Privilege Beverage Package.

swabs

Ours were taken and swiped each time, even by servers with whom we'd established a multi-day relationship. I'd assumed that was to make sure they were credited with the gratuity that's built into the Prestige Package.

That is so odd, as we had just the opposite experience. Our cards were only swiped once per day per venue, and many times after the first few visits to a particular bar, they just waived the card away.

I didn't ask this particular question, but I am very appreciative for the answers. We are on our first Oceania cruise after sailing on inclusive lines like Silversea, Seabourn and Regent. In fact, we switched from a Regent to Oceania for a voyage in October after Regent canceled two of the excursions that I was really interested in and my TA and I both had a difficult time finding out about the changes. We were not all that keen on the itinerary anyway, but chose it because of the timing as it is an anniversary cruise.

We are booked on a PH category on the Insignia and decided to get the Prestige package to make it similar to the all inclusivity of our previous cruises. So, thanks for the helpful information. I had no clue how it was going to work.

I believe it is typical, that they swipe the card once, at each venue. So, if you are at Jacques, one enjoys the evening ordering the drinks as they wish, and the staff takes the card at the end of the meal. This is much like a cc payment, but it just goes to account for the liquor.

In some of the "bar" environments they may ask for them earlier, if they don't know you, to assure one doesn't walk on a possible bill. After a few days, the staff get to know you and they wait until you say you're ready to leave. I have never seen the staff waive a customer's card off!:eek: Inventory management is far to important.

I have never seen the staff waive a customer's card off! Inventory management is far to important.

LOL, you infer where I did not imply-

The bartenders had served us on several previous cruises, so they knew our names coming in, and we had taken a big Suite so our cabin number was easy to remember.

We still signed for the cocktails, they just didn't need our World Cards to key us in.

Edited by JimandStan

LOL, you infer where I did not imply-

The bartenders had served us on several previous cruises, so they knew our names coming in, and we had taken a big Suite so our cabin number was easy to remember.

We still signed for the cocktails, they just didn't need our World Cards to key us in.

I'm confused. You state you still signed for the cocktails. Because you had taken a big suite your cabin number was easy to remember like that made a difference. I got to know the bartenders well on a recent cruise, but they didn't care what my cabin number was.

I'm confused. You state you still signed for the cocktails. Because you had taken a big suite your cabin number was easy to remember like that made a difference. I got to know the bartenders well on a recent cruise, but they didn't care what my cabin number was.

I'm confused too. When you have a liquor package, you don't have to sign anything.

Um.....if the bartender ever asks for your World Card, then they care what your cabin number is....

180337.jpg

-and although we've never been asked to sign a receipt cocktail by cocktail, we did always sign a final bill at the end of the night.

Maybe Wendy's husband did the honors :confused:

I'm confused too. When you have a liquor package, you don't have to sign anything.

We have always signed once at each venue be it at the beginning or end of visit. And trust me, they all knew us:D

OK, now I really don't know what to expect. Please lead me through it. I have the Prestige Package for both my wife and myself. We'll go to a bar and order Manhattans. The bartender will ask to see our cards, which will have the BIB notation on them. Are you saying I'll still have to sign some sort of bill before I can leave the bar??? That would be unlike any drink package I've ever had. If he/she needs to note our room number for inventory or any other purpose, that's fine, although I would have hoped as the cruise progressed they would just recognize us, know we had the package, and dispense with the formalities. But having to wait to sign a bill I've prepaid seems ridiculous.:mad:

OK, now I really don't know what to expect. Please lead me through it. I have the Prestige Package for both my wife and myself. We'll go to a bar and order Manhattans. The bartender will ask to see our cards, which will have the BIB notation on them. Are you saying I'll still have to sign some sort of bill before I can leave the bar??? That would be unlike any drink package I've ever had. If he/she needs to note our room number for inventory or any other purpose, that's fine, although I would have hoped as the cruise progressed they would just recognize us, know we had the package, and dispense with the formalities. But having to wait to sign a bill I've prepaid seems ridiculous.:mad:

Methinks that you're trying to stir up a little mischief here, as you certainly would have had to sign for drinks if you had taken the Beverage Package on those Celebrity Cruises....

