Will we make it?

Tropic5115

My husband and I are sailing on the Royal Princess this February and this year we are unable to fly in a day early because of my husbands work schedule.

We are flying from Buffalo to Fort Lauderdale and thought booking a direct flight on Southwest would be a little safer than dealing with a connection in the winter months. I'm not sure what I was thinking because I just realized the ship leaves at 4pm and we arrive at 2:40! Is it crazy to think we might actually make it? Should I book a connecting flight if it can get us there a little earlier (around 1:15)? For some reason I was thinking the ship left at 5:00 and we had until 4:30 to board. I could just kick myself!:(

My husband and I are sailing on the Royal Princess this February and this year we are unable to fly in a day early because of my husbands work schedule.

We are flying from Buffalo to Fort Lauderdale and thought booking a direct flight on Southwest would be a little safer than dealing with a connection in the winter months. I'm not sure what I was thinking because I just realized the ship leaves at 4pm and we arrive at 2:40! Is it crazy to think we might actually make it? Should I book a connecting flight if it can get us there a little earlier (around 1:15)? For some reason I was thinking the ship left at 5:00 and we had until 4:30 to board. I could just kick myself!:(

At the least try and change to a red eye, an evening flight after work, or the first DIRECT flight out. I would not risk a connection. You know how the weather can in in Feb, and the airlines are so unpredictable. :)

I wouldn't chance it. My mom lives in Tonawanda and my family has lived in Buffalo for years so I can speak from experience. You need a backup plan of some sort. If it were me, I would see if you could somehow get a flight out the day before. I just flew out of Buffalo to DC today and my flight was delayed 1.5 hours. Who knows what the east coast and Buffalo will be like in February. Good luck!

Edited by akeasley

We learned a few years ago how the weather anywhere in the country can affect flights. Whenever we have had to fly down the day of a cruise, I try to make sure that the flights will be there by noon. Also make sure you have good insurance in case the flight doesn't make it in time--the type that will cover your expenses to get you to the ship at the next port.

If it were us we would try to make different arrangements, especially since it is winter. Any delay and you will miss the ship. Even if you arrive at 2:40 by the time you deplane, retrieve your luggage and get a taxi it will be after 3PM. It's a 15 min taxi ride to the pier. I looked up some flights and there appears to be flights on different airlines that depart around 5PM on Saturday. You will arrive after midnight, but at least you will be there. Maybe that's an option for you.

Here are some of the things Princess says:

If you are arriving at Fort Lauderdale airport arrive at least 1:30mins. before sailing time.

Provide complete and accurate information in the Cruise Personalizer no later than 2 days prior to sailing. Otherwise you must arrive at the pier not later than 90 mins. before sailing.

For our January cruise on the Emerald Princess states that the ship departs at 4:00pm and that check in is 12:30 to 3:00pm

I would have the Princess phone no. handy in case you are in the cab and running late.

You live in a very snowy place. I know because I live not far from you. Can you take a red eye flight the night before?

Edited by geocruiser

A red eye is your safest bet. Have a Plan B and a Plan C if your airport gets shut down. I know it's not scientific, but it always seems to me that if you're prepared with good alternate plans, you won't need them! lol

Good luck and I totally understand about not being able to take the extra vacation time! ;)

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Due to flight delays, we made it when our flight arrived 45 mins before sailing time. Don't know if it made any difference, but we had Princess travel vouchers from the airport. Which was only minutes from the dock.

We were a nervous wreck the entire time in the air.

This scenario of flying in the same day in the afternoon is WAY risky. Could you get out the night before, and if you can't get to ft. Lauderdale at least fly as far as say Atlanta or Charlotte on a late Flight, spend the night and fly out early the next morning to ft. Lauderdale?

Good luck.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I have the same issue for our cruise in March on the Emerald. I booked a red eye from LA and we are scheduled to land at 6 AM the day of the cruise. I figured this gives us plenty of flexbility if something goes wrong. I also used points to book a hotel room so we can go there and sleep for a few hours and get cleaned up before boarding the ship, assuming our flight is on time....

