Thoughts on the Caribbean

JVNYC

Thank you to all who commented on my last thread on French Polynesia. I'm interested in hearing your honest thoughts and reviews on the Caribbean…specifically the ports that Oceania visits.

I hear so many people say that every Caribbean island is the same and I also hear that it’s also not the nicest part of the world and that a lot of the islands have become rundown. Then I see fantastic photos of St. Barts. I am open minded and interested in hearing from those that have recently visited to hear your experiences and opinions.

As always, I appreciate your info!

I posted this earlier elsewhere..

In fact I am fairly convinced that there is really only ONE ISLAND there. ST THOJAMLUCIABADOS.

Every night the Ship sets sail, goes out to sea and returns to the same Island but at a different Port. Same Cab Drivers....same Jewellery Shops, Hotels and the list goes on.

This is my own personal conspracy theory !

I guess the first time around the places are OK

Brian

In fact I am fairly convinced that there is really only ONE ISLAND there. ST THOJAMLUCIABADOS.

Every night the Ship sets sail, goes out to sea and returns to the same Island but at a different Port. Same Cab Drivers....same Jewellery Shops, Hotels and the list goes on.

Brian

The islands the cruise ships frequent resemble shopping malls and fast food emporiums IMO.

We love the islands but fly there and stay and not in the areas where ships dumps tens of thousands of passengers every day.

Each island is unique in it's own way

You need to get away from the Diamonds international, Carlos & charlies area & see what the island has to offer besides the beaches

There is a lot of history on some of the islands & beauty in the scenery but you usually will not find it at the dock

Yes the saying is "if you have seen one Island you have seen them all"

And after a while you really start to think so ;)

do an island tour with a local guide

Lyn

I am doing a Caribbean cruise in December (NEVER thought I would) but my TA convinced me to sail with him and I plan to have a ball. So this cruise is an "extra" for this year.

Since I usually cruise to more exotic and more interesting places -- for the culture and the history, I am not looking at this trip not as port intensive (I care little about the ports), but more ship intensive. I am making no plans, booking no private tours and I will just enjoy the ship and the view. A restful cruise -- what a novel idea!!!!

Fortunately we are not going to St Thomas, which is a dangerous hellhole IMO. We will stop in San Juan (which is interesting) and in some ports I have never been to -- Turks & Caicos, St. Barts, St. Maarten and La Romana. Not so bad.

I'll suffer.

We have done many Carbbean trips, and have booked more. I look at it as a vacation where I can enjoy the ship and the beautiful water, sun and sand. Each island is different, some flat and sandy, some with lush foliage. Each has a different culture. I do not see cruiseing as a way to see a country or city. We were in europe and spent a day in Paris and Rome, can not see much. As a NYer I can not see coming here for six hours and saying you saw the city. I find no pleasure in leaving the ship early, rideing all day on a minivan see all sorts of stuff for a short while and returning to the ship too tired to take advantage of the great things the ship has to offer. However each there owne.

Brian

Love it! I think there are two islands, though, one that is flat and one that has hills.

We still do the occasional Caribbean cruise (in fact, we're going on Behemoth of the Seas in December just to see the ship). The best island we have visited (and we've been to most) is St. Bart's. We also liked Virgin Gorda and there are a few more that were memorable. There are others that should be avoided (Jamaica, Nassau, St. Thomas).

I guess my husband and I are in the minority here, because we LOVE the Caribbean. Each island has its own unique natural beauty. We are not shoppers (except for the obligatory shot glass and magnet), but prefer to talk with local citizens about their lives on their island nation, have a (local) drink in a local's hangout, and just appreciate that we are lucky enough to travel to these beautiful places. Being from Massachusetts, we also appreciate the sunny and hot weather the Caribbean offers us (our usual summers are about 15 minutes long here). :) Whether we take an island tour, spend the day at the beach, take a planned excursion or bum around for the day, we have never thought all islands were the same.

Love it! I think there are two islands, though, one that is flat and one that has hills.

We still do the occasional Caribbean cruise (in fact, we're going on Behemoth of the Seas in December just to see the ship).

:D

Which Behemoth are you on and when in Dec?

The Caribbean has up until recently been of no interest to us however we now don't care where our ship takes us and if it's beautiful so much the better.

For us it will be a part of the world which will require little research and just be

enjoyable provided it's not to hot to walk off the ship to get the flavor of the islands.

As the saying goes: "Wherever you go, there you are."

Might as well enjoy what they have to offer. We have enjoyed just walking around, trying local food and drink, visiting local museums and reflecting on past history and present situations.

Brian, HMC is really a beautiful place. It has been compromised by carnival as they built lots of cabanas to rent, a water park and a pirate ship bar, however the sand is like powder and the water is beautiful. Hope you are not on the Ziderdam, our last HAL trip, and I do mean last, was on her to the Panama Canal. No AC and toilets on and off for the trip, ship was very run down. Guess Carnival has to pay for the Costa problem somehow.

