Crystal or Oceania

DaisyUK

I have spent much time gleaning information from this site - an excellent resource - and thanks to the input from many on this forum, together with those for Crystal, Regent, Silverseas and Seabourn, have narrowed down the options for our first cruise to Crystal and Oceania.

The 2 priorities for me are accommodations and food. For less than the cost of a Crystal Penthouse Suite, we could have one of the 3 top suites on Oceania. In addition to this, there are more dining options and (I think) unlimited dining in the specialty restaurants.

So, it would seem to be a no-brainer. But - am I missing something? What, I wonder, do Crystal do better than Oceania that they can command such a premium? Has anyone on this forum sailed with Crystal and can therefore help me with this question? I will post the same question on the Crystal forum, and see what I come up with.

Whether anyone is able to help or not... thank you for the invaluable help andadvice contained within this forum, which would seem to be the most active of those I have mentioned.

I have not sailed on Crystal but one difference really stand out. Crystal is all-inclusive, so you need to add in the cost of alcohol and tips when looking at the cost differences.

In terms of dining options, there is a limit on Oceania and will be a limit on Crystal (there is a very active thread on the Crystal board right now discussing this).

Again, haven't been on Crystal but find the food in Oceania's specialty restaurants the best I have ever tasted -- absolutely amazing!

I have not sailed on Crystal but one difference really stand out. Crystal is all-inclusive, so you need to add in the cost of alcohol and tips when looking at the cost differences.

In terms of dining options, there is a limit on Oceania and will be a limit on Crystal (there is a very active thread on the Crystal board right now discussing this).

Again, haven't been on Crystal but find the food in Oceania's specialty restaurants the best I have ever tasted -- absolutely amazing!

We haven't sailed on Crystal, but from reading the Crystal boards, it sound like they have their fans, as does O. I would say you will be happy with O and you would be happy with Crystal...

When we sailed on Crystal we were very impressed with the service, whether in the cabins or in dining rooms. Some of the service almost bordered on obsequious to us but others love it. Since we love Terrace dining on the R ships you can tell that having others serve us is not high on our priority list.

We did not enjoy formal nights on C but others love dressing for dinner and dancing or going to a show or nightclub after. We much prefer the casual country club dress and don't want to pack formal clothes.

Crystal still maintains, I think, a smoking policy that allows veranda smoking. A major reason for our O love is their restrictive policy.

Mr Wonderful thoroughly enjoyed C's entertainment and finds O's seriously lacking.

We didn't find much difference in cabins. O's food is better, but C had elaborate lunch events on an outside deck. Fun, but crowded.

To us itinerary is most important so we love O having a different port almost every day; C is not nearly as port intensive.

Finally, we found a few of C's cruisers with, how shall I say this, a tad of a haughty attitude. I've only found one person on our many O sailings with that attitude and I just steered clear of her.

When we found O we did not return to C. Hope this helps! c

It sounds like your knowledge of Crystal is out of date:

We did not enjoy formal nights on C but others love dressing for dinner and dancing or going to a show or nightclub after.

These are now "Black Tie Optional." Fewer and fewer actually wear tuxes, so it's not much different from the higher end of O passengers [i.e. suits or sport coats for a dress-up occasion].

Crystal still maintains, I think, a smoking policy that allows veranda smoking.

Nope, not for some time. And smoking in cabins is also now banned. C's smoking policy is now even stricter than O's. [The only indoor smoking area is a dedicated smoking lounge. Huzzah!]

To us itinerary is most important so we love O having a different port almost every day; C is not nearly as port intensive.

In the last couple of years C has changed to a much more port-intensive (and shorter cruise length) approach. They feature overnights on most cruises [this may be good or bad, depending on your taste].

Finally, we found a few of C's cruisers with, how shall I say this, a tad of a haughty attitude. I've only found one person on our many O sailings with that attitude and I just steered clear of her. When we found O we did not return to C. Hope this helps! c

This is in the eye of the beholder. We have found that type on most cruise lines, but they are easy to avoid. [Hurrah for Anytime Dining!]

You're right....we haven't sailed with Crystal in some time but for the reasons I listed. I'm glad C has changed their smoking policy.

I still think C does not have as many ports on each of their cruises as O does whether it is 7 day or 10 day.

You're right--certain passengers can be found on any cruise.

You seem pleased with Crystal; it's good we have choices, isn't it. OP will have to decide for herself and can report back to us.

I have spent much time gleaning information from this site - an excellent resource - and thanks to the input from many on this forum, together with those for Crystal, Regent, Silverseas and Seabourn, have narrowed down the options for our first cruise to Crystal and Oceania.

