Can I make a 10:20am flight out of FLL?

Rosethorn40

Most of the time it's possible. But you never know when there will be delays. Check the port schedule to see how many other ships are there the same morning. Even then, the cruise lines can't control the immigration and customs process.

In season, Saturdays and Sundays are rough because so many ships are in port. You didn't mention which month you'd be sailing.

You can make it if you take a cab ($15 for the short ride) if all the stars align for you. But if there are 8 ships in port, or it's Fleet Week, or the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show week, or the ship is late getting in (unusual for Princess which is known to always get in by about 5:30), you could be in trouble.

If you ask the purser for the first walk-off, and you take your own luggage off the ship, you can make it. But you have to be off the ship at 7am sharp, or you'll be stuck in the immigration line.

Edited by tothemall&beyond

While i would never book a flight that early, on our christmas cruise we were originally scheduled for the last group off at 10:50. This was a 4 day cruise and all but a few groups were walk-offs with no luggage assistance.

We had a long drive to Charlotte and I asked for an earlier time - they were very nice and put us in the second group scheduled at 7:15; most of the passengers lived within a couple of hours of Ft Lauderdale so I did not feel bad asking.

We were in the lounge at 7:00 - our group was called at 7:10 and we were in our car by 7:30 - absolutely the best disembarkation experience ever.

Be sure and ask to walk off with your luggage and get an early time. If there are not immigration issues you should make it. The airport is just minutes from the terminal.

But as many will tell you - if you get a later time and/or there are issues the ship cannot control then there is a risk involved.

Also we were at pier 2 which i imagine made a big difference.

Edited by alexspepa

You can make it if you take a cab ($15 for the short ride) if all the stars align for you. But if there are 8 ships in port, or it's Fleet Week, or the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show week, or the ship is late getting in (unusual for Princess which is known to always get in by about 5:30), you could be in trouble.

Or if you are disembarking from an overseas repositioning cruise where you run the risk of delays due to government inspections.

We were delayed embarking on a cruise once because the ship had just returned from the summer season overseas and was subjected to a more thorough inspection (not sure if it was Coast Guard or Immigration or both) than 'normal.' Arriving passengers had disembarkation delayed by about 2 hours and it had a ripple effect on those of us embarking on the next cruise. Shore side personnel told us that this kind of delay is more common on repositioning cruises.

Edited by capriccio

Keep in mind that fewer ships in port also means fewer agents on duty and not necessarily a faster or smoother disembarkation or check-in at the airport.

I like Loonbeam's rule of thumb: If you have to ask it's probably not a good idea.

Edited by f-mattox

I ask because I use to book flights after 12 pm and usually end up sitting for what seems hours in the airport. Also, a 10:20 flight out of FLL is much cheaper than anything from 11ish to about 6 or 7 pm (I'm flying into BWI). The flight down, which is on a Thursday, February 27th, is very reasonably priced, while returning flights on March 9th are not. March 9th is a Sunday and with all the demand from passengers returning from week long cruises it stands to reason that the airlines can ask and get more for a flight.

What can I say? I'm cheap, and I'm trying to find the best option to get home without spending too much :) Trust me, I am exploring every option; Miami, Orlando (Renting a car and driving up), Palm Beach, flying out the next day, etc. I don't really want to sit around until a late flight of 8 or 9 pm. I've already done the Airboat through the Everglades (Twice) and Flamingo Gardens. I may just have to "Suck it up Buttercup" and spend the extra money.

Thank you for the responses. I do appreciate everyone's opinion.

Money aside, IF you do book the later flight and make it earlier, you can always ask at check in if there are seats on the earlier flight. Airlines like the flexibility so will often make the switch no charge.

I ask because I use to book flights after 12 pm and usually end up sitting for what seems hours in the airport. Also, a 10:20 flight out of FLL is much cheaper than anything from 11ish to about 6 or 7 pm (I'm flying into BWI). The flight down, which is on a Thursday, February 27th, is very reasonably priced, while returning flights on March 9th are not. March 9th is a Sunday and with all the demand from passengers returning from week long cruises it stands to reason that the airlines can ask and get more for a flight.

What can I say? I'm cheap, and I'm trying to find the best option to get home without spending too much :) Trust me, I am exploring every option; Miami, Orlando (Renting a car and driving up), Palm Beach, flying out the next day, etc. I don't really want to sit around until a late flight of 8 or 9 pm. I've already done the Airboat through the Everglades (Twice) and Flamingo Gardens. I may just have to "Suck it up Buttercup" and spend the extra money.

