LIVE from the Royal Princess - 30 days, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale - 9/27 - 10/27

Pia1913

To all those onboard now, welcome to Ft. Lauderdale (tomorrow!)

I want to thank everyone of you who have posted your views while onboard. Very nice to get everyone's bird's eye view and thoughts! Thank you for taking us along and spending YOUR vacation telling us what we were missing!

May all of you have safe journeys home!

. . . Dangerous Hour Murder Mystery in Princess Live . . .

This sounds intriguing. And cheesy. (Intriguingly cheesy? Cheesily intriguing?) Did you go? Is it audience participation? Was it Miss Scarlett in the library with the candlestick?

Good Friday morning, our sixth consecutive day at sea. Disembarkation is getting close and some time today will be packing time. I never like to wait until the last day, a day I like to have completely free to come and go and do “whatever”, without feeling rushed.

Last night we thought about going to the dining room; it was escargot on the menu. But remembering that this wasn’t so good on the last cruise, we again opted for HC. And also, not having to get dressed in formal attire. Afterwards we spent a few hours in Princess Live, first participating in the Royal Categories Game Show (really Jeopardy) and laughing our heads off during the Liar’s Club. Clocks went back again too. Love that extra hour!

Busy morning today; four things to do at 10:00.

1. MUTS - “Hitch”

2. Arts & Crafts

3. Trivia

4. Culinary Demo

Also this morning is a lecture: The Story Behind the Fish we Eat, the Wake Show Live and another Pub Lunch in the Wheelhouse.

Afternoon brings us the lecture - Mexico & the Remarkable Story of Chocolate, and another lecture: Titanic Tragedy: New Look at the Lost Liner. Also on tap this afternoon is Mamma Mia on MUTS, the Pop Choir performance, a slot tournament and the CC Farewell M & G.

Tonights offerings are the production show Spectacular, male vocalist in Vista ,“The Way, Way Back” on MUTS, Dangerous Hour Murder Mystery in Princess Live and following that, Princess Pop Star.

Anita: when I read your wine statement, I really did laugh out loud. And at that time I was in the internet café and got a few peculiar stares. Happy to hear you like the cheapie purchase. :)

Mabones: No sign of Fimo Creations. I have been through the store many many times. Haven’t missed a thing.

Barb: Thank you. :D

Is that for those with negative reports about Royal Princess disappear into the secrets of the deep:D;)

Good morning (0550 local time) from the Royal Princess. Well the dreaded last full day at sea is here:(. Tomorrow we end out journey in Ft. Lauderdale after bringing the Royal across the pond for it's Carribean season. Not much on tap for today. My packing is done. After breakfast later in Sabatini's later I'll help Holli finish her packing. She may also see if she can get in a last minute simple hair appointment. For dinner tonight we plan to dine in Alfredo's for one last time.

We took advantage of EZ-Check for our luggage. Passenger services should be delivering the luggage tags after 2000 tonight. Tomorrow it will be a hopefully smooth disembarkation process then a short shuttle ride to Mia for our afternoon flight to LAX.

I wanted to thank PIA for allowing me to contribute to her "Live From" thread. I know that some of my initial posts were rather negative about my unhappiness with my cabin. While I still think the OS suite is an extreme waste of money, I think my initial thoughts about the suite might have caused my initial comments to be a little intense.

Every new ship has it's teething problems. I hope Princess can find a solution for the center stair case/elevator issues along with the soot issue for aft cabin/suite cruisers.

Overall I think the Royal is a beautiful ship with a variety of things to offer the cruising public. While I probably won't be booking the Royal/Regal anytime soon, I'm sure ther are many cruisers out there who will make these two ships their new "favorite ships.....:):):)"

Fair Winds and a Following Sea to All

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Good morning on the last sea day and our final day before tomorrow’s arrival into Ft. Lauderdale. I never got a chance to sign in again yesterday; internet was down most of the day. We finally got around to attending the Wake Show Live taping and saw ourselves (more like a glimpse) on TV this morning. Other than our multiple trivias, the only other accomplishment yesterday was doing 75% of our packing. Our CC farewell M & G was not well attended. So many prolific posters never turn up to these meetings.

Last night we wanted to watch the MUTS movie, but it was too windy outdoors so we went back to our cabin and watched Robert Redford in The Company you Keep.

Some things to do today:

1. “The Blind Side” on MUTS

2. Lecture: The World of Sharks

3. Lecture: Approaching America: Secrets of the Devil’s Triangle

4. Lecture: Tales for Travelers

5. “Quartet” in the theater

6. “Romancing the Stone” on MUTS

7. Arts and Crafts

Tonight’s offerings are:

1. “The Internship” on MUTS

2. Comedian Al Katz & vocalist Jennifer Fair in the theater

3. International Crew Show

It's just about 8 AM and the sun is thinking about coming up. Big fat black clouds in the sky right now. Hope they go away. Weather has been wonderful rhe entire crossing.

See you later

The Sanctuary was great yesterday. I got there to sign up for a lounger at 8:10am (it opens at 8:30am) and almost didn't get a lounger. I'm waiting here at 7:50am and am #5 in line. The loungers are deep, plush and comfortable. There is no complete shade but large canvases overhead block most of the sun most of the time. There are loungers in the full sun. It rained heavily for a few minutes mid-afternoon and everyone scurried to get under the cover of the common area. The common area is like a gazebo with comfortable couches and chairs on all four sides. The windbreaks at the front of the ship block most of the wind so the best location is directly behind the windbreak. However, those are usually taken by those booking for the whole cruise. I had #23 which was right behind the first row. The wind was very strong in the Retreat but more like a comfortable breeze in the Sanctuary. I went whole hog and ordered a jumbo hot dog and a slice of pepperoni pizza for lunch. :) $3 service charge.