Methinks that you're trying to stir up a little mischief here, as you certainly would have had to sign for drinks if you had taken the Beverage Package on those Celebrity Cruises....

The first one we did not have the package and I did sign, every time. We got the package the second cruise and I have no recollection of having to sign anything. But it has been a while, I concede.

We had the Prestige Package and never signed. They swiped the card and had all of the information they needed. However, we did have to give our card more than once a couple of times when we had a second cocktail in the same lounge.

However, we did have to give our card more than once a couple of times when we had a second cocktail in the same lounge.

Even with the same bartender or only when there was a personnel change?

I recall with the Celebrity package having to give the card every time. (The ships are so large it's no surprise the bartenders don't recognize you.) But I never remember having to sign anything. Glad to hear at least there's a chance it will be the same on Oceania.

On our Celebrity Reflection cruise in March 2014, we did not have to sign for drinks at any of the bars or in the dining room.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by neepawa

On our Celebrity Reflection cruise in March 2014, we did not have to sign for drinks at any of the bars or in the dining room.

Cheers,

Don

Then you must have been exceptionally good about keeping within the price limits set forth within your "Beverage Plan", because we just sent a niece on a Celebrity cruise and she said that she needed a calculator and an abacus to get through all of the paperwork upcharging her for various cocktails :mad:

We had given the Package as a GIFT and we were mortified!

I must correct you. With the Bev package on X, you do NOT sign for your drinks. The bartender simply takes your card and swipes it. In many cases, particularly the Martini Bar, once they know you they don't even ask for the card many times.

Edited by Aloha 1

Then you must have been exceptionally good about keeping within the price limits set forth within your "Beverage Plan", because we just sent a niece on a Celebrity cruise and she said that she needed a calculator and an abacus to get through all of the paperwork upcharging her for various cocktails :mad:

We had given the Package as a GIFT and we were mortified!

Ah!! In other words she went outside the package. Had she stayed within the choices of the package, no additional charges or signings would have applied. Essentially what you advised me of earlier in this thread for O. Still a good deal as she would have had to pay only the up charge for drinks not on the package instead of full price as on O.

We had the Prestige Package and never signed. They swiped the card and had all of the information they needed. However, we did have to give our card more than once a

couple of times when we had a second cocktail in the same lounge.

Firstly, please understand that this was our first Oceania cruise and we have always sailed on all-inclusive cruise lines. We had no clue what we were suppose to do. I gave the card to the bartender immediately when I ordered the drinks. He swiped it. About 45 minutes later we wanted another drink and he took the card again. This did not happen every time we went into that lounge.

In the specialty restaurants, I just put the card on the table (which I didn't like doing -- it just seemed odd to me -- somewhat like putting your credit card on the table when you order dinner). It wasn't picked up until the end of the meal and wine was topped up whenever necessary. The Terrace Café was yet another scenario. If I ordered wine with lunch, they took the card -- usually a few minutes later. But, if I wanted another one (only happened once), they wanted the card again.

None of this was a big deal -- it was something we needed to get used to. When we are on the Rivera later this year, I'm hopeful that I will appear like a seasoned Oceania traveler rather a newbie:)

May I ask, did you buy the beverage package prior to boarding or once you were onboard? We, too, will be Oceania newbies and unfamiliar with packages having only sailed on all inclusive lines except for our honeymoon 35 years ago on the QE2. And, can we use the OBC for the beverage package if we wait to purchase it once onboard?

Thanks!

We rarely drink at dinner but have noticed when others at the table do the sommelier will discreetly ask for their card near the end of the meal... usually when the main course is finished & plates are being cleared

Some people will sometimes leave their card on the table if they are having a nice conversation so as not to be interrupted

can we use the OBC for the beverage package if we wait to purchase it once onboard?

Thanks!

Yes you can if you purchase the package once on board if you prepurchase I believe you pay at the time of booking same as excursions