Which of these Caribbean Sailing is the Best?

Rubeng724

Option 1:

7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise

Ship: Celebrity Reflection

Departure Port: Miami, Florida

Visits:

- San Juan, Puerto Rico

- St. Thomas

- St. Maarten

Date: March 7-14, 2015 (Spring Break)

Price: $5,035 (Balcony)

Option 2:

7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise

Ship: Celebrity Silhouette

Departure Port: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Visits:

- Cozumel, Mexico

- Georgetown, Grand Cayman

- Falmouth, Jamaica

- Labadee, Haiti

Date: March 8-15, 2015 (Spring Break 2015)

Price: $5,450 (Balcony)

Option 3:

10 Night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise

Ship: Celebrity Equinox

Departure Port: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Visits:

- Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

- Basseterre, St. Kitts

- Bridgetown, Barbados

- Roseau, Dominica

- Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Date: December 12-22, 2014

Price:

- $5,458 (Balcony)

So... Which of these options is the best? Thanks!

Additional Information:

1) We're a Family of 8 (Ages 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 51, 64)

2) We really like Option 3, but if we go, the 2 youngest members will have to miss 6 Days of School. (Really, 5, since the last day is usually a Free-Day because it's the last day before Christmas Vacations) <-- Both are in High School

3) We kind of prefer Option 2, but we still don't understand why it's more expensive than Option 1. I mean, the port taxes are only $30 more pp. Why is it $400 more expensive? Also, isn't the Celebrity Reflection supposed to be a little more expensive since it's a newer ship?

I would take my kids out of school and take option 3. Longer cruise is better. 7 night cruises are too short. Just getting used to it all and it is time to get off. Have a great time. We just got off the Silhouette on March 9 and loved the ship but definitely thought it went too fast with a 7 night cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Option 3 for sure. Life is short. I am never ready to get off after 7, but 10 I feel like I've had a good long vacation. I take my kids out every year and will continue to do so throughout their school careers. Those memories you make will be priceless!

Hi...you have given us dates and prices but not amount of cabins......

With a family of 8? Are you getting 4 cabins?...do the $$$ amounts =

a certain amount of cabins?

I would also vote for option three. We have done that sailing twice and its a great mix ports. Some with great beaches and then others like Dominica which offer a lot of other fun activities. You will also be thankful for that extra sea day! :)

I would opt for option 3 also. I love the southern ports. My only caveat would be if your high school kids are like my oldest and loaded down with AP or Honors classes, you may want to rethink pulling them out of school. My oldest doesn't have the discipline to get work done while out of school. I can't imagine him trying to do work on vacation just to keep up with his studies and I would be such a wreck trying to get him to do the work that I would totally lose all benefit of a vacation.

Option 3 sounds great to me as well, but I can relate to the school thing. My oldest, being a senior, would be happy to miss a few days of school, especially since college has been decided, but my youngest is in all AP classes and will not miss a day of school, even when he doesn't feel well, because he feels that if he would miss one day he would be lost. How do the kids feel about missing school? If they are pretty confident that it wouldn't set them back then maybe that would be the way to go. The prices look comparable so why not go for the 10 day!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Option 3, as long as everyone has good grades. We pulled our daughter out of school for 5 school days her senior year of high school. The teachers were happy and jealous at the same time. She carried a backpack full of work assignments with her. She had it all done by the time she got back to school.

We have memories to last a lifetime! I wish she were able to cruise with us now. She graduated from college and is now working fulltime. Happy for her sad for us.

As you can see from my signature it hasn't stopped us from cruising.

Only cruisers will understand this comment, but 10 is twice as long as 7.

Option 3.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I just love this comment! Also, I totally agree...my thoughts exactly!:D

I'm going to break with the crowd and say #1. Here's why:

Reflection is a beautiful ship and nearly identical to Silhouette in almost every way. I assume you are price sensitive as you mention it. Jamaica... ugh.

It's been a while since I've been in high school, but purposefully missing 5 or 6 days would be very disruptive, despite what your kids might tell you. Also, aren't exams usually around that time? Will the teachers be willing to give them early?

#3 will have very, very few people on board that are around your children's ages and 10 days is a long time to be cooped up with the family and especially dear mum and dad (no offense intended).

10 day on Equinox definitely. Only concern might be finals prior to Christmas holiday. If the student is AP in good standing have them take finals first. Like WVUFan said, 10 days is twice as long...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do your schools impose fines if kids are taken out of school like our does?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With what I pay in school taxes a year they wouldn't have the nerve. I'm still paying and they are both in college. Sadly the college tuition for one of my sons is less than my school taxes.

OP option number three gets my vote.

With what I pay in school taxes a year they wouldn't have the nerve. I'm still paying and they are both in college. Sadly the college tuition for one of my sons is less than my school taxes.

I've been paying school taxes for 25 years in NJ and I am childless. At least you got something for what you have been paying.;)

I would NOT choose #3. I say this as the parent of two kids that I did I that to when they were in high school. Missing the last few days of a high school class just before break might be a really bad idea, particularly if the semester ends at the same time. My two told me that if I ever did that to them again they would choose to go to school and take their exams rather than go on vacation. Because we were gone the last 2 days before the end of the semester, they had to take semester exams before and after school in the couple of days before that. It was while they were still learning the last bit of material that was to the on those final exams, plus the teachers were not happy at having to stay after and come in before school to give the exams.

I will add that our school purposefully plans exams those last few days before break to prevent kids from skipping school those days. We always have two or three exams in the last day of a semester.

Also, as a former teacher, I always planned an exam the last day or two before a break of more than a three day weekend. Taking exams after a break of more than a couple of days meant grades plummeted.

Your school may be different, but that was how ours worked it.

Additionally, my children's school allows only a certain number of absences per semester before they take away the credits. I recommend double checking with administration before taking them out for quite that many days.

I would take option 3 without the kids!

Edited by Algebralovr

2 or 3, but I prefer the Southern Caribbean over the Western. Grand Cayman was my favorite port, Jamaica my least. St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Maarten, are all places you want to see. If school is an issue, I would do #2 now, putting option 3 on the back burner over option 1.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor