A HAL & Princess Comparison

callmedeb

Recently back from my first Princess Cruise (PC) (on the lovely Emerald Princess) and thought I’d do a brief comparison review between PC and Holland America Line (HAL), the only other line I’ve cruised on.

A bit of background about me. I’m 40, love to travel and you’ll find that, at least in my reviews, I really don’t complain about much, I’m a happy traveller – especially when it’s -35 deg C back home and I’m in the Caribbean on a ship. I usually travel solo or with one other person – this trip there were six of us (spoiler alert: no one killed anyone).

Embarkment

Pier 19 in FLL – Quick and painless – I’d put it even with HAL

Cabins

Inside PC v. Inside HAL – HAL wins this one for sheer size and the fact they have full bathtub/shower combos.

The insides on the EP were just fine though – great storage and a HUGE walk in are with an open concept closet, the closet beats anything I’ve ever had on HAL.

Itinerary

All new ports except one, time in each was good, although I’d have liked less time in Nassau and more time in Grenada – tie on this one.

Excursions

Had a great time on all ship excursions except the last one in FLL on disembarkment day…

Since we had a late (7pmish) flight back to Toronto we took the everglades excursion to kill some time before spending an eternity at FLL. I had taken a similar one on HAL and was really looking forward to another visit. Boy, was I disappointed. HAL (and Sawgrass Rec) wins this one hands down. The Princess excursion was rushed, little time spent on the boat checking out the everglades and less time spent on the ‘gater show. We didn’t even have time to go in the gift shop! Sawgrass was WAY better.

But this was my only complaint =)

Food

I did not go hungry and enjoyed what I ate, but HAL is better overall. From the Lido Buffet selections and layout (separate stations rather than one congested blob in the middle) to the burger joint on deck, HAL is better laid-out, has better quality of food and MAN did I miss the taco/nacho station (n.b. this is probably a good thing).

I’d rate the fine dining about the same. Room service on HAL has a better selection for breakfast and dinner though.

Bars

HAL & PC are equal in their ability to keep me liquid, although it sometimes took a while for a server to find me in Club Fusion on EP.

Shoppes

Same and same.

Activities

PC comes out on top for this category. A lot to do, I sometimes had to make very hard decisions. There is more variety on PC than found on HAL (who is still fun, but way quieter).

Ship Design

PC actually wins on this with their varied deck pool areas and MUTS (which I surprisingly LOVED). I also enjoyed the aft hot tubs. I didn’t like the pool area on sea days, but that’s just because I don’t like to feel crowded.

Service/Staff

On both cruise lines it’s the staff that makes or breaks it for me. PC and HAL tie for the most wonderful Crews on the seas. Fantastic people all around.

Misc.

Things from HAL I missed – Explorers Lounge/Library (best at sea in my opinion), Nachos.

Things from PC that I’ll miss – International Café (although I should be a law that they have meringue every day).

A note on Noro…

We were at a heightened level for most of the cruise and I know some people (not in my party) who were confined for 48 hours, but everything still went smoothly. HAL seems to be more stringent in their preventative measures than PC is, but I didn’t miss being “chased” around with Purell or reminded to wash my hands to the “birthday song.”

In Conclusion…

HAL has a slight edge for me, but I wouldn’t hesitate taking another Princess Cruise. PC is a nice fit as well and it’s good to keep my options open.

Good to see you posting. I used to be lorekauf in case you are wondering:D. Tend to agree with you on most things except that I find the service better on Princess. That said, I've only been on their smaller ships. Welcome back to the lovely weather in Canada:rolleyes::eek:.

Thanks for posting your thoughts. I find it interesting that you did not make any reference to the large size of the Emerald Princess when compared to most of the HAL ships. That seems to be an issue with many HAL fans. We agree with most of what you say and have often had our share of complaints about the layout and congestion of the Princess lido buffet area. But we do continue to love variety in our cruises (3 scheduled cruises this year on Princess, HAL and Celebrity) as it always fun comparing. We also miss the nacho bar when we are away from HAL....but do love Princess pizza.

Hank

HAL Insides don't have tubs.

Maybe they had an ocean view which do. :confused:

HAL ocean view cabins have tubs. Princess ocean view cabins don't nor do Princess balcony cabins. To get a tub on Princess a Mini-Suite needs to be booked.

