Reservation changed. Are they entitled to 2 cabins?

journeymore

This is the situation. Bob made a reservation with a traveling companion. He also made a reservation for his aunt who was to share a cabin with Bob's traveling companion's sister. The ship leaves on Saturday and today Bob's traveling companion called Celebrity and changed the reservation. Bob is now in an OV cabin with his aunt. He had upgraded earlier this week to a C3 cabin. The traveling companion and her sister will now be in a C3 cabin sailing in April. After several hours of holding the phone with Celebrity all they would do was give him and his aunt the C3 he had booked. Nobody has insurance and it is well beyond final payment and the point where any money is refundable.

My question: Should the travel companion have been allowed to change the reservation? Who owns the reservation?

I told Bob to call the resolutions department in the morning. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

BTW this will be there first and possibly last Celebrity Cruise.

This is the situation. Bob made a reservation with a traveling companion. He also made a reservation for his aunt who was to share a cabin with Bob's traveling companion's sister. The ship leaves on Saturday and today Bob's traveling companion called Celebrity and changed the reservation. Bob is now in an OV cabin with his aunt. He had upgraded earlier this week to a C3 cabin. The traveling companion and her sister will now be in a C3 cabin sailing in April. After several hours of holding the phone with Celebrity all they would do was give him and his aunt the C3 he had booked. Nobody has insurance and it is well beyond final payment and the point where any money is refundable.

My question: Should the travel companion have been allowed to change the reservation? Who owns the reservation?

I told Bob to call the resolutions department in the morning. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Surley the person that have made the reservation are the one that owns it! Someone must have made a mistake IMHO.

Have Bob asked the companion why he has changed Bob's reservation or if he is even avare that this have been done?

I usually put my husband as lead passenger but never have any problem changing anything on the reservation so it looks as if anyone can make the changes that is named.

Are you basically saying that two people are on the cruise this week and two in April because it was changed by one of the people cruising and cabins have been switched?

Reading between the lines because you haven't given much information, there's been a disagreement here? It sounds like celebrity have just done what they were asked? What is it you want them to do? :(

Honestly, it sounds like a LOT of personal drama there, the "traveling companion" moved Bob out of the verandah and into an OV cabin and they are no longer "traveling companions"

The cruise line didn't cause ANY of this. I suppose either party could make changes to the reservation, so, as the saying goes IT IS WHAT IT IS.

sorry things didn't work out for them, not a cruise line problem in my opinion.

The same thing could have happened to say an airline reservation, suppose the un-named companion changed the flight or seat assignments?

I would hate to be the customer service rep trying to untangle this one!

Please enjoy your cruise, make the best of the situation, and pick your traveling companions carefully next time.

When two reservations (rooms) are linked, they do allow you to make changes.

And no, Bob and his aunt aren't entitled to 2 cabins. The travel party of 4 is entitled to 2 cabins, because that is what they had booked. They still have 2 cabins, just on different sailings. Sounds like the problem isn't with the cruise line, it's with Bob and his friend!

Legally the contract is between Celebrity and the person making the booking. However, that person will for the same reason be liable for the full cost of the booking.

So, since there's been a breakdown of relationships, if the booker insisted in re-instating the original booking, he'd be liable for the whole cost.

It's a lose-lose situation. :-(

Stuart

Bottom line it, who's credit card paid for the cabin.......that's who would own it in my mind.

If the CC owner is not the one who made the change, then contact X and have it resolved. If X can not resolve, then call CC company and tell them you booked X and now they have you on Y and you did not make the change.

It's a sticky situation for sure, but definitely not X's issue to deal with so much as those individuals involved.

Or hope you have the cancel for any reason coverage and cancel it....

Who's name was on the credit card? If Bob is the credit card holder, he might try calling their dispute department. And he should get written documentation from X and the cc company to confirm their policies.

If that doesn't help, small claims or Judge Judy. Hopefully, the breakup involved some emails, texts, phone messages, etc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

How does Bob feel about simply taking the cruise with his aunt (he must like this aunt if he even considered having her come along in a separate cabin)? Not the ideal situation, but many strange bedfellows have made shared accommodations work.

Otherwise, they both lose their money.

In any event, I don't think this is Celebrity's fault, either.

What is the resolution Bob wants here? I'm thinking he doesn't want to go with the traveling companion since they broke up. And even if they have insurance, I don't think that is a covered reason. Does he want to go and take someone else? Does he just want to cancel and lose his money? Does he even want to go on the April cruise? Or is he just hurting and doesn't really know what he wants? Knowing that would help us weigh in more effectively, I think.

As other have stated if two cabins were booked and One cabin was moved to another sailing in April then they are only entitled to one more cabin. I am not sure why anyone would think they should get three cabins when they only booked two.

Never a good idea to expect any company to mange a "family/friend feud". I can just imagine the conversation between all parties prior and after the change in plans.

"You can't do that".

"Yes, I can"

"I guess he did. Can we have three cabins although we only paid for two? If not I am never going to sail on Celebrity again"

It might be more appropriate to never plan any vacation with Bob's companion again.

How were they able to change cruises when the cruise is this Sat? I didn't know that was possible.

Something seems a little funny. If it was changed then they should be able to change their cruise also. Seems as if the real facts aren't being revealed.

🚢🌴🍸🌅

Personal drama aside...

Bob is still cruising Saturday...

Celebrity has agreed to keep him in the C3 he booked...