We're flying out of MIA because the only direct FLL>LAX flight is at @11:30am and with a repositioning and brand new ship arriving in the US for the first time, I didn't want to chance it. I used FF miles and the only routing I could get for 1st Class was MIA>IAH>LAX so we fly out at 3:35pm and arrive in LAX at 8:30pm. There's a direct flight out of MIA a little earlier but I couldn't get FF seats. Should be home not much later than 10pm.

Mea culpa. I totally forgot about the M&G yesterday. :( It was pouring at about that time and I was huddled under cover in the Sanctuary. Flew out of my mind.

Edited by Pam in CA

I want to thank Pam, Amelia, Pia, and Bob for all of their interesting posts. You have clarified a great deal about the Royal for me, and I truly appreciate it. Safe home to all. Pia you are coming home to splendid weather; the a/c is off and the windows and screen door open.

Ruth-Ann

Since the ship is getting in on Sunday and the next cruise doesn't leave until Tuesday, what's going on with the ship. Special Inaugural celebrations??

Travel Agent 2 day introduction.

My TA will be onboard and I can't wait to hear her impression! :D

I wish I were a TA and boarding tomorrow! At least I will be seeing her up close and personal tomorrow when I go to the port to pick up my friends.

Enjoy your last sea day everyone, and thank you for bringing her here! :D

I have 29 days to wait...

Thank you Pia for starting this "Live" and thank you to all who posted such interesting and useful information. It is very generous of you to take time to write, read and log on, precious minutes that could be spent enjoying many activities or just relaxing. As always, comments from experienced cruisers, and not so experienced ones sometimes, are a great way to learn about all the so many details that can make a cruise even better. It is a live traveling guide. It has also been a way to "Escape" a little ( the completely would have been beeing on the ship;) ) everyday. Not only was the information interesting but it was written in a way that lets you feel the ambiance and the mood.

Have a safe trip back home and hopefully,read you soon again.

Pia,

I can't believe it's been 30 days since you boarded. It seemed to go by so fast. Imagine what it feels like on a 7 day cruise, like a blip!

I've enjoyed reading the daily exploits of you, Bob, Pam and others. Safe travels home and till the next! Thank you for taking the time.

Ron

Our last sea day and time to pack. We are still waiting for laundry to come back. That has been a major problem this cruise. It takes at least five days. Everyone is doing last minute shopping and we are giving away water bottles as there is no room to pack them. Usually I am packed by now. It will get done eventually.

They'd mastermind trivia is tonight in Princess Live at 7:45. We will have to get thru dinner to support our team member who made it as a mastermind. It is also the crew show tonight.

Looking forward to heading home.

Pia, please tell that quartet in the Piazza to STAY PUT and not disembark in Fort Lauderdale. I want a string quartet on a Princess ship in the Caribbean please!

Many thanks to all who spent valuable cruise time and did (it seems like) battle with the ship's internet to post. I enjoyed all of your posts, as it felt like you've slid me right in to my own Royal adventure. Safe travels home.

Guest USC Traveler

pam...i did the boat tour of ft lauderdale last year and seeing the homes and yachts there is quite amazing. it's also amazing how many are up for sale. when you're on las olas blvd, there is a fabulous italian bakery with freshly made italian pastries, if you're into fabulous italian pastries (who isn't?) they are great!

enjoy the day and flight home, miss first class. first class is how to do it on a long flight home. happy to know you made this cruise so successful for you and your sister.

Edited by USC Traveler

Mea culpa. I totally forgot about the M&G yesterday. :( It was pouring at about that time and I was huddled under cover in the Sanctuary. Flew out of my mind.

My apologies as well for missing the farewell M & G as I simply forgot about it.....:(:(:(

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Thanks to all those on the transatlantic who have contributed to this thread. It's been interesting to follow along. Now as I sit in the STL airport awaiting our flight to FLL, it's really sinking in that l'll be on board in 3 days!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Another thank you to all who took the time to post while on the Royal. It was very interesting to read different views on things and learn so much about the ship..both good and bad. Next week at this time we'll be at the airport and anxiously awaiting Sunday when we finally board the Royal:)

Hi

Let me add my thanks, as well. It seems that your transatlantic cruise just flew by.

Yes, the Las Olas area is really something. We hang out around the Cheesecake Factory :D and Wentworth Studios. We went to the French Restaurant for breakfast once, and Mangos, etc. It is our second home since we live about 2 1/2 hours northwest. Ft. L is our annual destination when my son comes to visit each year from California.

We will be on the Royal Princess November 17, and are really looking forward to it. Thanks, again, for all your reports. They were terrific.

Lynne

Many, many thanks to those of you who posted their thoughts and experiences (Pam, Pia, Bob, Amelia, etc). It's been a great read, and I'm very excited since my princess desktop widget shows 2 days and change until our cruise.

If anyone on the ship is at the Ft. Lauderdale airport around 5:30 tomorrow, and sees someone wandering around with an "Elite Ballroom sweater either on our around her waist - that's me! Say hi.

Thank you again for your posts and your committment