B To B But Different Ships

Dave from Ont

We will be coming off the Century and going to the Silhouette in February. Have seen lots of advice and topics about doing B to B on the same ship but not 2 different ships. Has anyone out there ever done this before? Any advice on what is the easiest way to do this. Did you just take a cab in the port area to the next ship? Any help would be appreciated to alleviate any problems. Thanks in advance.

Dave, it's not really a back-to-back if it's on two different ships. They're two separate cruises that happen to fall on the same day, so any of the b2b procedures don't really apply to you. You'll disembark from one ship with everyone else and board the next ship with everyone else. As to transportation, until you give location no one will be able to give you any pointers on how to get to and from!!

We are sailing in and out of Fort Lauderdale on a Sunday.

Yes you are right it is 2 different ships, 2 separate cruises. Not what I guess some would call back to back. Coming in and going out on the same day. Just wondering what is the best procedure is and getting from one terminal to the next. Of course we have no idea which terminal these ships will be at. Just wondering how others have done this.

Ft. Lauderdale is pretty large and I didn't get the impression that it's very walkable (especially with luggage). There will be cabs waiting for disembarking passengers, I think your best bet would be to just take a taxi from one terminal to the other. No need to rush off the ship either since embarkation security doesn't open until 11ish, from my experience, so you can take the 9am/late disembarkation and still be early to the other ship!

Ft. Lauderdale is pretty large and I didn't get the impression that it's very walkable (especially with luggage). There will be cabs waiting for disembarking passengers, I think your best bet would be to just take a taxi from one terminal to the other. No need to rush off the ship either since embarkation security doesn't open until 11ish, from my experience, so you can take the 9am/late disembarkation and still be early to the other ship!

Agree, but Celebrity would know the dock of the other Celebrity ship. If it is the next terminal, you can walk there if you don't mind dragging your luggage.

Taxi drivers from pier to airport are looking for 2 fares.

1 going & 1 returning.

You're going from pier to pier & the driver will have to go

to the back of the taxi line.

Let him know you will make it worth his while

for the pier to pier trip.

Jack

We are doing the same thing in March. If you get a chance to post your experience I would appreciate it. :)

I thought we may disembark and go to a hotel for breakfast then go back to the port. Dragging our luggage around doesn't appeal to me but when we disembark Century it will be too early to check in for our Connie cruise.

I have a cruise that ends on a Friday and another that leaves on Saturday from the same port. I asked our TA about what would Celebrity do to accommodate the day difference? In the past Celebrity would provide transportation and overnight lodging. Celebrity's response was that that policy was stopped as of April of 2013. Captains club said "they would see what they could do". This doesn't happen till the fall for us, so we're still waiting.

Keep you posted,

Hal

I am changing ships in april- the equinox to the connie. my problem is

I have mobility issues so I am not able to walk from one port to another.

my TA contacted celebrity and they weren't helpful. so I will see what

happens when I get off. I figure I have 5-6 hrs to get from one ship

to another.

We did this so many years ago that we were on the Horizon and Zenith, both of which were around 3 years old. Both cruises departed from San Juan.

I don't know what X does now but they had our bags sent from H to Z and provided a shuttle for the 4 or 5 couples involved. H was docked in OSJ and Z was on the other side of the port.

X made it kind of a no-brainier then but I'm sure that someone has figured out a wat to complicate it by now.

Enjoy your double vacation.

We're doing a similar thing in March - off Allure and on to Silhouette.

There's an interesting thread here with info - although some of it is conflicting http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1972908

If you find out anything more please post here. thanks :)

That's the thread I was referring to :). Please let us know how you get on in March. We're similar to you: disembarking Silhouette and then going on Indy.

I would try and get the Porter to move your luggage and give the porter a $20. that way you can walk. Richard

Port Everglades is very large. The walk from one pier to another can be well over a mile. I'd ask on board at Customer Relations desk early in the cruise if transportation is provided. If not I'd just take a cab. As another poster mentioned there is no rush for this since the next cruise probably won't begin boarding until after your cruise has finished boarding. In fact if you want to pick up anything at a store, such as wine or toiletries, you could have the cab driver take you to the Publix, Walgreens or Total wine off 17th street near the port and then back to the new ship. The waiting fee won't be much if you shop quickly. We did this once on a b2b returning to the same ship and I think the total fare, including wait time, was around $20.

Taxi drivers from pier to airport are looking for 2 fares.

1 going & 1 returning.

You're going from pier to pier & the driver will have to go

to the back of the taxi line.

Let him know you will make it worth his while

for the pier to pier trip.

Jack

The cab drivers are going to have to wait in the taxi queue regardless of whether it is the port terminal queue after dropping you off at the other terminal or the airport queue after dropping someone at the airport.

In most places the taxi drivers are required to take the next passenger. If you want to be nice you can give him a large tip to make up for the short fare to another terminal. The normal price to the airport is between $10 and $15.

Edited by Lsimon

We will be coming off the Century and going to the Silhouette in February. Have seen lots of advice and topics about doing B to B on the same ship but not 2 different ships. Has anyone out there ever done this before? Any advice on what is the easiest way to do this. Did you just take a cab in the port area to the next ship? Any help would be appreciated to alleviate any problems. Thanks in advance.
It is too bad that Celebrity and Royal Caribbean will no longer comp such transfers the way they have done in the past.

