Just back from Noordam Nov. 15 - 25 cruise

the2ofus

This was a last minute solo booking on an itinerary I really liked. First time on Noordam altho I had sailed on W'dam and NA previously. Of the three, Noordam wins hands down for decor and for the general ambiance. Great crew too. It seems like a happy ship with a smiling and willing crew.

Embarkation was delayed for a Coast Guard inspection since the ship had just crossed from it's European summer, so it was 12:30 before we got the go-ahead to embark. Being solo and a 4-star Mariner, I had arrived early, went through check-in at lightning speed so was at the front of the line. Met some delightful people in the waiting area so the time moved quickly. More mobile than most in that first group, I was the fourth passenger to embark the ship. Wow! That was so cool!

Upon arrival in my obstructed view cabin (lifeboat was outside) just after lunch in the MDR where I met more friendly folks, I found my luggage already waiting for me so was completely unpacked and ready to explore well before the muster drill.

My cabin seemed to have a 'funky' odor, like someone spent too much time in there, not feeling well, on the crossing even though it looked clean and tidy. I mentioned it to my cabin steward and by dinnertime the bathroom had been deep cleaned and the following morning the carpet was shampooed. I was a very happy and appreciative guest, and made my appreciation known.

Overall, I thought the food was good with creative, sometimes very imaginative menu offerings in the dining room and the Lido. The menu items seemed fewer but still plenty of choice. This time I had As You Wish dining and only ate in the MDR a few nights and on the Lido the rest of the time, as fit my (lack of) schedule. For a change, I thought I'd try most of the vegetarian offerings and I was not diasppointed, sometimes really surprised and pleased that the food tasted so good! If not vegetarian, I chose mostly fish dishes.

The strangest item I tasted was a dessert Chocolate-Coconut Napoleon with Strawberry garnish. Three faintly coconut wafers layered with a gelatinous sort-of-chocolate mousse atop some swirls of strawberry gel and a couple of decorative slices of strawberry. Impossible to eat neatly with any combination of silverware. What were they thinking???!!! I recommended to my dining room waiter to shake his head no if guests asked if it was good.

I did not attend all the offerings in the Vista Lounge. Comedian and Ventriloquist Mike Robinson always cracks me up. The productions by the singers and dancers were really good and a cut above what I am used to seeing on HAL. This cast had just come on board so there might have been some 'new to the ship issues' but I didn't notice them. I especially liked Droom, which I had heard about but not seen. In fact, I saw it at 8:00 p.m. and went back for the 10:00 show too.

I went on this cruise to rest and relax, so others might be bored out of their minds by my lack of involvement and interest. It was a perfect vacation for me, at this time. If anyone has questions, I'll try to answer.

Oh, before RuthC asks, and I'll be she will, the piano bar was occupied by Piano Man Lee. I wandered through but didn't stay. Not very energetic or entertaining was the impression I got from those who checked him out. Adagio Strings duo were quite good. HalCats played good dance music in the Ocean Bar, dance floor was not crowded though, and their female singer was very good, I thought. Like food, taste in music is very subjective.

Edited by the2ofus

Thank you for your review of the Noordam! We love Mike Robinson and his sidekick, Terrance! They are my favorite entertainers on HAL. Mike was on our Ryndam cruise last winter...and when we docked in Tampa, he left to go to Fort Lauderdale to another HAL ship.

We've seen him on the Noordam and the Maasdam out of FFL. And hope we can enjoy him on this winter's cruise in the Caribbean!

This was a last minute solo booking on an itinerary I really liked. First time on Noordam altho I had sailed on W'dam and NA previously. Of the three, Noordam wins hands down for decor and for the general ambiance. Great crew too. It seems like a happy ship with a smiling and willing crew.

Embarkation was delayed for a Coast Guard inspection since the ship had just crossed from it's European summer, so it was 12:30 before we got the go-ahead to embark. Being solo and a 4-star Mariner, I had arrived early, went through check-in at lightning speed so was at the front of the line. Met some delightful people in the waiting area so the time moved quickly. More mobile than most in that first group, I was the fourth passenger to embark the ship. Wow! That was so cool!

Upon arrival in my obstructed view cabin (lifeboat was outside) just after lunch in the MDR where I met more friendly folks, I found my luggage already waiting for me so was completely unpacked and ready to explore well before the muster drill.

My cabin seemed to have a 'funky' odor, like someone spent too much time in there, not feeling well, on the crossing even though it looked clean and tidy. I mentioned it to my cabin steward and by dinnertime the bathroom had been deep cleaned and the following morning the carpet was shampooed. I was a very happy and appreciative guest, and made my appreciation known.

Overall, I thought the food was good with creative, sometimes very imaginative menu offerings in the dining room and the Lido. The menu items seemed fewer but still plenty of choice. This time I had As You Wish dining and only ate in the MDR a few nights and on the Lido the rest of the time, as fit my (lack of) schedule. For a change, I thought I'd try most of the vegetarian offerings and I was not diasppointed, sometimes really surprised and pleased that the food tasted so good! If not vegetarian, I chose mostly fish dishes.

The strangest item I tasted was a dessert Chocolate-Coconut Napoleon with Strawberry garnish. Three faintly coconut wafers layered with a gelatinous sort-of-chocolate mousse atop some swirls of strawberry gel and a couple of decorative slices of strawberry. Impossible to eat neatly with any combination of silverware. What were they thinking???!!! I recommended to my dining room waiter to shake his head no if guests asked if it was good.

I did not attend all the offerings in the Vista Lounge. Comedian and Ventriloquist Mike Robinson always cracks me up. The productions by the singers and dancers were really good and a cut above what I am used to seeing on HAL. This cast had just come on board so there might have been some 'new to the ship issues' but I didn't notice them. I especially liked Droom, which I had heard about but not seen. In fact, I saw it at 8:00 p.m. and went back for the 10:00 show too.

I went on this cruise to rest and relax, so others might be bored out of their minds by my lack of involvement and interest. It was a perfect vacation for me, at this time. If anyone has questions, I'll try to answer.

Oh, before RuthC asks, and I'll be she will, the piano bar was occupied by Piano Man Lee. I wandered through but didn't stay. Not very energetic or entertaining was the impression I got from those who checked him out. Adagio Strings duo were quite good. HalCats played good dance music in the Ocean Bar, dance floor was not crowded though, and their female singer was very good, I thought. Like food, taste in music is very subjective.

Glad you had such a good cruise and that things went well. I enjoyed meeting you on the NA last November.

Hi Carol -

The piano player wasn't all bad - he was actually a very talented pianist. But, he seemed more suited to playing than doing "sing-a-longs". Of all the piano bar entertainers I've seen on HAL, he was at the bottom for a "lively, fun time", but was still good to listen to.

I'm hoping the Piano Bar player will not be on the end of January. From your description, he doesn't sound so good, and we spend a lot of time there...or at least like to.

Carol, at least you won't have him for the whole 21 days. I might have mentioned before that Barry from Boston (Barry Rockland) is going to be boarding the same day that those of us on the 11-day portion will be disembarking.

Then again, we can always hope that Lee was just a fill-in for yet another regular piano bar player.

Edited by elycelynne

Thanks for the current review. Going on the Noordam in February and have read such mixed reviews of the ship that I am not sure what to expect. Some same it is in great condition and others make it seem like it is falling apart. I have been on 6 HAL ships and have never seen them in disrepair. Looking forward to my time on the Noordam.