"Travel stuff" drawer at home

gator489

When we remodeled our dressing room, I set aside a small drawer to be used for travel “stuff.” When I return from a cruise, I put the stuff I always take (but won’t be using in the interim) back into the drawer. As we get closer to the trip, I start adding to it with things like jewelry, extra pair of glasses… The drawer is not limited to just cruising – I add things I take on airplanes. There is a quart size plastic bag with hand sanitizer, eye drops, etc. that meets the requirements of TSA. I find I am forgetting fewer things.

We travel a lot so this works for us - won't be for everyone.

We have a suitcase, actually a folding garment bag on rollers which we use for our formal gear and it has a couple of compartments where we keep things for cruising. Items like meds, shot glass, corkscrew, Shout, band-aids, cuff links, studs, power bar, small speaker for iPod, flashlight, calling cards, playing cards, night light, hats, folding rain gear, insect repellent and a myriad of other things that we think we need but never do.:rolleyes:

Instead of a drawer, we have a medium size plastic storage container (approx. 20" w x 12" d x 12" h) with a hinged lid that we keep our travel/cruise stuff in. Things like a couple of packable back packs, luggage scale, reusable small bottles for liquids, battery operated night light, and other related gear.

I have a piece of luggage that stays under the bed. When I return from a cruise or vacation, I put the items that are going to be needed for the next trip, then I add to it during the year. I don't really do anything except slide the zipper and toss the item in. When it starts getting close to time for the next cruise/trip, it's fun to see what I've accumulated, what's going and what's staying home. I know have a travel hair dryer with adapter, the thing to weigh the luggage, permanent luggage tags with our home airport code, all the luggage tags, boxes of the x-tra large zip lock bags, packages of antiseptic wipes, inexpensive watch, etc. I also use the closet in the spare room for formal wear and things we always carry on a trip.

Since we travel frequently, we have our travel/vacation items stored in 2 different locations. There is a drawer in the ensuite bathroom that holds all of our travel toiletries, toiletry bags, travel hairdrier, etc. Makes it easy to just grab and go for a short trip.

In the basement we have a pantry cupboard that holds the items we usually need on longer trips: packing lists, zip lock and packing bags, travel size tissues, sanitizer, wet wipes, adapters, ponchos, telescoping umbrella, travel journal, money belts, day packs- basically anything that isn't a toiletry or clothing item.

Packing tubes - that's our preferred mode of keeping everything handy as a travel "Go Bag" on a moment's notice, if necessary. (from online, eBags with lifetime warranty, no questions asked - ones from Rick Steves are good and on a budget, check out your local Ikea store - they got them too, yup !!!!)

A mix of assorted sizes, depending on length of cruise (use them for air travel, of course - to pack everything in a MLC or 22" carryon a/k/a Maximum Legal Carryon - including a global phone w. charger and a travel laptop/network that's clean & sterile (so that it won't "infect" the home or office PC)

We have a bin at our daughters where we store travel stuff (not just cruise stuff). We have various foreign adaptors and night lights, folding umbrella, backpack, foreign currency, foil packets of mosquito repellent and sun screen, lanyards. And a bunch of other stuff I can't remember!

When we remodeled our dressing room, I set aside a small drawer to be used for travel “stuff.” When I return from a cruise, I put the stuff I always take (but won’t be using in the interim) back into the drawer. As we get closer to the trip, I start adding to it with things like jewelry, extra pair of glasses… The drawer is not limited to just cruising – I add things I take on airplanes. There is a quart size plastic bag with hand sanitizer, eye drops, etc. that meets the requirements of TSA. I find I am forgetting fewer things.

We travel a lot so this works for us - won't be for everyone.

I do this too and it's great! All I have to do is check expiration dates and make sure I'm not running low on any items.

Saves a lot of time and money.............you won't be buying stuff you already have plenty of.

Our first cruise was 82 days. After the cruise I was bored. I told my husband I wanted to remodel the bathroom. He said "sure go ahead". Then I said, if I remodel the bathroom, perhaps I should remodel the kitchen too. He said "sure go ahead". Before you knew it; I had the house knocked down and build a new house :D. I now have a closet for my cruise shoes, handbags, gowns and dresses. I also have a closet for my luggage.

Archived