But the easiest way to do it now most likely would be to see the concierge on your first ship about arranging the transfer for you. They are very good about setting up such arrangements.

Ship Hopping: Consecutive cruising on different ships back to back on the same day. (for us, cruising without going home or to a hotel is a back to back cruise. We arrive on a ship in the morning and leave on a ship the same day) ;)

We will soon be experts at this process in Port Everglades. Last year we moved from Reflection in Miami to Oasis via Celebrity airport bus (they provided the free transport), then we moved from Oasis to Eclipse by way of a $10 taxi ride) in the same port and then took a shuttle back to Reflection in Miami (also provided by Celebrity).

This year we were told that Celebrity no longer provides transportation between ships so we skipped Reflection and will cruise from Port Everglades, hopping from ship to ship. Starting Saturday on Eclipse, taxi over to Oasis, taxi to Century (back to back cruise on the same ship), taxi to Constellation, one day hotel stay and finish with Allure.

Our luggage will get a real workout.

We did this a couple of years ago, transferring from HAL Eurodam to the Connie. We were lucky, as the Eurodam was moored directly behind the Connie, so we were one of the last off one ship, and one of the first on the next ship. We wheeled our luggage between the two terminals, no further than walking around a major airport.

It really depends where the ships are moored. As stated by previous posts, it could be up to a mile between the ships. The website below has a page which shows the map of the port, I think we were transferring between pier 24 and 25

http://www.porteverglades.net

Ship Hopping: Consecutive cruising on different ships back to back on the same day. (for us, cruising without going home or to a hotel is a back to back cruise. We arrive on a ship in the morning and leave on a ship the same day) ;)

We will soon be experts at this process in Port Everglades. Last year we moved from Reflection in Miami to Oasis via Celebrity airport bus (they provided the free transport), then we moved from Oasis to Eclipse by way of a $10 taxi ride) in the same port and then took a shuttle back to Reflection in Miami (also provided by Celebrity).

This year we were told that Celebrity no longer provides transportation between ships so we skipped Reflection and will cruise from Port Everglades, hopping from ship to ship. Starting Saturday on Eclipse, taxi over to Oasis, taxi to Century (back to back cruise on the same ship), taxi to Constellation, one day hotel stay and finish with Allure.

Our luggage will get a real workout.

just want to say wow - what a trip

I agree re making the taxi drivers time worth their while - we got hissed at by the cab driver for only doing a $12 ride - our attitude was there were loads of people looking for cabs

Edited by Tiggertastic

We are sailing in and out of Fort Lauderdale on a Sunday. Just wondering what is the best procedure is and getting from one terminal to the next. Of course we have no idea which terminal these ships will be at. Just wondering how others have done this.

You can go to the Port Everglades website www.porteverglades.net and click on the tab "About Us." Scroll down to "Ship Schedules" and it will open a spreadsheet showing much info re ships in port.

Or, to get there in one click, go to

https://pevweb01.broward.org/Public/PublicMovements.aspx

You can't look more than 7 days ahead, so you may need to get online while on the first cruise, but you will be able to see where the ships will be. Then you can decide if it is walkable (there is a port map at the website's "About Us" tab).

My wife and I have done this a couple of times. Here is our recommendations:

--Stay on the first ship as long as possible; makes it easy to find your bags and the lines are way down.

--You can't walk it, as most of Port Everglades lacks sidewalks. (Put on your new luggage tags while you wait in the taxi line) You need to take a taxi and that's not really fair to the driver. We just tell them, "hey, we only need to go from here over to Pier #??? and I'm going to give you $20 for your trouble". This year, the Century will probably dock at Pier #4 and the Silhouette will be over at Pier #24/25; over a mile drive.

see map:

http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/content/docs/media/Port-Map-2009.pdf

--you will be too early to board the Silhouette (most of the time it will be around 10:00am when you show up), so you have a couple of options. A) you can turn over your luggage and go inside and wait it out. B) you can hold your taxi and turn over your luggage and then have the taxi take you to the beach, the mall, a hotel…, (remember a day pack with all your docs for boarding the new ship)

--really exciting to know everyone else is headed to the airport and you are just beginning a new adventure. Make your "turn-around" day as much fun as the vacation itself.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

That's the thread I was referring to :). Please let us know how you get on in March. We're similar to you: disembarking Silhouette and then going on Indy.

I'll do my best to remember to resurrect this thread with our experience after we get back and before you travel.

Back in 2008 we were on the inaugural Solstice 2 night pre cruise, were given a ride by the port agent to HAL Westerdam. As we disembarked Westerdam, the garage shuttle was right across the street and we were given a ride back to Solstice for a B2B2B on the inaugural sailings. We will look for the shuttle again.

When we returned from our Constellation TA we disembarked at pier 4. Eclipse usually docks at #25 which will probably be the pier for Silhouette the next day. I would not be surprised if #4 or #5 would be the location for Century but you may be in luck if they are much closer.

My wife and I have done this a couple of times. Here is our recommendations:

This year, the Century will probably dock at Pier #4 and the Silhouette will be over at Pier #24/25; over a mile drive.

see map:

http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/content/docs/media/Port-Map-2009.pdf

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Same deduction… about 4 and 25.