What Beach on Grand Cayman?

WishIwerethere

Be there in 2 weeks and looking for some up to date opinions.

Want to get chairs and a few drinks without breaking the bank. Might bring own snorkeling gear too. What do you folks prefer and why ?

Thanks Guys.

Seven Mile Beach. Its beautiful and many will say its one of the nicest anywhere. We rented a couple of chairs and an umbrella for around $25. Drink prices where we hung out was about the same or less than aboard ship. Not sure if some of the places might offer a bucket special if beer is your thing.

We were there in November and took a cab (can't remember the price but it wasn't much because the ride was pretty short) to the Marriott on Seven Mile beach. It was very quiet and relaxing. $30 for 2 adults. We were treated very well. They came and set up umbrellas and said we could have as many towels/chairs/umbrellas as we wanted (we had our 3 kids with us which they didn't charge for, but they wanted us to know they could have their own chairs etc). There was a guy over to the side with some kayaks and jet skiis if you wanted to rent them (we didn't). And we could use their pools/hot tubs and bathrooms. It was a really relaxing day. Only downside is that the drinks were kind of expensive. $45 for 4 rum punches before tip and a tiny bag of chex mix was like $7 at the little snack stand. We did sneak in a couple bottles of water for the kids which I know is probably frowned upon but I didn't feel too bad after paying that much for food and drinks. haha ;)

Snorkeling was OK. Water was gorgeous and clear and there were fish swimming all around us from the minute we got in. My DH got some pics of some different fish and what he swears was a lobster. IDK if they are actually found in GC or not but he's 110% sure. :rolleyes:

Edited by thefamilytravelagent

I have been to GC 4 times and the first was on a cruise stop.

This is my all time favorite.. even has a webcam.. many lounge chairs for your use, reasonable pricing.

Royal Palms at Seven Mile beach http://royalpalmscayman.com/

right across is a place called Coconuts which has even cheaper meal prices.

There are day passes too for cruisers https://royalpalmscayman.com/all-inclusive-cruise-package

For excellent snorkeling right in town at Abanks Dive center http://www.abanksdivers.com.ky/

http://www.abanksdivers.com.ky/

http://www.caymanislandsdiscounts.com/AbanksEntrance.JPG

free lounges and a decent restaurant there too, right in Georgetown

Eden's Rock is like jumping into an aquarium!

Edited by ISLABONITA

We were there in November and took a cab (can't remember the price but it wasn't much because the ride was pretty short) to the Marriott on Seven Mile beach. It was very quiet and relaxing. $30 for 2 adults. We were treated very well. They came and set up umbrellas and said we could have as many towels/chairs/umbrellas as we wanted (we had our 3 kids with us which they didn't charge for, but they wanted us to know they could have their own chairs etc). There was a guy over to the side with some kayaks and jet skiis if you wanted to rent them (we didn't). And we could use their pools/hot tubs and bathrooms. It was a really relaxing day. Only downside is that the drinks were kind of expensive. $45 for 4 rum punches before tip and a tiny bag of chex mix was like $7 at the little snack stand. We did sneak in a couple bottles of water for the kids which I know is probably frowned upon but I didn't feel too bad after paying that much for food and drinks. haha ;)

Snorkeling was OK. Water was gorgeous and clear and there were fish swimming all around us from the minute we got in. My DH got some pics of some different fish and what he swears was a lobster. IDK if they are actually found in GC or not but he's 110% sure. :rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, we had someone charge their drinks on our "tab" and we had to have it removed.

Also the area in front of the beach is rocky and you have to go way to the right to enter the sandy area.

We were there overnight and there are nice pools and lounges but everything is very pricey.

This is my all time favorite.. even has a webcam.. many lounge chairs for your use, reasonable pricing.

There are day passes too for cruisers https://royalpalmscayman.com/all-inclusive-cruise-package

agree, when we went there they didnt have the all inclusive package.. but it is a great place

Want to get chairs and a few drinks without breaking the bank. Might bring own snorkeling gear too. What do you folks prefer and why ?

want sand or good snorkeling? (7 Mile is great sand beach but snorkeling over sand?)

if snorkeling from 'iron shore' sounds good, head down to Sunset House. Snorkeling is free ... just jump in, altho I recommend you DO stop by the dive shop where there is a map of things to see in the area of Sunset Reef.