Brian

1 time is really enough... like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer

Add to that and it seems like everyone is on spring break and with rare exceptions there will be multiple, ( up to 4) ships as as many 8-10,000 day passengers ashore.

Shopping and drinking seem to top the list. Worse, the vibe on the ship is hurry , buy, drink. drink, buy, hurry.

Climate wise with few exceptions like St Lucia and Puerto Rico the islands are all really true desert islands with scrub and cacti. With the exception of ST John there is not much to see

You are wise to stay on the ship in many ports and enjoy the break from people/crowds. Getting away from the crowds can put you into some dangerous places people wise ( Jamaca, St Thomas ,St Croix, Puerto Rico, StLucia , Grenada, Domica , Belize, Guatemala),. I spent 1 hour on "That special beach" cay.... could not wait to get back aboard... poor beach, poor water, sell sell sell everywhere.

:D

Which Behemoth are you on and when in Dec?

We're doing a Christmas cruise on Oasis, December 21-28. I've booked four specialty restaurants, we snagged a cabana at Labadee and we plan to spend most of the cruise relaxing and checking out the many bars on board. We only booked one show (we are not usually interested in shows, hence our growing love for Oceania).

We plan to have fun and not set our expectations too high.

I am doing a Caribbean cruise in December (NEVER thought I would) but my TA convinced me to sail with him and I plan to have a ball. So this cruise is an "extra" for this year.

Since I usually cruise to more exotic and more interesting places -- for the culture and the history, I am not looking at this trip not as port intensive (I care little about the ports), but more ship intensive. I am making no plans, booking no private tours and I will just enjoy the ship and the view. A restful cruise -- what a novel idea!!!!

Fortunately we are not going to St Thomas, which is a dangerous hellhole IMO. We will stop in San Juan (which is interesting) and in some ports I have never been to -- Turks & Caicos, St. Barts, St. Maarten and La Romana. Not so bad.

I'll suffer.

I wouldn't look too forward to La Romana.

I guess it depends on your POV

We enjoyed St Lucia, St Kitts, Dominica, Grenada some green & lush some not

some have islands are full of history of the island & it's people

some have beautiful beaches

Just depends on your interests

Do some research then go explore

I love architecture but touring in parts of Europe you begin to say "oh no another church" ;)

I think you can find something to enjoy anywhere if you want to look or why travel ..

YMMD

Lyn

Thank you to all who commented on my last thread on French Polynesia. I'm interested in hearing your honest thoughts and reviews on the Caribbean…specifically the ports that Oceania visits.

I hear so many people say that every Caribbean island is the same and I also hear that it’s also not the nicest part of the world and that a lot of the islands have become rundown. Then I see fantastic photos of St. Barts. I am open minded and interested in hearing from those that have recently visited to hear your experiences and opinions.

We are so over the Caribbean. If we never go there again I would be happy. We do not feel the same about French Polynesia. Have been there five times and would go again!

St. Barts was such a disappointment! There are beautiful, incredible yachts in the bay with poor upscale shops in the port. If you had not been to French Polynesia, you may find the water beautiful. Since you have been to French Polynesia, you will find aqua waters with nothing in them (in terms of snorkeling).

Some ports are dangerous at night. Cruise ship passengers have been robbed in some ports (not naming names -- it isn't fair since they depend upon tourism). IMO, the Caribbean is for main stream cruisers on the east coast (the west coast has Hawaii and do not need the Caribbean). Cruisers who just want a cruise experience and plan to spend most of their time on the ship will enjoy the experience on the ship.

Caribbean? Never again!!!!!!!

I guess it depends on your POV

We enjoyed St Lucia, St Kitts, Dominica, Grenada some green & lush some not

some have islands are full of history of the island & it's people

some have beautiful beaches

Just depends on your interests

Do some research then go explore

I love architecture but touring in parts of Europe you begin to say "oh no another church" ;)

I think you can find something to enjoy anywhere if you want to look or why travel ..

YMMD

Lyn

I wholeheartedly agree with you ... perhaps the Toronto connection?

Methinks there is a double standard going on here. People speak of the Caribbean as if they are "slumming" or somehow lowering their otherwise impeccable standards.

I have frankly had wonderful days in St. Thomas, Nassau and in various Mexican ports. If people applied the same research and planning as they did to their European ports, I'm sure they could have a wonderful time.

If you just get off the ship in Civitavecchia (middle o' nowhere), Barcelona (why don't I just give you my wallet now to save me the anguish of discovering it's gone later) or Dubrovnik ("hon, it's OK if you faint from the heat and the crowds - there are so many people pushed up against us, you could never hit the ground"), you are guaranteed to have a miserable time.

Is waiting for the cablecar for an hour or walking through donkey poo for 45 minutes in Santorini a trip highlight for you?

Of course, you will have done your due diligence for all of those ports and will be ready and prepared.

There's no denying that the Caribbean is skewed towards nature - outdoor activities such as the beach, water sports and sailing and not towards museums or historical sites.

