Suggested improvements for the dress code issues

OK, I think I may have come across as thinking EVERYONE should be forced to wear tuxes for Formal Nights, and that's most certainly not the case.

As it stands now, there is obviously a very poorly enforced and unevenly enforced dress code which makes it pretty much a farce. Many have said that shorts, tee shirts and ball caps are not allowed - but I don't think that's actually stated anywhere in writing by RCI and many have seen others let in with that attire. All that's there is the suggested/requested attire, which on Formal Nights for men is either a tux or a dark suit & tie.

If I were Adam (I'm obviously not!) here's what I think I'd do:

• Keep the current requested/suggested dress code statements pretty much as is
  • Add - for Formal Nights - a "minimally acceptable" dress code and I'd suggest that that be slacks & collared dress shirt for men.
  • Add a list of items prohibited in the MDR any evening - shorts, jeans, t shirts, flip flops, ball caps.
  • Then actually ENFORCE the above uniformly!
  • (Suggested by someone else on Adam's blog) possibly offer a small incentive - a free drink or a free 5x7 photo per couple or similar - for everyone on Formal Night who's dressed according to the requested/suggested code. A carrot is better than a stick!

Thoughts? Reasonable?

OK, I think I may have come across as thinking EVERYONE should be forced to wear tuxes for Formal Nights, and that's most certainly not the case.

As it stands now, there is obviously a very poorly enforced and unevenly enforced dress code which makes it pretty much a farce. Many have said that shorts, tee shirts and ball caps are not allowed - but I don't think that's actually stated anywhere in writing by RCI and many have seen others let in with that attire. All that's there is the suggested/requested attire, which on Formal Nights for men is either a tux or a dark suit & tie.

• Add - for Formal Nights - a "minimally acceptable" dress code and I'd suggest that that be slacks & collared dress shirt for men.
  • Add a list of items prohibited in the MDR any evening - shorts, jeans, t shirts, flip flops, ball caps.
  • (Suggested by someone else on Adam's blog) possibly offer a small incentive - a free drink or a free 5x7 photo per couple or similar - for everyone on Formal Night who's dressed according to the requested/suggested code. A carrot is better than a stick!

Thoughts? Reasonable?

Its one the most debated subjects on this forum! Be ready to get flamed for starting another thread on it LOL! :D Not by me though.

There actually are signs on all ships listing the absolute prohibited items. Some have taken pics of the signs and I will see if I can find said pic.

Like I said, I abide by the dress code. I generally wear a tux to dinner on formal nights. It just doesnt ruin my evening to see those who dont. Im fine with letting people wear whatever as long as its within reason. RCI seems to be too at this point. khakis and a polo shirt is totally within reason to me but thats JMHO.

People here talk like ragged clothing in the MDR is a common thing but I have just not seen that. Ive only been on 3 RCI cruises though.

Anyway, what you put out sounds logical to me. I dont see it ever happening but it sounds good on paper! I know we have argued this to we are both blue in the face but I have no ill will toward you.

Truce? :confused:

Edited by ryano

Haha! Truce, most definitely! Was kind of my point of trying to post something that seems reasonable, middle ground and maybe worthy of discussion! :)

#1, if you're going to have a dress code, enforce it - and the unevenness of that is just absurd at present!

I'd go along with the 1st 4 points, but don't think the incentive is needed since it is only a few that show up looking like slobs.

The incentive is that you get in!, if not you can wear your backward cap at the WJ.

As I said, that incentive idea was actually floated by someone else on Adam's blog. I'd see it as incenting the tux or dark suit code for Formal Nights, not to keep out the slobs. The slobs wearing the prohibited items should be turned away at the door. Those wearing the "minimum acceptable" or more are welcomed for dinner. Those in tux or dark suit & tie get a free drink. Of course, similarly for women...

Thoughts? Reasonable?

If I were Adam here's what I would do:

In the Welcome Aboard letter I would add this statement: "Please use good judgment and wear appropriate clothing at all times aboard the ship. All passengers should stop trying to control how other passengers dress."

As an incentive, all passengers would get a picture of Adam in a T-shirt, ball cap and shorts with a RCCL robe.

Thoughts? Reasonable?

In the Welcome Aboard letter I would add this statement: "Please use good judgment and wear appropriate clothing at all times aboard the ship. All passengers should stop trying to control how other passengers dress."

As an incentive, all passengers would get a picture of Adam in a T-shirt, ball cap and shorts with a RCCL robe.

Thoughts? Reasonable?

Ding, Ding. We have a winner. I really don't see how if someone across the room has jeans or a hat on affects my dining at all. It is their cruise, and they can dress how they please. Obviously, swimsuits and stuff like that is an exception.

Edited by NicNac4498

Thoughts? Reasonable?

