Spring Break Concerns

BarbaraB2

:confused:Trying to decide about taking a 'Stand By' cruise in March but have concerns about Spring Break students onboard. Has anyone experienced problems with unruly college kids on a Princess cruise during this time period? I don't know what, if any, restrictions the cruise line has in place to prevent under age students from booking cabins or behaving inappropriately if they are legitimately onboard. My husband and I reasonable people who would not object to others having a good time as long as it does not impact negatively on ours.

:confused:Trying to decide about taking a 'Stand By' cruise in March but have concerns about Spring Break students onboard. Has anyone experienced problems with unruly college kids on a Princess cruise during this time period? I don't know what, if any, restrictions the cruise line has in place to prevent under age students from booking cabins or behaving inappropriately if they are legitimately onboard. My husband and I reasonable people who would not object to others having a good time as long as it does not impact negatively on ours.

What cruise?

We sail the caribbean with Princess every year in March or April (typical springbreak times) and have never had a problem with any springbreakers. In fact, we purposely cruise at this time because we enjoy a better mix of ages.

Edited by pcsunlover
Spelling error

I just booked our spring break cruise on the Ruby for the middle of March. It's when we have to go because of DH's break from teaching. I'm not worried about too many college age and younger kids. We were on the Ruby at Christmas time and did not have any problems even though there were several hundred children on then.

I'd be plenty worried about the college aged kids too, especially if doing the Mexico trip out of LA.

Last time we did that cruise was over spring break and that age was out of control. Took over all pools, not just the main one, with their drinking games. Very loud in the halls at all times, day and night. The kicker was the fashion statements they liked to make at dinner. Quite a few of the girls enjoyed wearing mesh type dresses with nothing but thongs on underneath. I was surprised they were allowed into the dining rooms, to be honest. Was funny watching the men whip around to get a better look though :eek:

I would wonder about short spring break cruises in to the Caribbean or to Mexico. Other than that I don't think there would be a problem. Carnival is much more to the liking of the young party crowd.

Princess requires that at least one person in a cabin be 21 or older. I think other lines which are less expensive and more of a young party atmosphere would be more likely to draw the younger crowd.

Carnival requires that one of the passengers be 25 or older.

My upcoming Princess cruise was less expensive than CCL, NCL, RCCL sailing the same week, same number of nights, with a similar itinerary. My cruise is a 4 night during spring break.

According to this logic my cruise should be a wild one. I doubt it will though. When people think of a party cruise for spring break I don't think Princess comes to mind.

I was on a ship the week before the holidays and we had quite a number of college students aboard celebrating the end of their fall semester. They were all very calm and presented no problems. Yes they congregated together and crowded into the disco late at night but that was not a problem. That cruise had over 300 children aboard and I had no problem with any of them. I would gladly go again with them anytime.

The great thing about Princess ships is that there are quiet places to get away from children if you don't like being around them. The spa pool is usually not too crowded and is for adults only. And there's always the Sanctuary if you feel like paying for a spot that's adults only. Inside, you won't find many children hanging out in Adagio's before dinner (or at the evening cocktail party for Platinum/Elite/Suite passengers).

I am not sure what sort of response you are looking for. So far, it seems to me, the posts are about what anyone would expect. IMO, a post to a question like OPs says more about the person answering (or, occasionally, his/her just bad luck) than about the question.

For what it is worth, Princess is our favorite line (though we do them all), done lots of spring breaks, no problems. But we enjoy college age kids (live in a college town), so we are pretty much used to their antics.

For what it is worth, Princess is our favorite line (though we do them all), done lots of spring breaks, no problems. But we enjoy college age kids (live in a college town), so we are pretty much used to their antics.

I live in a college town and happen to work at a college. I have never had problems with college students on any cruise ship. It is the unsupervised k-12 kids who are not with their parents (mostly tweens), not in the kids group that roam the ship in large groups and cause problems. I have encountered this several times. They and eating lunch on the floor in the elevators, throwing food in the dining room and buffet area, stealing things, taking over pools that are meant for adults only (with their parents blessing). Never a problem with college students.

Edited by Coral

We did a spring break cruise last March and the ship had about 700 under the age of 21 (according to the Captain during our Captain's Circle Party). They were very well behaved and at night they were dressed correctly for the main dining room. We were surprised. We have booked another one this March.

Previous Cruises

Alaska - 2008 Island Princess

Alaska - 2009 (B2B) Island Princess

Alaska - 2010 Royal Princess

Alaska - 2011 Golden Princess

Panama Canal - 2012 Coral Princess

Alaska - 2012 Star Princess

Western Caribbean - 2013 Crown Princess

Alaska - 2013 Island Princess

Future Cruises

Eastern Caribbean - 2014 Royal Princess

New England – 2014 Royal Princess

Shouldn't be a concern!

I live in a college town and happen to work at a college. I have never had problems with college students on any cruise ship. It is the unsupervised k-12 kids who are not with their parents (mostly tweens), not in the kids group that roam the ship in large groups and cause problems. I have encountered this several times. They and eating lunch on the floor in the elevators, throwing food in the dining room and buffet area, stealing things, taking over pools that are meant for adults only (with their parents blessing). Never a problem with college students.
I agree. The issues we have seen (Caribbean Princess 7 day cruise during spring break with over 1000 under 21s according to Princess) have been what Coral mentioned plus teens looking for unfinished drinks sitting around to grab. All in all, it really wasn't that bad, just a minor nuisance--we still greatly enjoyed our cruise.