New Years aboard the Ryndam

1of4

Well Almost! We are in Tampa and out of the cold, ice, and snow of home. Our DAM ship leaves on Sunday. I will try to post in port but photos will have to wait until we are home, I think, unless I find time to open Shutter fly and down load pictures.

Happy New Year everyone; may 2014 bring you peace and happiness. :)

Well Almost! We are in Tampa and out of the cold, ice, and snow of home. Our DAM ship leaves on Sunday. I will try to post in port but photos will have to wait until we are home, I think, unless I find time to open Shutter fly and down load pictures.

Happy New Year everyone; may 2014 bring you peace and happiness. :)

I would appreciate reading a review of your cruise/ship following its completion as DW & I will be on this ship on a (14 day segment) in February/March, 2014! :)

Cannot wait to read your reports of this cruise and to see snap shots of everything my friend:)

Hope someone will be good enough to get photos of you and family during the Vow Renewal:)

Really looking forward to every photo, every description and thoughts:)

Happy New year Gail and family!!

Joanie

Have a great time! We were on the Ryndam this month and had a fantastic cruise!

I have been wondering about something for a long time so I am finally going to ask this question.

What is the difference between a Lanai and a verandah? Why did the Ryndam and the Maasdam cabins go up so much in price when the cabins are now called Lanais?

I have been wondering about something for a long time so I am finally going to ask this question.

What is the difference between a Lanai and a verandah? Why did the Ryndam and the Maasdam cabins go up so much in price when the cabins are now called Lanais?

If you will look on HAL's website for each ship and its staterooms, you will see the difference. The lanai cabins open directly onto the promenade deck. Verandah staterooms are entirely different. They open onto their own private balcony. And the Ryndam does not have lanai cabins. It is the Maasdam and the Veendam.

If you will look on HAL's website for each ship and its staterooms, you will see the difference. The lanai cabins open directly onto the promenade deck. Verandah staterooms are entirely different. They open onto their own private balcony. And the Ryndam does not have lanai cabins. It is the Maasdam and the Veendam.

So why does that make them so much more expensive? I certainly would rather have my own private balcony than have people walking by our windows on promenade deck.

So why does that make them so much more expensive? I certainly would rather have my own private balcony than have people walking by our windows on promenade deck.

Couldn't agree more. But I don't understand "more expensive" - than what? Looking at the Veendam's fares the verandah cabins on the 12/2/14 Circle Hawaii cruise, the verandah (Vista Suite) rooms are about $1,500 more than the lanais. The round-trip Boston (35 days) is $5,000 more than the lanai.

Whatever, have a wonderful trip! Best way to spend New Years.

The lanai cabins are a compromise between having no outdoor access directly from your cabin and those cabins that have a private verandah. The lanai cabins are small but many like the fast access through sliding glass door to outside deck.

I wouldn't like that privacy issues about the window though it is very manageable.

If someone wants outside access but doesn't want to pay for a verandah, the lanai may be right for them.

Edited by sail7seas