Advice re once in a lifetime Alaskan cruise

Pushka

Hi folks. We are planning our one and only Alaskan cruise (being Australian its quite a trip to plan) and have decided that we would like a Princess cruise on Coral Princess. We are looking at cruising in July 2015 so bookings not open yet.

I am thinking a North bound Voyage of the Glaciers so that we capture Glacier Bay (from all the comments here. :) )

We would book a balcony, and possibly a mini suite. So, I take it there are balconies that are covered, partially, or uncovered. There is a lack of privacy with some.

So experts, I am thinking starboard, and taking note of Toms information, assuming I book as the 2015 bookings start, I'm not sure if an aft would also work, and basically I am a little confused. So I'd love some help.

And also, when do the 2015 cruises open. I gather I have to be quick.

The Coral Princess is a great ship for Alaska. This website will help you pick out a balcony:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/

The categories may be different now but you can tell by cabin numbers.

This year and several years past, both NB and SB do Glacier Bay. NB includes College Fiords and Glacier Bay. Southbound includes Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. I give a slight edge to Southbound but not by much.

I have done Alaska probably 10x - I don't necessarily buy into the Port vs Starboard as they both have great scenery most of the time. When at the glaciers, you will want to be on deck the entire time, and not your balcony. Views from both sides will be better.

The Coral Princess doesn't have any "true aft cabins" but there are some mini-suites very near the aft that are covered which would be my pick IMO. The aft area is open for viewing. It is different compared to the Grand class ships.

Good luck planning :) 2015 will probably open up in March/April of 2014.

Edited by Coral

Hi folks. We are planning our one and only Alaskan cruise (being Australian its quite a trip to plan) and have decided that we would like a Princess cruise on Coral Princess. We are looking at cruising in July 2015 so bookings not open yet.

I am thinking a North bound Voyage of the Glaciers so that we capture Glacier Bay (from all the comments here. :) )

We would book a balcony, and possibly a mini suite. So, I take it there are balconies that are covered, partially, or uncovered. There is a lack of privacy with some.

So experts, I am thinking starboard, and taking note of Toms information, assuming I book as the 2015 bookings start, I'm not sure if an aft would also work, and basically I am a little confused. So I'd love some help.

The Coral Princess is one of my favorite Princess ships. You will like her.

The starboard side is what I would pick for a northbound cruise but either side will be great. I have taken 3 Alaskan cruises, one southbound and two roundtrip out of Seattle and Vancouver. I would also go the extra expense and book a mini suite rather than a balcony just for the couch and the tub/shower.

I booked a July 2014 Alaskan cruise as soon as they were opened for booking in March of 2013.

I should warn you that Alaskan cruises are addicting and the day will come when you want to book another one and include a land tour with the cruise.

If you taking a land tour as well . Start with the Land Tour followed by a SB voyage on the Coral. This is a comment that I have heard on all three of our 14 Alaska cruises from Vancouver .

There actually is quite a difference between port and starboard and port is far superior on a Northbound sailing if you plan to view scenery and take photos from your balcony. When sailing north, the sun will be rising from the east, which is the starboard side. Most of the time you will have mountains off to that side and the height of the mountains will cause the starboard scenery to be cast in shade. But the morning sun will bathe the port side in flattering morning light which will make a big difference in your photos. Then, as the sun peeks over the starboard mountains, you will be staring into it if you are on the starboard side making photography difficult. Later in the day, as you sail out of the ports, being on the port side will give you sunset views, light and warmth...something that cannot be overlooked in AK. In Glacier Bay, port is far, far superior. Yes, going up on deck is great. But you will be in Glacier Bay very early in the day, (like 6:00 a.m.) If you aren't ready to make a public appearance at that hour but still want to take in the scenery, you absolutely want a port side cabin. As far as the better side whilst in the ports, that is a toss-up unless you know for certain which dock you will berth in.

Here is my full review with photos and some commentary about which side presented the better photo ops.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1903541

If this is to be your only Alaska cruise, and you do not plan to do a land tour, I suggest you book a back to back on Coral. That way you get two chances to explore the ports. And flights are much easier into and out of Seattle or Vancouver. EM

If this is to be your only Alaska cruise, and you do not plan to do a land tour, I suggest you book a back to back on Coral. That way you get two chances to explore the ports. And flights are much easier into and out of Seattle or Vancouver. EM

If your not doing a land tour do a 14 day round trip from Vancouver on Princess . Holland has 14 day from Seattle that actually visits some of the smaller ports and Anchorage itself.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

I did a B2B on the Coral this past July. We had a forward mini-suite on Baja deck and loved the location. It was great to go from the balcony to the front "secret door" open deck. The beauty of our back to back was that we had 2 days in Glacier Bay. Our first day there had cold and rainy weather and it was difficult to spend much time outside. Our second day there was a perfectly glorious sunny day. We were so happy we had a second chance at good weather there. No guarantees on weather, of course, but we loved our back to back.

If this will be your only trip to Alaska, please seriously consider a land tour before a southbound cruise. We did our only Alaska CruiseTour starting around June 13, 2012. We had such wonderful weather, beautiful views, terrific excursions with wildlife photo ops that we still talk about how wonderful it was.

Thanks for all the brilliant information. It has summarised all the different tips I've read in multiple threads. :p

We will probably be doing a 10 day self drive Rockies tour as well. Which seems right on the advice here. And yes, our only Alaska cruise methinks.

Thanks for the info re Port and Starboard. I assumed starboard would be best but there are other issues to consider. Is it ok to do a B2B? Isn't there a US law?

Thanks again everyone.

Edited by Pushka

Thanks for the info re Port and Starboard. I assumed starboard would be best but there are other issues to consider. Is it ok to do a B2B? Isn't there a US law?