A red eye is your safest bet. Have a Plan B and a Plan C if your airport gets shut down. I know it's not scientific, but it always seems to me that if you're prepared with good alternate plans, you won't need them! lol

Good luck and I totally understand about not being able to take the extra vacation time! ;)

I agree. There's no way you'll be allowed to check in and board if your flight arrives at 2:40pm. The TSA requires a manifest 60 minutes before boarding so you would have no time to get your luggage, rush to the port and check-in in 20 minutes. Not physically possible.

Take a red-eye, even if you arrive at 1am. There are hotels right nearby, you can sleep late in the morning and be more relaxed boarding the ship. Plus, you'll have some flexibility if weather is a factor. AND, make sure you get insurance that will cover if you miss the ship. Even flying in the day before is not a guarantee you'll be able to fly out and make the ship.

It's a problem even if you don't have snow. I have a friend stuck in the Midwest today because her plane was stuck elsewhere. You may not get to leave when your plane is expected for any number of reasons. We were over an hour late leaving once because there was someone sick on our incoming plane.

I think that requirement is met by those who have filled out all the necessary information on the Personalizer.
I'm not sure but why chance it? I've taken the BVE in San Pedro a couple of times and as I walked back through the terminal, the check-in area and Security was empty at 3:15pm.

I think that requirement is met by those who have filled out all the necessary information on the Personalizer.

No - the FINAL manifest is assembled on the pier and represents those truly aboard.

All kinds of things happen last minute - like people not making it from Buffalo in February.

This will sound like a really stupid idea and it will increase your travel costs but you have yourself in a really bad box.

How about getting a red-eye flight or an immediately-after-work flight from Buffalo to someplace south of Buffalo where the weather will be better and less chance of snow. Then stay in the airport overnight and take the very first flight in the morning to FLL. Bad arrangements better a significantly better chance of making it.

As it stands now, you have an insignificant chance of making it and any delay and you will be standing on the pier watching the ship leave.

Also, maybe you should call Princess customer service and maybe they can pre-clear you through TSA security. Can't hurt to try.

Another even dumber idea would be for you to go down ahead of time and then when your husband does not make the ship, at least one of you would be enjoying the cruise and you will not have lost all of your money.

Keep us posted as to what you are planning to do and also what happens in February.

DON

I would do a red eye the night before to Florida. Get straight to Fl. Plane flights can be late or canceled even if the weather is great where you are. Your plane might be coming in from area that is snow in and never make it to you , even in a warm weather air port.

But if you can't get all the way down to Fl., then I would do what Donaldsc says in his post.

Edited by geocruiser

Thats a great idea to take a red eye to Florida, or even 'somewhere' south

where you could pick up an early am flight direct to Ft Lauderdale.

We also fly out of Buffalo, and on our very FIRST cruise had all the nightmares possible trying to get to San Juan/ same day. Have never done it again. I understand this isn't by your choice, but by the circumstances presented.

The only other thought I have on it, is to use the Southewest credits on

a different flight somewhere else at another time. Use one of the carriers out of Buffalo that will code-share if the need and opportunity presents itself.

Hope it all works well for you!

I take it your husband has to work on Saturday. If not Spirit Airlines has a red-eye from IAG (Niagara Falls) to FLL that leaves at 2AM Friday night/Saturday morning. Though this too carries a risk as if this flight is cancelled due to weather (or Spirit's chronic shortage of available aircraft) there are no other IAG-FLL flights until Sunday late afternoon and Spirit does not fly from BUF nor have any reticketing agreements with any airline that does.

We are flying from Boston in the middle of March. It should be ok, but you never know in NE. We booked our trip through Princess Easy Air. Our flight arrives 2:20 pm and ship sails 4 pm. We arranged Princess transfer and I am hoping that everything works out. The air fare is restricted so no chance of rebooking for earlier flight. We are usually travelling with carry on baggage only and I am tempted to cancel Princess transfer and get a cab to terminal without waiting for other passengers. I am already nervous about this.

I am tempted to cancel Princess transfer and get a cab to terminal without waiting for other passengers. I am already nervous about this.

If the Princess bus is there to xfer you to the pier, it does not matter how many other passengers they wait for, you will make the cruise.

(However at FLL a cab is cheaper and, if you do not have to wait in a long line for one, faster than the Princess xfer.)