Luggage Tags? PAPER? STAPLED? Really???

muzzy 10

I haven't been on a Princess ship in about 4 years...have been instructed to print unreinforced paper tags off the net, and staple them around the handles of our luggage. I usually attach tags AFTER we claim our luggage at the airport(so they aren't damaged in transit). Now we must also bring a stapler with us?Ri-iiiight!

I guess I could get replacements from the porter at the pier,but annoyed by this. Has anyone been able to get tags mailed from Princess? Any other suggestions?

The paper tags work just fine; if concerned about durability, just wrap in clear packing tape after folding. Hotels always have staplers at the front desk if you are staying somewhere for the night pre-cruise. Otherwise, bring a cheap-o mini stapler from Walmart in your carry on bag, and just staple the tags on your bags when you pick them up at baggage claim.

I haven't been on a Princess ship in about 4 years...have been instructed to print unreinforced paper tags off the net, and staple them around the handles of our luggage. I usually attach tags AFTER we claim our luggage at the airport(so they aren't damaged in transit). Now we must also bring a stapler with us?Ri-iiiight!

I guess I could get replacements from the porter at the pier,but annoyed by this. Has anyone been able to get tags mailed from Princess? Any other suggestions?

This has been the way Princess is doing it for several years. Some folks staple; others have plastic tags in which you insert your printed tag. Seems to work out OK no matter how you do it.

I slide mine into a clear, plastic luggage tag holder. You can get them here, at Amazon, and lots of stores. Just look around

Never had any trouble with them at all. We just staple them together with a small stapler and I would do this after collecting your luggage from the carousel otherwise they could get lost when on the aircraft.

We usually stay at a hotel before our cruise as we like to arrive a day or so beforehand, just in case of any unforseen circumstances so I always pack a small stapler in our suitcase.

Jennie

I printed the tags, folded as instructions show. Then used packing tape (probably scotch tape would work as well). Put a strip of tape on one end. Put a longer piece of tape on the other end and attached it so there was a length of the tape that could be folded over and onto the other side with the shorter piece of tape. I also folded over the long piece of tape on the end so I could easily pull it loose. Put these in my carry on. After getting the bags at the airport, pulled apart the tape put the tags on the bag handles and reattached the tape. Hope that this makes sense.

We attach our tags prior to our flights, (and we always have connections to make) don't reinforce them, and have never had any problems with them popping off. That said, a little bit of clear packing tape for insurance isn't a bad idea.

This has been the way Princess is doing it for several years. Some folks staple; others have plastic tags in which you insert your printed tag. Seems to work out OK no matter how you do it.
Right. This has been the case for years. I've never had a problem no matter where in the world I'm sailing. There are several advantages: you can print as many as you want (I usually put two on each bag), and because the tags are pre-printed, luggage is identified and delivered a lot faster, often within an hour or two of boarding. When people wrote their info on luggage tags, I often wondered where on earth they learned to write and how the heck did they expect anyone to decipher their scribbling? It's a wonder luggage was delivered at all.

Alas, Grumpy,'tis true...those days are gone I guess. Thank you ALL for your prompt answers and good suggestions. Sounds like the plastic sleeves are the way we will go. CC'ers are the best!

And hey, Brian....see ya on board!

Same here, we bought handy plastic sleeves for about $3.99 each off the internet. We attached to our suitcases prior to leaving the hotel for the cruise terminal. Brian

And you can get the plastic sleeves at many stationery stores, maybe even Walmart. I'll print out a bunch for our family and offer the plastic sleeves. But sometimes my hubby will just use clear shipping tape (which we'll throw into one of our pieces of luggage to use later on during the cruise. For the plastic sleeves, he'll use one of those zippy cable tie things, and then cut them off later with his nail clippers or a small scissors.

If flying to your embarkation city, you can attach them while at your pre-cruise hotel. If you don't won't to bring a mini-stapler (and don't want to trust the hotel concierge with letting you borrow theirs), try the shipping tape method.

And as stated above, your name and cabin number are nicely printed on the tags so you don't have to write on them. The only problem would be if your cabin is changed at the last minute.

Some great plastic holders are sold right here on CC for $2.95 each.

Very durable and gives you the CC identity right on your luggage.

Here is the link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=46

Alas, Grumpy,'tis true...those days are gone I guess. Thank you ALL for your prompt answers and good suggestions. Sounds like the plastic sleeves are the way we will go. CC'ers are the best!

That's what I use & earlier this year it was the same type of self printed luggage tags on RCCL so it's not only Princess.

Sounds like the plastic sleeves are the way we will go.

That's what I use after having a stapled & taped tag nearly be torn off going from the porters & our cabin. While many others have had no problems it's reusable cheap insurance for me.

Earlier this year it was the same type of self printed paper luggage tags on RCCL so it's not only Princess.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I fold the paper following the instructions but instead of stapling I put a couple inch piece of packing tape on that end. Then I punch a hole right where it says staple. I have a little plastic "leash" (kind of like a super strong rubber band) that goes through that hole and then that all goes on my luggage handle. Super easy. I've reused the leash dozens of times. I can get them ready at home and then put it on my luggage before we head to the pier.

I think I bought them at Office Depot in a kit for making your own luggage tags

5uze8yza.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by more cruises

The printed-page type of luggage tag works well for taping flat to a case of soda cans or spring water.

I bought tag-holders here on Cruise Critic and have been very happy with those.

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

I laminated mine and punched a hole through ea. end and used zip ties. Worked fine for me ! Also taped one to flat of coke and water!