Thank you for the responses. I do appreciate everyone's opinion.

I did it last month. Did the self-disembarkation, first group at 7am. I was through customs, to the airport, through security, and having a cocktail at the United Club by 8:15am. ;) Easily made my 10:14 flight and have done it many times. Don't let the worry warts scare you.

Edited by argenta01

It's been awhile since I sailed Princess out of Port Everglades, and I realize it's a very busy port. That said, if we do self-assist with our bagage is it a strong possibility that I will make a 10:20 flight out of FLL? (A Sunday).

Yes.

We always get off in the first walk off group with our luggage and are at the gate by 7:45.

Like others have said have a plan B. ;)

Yes.

We always get off in the first walk off group with our luggage and are at the gate by 7:45.

Like others have said have a plan B. ;)

I have our 915 flight booked for the 5th time next month and haven't had a problem so far.

Mike;)

I did it last month. Did the self-disembarkation, first group at 7am. I was through customs, to the airport, through security, and having a cocktail at the United Club by 8:15am. ;) Easily made my 10:14 flight and have done it many times. Don't let the worry warts scare you.
While this is possible, it's equally possible to miss a 10:30am flight. Variables are the number of ships in port, Customs & Immigration, time of year, etc. There have been many reports of just few Immigration officials processing passengers off ships recently (in the past month), causing long delays. If FLL itself is busy, it's not unusual for it to take half an hour or longer to check in curbside (much longer inside.) Add to that reports of only one or two TSA agents checking everyone at a terminal. That happened to me in MIA in October and because there was only one line for everyone, it took me an hour and a half to just get through security, and that was mid-afternoon, not the busy morning hours.

There's a reason why early flights are cheaper: cruise passengers have only a 50/50 chance of making the flight so most opt not to end their cruise stressed out.

Edited by Pam in CA

Rule of thumb. If you have to ask 'Can I make it?' don't book it. Even if possible, it adds stress when you don't need it.

-APPLAUSE-:D

Questions to OP (and everyone else who brings this up):

Where's the fire? How ARE you going to enjoy your vacation worrying about that flight:eek:

I also did(6 of us) the same last March, first to the cabs and made my 9:30 flight without a hitch. Very Lucky

But always be prepared to miss your flight and have. Backup plan you may not get off the ship as fast as we did

How ARE you going to enjoy your vacation worrying about that flight:eek:

Who worries??:confused:

Haven't come within 90min of missing one yet and if we do there are flights almost every hour to ATL.

Mike:)

A 10:20 flight especially on a Sunday seems overly ambitious.

If you were the only ship on a Monday I'd still think it risky but possible

Last year we were one of two ships, did express walk off, were off the ship in the first group and had two customs agents, so even though we were in the first wave of passengers, or first 200, we still had a wait.

We did make it to the airport and were all checked in by 8:00 am.

The security line took approx 25 minutes, with hardly anyone in front of us.

That morning we would have made a 10:20 flight, but on Sundays it is a zoo!

I have our 915 flight booked for the 5th time next month and haven't had a problem so far.

Mike;)

:eek: wow, you win the prize for sure! Do your ships arrive on the weekends, or is this for Fri or Monday arrivals?

We returned to Port Everglades on the Island last October. The Island is a smaller ship so not so many pax. It was a Thursday morning and we were the only cruise ship in port. We always do walkoff self assisted and were supposed to leave the ship at 8:15. We actually left the ship at near 10:00 only to stand in immigration line for another 20 minutes or so. Remember we were in the walkoff group so there were many still on the ship since we had just completed a 15 day cruise. I am sure there were many who missed their flights that day. We were staying one more day so per our custom so there was no problem.

We have been to Port Everglades several times in the past on 10 day cruises which has always put the return to port on a week day. We have walked off with our luggage, cleared customs and immigration and been on the street by 8:30. Remember though we were the only ship in port.

On our last cruise, the patter had a warning that due to sequestration, there are fewer ICE agents and warned that it can take longer to leave the ship and get outside the terminal. Don't forget to factor that in to your equation and similarly the TSA has been cut back making longer lines at the airport secruity checkpoint.

:eek: wow, you win the prize for sure! Do your ships arrive on the weekends, or is this for Fri or Monday arrivals?

The previous ones were on weekends but the upcoming one in February will be on a Monday.

• 1 month later...

Walked off the Ruby this morning at 705 into the terminal with only three Customs Agents and I was about 150th in line. We got outside to a line of taxis as far as one could see and was at the gate at FLL at 745, two full hours before our 945 departure.