I'll bet Celebrity would be more than willing to give him 2 cabins--IF he is willing to PAY for the 2 cabins...

What exactly is the problem??!!

(now, if Bob paid for all of this with his credit card, he DOES have resolution--but it will have to go through his credit card company)

Edited by KKB

I don't think I'm thick in the head,but I had to re-read the OP. Finally I just made up names for Bob's companion and Bob's companions sister. Then it made sense. Kind of....I still don't know what can be or should be done. I do gave to laugh thinking of my husband sharing a cabin with his aunt 😀

Don't feel bad, I had to write down the names and draw arrows. I'm wondering how old all these people are, "aunts" are often little old ladies, usually not friends w/ ex-girlfriends' sisters, but this is way off topic, none of our business, just fun to imagine the whole dynamic.

There is nothing to be refunded. 2 cabins were booked, and 2 cabins will be sailed in, albeit one on one cruise and the other on a different cruise now. Wait... let me guess.... Bob paid for both cabins and now that the former companion has broken up with him and switched to a different cruise, Bob doesn't want him to be able to go at all and wants a refund for the companion's cabin. Close? If so, that's not going to happen. As you said, it's being final payment so the money is spent with no chance of refund whether everyone goes on this cruise, or if Bob goes on this one and the companion goes on a new one, or if everybody just stays home to cry and pout.

Furthermore, I'm guessing maybe Bob had paid for 2 cabins with his credit card, but if the others' names were on the reservation, they can make changes to the reservation. That happens all the time... credit card is in the husband's name but wife calls to get the cabin upgraded, for example, or switch to an aft location because she sees that one has opened up, or whatever. It's only an issue now that Bob and the companion have broken up. Methinks Bob is bitter, and wants the companion to reimburse him for the other cabin. Unfortunately, that is not Celebrity's problem; that's between Bob and his ex. I wish him all the best in convincing the ex to reimburse him (and return the TV they bought together, and that sweater that was borrowed, etc. LOL)

Who paid for the cruises? If friend of OP paid for both rooms, he should get in touch with his credit card company, there is theft involved.

What theft? If you buy someone a present and charge it on your credit card and they return it for something else where's the theft? I didn't read where the OP actually says he paid for both cabins, just that his room mate changed cabins apparently after a break up.

How did Bob's SO change the reservation to another sate anyway after final payment?

Edited by cruzsnooze

What theft? If you buy someone a present and charge it on your credit card and they return it for something else where's the theft? I didn't read where the OP actually says he paid for both cabins, just that his room mate changed cabins apparently after a break up.

How did Bob's SO change the reservation to another sate anyway after final payment?

Yes, how? Inquiring minds would like to know.

If Bob paid for the two cabins, I'd be insisting that he gets the two cabins on the original sailing. He could have one and his Aunt the other. As far as I'm concerned, this traveling companion and the sister shouldn't be allowed to change anything, if Bob was the one who booked and paid.

If Bob paid for the two cabins, I'd be insisting that he gets the two cabins on the original sailing. He could have one and his Aunt the other. As far as I'm concerned, this traveling companion and the sister shouldn't be allowed to change anything, if Bob was the one who booked and paid.

I don't know if it works the same as airline tickets or not. But with airline tickets it really doesn't matter whose credit card was used or who paid. What matters is the name on the ticket. If I buy my friend Bob an airline ticket to come visit me, and then something comes up and Bob has to cancel the trip, most airlines will charge a cancellation fee and then the residual value of the ticket will be given to Bob in the form of a voucher to use on a future flight. Bob's name on the ticket means the ticket was Bob's, so the voucher is HIS to use as he sees fit in the future.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect cruise tickets are much the same. Whose credit card was used to pay is probably irrelevant, the idea being that whoever paid was essentially gifting the cruise/cabin to the other person. If that person decides to change the reservation and move to a different cabin or a different sailing, they may do so.

I will say again- it sounds like Bob and his friend booked the cruise and it just happened to be Bob's (we think) credit card that was used to do so. Later they broke up, and the friend rearranged the cabins so he and his sister would not be on the same cruise as Bob and his aunt. Bob didn't want the break up so now he's in a snit and trying to be vengeful: "NO. I paid, I get BOTH cabins!!!" Sorry, but that's not how it works and this thing has lover's quarrel written all over it, NOT theft or credit card fraud as some are purporting.

My advice to Bob: Forget about all of this and go on the cruise with your aunt. Obviously you and your companion are no longer companions, so cruising together and sharing a cabin is out of the question whether you like it or not. If your companion was truly trying to be mean and spiteful, he probably could have shifted both cabins to the new sailing for himself and his sister and removed your name and your aunt's from the reservations all together. His name and his sister's were on the reservation so, yes, he probably could have done that. Morally wrong? Absolutely. Legally wrong? Probably not. But he didn't do that, he simply rearranged the cabins so you're now on different cruises. Granted, he tried to give himself the C1, but if his name was on the reservation he probably had as much right to that cabin as you did. But you got that fixed so all's well that ends well. If you think Bob owes you money for the cruise, you'll likely have a hard time getting it. It's a lover's quarrel and these things seldom end well. Best to eat the loss, quit stewing about and giving yourself heartburn in the process, and go on the cruise with your aunt and have fun. Who knows? Maybe you'll even meet a new companion onboard. I met my SO on a cruise in '06 and we are getting ready to celebrate 8 years together.

Edited by waterbug123