The 2 priorities for me are accommodations and food. For less than the cost of a Crystal Penthouse Suite, we could have one of the 3 top suites on Oceania. In addition to this, there are more dining options and (I think) unlimited dining in the specialty restaurants.

So, it would seem to be a no-brainer. But - am I missing something? What, I wonder, do Crystal do better than Oceania that they can command such a premium? Has anyone on this forum sailed with Crystal and can therefore help me with this question? I will post the same question on the Crystal forum, and see what I come up with.

Whether anyone is able to help or not... thank you for the invaluable help andadvice contained within this forum, which would seem to be the most active of those I have mentioned.

After 4 cruises on Crystal we found Oceania. For us it is a no brainer...The suites are much larger for a fraction of the price, the food is as good or better with more choices and now I read after one visit to each of the speciality resturants there is a $30.00 surcharge. All inclusive is good but does not make up for all the other great things Oceania offers.

After 4 cruises on Crystal we found Oceania. For us it is a no brainer...The suites are much larger for a fraction of the price, the food is as good or better with more choices and now I read after one visit to each of the speciality resturants there is a $30.00 surcharge. All inclusive is good but does not make up for all the other great things Oceania offers.

I read the 27 page thread on Crystal re them now charging for specialty restaurant reservations. I would not be happy with that. We have been on 3 O cruises so far - 50 days' worth - and have eaten in the GDR exactly once. We love Red Ginger. We love Red Ginger. We love Jacques. We love Polo. Honestly, we have not eaten in Toscana as we love the other 3 so much. We also eat a lot at the Terrace Grill and Waves. The specialty restaurants at no extra charge make the decision on where to eat really easy.

I'm not happy about Crystal's recent decision to charge $30 for the 2nd+ visit to each specialty restaurant (per cruise segment), but let's face it: these are called "specialty" restaurants for a reason. Their menus don't change. Eating in them again and again is very repetitious.

Of course, if the MDR is no good, you have no choice but to look elsewhere.

On our one Oceania cruise, we were not impressed by the food either in the MDR or the specialty restaurants (especially steaks -- they couldn't cook them to order in either location).

We are told (haven't sailed Crystal yet), that the Crystal MDR is better than O's. If so, one visit to each spec. rest. will be sufficient.

Our biggest gripe with O is the outrageous cost of the shore excursions.

Also, when I have recently cross-checked cruise prices -- Crystal is cheaper than Oceania.

So we'll see how this Crystal cruise goes next May. Maybe we'll be back to O... But not because we think we'll save money.

I vote for Oceania because of their open sitting policy and the Terrace grill. I have a trip booked on Crystal for next June because of the itinerary, New York to Iceland. I am wait listed for first dinner sitting and their "Dinner by Reservation" system, so I am told to eat at 8:30 or get room service to your SMALL room to eat off of a coffee table. They have no Terrace Grill or equivalent on this ship. They have the gall to call this luxury. The only negative I have about Oceania is the price of the shore excursions and transfers, it's so out of line I find it insulting. I felt the food was great, we ate in all six restaurants, for free, and had no problems.

I vote for Oceania because of their open sitting policy and the Terrace grill. I have a trip booked on Crystal for next June because of the itinerary, New York to Iceland. I am wait listed for first dinner sitting and their "Dinner by Reservation" system, so I am told to eat at 8:30 or get room service to your SMALL room to eat off of a coffee table. They have no Terrace Grill or equivalent on this ship. They have the gall to call this luxury. The only negative I have about Oceania is the price of the shore excursions and transfers, it's so out of line I find it insulting. I felt the food was great, we ate in all six restaurants, for free, and had no problems.

Crystal has been so highly rated for so long that I think they are getting full of themselves. With some of these new policies I think these ratings will come down. :(

To add I really do not understand what makes Crystal luxury and Oceana luxury lite? Oceania has better rooms, new ships, many restaurants, same port intensive trips, great service and AI expect for booze which you can buy that also. As for food at some point food is food, how much better can it be on a ship? A ship is not the Palm, Peter Lugers or any other land based rest. The only difference I see is that crystal ships have 200 or so less pass on the same size ship. I am locked into a trip with them as I have already gotten the air fare and my wife wants to go back to Iceland, I canceled two others and never want to hear their name again. If I can not eat when I want what good is it, I can eat when I want in Burger King!!

I vote for Oceania because of their open sitting policy and the Terrace grill. I have a trip booked on Crystal for next June because of the itinerary, New York to Iceland. I am wait listed for first dinner sitting and their "Dinner by Reservation" system, so I am told to eat at 8:30 or get room service to your SMALL room to eat off of a coffee table. They have no Terrace Grill or equivalent on this ship. They have the gall to call this luxury.

This is a function of the design of their ships: the dining rooms are too small. [This doesn't affect the luxury rating - even the most luxurious river cruises have one fixed seating for dinner.] I have been told that the Maitre d' can usually fix things like this once on board.

This is a function of the design of their ships: the dining rooms are too small. [This doesn't affect the luxury rating - even the most luxurious river cruises have one fixed seating for dinner.] I have been told that the Maitre d' can usually fix things like this once on board.

I realize the trouble but if your ships get old and out dated then you are no longer luxury, this constant spin about how great Crystal is compared to newer lines like Oceania is just not true, I found out the hard way. If they want to stay in the game build some new ships.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Having read all of them, together with the responses on the Crystal forum, I am feeling confident about booking with Oceania.

The only big negative I can find (from my perspective only) is the constant announcements!

I can get a suite ranging in size from 1,000 sq ft to 2,000 sq ft for less than a 530 sq ft suite on Crystal - and if I upgrade to a commensurately sized suite on Crystal, I will be paying a massive premium. I can get multiple bookings in Specialty restaurants if I want. OK, so I have to pay for the drinks package, but in the scheme of things, it's not a huge cost. And apparently the shore excursions are expensive - but I can choose whether or not to go on the Oceania-organised excursions, or save money by booking myself.

Smaller negatives would seem to be that the level of service on Oceania is not up to that of Crystal, and that entertainment and enrichment are below par. Entertainment is not a biggie for us, and I don't know about enrichment...

So, decision made. Oceania it is. And if we don't like it, we'll try Crystal next time.

Thanks again for all the advice.

I think you made a great choice between the two. We will be back on Oceania in March for two weeks, then much to my demise on Chystal in June for 12 days. FDR, I am sorry I looked for something better as you have the best! Maybe I will see you in Miami as I did last year.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Having read all of them, together with the responses on the Crystal forum, I am feeling confident about booking with Oceania.

The only big negative I can find (from my perspective only) is the constant announcements!

I am not sure what constitutes "constant announcements"

I seem to remember only maybe 4 in a day

Early morning report from CD, noon report from the Captain, maybe a reminder for the lecture in the afternoon, if the ship is tendering then they announce the Open tendering

If there is more I have never noticed them

If you are booking the top suites I believe they have a bar set up in your suite ..others can comment on that

Enjoy your cruise with Oceania

Lyn

Having sailed both, this is really a tough one!

One thing unique about Crystal, their crew seem to aniticpate your needs as if reading your mind like no other cruise line I have been on.

That said, Crystal no doubt caters to those who love to dress to the hilt, flash their jewels, and require a very "organized, led by the hand" day to day experience.

Worldspan

132 cruises strong

What constant announcements? Just a few and never in your suite. And as for service when your in one the those nice suites--you'll get service. We like the Owners Suite, and that's all about service.

Rick

Now I'm really sold.. just picking up on what others have said, mainly on the Crystal forum, but if I can't hear the announcements in the suite, then I'm sure we can live with them.

I realize the trouble but if your ships get old and out dated then you are no longer luxury, this constant spin about how great Crystal is compared to newer lines like Oceania is just not true, I found out the hard way. If they want to stay in the game build some new ships.

Unless your signature is out of date, you (like me) haven't actually sailed on Crystal yet. Let us know how you compare them after your June cruise. ;)

Having sailed both, this is really a tough one!

One thing unique about Crystal, their crew seem to aniticpate your needs as if reading your mind like no other cruise line I have been on.

That said, Crystal no doubt caters to those who love to dress to the hilt, flash their jewels, and require a very "organized, led by the hand" day to day experience.

Worldspan

132 cruises strong

It's all well and good to dress to the hilt if you could find enough room in their tiny cabins to put all that clothing. Or just bring one outfit and wear it every night. And those closets and drawers are pretty small. After our first two cruises in regular cabins we took penthouses when they were on sale as we could not afford them otherwise. The ritz and the glitz is not for us. Oceania is. :)

Now I'm really sold.. just picking up on what others have said, mainly on the Crystal forum, but if I can't hear the announcements in the suite, then I'm sure we can live with them.

You can turn off the announcements in your suite (we have stayed in Vista suites). The only exception is the fire drill announcements - those are broadcast everywhere and they can't be shut off.

The captain usually made his announcements around noon...so you can turn on the volume for that.

In the Terrace Grill, you can barely hear the announcements for Bingo, Trivia, etc. It's not like Carnival or NCL where the sell sell sell is nonstop.

I am sure you will enjoy your O cruise

You can turn off the announcements in your suite (we have stayed in Vista suites).

I have never been in a suite so did not realize people had the option of hearing them in the cabins or not

I usually forget to put the tv on the channel you hear them ..

I do like to hear the Captain's noon announcement when at sea

Archived