Why Ships Sink

Treven

Just finished watching a fascinating show on NOVA, Why Ships Sink. It covered ships from the Titanic up through the Costa Concordia. It included some pax filming what was going on and an English translation of the Italian Coast Guard arguing with the ship's captain about him going back on board his ship. This was evidently filmed this past summer as at the end it talked about the capt could get up to 20 years in prison for manslaughter. That seems pretty puny for two people's deaths and the couple thousand lives put in jeopardy.

Darn, I missed another ship program! I agree that the 20 years seems puny. I'm guessing Carnival Corp. would think so as well.

I'm sure it will be shown again. Check your local PBS station's web site for NOVA, then see what/when is being shown.

Darn, I missed another ship program! I agree that the 20 years seems puny. I'm guessing Carnival Corp. would think so as well.

I'm sure it will be shown again. Check your local PBS station's web site for NOVA, then see what/when is being shown.

The show can be viewed online for free:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2223857670/

Just finished watching a fascinating show on NOVA, Why Ships Sink. It covered ships from the Titanic up through the Costa Concordia. It included some pax filming what was going on and an English translation of the Italian Coast Guard arguing with the ship's captain about him going back on board his ship. This was evidently filmed this past summer as at the end it talked about the capt could get up to 20 years in prison for manslaughter. That seems pretty puny for two people's deaths and the couple thousand lives put in jeopardy.

That is 32 lives lost, not 2. Today during his trial he placed the blame on the slow response of his helmsman for the disaster. He is exhibiting the same "not my fault" attitude he has had from the day of the disaster.

That seems pretty puny for two people's deaths and the couple thousand lives put in jeopardy.

While I may agree with you, that's the law in Italy. If that's the law, then I respect it.

I don't expect people from other countries to stipulate what our laws should be or visa versa.

Netflix is a pay service, so you won't be streaming it for free, but you can stream it ;)

He, he - yes, I should have chosen my words more carefully - I implied that in the "if you use Netflix" that is, if you are paying for the service, you can stream it for free :D

That is 32 lives lost, not 2. Today during his trial he placed the blame on the slow response of his helmsman for the disaster. He is exhibiting the same "not my fault" attitude he has had from the day of the disaster.

I stand corrected. I think where I got the two deaths from was there were two unaccounted for.

I remember one exchange between the capt & the coast guard person. The coast guard was telling him to get back on his ship and his response was that he was trying to, but there was something in the way. What was in his way was his cowardness.

It was 32 people lost - the two you mention are the missing bodies expected to be found once the ship is floated and de-watered.

Not my fault:

not in shipping lane: navigators fault

reef not on charts: chart makers fault

told helmsmen to turn he did not do what I told him: helmsman fault

not told that the ship will sink: engineering fault

did not ask for help: coastguard did not hear me correctly: coastguard fault

could not give instructions p/a did not work: p/a fault

fell into lifeboat could not get back on ship because passengers would not let me: passengers fault

see its the passengers fault they died

We also watched that. It was indeed fascinating and illuminating. We already preferred the smaller ships and this show only confirmed our opinion.

The show confirmed nothing about smaller ships being safer. After all, the Titanic was about the same size as the smaller ships today and it sank with a huge loss of life. The Oceanos was an even smaller ship at 14,000 tons and 550 passengers and it sank, fortunately with no loss of life. The Achille Lauro, also mentioned in the show, was yet another smaller ship, and it too sank. The only large cruise ship to sink was the Concordia, and it didn't actually sink, but ran aground and capsized onto it's side.

Size has nothing to do with it.

Archived