First time cruiser> Formal night?

Mrs.Gosse

Hello! My husband and I are first time cruisers and we will be sailing on the Golden Princess to Alaska on Sept. 6th.

I am curious about the formal night and just would like some general information. I hear people talk about it and have read a few posts about other places being open during that night. Can someone fill me in? Is that when pictures are done too and how does THAT work. We are staying in a full suite if that matters. DH is 47 and was going to wear a tie and dress shirt and pants. Does he HAVE to wear a jacket. I and 35 and I was going to wear a dress from the Bettie Page shop.... probably. It says we will have 2 formal nights...

ANY info will be helpful. Thanks everyone.

Hello! My husband and I are first time cruisers and we will be sailing on the Golden Princess to Alaska on Sept. 6th.

I am curious about the formal night and just would like some general information. I hear people talk about it and have read a few posts about other places being open during that night. Can someone fill me in? Is that when pictures are done too and how does THAT work. We are staying in a full suite if that matters. DH is 47 and was going to wear a tie and dress shirt and pants. Does he HAVE to wear a jacket. I and 35 and I was going to wear a dress from the Bettie Page shop.... probably. It says we will have 2 formal nights...

For the Main Dining Room, what you are wearing is ok. Most men will wear a jacket, but you can wear what you mention. You will not be turned away.

Other dining options include The Crown Grll (Seafood, steaks, chops) on Deck 6 and Sabatini's (Italian) on Deck 7. These require reservations. Call the dine line. As you will be full suite passengers you can dine at either one of these for no charge on the first night of the voyage. Again call the dine line or visit them after boarding to make reservations. Other nights the surcharge has been $25/pp. Dress is smart casual all the time.

Other evening casual dining options include the Horizon Ct. Buffet, Deck 14, International Cafe, Deck 5, and The Trident Grill and Prego Pizza outdoors by the pool. These are casual all the time.

Of course, you can always order room service, and as a suite passenger you can order from the full menu.

Don't forget, full suite passengers exclusively may have breakfast in Sabatini's.

The Golden Princess may also be offering The Crab Shack on a few evenings. This is in a section of the Horizon Ct. and has a $20/pp charge. It is also casual dress.

There are other special dining options such as the Chef's Table,and Balcony Dining. If interested inquire once on board.

Look here for full suite perks. http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/PrincessSuite_eFlyer.pdf

Hope this information is useful. Alaska is nice, and the Golden Princess is nice.

We were on the Diamond Princess last month. The Maître D was not allowing men, who did not have a jacket on, into the dining room on formal nights. We were at a table for 6 people. Neither if the other couples were able to eat with us on formal nights because they were refused entry into the dining room. There was a lengthy conversation at the table about how we wouldn't be seeing either couple on formal nights because of the jacket requirement.

It does depend on the maître D. Some will allow shirts/ties, other require that a coat be worn also.

I am commenting because I don't want you to be disappointed if you are turned away due to your husband not wearing a jacket.

As an FYI, you will also see many female passengers wearing dress slacks and a classy top, possibly including a nice wrap (shawl) and some tasteful bling.

Airline luggage fees being what they are these days, fancy formal attire has often become a casualty of air travel.

Photographers will be set up all over the ship with a variety of backgrounds. If you are interested in having pictures done you can choose your favorite background or try them all. Some photographers are better than others.

We decided not to dress up for formal night this last Christmas but went and had some pictures taken anyway. We were just wearing shorts and T shirts in front of the Christmas tree. It's one of our favorite photos.

They also will come into the main dining room and take pictures

The photographers will also have backdrops set up other nights for more casual photos.

Others have or will comment on formal night attire. Just remember that on formal nights, formal attire is only required in the dining rooms. The specialty restaurants will be smart casual and no swimsuits in the Horizon Court. In a full suite, you can order from the dining room menu and eat in your suite on formal nights or any other night if you wish.

You also asked about photos. There will be photographers set up with lighting and various back drops around the ship. There will also be a location by the stairs in the atrium. Just stand in line at any location to have your picture taken. Photos will be available in the Photo Gallery the next day to review and purchase. On several non formal nights they will be set up to take casual photos.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Photographers will be set up all over the ship with a variety of backgrounds. If you are interested in having pictures done you can choose your favorite background or try them all. Some photographers are better than others.

And there is no charge to have the pictures taken.

And if you do not like how they turned out, there is no obligation to purchase them.

