**LIVE from STAR Princess** Noro No More!

remydiva

live from the May 4-9 LA to Vancouver Coastal with stops in San Francisco and Victoria...UPDATES

Good news…the Star Princess…knock wood…is finally free of Noro. Captain Todd McBain (yeah Canada eh?) announced that only one case had been reported after the deep cleaning of the Star in Los Angeles prior to our boarding Sunday May 4. The Captain said while this was good news, the extra efforts of cleaning would continue for another 72 hrs to reduce/eradicate the ‘cross contamination’ that had been occurring with the virus contaminating one cruise following another.

We have seen these continued efforts as our room steward has a bucket with some liquid cleaner that he uses each and every time he enters our room. ALL bathroom necessities were removed from the bathrooms and ship such as toilet paper rolls, Kleenex and all towels. For the first day our supplies were limited as they had to restock from new supplies in LA.

While sitting in Crooners, we noticed the bar staff carrying the same yellow buckets and wiping the tops of tables after each one is vacated as well as redoing the vacant ones. Staff are continually cleaning the handrails, public phones, the walls around the public phones etc. In the MDR, no S/P on the table, buns being passed out by wait staff which is fine by me.

However, we did have some excitement of sorts. On our first sea day at 8:15 am the ship experienced a complete power failure as the engines were changed over from using a light fuel that is required by California laws to the heavier fuel used once safely farther away from the coast. Two engines did not start so the other two were overloaded and quit. Emergency generators kicked in maintaining power to the rooms (and TV) and to the toilets (yeah).

Captain McBain came on the intercom every 15 mins to give updates and to reassure everyone that the US Coast Guard had been notified and we were safe. Luckily it was a lovely sunny day and the waters were calm. After about 90 mins, all four engines were restarted but it took many more hours for all the computer servers to be rebooted thus MUTS was down till later in the afternoon.

Interesting to note, in the event of any power failure, all elevators are designed to return to the 7th floor and doors open so no one was caught.

Our one port day so far, San Francisco, had perfect weather with clear blue skies and sunshine with temps I would guess about 23C. While in San Francisco, marine engineers inspected the ship’s engines etc to make sure that all was good to go.

Juggler/comedian Mike Price is excellent. Comedien Steve Bruner also very good.

The ship is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY depending on how you look at things. During the muster drill in Princess theatre, it was HALF EMPTY/FULL so even with the last minute flash sale at give away prices, there are hall ways that are empty. No line ups for shows (empty seats at all shows) and no line ups for dinner. In fact, Capri dining room is closed so only one (Portofino) is open for Anytime dining and still no wait for a seat (if you want to share).

NO cabin upgrades available we overheard as there are passenger cabin sections they have closed off to continue with the deep cleaning. Princess obviously wants this to be a healthy boat ASAP as they start their no doubt heavily booked Alaskan run. I suspect they are not all that unhappy that there are fewer passengers while they get the upper hand of this stubborn bug.

So if you are booked on this ship in the coming weeks, feel reassured that the battle continues to be waged but the Star Princess is winning and so far so good Noro wise.

Good news! I board on June 3rd! :) And thanks for the update on why Star was adrift for a bit the other day. There was much speculation... ;)

Edited by RickEk

I think very highly of Captain Todd McBain. Surprised he is still on the Star (November 2013 cruise). I found him very informative, very friendly, and would love to sail with him again.

Hard to fill these short cruises when

you have to fly one way or another.

It adds up.

Nice to be half full now so they can clean better.

Also better to take care of you and other passengers

when there is less people.

Also glad for you that the power is fine now.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much. We board on Friday and have been a little anxious, so glad to know it appears to have settled down. I think this 3 day cruise is sold out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Partial quote

live from the May 4-9 LA to Vancouver Coastal with stops in San Francisco and Victoria...UPDATES...

However, we did have some excitement of sorts. On our first sea day at 8:15 am the ship experienced a complete power failure as the engines were changed over from using a light fuel that is required by California laws to the heavier fuel used once safely farther away from the coast. Two engines did not start so the other two were overloaded and quit. Emergency generators kicked in maintaining power to the rooms (and TV) and to the toilets (yeah)....

Interesting to note, in the event of any power failure, all elevators are designed to return to the 7th floor and doors open so no one was caught.