Then head to My Bar ... good lunch and drinks that won't break the bank. And once you spend a few dollars I've never seen anyone say boo to a patron using the lounge chairs or the pool .... no charge ....

Search on Sunset House in the Cayman and Diving sections .... very friendly and considered by many a well kept secret. I've been going here since the mid 80's.

About 3/4 mile south of town. A short taxi ride or just walk it, I do.

Sunsethouse.com

sunsethouse_zps9083c174.jpg

100_0129_zps1e515da8.jpg

Do you need to reserve in advance for Royal Palms, or wing it and just show up!

Thanks...

---Paul in Southern NJ

Do you need to reserve in advance for Royal Palms, or wing it and just show up!

Thanks...

---Paul in Southern NJ

If you go to the link it gives you option one which is to pay the $2 entry fee and then go about your day renting the chaise having lunch, etc.

We stayed in GC for days so only went there for swimming and having lunch.

Actually my avatar photo was taken there at the Royal Palms outdoor seating area during lunch.

Edited by ISLABONITA

my wife and i, along with three of our dinner tablemates, went to royal palms a couple of weeks ago off of navigator. cab was 4 bucks a person. 6 minute cab ride. royal palms was 3 bucks a person entry and gets you pool, loungers and tables at the pool and dressing/ restrooms. the pool is very clean but small by most resort standards (paradise beach for instance). there is a swim up bar and two bartenders were there pretty much all the time we were there. there are plenty of chairs and umbrellas for rent on the beach. my wife and her sisters were there about three weeks earlier and rented one of the private beach cabanas and thought it was excellent. the drinks were good and a couple that was with us ordered fish and chips which they said was excellent. as for the cost of everything in grand cayman, it's a costly stop. the good news is that like most affluent areas the feeling there is very safe and we encountered no pushy street vendors. we've been to g.c. probably 9 times and after one experiences the stingrays and snorkeling cemetary reef this is an excellent way to spend the day. we'll definitely return.

Edited by lifes-a-beach

Royal Palms - questions:

Do you pre-purchase (reservation?) if you're just doing the $2.00 entry and $7.00 beach chair rental?

We're going to be there in September, is it necessary to make a reservation? Or will we have a good chance of just walking up and getting in?

Can we bring our own drinks/food in? Or do we have to buy theirs? How about just water?

From what I've seen, you only have to pre-reserve if you want the package, not if you just want to pay the $2.

September shouldn't be too crowded, depending on the number of ships in port that day.

No outside food or drinks are allowed at all, not even water. It is a restaurant, so ideally they want you to buy theirs. That's why the entry fee is so cheap considering how good the facilities are. There is a cooler of free drinking water and a stack of glasses by the bar, though.

From what I've seen, you only have to pre-reserve if you want the package, not if you just want to pay the $2.

September shouldn't be too crowded, depending on the number of ships in port that day.

No outside food or drinks are allowed at all, not even water. It is a restaurant, so ideally they want you to buy theirs. That's why the entry fee is so cheap considering how good the facilities are. There is a cooler of free drinking water and a stack of glasses by the bar, though.

Thank you.

If I remember correctly, we had someone charge their drinks on our "tab" and we had to have it removed.

Also the area in front of the beach is rocky and you have to go way to the right to enter the sandy area.

We were there overnight and there are nice pools and lounges but everything is very pricey.

IDK about that because we didn't have a tab. Just paid cash for them when we got them.

There are some of those big white rocks in the water that look kind of like a brain. My son actually got us in trouble trying to bring some back on the ship haha. But the beach has very nice sand and those rock things didn't bother us at all. We went in anywhere and so did everyone else we saw. Unlike some beaches where you can't even walk on the "sand" without shoes because it's pretty much just crushed up shells and rocks. The sand here was great and yes, if you want snorkeling, you'll have some rocks. There's no such thing as good snorkeling without some rocks. We kind of made it a game of walking on top of the bigger rocks to get out further.

For us, the big draw here as opposed to some of the other places on SMB was that it was nice and quiet and not even remotely crowded. We could see further down the beach to what I assume was the public beach area or Sea Grape? (IDK for sure) and it seemed REALLY crowded down there and more of a party atmosphere than what we were looking for.

Not sure if these photos will post or not since I've never done this before but here are a couple...

photo.php?fbid=10201365689038577&l=662e884722

photo.php?fbid=10201365680278358&l=42e6ce2b5b

Edited by thefamilytravelagent