We have taken many princess cruises but our last 3 were norweigan, where dressing up for formal night is optionAl. I was very happy with this. On princess we would dress up for dinner and then go back to our room to get changed.

If the reasoning is to have pictures taken for revenue, it seemed that many still

Took pictures dressed as business casual. With airlines posing luggage restrictions it's time princess change there policy, or make the buffet more appealing on formal nights.

Speaking of luggage, it takes no more room to pack a tux than it does a sport coat. I sometimes take a sport coat to wear with Docker style slacks, a dress shirt and tie. Other times I take my tux. It is light weight and takes no more room than the sport coat. We like to dress up for formal nights.

I have other uses for a tux, so I purchased my own several years ago at a national chain department store. It was probably no more expensive than the cost to rent one. Our ballroom dance club has two formal dances per year, so the tux was needed for those.

If the reasoning is to have pictures taken for revenue, it seemed that many still

The reasoning is that it's a special night with a special atmosphere. The menus are better and most passengers get into the mood. It's not just another night of eat and run which you could do at home.

I very rarely see any gentleman without a jacket in any dining room on formal nights and some Maitre d's don't allow them in without one. If we don't feel like dressing up on formal night, we go to a specialty restaurant or the buffet. We never feel we've been cheated out of the dining room menu as it's our choice not to dress up. And, often, the buffet has many of the same items as on the dining room menu.

A year ago, we were on the Diamond Princess from Beijing to Alaska. I'd had a gorgeous gold Chinese jacket made when I was in China years ago and my friends had taken a Viking river cruise before boarding the ship and got jackets as well. We all wore them on formal night and I have to say we were stunning. Got many compliments.

We were on Royal 3/30 cruise and didn't see one gentleman w/out tux (many wore tuxes also) and/or a sports coat w/ suit and tie. This is what formal nights mean to a lot of us. It did state in Princess Chatter that those who did not want to dress should go to Horizon Court to dine. I am sure that there were men there w/out jackets. I did see some men w/out ties but nice dress shirt and sports jacket.

We dined at Crown Grill one evening and wore smart casual. Men had sports jackets on.

Speaking of luggage, it takes no more room to pack a tux than it does a sport coat. I sometimes take a sport coat to wear with Docker style slacks, a dress shirt and tie. Other times I take my tux. It is light weight and takes no more room than the sport coat. We like to dress up for formal nights.

I have other uses for a tux, so I purchased my own several years ago at a national chain department store. It was probably no more expensive than the cost to rent one. Our ballroom dance club has two formal dances per year, so the tux was needed for those.

Of course a tux takes more room. How is it possible that a tuxedo jacket, tuxedo pants, tuxedo shoes, cumberband and tie, or vest, tuxedo shirt, shirt studs, etc take up the same amount of space as a sports jacket? :eek:

Was just on the Emerald for 10 days. I wore long sleeve shirt, tie and nice pants to both Formal nights and was seated both times without a problem. Only heard one comment about it but that person was making nasty comments about everything so I ignored him as all around did. He was the subject of some conversation at our table and it wasn't very nice. Wear it and enjoy your evening.

I very rarely see any gentleman without a jacket in any dining room on formal nights ...

Last week on the Crown, in the traditional dining room, I don't think that there was a singly guy without a jacked and a tux was not uncommon.

Very cute was the 10 and under crowd all decked out :)

Edited by MauiLvrs

Of course a tux takes more room. How is it possible that a tuxedo jacket, tuxedo pants, tuxedo shoes, cumberband and tie, or vest, tuxedo shirt, shirt studs, etc take up the same amount of space as a sports jacket? :eek:

How?

1. My tux coat is lighter weight than my suit coat or sport coat. It packs tighter. I don't wear a coat on dress casual nights, so don't bring another sport coat.

2. I will have dress shoes anyhow for the evening, and can wear these on formal nights (patent leathers not required). Mine are ballroom dancing shoes.

3. I wear slacks to dinner, and the tuxedo pants are my slacks for 2 of 7 nights

4. Same with the shirt - 1 shirt for 2 of 7 nights, with ship's laundry in between.

5. Studs/cufflinks - < 1 cubic inch of luggage space, can be fitted into any suitcase.

6. Cumberbund /tie. One lies flat, but often these fit in the pockets on the cover of the suitcase, taking very little volume.

So, seeing as one wears the formal night wear for 2 of the 7 nights Alaska cruise (in this case), there is little extra compared with just having clothes for those nights, and the extra does not take up that much luggage space.