LuLu

~~~

Edited by OCruisers

Good to see you posting. I used to be lorekauf in case you are wondering:D. Tend to agree with you on most things except that I find the service better on Princess. That said, I've only been on their smaller ships. Welcome back to the lovely weather in Canada:rolleyes::eek:.

Off topic - lorekauf - why did you change your name? No wonder I haven't seen you here!

The line I quoted said:
Cabins

Inside PC v. Inside HAL – HAL wins this one for sheer size and the fact they have full bathtub/shower combos.

Edited by jtl513

Recently back from my first Princess Cruise (PC) (on the lovely Emerald Princess) and thought I’d do a brief comparison review between PC and Holland America Line (HAL), the only other line I’ve cruised on.

A bit of background about me. I’m 40, love to travel and you’ll find that, at least in my reviews, I really don’t complain about much, I’m a happy traveller – especially when it’s -35 deg C back home and I’m in the Caribbean on a ship. I usually travel solo or with one other person – this trip there were six of us (spoiler alert: no one killed anyone).

Embarkment

Pier 19 in FLL – Quick and painless – I’d put it even with HAL

Cabins

The insides on the EP were just fine though – great storage and a HUGE walk in are with an open concept closet, the closet beats anything I’ve ever had on HAL.

Itinerary

All new ports except one, time in each was good, although I’d have liked less time in Nassau and more time in Grenada – tie on this one.

Excursions

Had a great time on all ship excursions except the last one in FLL on disembarkment day…

Since we had a late (7pmish) flight back to Toronto we took the everglades excursion to kill some time before spending an eternity at FLL. I had taken a similar one on HAL and was really looking forward to another visit. Boy, was I disappointed. HAL (and Sawgrass Rec) wins this one hands down. The Princess excursion was rushed, little time spent on the boat checking out the everglades and less time spent on the ‘gater show. We didn’t even have time to go in the gift shop! Sawgrass was WAY better.

But this was my only complaint =)

Food

I did not go hungry and enjoyed what I ate, but HAL is better overall. From the Lido Buffet selections and layout (separate stations rather than one congested blob in the middle) to the burger joint on deck, HAL is better laid-out, has better quality of food and MAN did I miss the taco/nacho station (n.b. this is probably a good thing).

I’d rate the fine dining about the same. Room service on HAL has a better selection for breakfast and dinner though.

Bars

HAL & PC are equal in their ability to keep me liquid, although it sometimes took a while for a server to find me in Club Fusion on EP.

Shoppes

Same and same.

Activities

PC comes out on top for this category. A lot to do, I sometimes had to make very hard decisions. There is more variety on PC than found on HAL (who is still fun, but way quieter).

Ship Design

PC actually wins on this with their varied deck pool areas and MUTS (which I surprisingly LOVED). I also enjoyed the aft hot tubs. I didn’t like the pool area on sea days, but that’s just because I don’t like to feel crowded.

Service/Staff

On both cruise lines it’s the staff that makes or breaks it for me. PC and HAL tie for the most wonderful Crews on the seas. Fantastic people all around.

Misc.

Things from HAL I missed – Explorers Lounge/Library (best at sea in my opinion), Nachos.

Things from PC that I’ll miss – International Café (although I should be a law that they have meringue every day).

A note on Noro…

We were at a heightened level for most of the cruise and I know some people (not in my party) who were confined for 48 hours, but everything still went smoothly. HAL seems to be more stringent in their preventative measures than PC is, but I didn’t miss being “chased” around with Purell or reminded to wash my hands to the “birthday song.”

In Conclusion…

HAL has a slight edge for me, but I wouldn’t hesitate taking another Princess Cruise. PC is a nice fit as well and it’s good to keep my options open.

HAL ocean view cabins have tubs. Princess ocean view cabins don't nor do Princess balcony cabins. To get a tub on Princess a Mini-Suite needs to be booked.

LuLu

~~~

LuLu, callmedeb was comparing an Inside PC v. Inside HAL & referenced HAL having bathtub/shower combos in this comparison! HAL does NOT have a bathtub in their Inside Staterooms so, no bathtub/shower combos! ;)

Unfortunately, the video contains copyrighted material that is blocked in the US. Can somebody verbally describe MUTS for those of us who have not done Princess in many years?

MUTS is a huge outdoor movie screen that plays movies at night, sports games/movies/TV during the day. People sit in the pool or lay on deck loungers to watch. You can see it here if you scroll down the page.