Thanks again everyone.

You can do Vancouver to Whittier and then Whittier to Vancouver. Or Whittier to Vancouver and then Vancouver to Whittier. So yes, a B2B can be done. I do it in case the weather is bad one week, hopefully the following week will be better. I also do it because I love Alaska and there is so much to do.

I have done it 3x and honestly, and because of that, I have had "the correct side" one way and "the incorrect side" the other direction as I stayed in the same cabin and honestly have not noticed the difference and I spend a ton of time outside. I wouldn't get hung up on port or starboard. I do spend most of my glacier days on deck so I can see both sides but when you are just sailing, there is land on both sides most of the time.

I agree with the others - port or starboard doesn't matter as much as being out on deck to take photos and see the sights. We loved the Coral as well in an aft cabin on Baja (B637). I got some great shots from our balcony but often went to the aft to take shots from either side or behind the ship. I highly recommend taking some time pre-cruise to visit Denali and take the train back down to Whittier. Also, book any excursions early to get the best choice. Flightseeing was one of our favorites from either Talkeetna or Misty Fjords (we did both). One of my favorite trips and look forward to doing it again!

Is it ok to do a B2B? Isn't there a US law?
The law you mention doesn't allow foreign flagged carriers to carry passengers from one U.S. port to another without a stop in a distant foreign port. As there are no "distant" foreign ports between the west coast of the mainland U.S. and Alaska, you won't find one-way cruises from Seattle to Alaska. If they were offered, everyone would be required to do B2B in order to comply with the law. That is why HAL offers a 14-day r/t cruise from Seattle, it is a "closed loop" cruise.

One way cruises are offered from Vancouver. Sailings from Canada to the U.S. are beyond the scope of that law.

One way cruises are offered from Vancouver. Sailings from Canada to the U.S. are beyond the scope of that law.

You can sell (2) one way cruises such as Vancouver to Whittier and then Whittier to Vancouver or vice versa.

You can not sail from Whittier or Seward Alaska to Seattle as Roger posted.

BTW - the Canadian Rockies is on my bucket list!

Edited by Coral

The Coral is a great choice, along with her sister the Island. Love the tiered open aft decks to watch the scenery and be out of the wind. I spent many evenings sitting in the Sanctuary area after it closed in the evening just watching the world go by.

I personally prefer the port side, if you're in your cabin while approaching the glaciers I think the scenery is better and the commentary is done while you are sailing in, not out.

Also unless you are doing a land trip in Alaska I would also highly recommend doing a B2B from Vancouver/Whittier/Vancouver to maximize sights and glacier viewing

• 2 months later...

Going on my first cruise to Alaska this July. I am very interested in taking a flight seeing tour. I would love some suggestions for how I might book this. Thank you!

Also very interested in seeing the dog sledding info. Any suggestions?:)

Going on my first cruise to Alaska this July. I am very interested in taking a flight seeing tour. I would love some suggestions for how I might book this. Thank you!

Also very interested in seeing the dog sledding info. Any suggestions?:)

In Juneau the "Taku Lodge Flightseeing" through Princess.

I would rate it in the top 2 we have ever done!

http://takulodge.com/

I have done my once in a lifetime Alaska cruise 4 times now and have another scheduled for 2014. By far the best one was last August 2013 on the Coral Princess. We were in a balcony cabin on Emerald deck near the aft. It was a fabulous location because there is a nice deck all across the aft of the ship which was so close to the cabin and hardly ever crowded. We spent way more time on this back deck than we spent on our own balcony. This Sunday I leave on a Panama cruise on the Coral, will be on the Emerald deck for that one too.

We took the ship shuttle from Whittier to Anchorage. This was a good time too. The Whittier tunnel is amazing, we saw Beluga whales (white) in Turnagain channel (think that is right) and got dropped in Anchorage (our luggage was taken to airport). Anchorage looks good ,we want to spend time there sometime in the future. Then we flew direct on Air Canada to Vancouver (Alaska air flies you to Seattle direct)

I would do this trip every year if I could. ..........

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We did a b2b on the Island. On the southbound leg we sailed thru an area with a ton of whales on the last day, somewhere near Vancouver Island. Very exciting. We must have sailed thru the same area on the northbound leg also but it would have been in the middle of the night so we missed the whales.

I highly recommend the port side of the ship for your day in Glacier Bay. Most of the time spent and narration is when the port side is facing the glacier. That way you can enjoy the sights from your balcony and not have to fight thru the mobs on deck.

We've done the northbound cruise twice on the Coral and would go again in a heartbeat. We've been on both the port and starboard sides and enjoyed them both but give an edge to port since the scenery in Glacier Bay is more interesting (more glaciers) on that side and much of the early morning Park Service Ranger narration focuses on that side -- but really you should be out and about on Glacier Bay day. The captain will also turn the ship around multiple times at the top of the bay so everyone, everywhere gets the spectacular views.

We were in Dolphin aft mini-suites (D-7XX series) that have a fully covered balcony (great if you run into rain). Being at the very rear of the ship they are very quiet and have the added bonus of having a public viewing area (which most of the public doesn't know about :D) on the aft.

Our first Alaska cruise was our first Princess cruise (had been on two other shorter cruises) and got us hooked. I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Bookings should open in mid-March (at least that has been true for the last 3 years).

I've been to Alaska 6 times now and was just there last summer. I had a great experience on the last cruise with Princess and my favorite excursion was the Musher's Camp and Dog Sled Experience in Skagway. It was awesome because the drive there is very scenic. We saw an Orca swimming in an inlet and huge Salmon leaping in a little stream we walked across. I don't even really like dogs but loved the sled dogs and puppies and the whole experience.

http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?t=A&exType=S&tourCode=SGY-440