And if one wears a suit instead, then #5 and #6 don't apply, and a regular tie lies flat in the suitcase, taking even less room.

-------------

To the OP:

I, too, was skeptical about formal nights on my first cruise (back then we had 2 formal nights, 2 semi-formal nights, and 3 casual nights for a 7 day cruise), I soon found the formal wear created an atmosphere that was magical and romantic. You deserve to give it a try. :)

Edited by Times Prince

Was just on the Emerald for 10 days. I wore long sleeve shirt, tie and nice pants to both Formal nights and was seated both times without a problem. Only heard one comment about it but that person was making nasty comments about everything so I ignored him as all around did. He was the subject of some conversation at our table and it wasn't very nice. Wear it and enjoy your evening.

This has been my experience too and I have never been turned away on formal nights. Even wore the same shirt and tie on a 20 night Princess Diamond cruise. People keep trying to make formal night sound like it is some big special night of gala balls. I see nothing special about it and the atmosphere is nothing out of the ordinary either. The menus do not even really look that special to me. I am not a big believer in clothes make you anything special. I think it is basically to sell more photos! :rolleyes:;):cool:

You will have a mini bar set up. If there is anything in there that you do not want, switch it with something you do want. I met someone on our last cruise who was also a first time cruiser who booked a suite and he told me he gave most of the bottles away to people since he only liked beer and gin. No one told him he can exchange them until I did, but it was too late!

How?

1. My tux coat is lighter weight than my suit coat or sport coat. It packs tighter. I don't wear a coat on dress casual nights, so don't bring another sport coat.

2. I will have dress shoes anyhow for the evening, and can wear these on formal nights (patent leathers not required). Mine are ballroom dancing shoes.

3. I wear slacks to dinner, and the tuxedo pants are my slacks for 2 of 7 nights

4. Same with the shirt - 1 shirt for 2 of 7 nights, with ship's laundry in between.

5. Studs/cufflinks - < 1 cubic inch of luggage space, can be fitted into any suitcase.

6. Cumberbund /tie. One lies flat, but often these fit in the pockets on the cover of the suitcase, taking very little volume.

So, seeing as one wears the formal night wear for 2 of the 7 nights Alaska cruise (in this case), there is little extra compared with just having clothes for those nights, and the extra does not take up that much luggage space.

And if one wears a suit instead, then #5 and #6 don't apply, and a regular tie lies flat in the suitcase, taking even less room.

-------------

To the OP:

I, too, was skeptical about formal nights on my first cruise (back then we had 2 formal nights, 2 semi-formal nights, and 3 casual nights for a 7 day cruise), I soon found the formal wear created an atmosphere that was magical and romantic. You deserve to give it a try. :)

LOL, not even going to respond to such nonsense

Most men will be wearing at least a sports jacket.

Alternatives would include the buffet, room service and the specialty restaurants (the last have a charge).

When you are in a suite, you can order room service from the full MDR menu (if you don't feel like dressing up and going "out").:)

Wow, thank you so much everyone. I have not had a chance to read all of them and I need to walk before the sun goes down. I can't wait to get on tonight and read the rest. I love forums and with only about 4 months till our cruise I don't feel like it is too far out to do all this research and get excited. 20 months ago I had to tell myself to back off so I didn't wear myself out on excitement. :D It may have gotten answered earlier and I have not had time to read it but I was wondering if anything different goes on besides the clothing ? Is that the only thing that makes it different?

My husband has a few suits and will likely wear a coat unless they do not fit! :eek: He hasn't worn them in a few months. I guess if they do not fit and he does not want to buy a new coat in hopes of losing weight we could skip the formal night :(

Wow, thank you so much everyone. I have not had a chance to read all of them and I need to walk before the sun goes down. I can't wait to get on tonight and read the rest. I love forums and with only about 4 months till our cruise I don't feel like it is too far out to do all this research and get excited. 20 months ago I had to tell myself to back off so I didn't wear myself out on excitement. :D It may have gotten answered earlier and I have not had time to read it but I was wondering if anything different goes on besides the clothing ? Is that the only thing that makes it different?

My husband has a few suits and will likely wear a coat unless they do not fit! :eek: He hasn't worn them in a few months. I guess if they do not fit and he does not want to buy a new coat in hopes of losing weight we could skip the formal night :(

There have been some fine posts made that you will enjoy.....I will add this...If this is your FIRST cruise, DO NOT miss formal night. nuff said. :);):D