WIFI Question

doone

Been a while since I have sailed and with all the new technology just wondering if the ships today have free wifi onboard or do you need to purchase a plan? If it makes a difference, we will be sailing on the Niew Amsterdam. Thanks,

To use wifi on the ships, you do need to purchase a plan.

As has been pointed out some ports have free or cheap wifi. I have found issues in some of the free wifi spots as so many people are using it so in that scenario I go to a cafe/bar where they have free wifi and have found the reception much faster.

Been a while since I have sailed and with all the new technology just wondering if the ships today have free wifi onboard or do you need to purchase a plan? If it makes a difference, we will be sailing on the Niew Amsterdam. Thanks,

If you have a smart phone check with your carrier and see if they offer a global plan for your phone. Newer ships are supported as are many ports. Found it to be way cheaper than the ships plans. But sometimes coverage is sporadic and signal strength can be low in many spots on a ship. If you need constant contact then get the ships plan but be prepared to pay and get slow service.

Dan

Unlike a wired land connection, a satellite connection is expensive. If it ever becomes "free" to us it will be because it is built into the price of the cruise. :(

Edited by jtl513

One way to deal with the slowness of shipboard internet is to do your composing offline (ie. in Word), and then go online and into your email, and copy and paste the message. I have used this method for several years, and always have at least a third of my internet package minutes left at the end of each cruise.

Not only does HA charge big bucks (40-60 cents per minute) for their awful internet signal....but unlike most cruise lines they have not even bothered to offer ship-wide WiFi on many of their vessels. When we cruise on ships like the Westerdam it is necessary to go to a public lounge in order to use WiFi. The speed of the connection varies depending on location and the number of others using the internet....but is generally about the speed of an old 2400 baud modem.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Internet Prices

The advantage of having your own laptop is that you can work off-line and then just copy and paste once you are online -- will save minutes.

It doesn't matter whether you use the ship's computers or you take your own lap top -- the price is the same for Internet:

You will be charged a one-time activation fee of $3.95.

Satellite Internet Time Plans:

Pay as you go $0.75 Per Minute

Time Plan 1: 1000 Minutes -- $250.00

Time Plan 2: 500 Minutes -- $175.00

Time Plan 3: 250 Minutes -- $100.00

Time Plan 4: 100 Minutes -- $55.00.

Many times you can get bonus minutes for the various plans -- it is not always advertised -- you have to ask -- and it has to be done on Embarkation Day.

Also look for other specials advertised in the daily program.

Warning -- the Internet can be sloooooow at times.

Not only does HA charge big bucks (40-60 cents per minute) for their awful internet signal....but unlike most cruise lines they have not even bothered to offer ship-wide WiFi on many of their vessels. When we cruise on ships like the Westerdam it is necessary to go to a public lounge in order to use WiFi. The speed of the connection varies depending on location and the number of others using the internet....but is generally about the speed of an old 2400 baud modem.

Hank

During the past year, we have been on the Noordam (Caribbean), Eurodam (Caribbean) and Nieuw Amsterdam (Mediterranean) and have not had any speed problems with either iPad or laptop in any area of the ship, including our room and balcony (even using FaceTime from the balcony). I believe HAL has upgraded their systems and we now get speeds fairly similar to those we get at home.

p.s. Hopefully, the next issue they deal with will be the price structure.

Edited by taxmantoo

We don't bother with ship internet any more. It is too expensive, too slow, and we do not really need it. Wifi in port works for us. And sometimes we can pick up a signal on our balcony, or on deck when in port.

We AVOID the free wifi at the port areas and like others go to a coffee shop or bar to get a decent signal. We travelled for nine months with an ipad...we never paid for internet service anywhere.

...but is generally about the speed of an old 2400 baud modem.

... and we now get speeds fairly similar to those we get at home.
Speed tests I have run on HAL ships in the last 3 years or so disagree with both these extremes. Current typical speed on a HAL ship in my tests is 300 to 400 Kbps. That's 4% to 6% of home DSL or cable, but still 6 to 7 times faster than 53 Kbps dial-up, never mind ancient 2.4 Kbps modems! Edited by jtl513

Speed tests I have run on HAL ships in the last 3 years or so disagree with both these extremes. Current typical speed on a HAL ship in my tests is 300 to 400 Kbps. That's 4% to 6% of home DSL or cable, but still 6 to 7 times faster than 53 Kbps dial-up, never mind ancient 2.4 Kbps modems!

Have you run any tests within the last 6 months?

Unlike a wired land connection, a satellite connection is expensive. If it ever becomes "free" to us it will be because it is built into the price of the cruise. :(

This is a little misleading. We have sailed a few times on Princess and are considered "Platinum", something like 3 stars on HAL. We get free internet minutes as one of the perks. Not a lot, and you get more for a longer cruise, but it has always been more than enough for me to check my email each day. Don't think it is built into the price of the cruise anymore than any advertised perk, such as free laundry for 4 star mariners.

This is a little misleading. ... Don't think it is built into the price of the cruise anymore than any advertised perk, such as free laundry for 4 star mariners.
All perks are part of the business overhead costs, and are built into the prices charged.

Thanks everyone for the great infi, I am taking my iPad and smartphone, will check probably purchase a plan.

For example my carrier is Verizon and they offer a Global plan for the time aboard. It's prorated. So the week I'm on it I only get charged for 20% of the monthly rate. If you want to use your tablet you can tether from the smart phone. I think all major carriers carry a global plan.

Dan

This is a little misleading. We have sailed a few times on Princess and are considered "Platinum", something like 3 stars on HAL. We get free internet minutes as one of the perks. Not a lot, and you get more for a longer cruise, but it has always been more than enough for me to check my email each day. Don't think it is built into the price of the cruise anymore than any advertised perk, such as free laundry for 4 star mariners.

We are Five Star Mariners on HAL and get 50% discount off 100 minute package. I did not check our bill that closely but I think on our recent Veendam cruise, I purchased the 250 minute package and got the discount.

• 9 months later...

Hank

Agree that it was slow, and expensive but access in our stateroom was fine, Even several years ago on the Westerdam.