Hi remydiva. Thanks very much for your post. When I'm on board a ship, power failure gets my attention far more than an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness. I would have thought that any change in fuel would have been addressed in advanced by the ship - so, why was it taken by surprise resulting in engine failure.

I'm not certain your comment regarding the elevators is correct: when all power is lost, don't the elevators stop where they are due to loss of power? Please correct me if I am wrong on this, but I wouldn't count on the elevators returning to deck 7 and having the doors open automatically. (There may be an elevator available to emergency teams that works off the emergency generator, but passengers should not count on ALL elevators reaching deck 7 in the event of a complete power failure.) Correction welcome. Thanks, Salacia

Thank you for posting this good news -- we board this Friday and are relieved to hear the news after being on the Crown a few weeks ago with similar safeguards in place.

Thanks for the report. Can you check and see if the All Inclusive Beverage Package is available? Boarding Friday for a short cruise and wondering if these coastal cruises less than 7 days will offer it.

live from the May 4-9 LA to Vancouver Coastal with stops in San Francisco and Victoria...UPDATES

Good news…the Star Princess…knock wood…is finally free of Noro. Captain Todd McBain (yeah Canada eh?) announced that only one case had been reported after the deep cleaning of the Star in Los Angeles prior to our boarding Sunday May 4. The Captain said while this was good news, the extra efforts of cleaning would continue for another 72 hrs to reduce/eradicate the ‘cross contamination’ that had been occurring with the virus contaminating one cruise following another.

We have seen these continued efforts as our room steward has a bucket with some liquid cleaner that he uses each and every time he enters our room. ALL bathroom necessities were removed from the bathrooms and ship such as toilet paper rolls, Kleenex and all towels. For the first day our supplies were limited as they had to restock from new supplies in LA.

While sitting in Crooners, we noticed the bar staff carrying the same yellow buckets and wiping the tops of tables after each one is vacated as well as redoing the vacant ones. Staff are continually cleaning the handrails, public phones, the walls around the public phones etc. In the MDR, no S/P on the table, buns being passed out by wait staff which is fine by me.

However, we did have some excitement of sorts. On our first sea day at 8:15 am the ship experienced a complete power failure as the engines were changed over from using a light fuel that is required by California laws to the heavier fuel used once safely farther away from the coast. Two engines did not start so the other two were overloaded and quit. Emergency generators kicked in maintaining power to the rooms (and TV) and to the toilets (yeah).

Captain McBain came on the intercom every 15 mins to give updates and to reassure everyone that the US Coast Guard had been notified and we were safe. Luckily it was a lovely sunny day and the waters were calm. After about 90 mins, all four engines were restarted but it took many more hours for all the computer servers to be rebooted thus MUTS was down till later in the afternoon.

Our one port day so far, San Francisco, had perfect weather with clear blue skies and sunshine with temps I would guess about 23C. While in San Francisco, marine engineers inspected the ship’s engines etc to make sure that all was good to go.

Juggler/comedian Mike Price is excellent. Comedien Steve Bruner also very good.

The ship is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY depending on how you look at things. During the muster drill in Princess theatre, it was HALF EMPTY/FULL so even with the last minute flash sale at give away prices, there are hall ways that are empty. No line ups for shows (empty seats at all shows) and no line ups for dinner. In fact, Capri dining room is closed so only one (Portofino) is open for Anytime dining and still no wait for a seat (if you want to share).

NO cabin upgrades available we overheard as there are passenger cabin sections they have closed off to continue with the deep cleaning. Princess obviously wants this to be a healthy boat ASAP as they start their no doubt heavily booked Alaskan run. I suspect they are not all that unhappy that there are fewer passengers while they get the upper hand of this stubborn bug.

So if you are booked on this ship in the coming weeks, feel reassured that the battle continues to be waged but the Star Princess is winning and so far so good Noro wise.

Thanks for taking the time to post your report. I'm on the May 12th BVE and the May 23rd cruise to Alaska.

Looking forward to your reports.

Are there any other performers on board?

Thanks!!!

Tom:)

Again want to echo a big Thanks for this update. Taking the Star out of SF to Alaska in early June and I am glad to see that Princess is doing all they can to clean up the ship.