Ding, Ding. We have a winner. I really don't see how if someone across the room has jeans or a hat on affects my dining at all. It is their cruise, and they can dress how they please. Obviously, swimsuits and stuff like that is an exception.

So you're in the "there should be absolutely no dress code whatsoever and I should be able to wear what I damn well please wherever and whenever" group. OK, gotcha! ;)

So you're in the "there should be absolutely no dress code whatsoever and I should be able to wear what I damn well please wherever and whenever" group. OK, gotcha! ;)

Oh no, not at all. But there is a difference between a dress code so that people are comfortable, and just being picky. Swimsuits and things like that should clearly not be allowed, but I just don's see an issue with jeans and hats. Just my .02 though

I'm in the "Mind your own business" crowd. And I love to dress up. I am simply not affected by other people wearing clothes that are not to my standard. It was .... interesting.... at time seeing old women wearing what looked like prom gowns and makeup that was fashionable twenty years ago in formal nights, but they were having fun and doing what they wanted to do. My cruise experience is fun when the people around me are also having fun!

As long as it's no swimsuits (and only because they're wet and such), I'm okay with it. I don't care and don't wish to enforce rules on the week where people are supposed to be having fun.

Edited by AmyWrites

I'm in the "Mind your own business" crowd... I don't care and don't wish to enforce rules on the week where people are supposed to be having fun.

Agreed. I appreciate the reasonable approach to the issue. In the end, it really doesn't matter what any individual or group of passengers think. It's what RCL allows that counts.

I just have a real problem with the difference between a suggestion, and something that is required. If I show up to a restaurant that states a coat and tie are required then I get the fact that it is a dress code. Royal SUGGESTS what we wear, if they wanted nothing but coats and tuxes then they would require that. If I follow the line of thought that a suggestion is a demand then the next time my waiter suggested I have a glass of wine with my dinner then I guess I MUST follow his suggestion, and drink what he suggests.

I don't wear t-shirts, shorts, caps or anything of this sort in the MDR, but I don't feel that those who equate a suggestion with a dress code should force me to wear what they want. If they want to wear a coat or tux, it makes no difference in my experience, and I am sorry if it makes them deathly ill to watch me in my Dockers and a nice shirt. The last time I looked the ship is owned by Royal Caribbean, if you owned it then by all means you could set your standards on your ship. :eek:

Really....does anyone really care what anyone else is wearing? To be quite honest, I don't pay that much attention to anyone but my own party...and I'm pretty sure most (but apparently, not all!) folks do the same!

The folks who choose NOT to dress formally are the ones who must feel "out of place"...not those who do make the effort on designated "formal" nights.

Jeez, folks! As long as people aren't parading around in their underwear, who cares?

Ken, while we're coming at it from opposite sides, sounds like you'd agree with the main premise I stated. "If you're going to have a dress code, then ENFORCE it, or don't have one in the first place!"

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

I am sure there have been a hundred threads on this subject, and all are right, and all are wrong. The fact is this, if there are hard and fast rules that are enforced, like no jeans or shorts in the specialty restaurants, then that is what people will adhere to in order to eat there. But if they are suggestions, some people will stretch the rules to the limits.

Our first few cruises, we dressed up in tux and dresses on formal nights, but lately we have found it OK to dress in Khakis, button-up shirts and nice clothing for the women. Our dress affects NOONE else, and their dress affects me ZERO. we simply enjoy our meal and leave.

In the past, everyone dressed up to travel, most every man wore a tie to work, but things have changed, things have become more casual, whether we think it good or bad. I say wear what makes YOU comfortable within the RULES, not other peoples perception, and have FUN!

Our next cruise in March happens to be our first on Disney, and they allow shorts now, per their rules, and I will make use of that rule, and yes, they will be nice ironed khaki shorts, and we will all be happy. :D:D

If you "really don't see how if someone across the room has jeans or a hat on affects my dining at all. It is their cruise, and they can dress how they please" then why no swimsuits? Apparently there IS a point where what other people wear affects you. As for the comment "swimsuits can be wet," what about dry swimsuits? How about "no wet swimsuits" as they can ruin the furniture.

So you see, there IS a line that you draw. Why not just draw it at the "suggested attire?"

If you "really don't see how if someone across the room has jeans or a hat on affects my dining at all. It is their cruise, and they can dress how they please" then why no swimsuits? Apparently there IS a point where what other people wear affects you. As for the comment "swimsuits can be wet," what about dry swimsuits? How about "no wet swimsuits" as they can ruin the furniture.

So you see, there IS a line that you draw. Why not just draw it at the "suggested attire?"

It could ruin you're appetite too. :D On a more serious note, I was surprised that Ken Rush really pushed adherence to the suggested attire on formal night on the Allure. The Captain was doing the meet and greet in the Promenade and Rush went as far as to suggested that you not pass through that area unless you were properly attired. I was also surprised that a large majority complied.