I am constantly amazed that people forget that travel is a privilege and not a right ... if you have the health, the ability and the means to go ... and to go on Oceania, perhaps you should see your chiropractor before your trip for a little attitude adjustment!

I think we've done a total of two Caribbean cruises -- one on the QE2 about 10 years ago, one on Regatta a year or two later.

I've decided not to return. I won't say never, but it's not my favorite.

OTOH, we spent two wonderful summers on Anguilla before it was discovered -- around 1983/1984. We loved it. But those weren't on cruises.

The first year we split our time between Anguilla and St. Maarten, and realized too lalte that we couldn't stand St. M.! But we did love Anguilla.

We stayed at a condo community where no one was there (which explains why it went belly up). It cost $225 per week for a 2 bedroom apartment with maid service and we were right on the beach. When I asked the gardener what those plants were he brought several to me and explained they were mangos, that I could cook them like a squash which I did and they were wonderful.

Back then the ultra-expensive fancy places were just being built.

We were swimming at the beach next door one day when a yacht sailed over from St. Barts and the occupants were really irritated that "we" were on "their" beach. But we held our ground and THEY left.

We haven't been back since then but we really loved our time there ... not a particularly pretty island but the snorkeling is fabulous.

Going through customs the guard wanted to know what "that" was. "A frozen chicken", I said. He waved us on through ... Friends of mine had worked as chefs at a resort on St. Thomas not long before and advised us to bring food with us, so we froze a quart of milk and a chicken and a few other things. They came in handy because not much food was available for people staying on the island ... But the customs guy thought we were a little weird.

Mura

I always used to think - seen one island, seen them all and as I am not a beachy person (and can't swim) it didn't appeal at all! Then it occurred to me that I shouldn't say that until I had at least done one Caribbean cruise. That was last year (not O). I was astonished how different they all were and just how much history survives if you get past the beaches and markets. But what amazed me most of all was the wonderful wildlife. I guess if you are from the US it might not be so fascinating, but I spent ages just watching my first hummingbird - then there are the turtles, chameleons, giant frigate birds, pelicans, parrots...............I was captivated and for my big birthday - one of those where the number at the front changes :( ) I am going back, this time to some different islands, on a 28 night cruise.

Ibring food with us, so we froze a quart of milk and a chicken and a few other things. They came in handy because not much food was available for people staying on the island ... But the customs guy thought we were a little weird.

Mura

Slightly off the topic... on your comment adove. Walt Disney, when traveling abroad brought cans of Denisons Chili to eat.

At the premier of Mary Poppins in London he stayed at the Dorchester, and had the chef fix him his cans of Chili daily for dinner, ( Walt hated steaks, chops roasts) and loveded mac and cheese and spam.......... so your in good company.:D

Our favorite island is Barbados. Take a drive along the Atlantic coast; eat lunch -- especially a flying fish sandwich -- at Crane's Beach Club restaurant overlooking the beach; for a small dose of history, visit Sunbury Plantation House and the 17th century Bridgetown Jewish Synagogue and museum. Or make up your own list of favorites; there's more to do on Barbados than on the typical Caribbean island.

We're not fans of St. Barts. The hotels and beach clubs do not rent lounge chairs to day visitors. While the beach is public and the hotel owners can't chase you away, you have to be prepared to spread your towel on the sand to make do. My French is good enough to cope if the shop keepers go into a disdainful French mode and pretend they don't speak English. So I come away from the total St. Barts experience thinking "Pretty is as pretty does."

Our favorite beach on Antigua is Turner's Beach. We like the combination of shade from beach structures and wave-free water. There's a beach bar there, too.

The downtown shopping area of no island is very pretty, but if you really want to shop the variety and pricing is excellent on most of the islands.

Still, there's no vacation is relaxing as a Caribbean cruise.

Climate wise with few exceptions like St Lucia and Puerto Rico the islands are all really true desert islands with scrub and cacti. With the exception of ST John there is not much to see

You are wise to stay on the ship in many ports and enjoy the break from people/crowds. Getting away from the crowds can put you into some dangerous places people wise ( Jamaca, St Thomas ,St Croix, Puerto Rico, StLucia , Grenada, Domica , Belize, Guatemala),. I spent 1 hour on "That special beach" cay.... could not wait to get back aboard... poor beach, poor water, sell sell sell everywhere.

Desert islands are not our favourites. While I would prefer a week in Aruba any January or February to a week in Ontario, we love the more lush places like Grenada, Dominica, St Lucia, and Guatemala. Yet in all our favourite islands we have heard people say that they did not bother getting off the ship because there is nothing there. How would they know? :confused::rolleyes:

All the Caribbean islands are exactly the same - if you do not go past the bars, the Diamonds International and the chain hotels. If you do go a little further, you will find gorgeous scenery, interesting activities, friendly people, and even history if you bother to research it.

Why not read James A Michener's "Caribbean". Parts are pretty brutal, but that is the islands' history.

Archived