Extra cruise to make Diamond Worth it

After I cruise in September I will only be 10 nights away from being a

Diamond status. Is it worth it to take a 10 night cruise so that I will be

Diamond for when we sail on the Allure in February 2016?

Does the Allure offer any special perks for Diamond? Is there a Diamond lounge on the Allure?

Thanks for any advice.

Does the Allure offer any special perks for Diamond? Is there a Diamond lounge on the Allure?

Thanks for any advice.

Yes, there is a Diamond Lounge on Allure, but I don't know if having free drinks every evening and an increased balcony discount will make taking an extra 10 night cruise worth it.

Edited by clarea

Thanks for any advice.

I'm in a similar situation. I just finished my indy cruise and I am 5 points away from diamond so I am taking a 3 night cruise in a JS for double points to become diamond for my dec cruise

Please only ever cruise because you enjoy the experience, never for points. Yes it has benefits being Diamond or above, the value is based on some additional discounts and a few drinks in a lounge. But an additional cruise is expensive and should only be taken for the right reasons, not to gain status.

Thanks for any advice.

Aside from having a Diamond Lounge, there are no other special Diamond perks specific to Allure (or any other RCI ship for that matter) outside of the standard benefits identified by C & A for that tier.

"Worth it" is a decision only you can make based on your budget and available time.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thanks for all the information. I love cruising and have plenty of vacation days but to be honest I don't think we would drink enough to make up for a 10 night cruise. We will just have them add up as we go. Thanks again.

I don't think the value proposition there is right. I had 7 day cruise booked with my fiancees that was going to leave me 3 points short of being Diamond. I found a 2 night preview cruise with only a 15% single supplement; I booked solo, got the 4 points. After our 7 night sailing together she was able to sign up for C&A (first RCI cruise for her). It was the cruise that put me over the top. On our next sailing, a 10 night, we went from Emerald/Nothing previous to Diamond/Diamond as RCI linked our accounts. In that case it was worth it.

Yeah, it's unusual to have a "point cruise" be worth it (although in my opinion, ANY cruise is "worth it" if you're enjoying yourself, and you can afford to spare the time and money!!)

For example, I'm 21 points shy of D+ right now... and I'm going on a 14-night cruise (solo) in November, which at 28 points will more than put me over the top (thanks to new rule for double points for solos). That cruise is at a great rate, too, which was why I booked it -- as well as for the amazing itinerary.

So, I was trying to figure out if I could afford a solo cruise in a suite for 7 nights BEFORE that cruise (which would be 21 points: 1 extra point for solo, 1 extra point for suite), to hit D+ on the nose... but the lowest JS I could find was nearly TWICE the price of that two-week cruise!!

Somehow, that just doesn't seem worth it to me... especially because I don't drink, and that seems like the major savings of hitting D+ (the concierge lounge/happy hour) -- and even if I did, most of those savings are covered by being Diamond already. I just thought it would be kinda cool to be D+ on that long cruise, hang out in the CL, etc.

In the end, I'm going to focus on paying for and making time for that two-week cruise... I'll reach D+ anyway, just "as it happens" in the course of my cruising... and not spend crazy $$ per night to reach it before a certain cruise.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do... as I said, any cruise is "worth it" if you're enjoying yourself!!

I am doing the 2 night Oasis cruise in August as I am 2 points shy of Diamond Status. We felt the small benefits of priority boarding and debarkation at Cape Liberty was worth it. So my DW gave the green light for me to travel in the cheapest inside cabin and get our status!

Please only ever cruise because you enjoy the experience, never for points. Yes it has benefits being Diamond or above, the value is based on some additional discounts and a few drinks in a lounge. But an additional cruise is expensive and should only be taken for the right reasons, not to gain status.

Thank you. :)

We tacked on a 5-nighter to our upcoming cruise to bring us up to diamond for thereafter, because we had the time to do it, because we wanted to be away for Thanksgiving, and because we thought it would be good to have the benefits and perks for the next cruise, which will likely be Europe/Med. But only you can decide if it's worth it for you. If it had been more than 5 nights we would probably have just waited and gotten there "naturally."

Love to tell our story.

We are relatively new members of Cruise Critic. If it wasn't for our British friend who told us about it, we wouldn't even know. That said, we weren't really paying attention to the different levels of C&A...just simply love to cruise.

Many years ago, while on a cruise, we walked by an "event". All I could see were food/hors d'oeuvres. Curious, I tried walking in and was stopped by a crew member. I apologized and walked away. I said to my wife: "Could be a private party or a wedding reception...I don't know".

Across the way, I could see more food and just couldn't resist that wonderful smell of garlic....I tried walking in again. I was again stopped by a crew member. This time I asked: "What is this for?" She said: "It's for Diamond members only". So I innocently (or ignorantly) asked: "What is a Diamond member?"

She then asked to see my cruise card. So I handed her my cruise card. She said: "Oh! you're Diamond...you can come in."

Yes, it was our introduction to the Diamond Lounge...we have been enjoying it ever since. Note: Hard to believe, but there are long-time cruisers out there who truly don't know about the Diamond Lounge. We have introduced a few ourselves. :)

Thanks for any advice.

EVERY cruise I take is worth it to me....it isn't about the "next level of C&A benefits that I will receive", its about enjoying cruising and doing it when I can.

I wish I could cruise more, not to add the points, but to do it. No one can tell you if it is worth it to go on an additional cruise to achieve the next level of C&A sooner....only YOU can decide.

I am in the process of booking an extra cruise to make diamond plus this year.. I look at it as an excuse to take another cruise.. I agree with Chiplondon the only reason to take a cruise is for the enjoyment....... perks are nice but purely secondary to being at sea

Rick

:)

Respectfully, totally disagree!

The jump to Diamond or Diamond Plus is the exception that should be made.

The benefits expand somewhat exponentially.

The opportunity to experience the lounge experience can't be measured in a simplistic "a few drinks." It's the opportunity to meet fellow cruisers who share similar goals, especially on Oasis and Allure.

By all means, go for it! You will not regret the decision!:)

I I agree with Chiplondon the only reason to take a cruise is for the enjoyment....... perks are nice but purely secondary to being at sea

Rick

Sorry, but the perks are tremendously important!

From the nightly cocktails - to the opportunity to relax in the lounge, making new friends - to the free internet - to the free photos - to tours of the bridge, stage areas and galley - to dedicated areas for breakfast and lunch - THE PERKS MATTER!

We booked a B2B on Majesty to make us Diamond Plus before our Allure B2B in 2010. Wouldn't hesitate to do the same again.

Well done!

The Concierge Lounge with breakfasts and lunches are worth the price alone!

Sorry, but the perks are tremendously important!

From the nightly cocktails - to the opportunity to relax in the lounge, making new friends - to the free internet - to the free photos - to tours of the bridge, stage areas and galley - to dedicated areas for breakfast and lunch - THE PERKS MATTER!

We just turned Diamond and taking a cruise in June-are the diamond perks in the diamond lounge the free internet and breakfast and lunch?? Do you know if we can bring our kids 18 and 12 in the diamond lounge??

We just turned Diamond and taking a cruise in June-are the diamond perks in the diamond lounge the free internet and breakfast and lunch?? Do you know if we can bring our kids 18 and 12 in the diamond lounge??

Unfortunately, kids are only allowed in the Concierge Lounge. It's basically a perk for the suite guests. The breakfast and lunch are available in the CL on Oasis and Allure.

You will, however, receive free internet!