Why are some Cruise Critic roll calls more active than others?

The first thing I do after a cruise is booked is join my Cruise Critic roll call. However, sometimes there are already thousands of posts and, in the case of my latest cruise, 20 ... with the cruise being 5 weeks away.

What makes one roll call more chatty than another?

We had a pretty quiet roll call and facebook group for our cruise last year.

The people on the cruise were fantastic however and we met lifelong friends (through the fb group).

This cruise roll call is very chatty and has planned lots of things which although everyone is lovely, I find a bit overwhelming.

:D we're the only one on the Emerald princess Jan 11th 2015 :eek: , will either have the boat to our selfs or should see some amazing price drops !!

You'll love it. We were on the HAL Amsterdam in 2003 with 188pax onboard.

We find the cruises that the shorter itins have basically non-existant roll calls.

I started the roll call for the Oct 25th repo from NY on the Royal in June 2013.

As of today there are 3,604 posts. There are many sailing that have done repo after repo and know each other. It is a great roll call. :D

My observation has been that cruises with lots of sea days to fill (transatlantic/transpacific) tend to have active roll-calls. The European destinations tend to have a lot of activity too -- especially planning shore excursions. Unique itineraries (eg: repositioning cruises) tend to do well, in the roll-call department too. :cool:

It seems to me that the more active roll calls are dominated by only a few people who run up the number of posts with chit chat not really related to the cruise. The posts will increase in proportion to the number of people who already know each other. And then there is somebody who takes control and posts activity reports, etc. continuously.

We cruise in about 120 days and our roll call is dead lol I think there is 20 post and probably 10 of them are from me trying to get people to talk!

Last three cruises the roll call was BUSY this one..nope not at all

no idea why..:)

My Carnival Splendor Repositioning cruise has over 2100 on CC and a ton on Facebook, which is a closed private group. I have been on roll calls that never got off the ground , one on the Carnival Liberty had over 3000 posts on cc. Once on one ship after a fair roll call practically no one showed up at our sail away M&G. My friend "Frito58" on CC said he's had people come to his M&G's that NEVER were on the roll call. People are funny!

just the luck of the draw. My first three cruises were more or less like this

1. Decent size, but maybe half a dozen of us kept it going. About thirty showed up to the meet and greet on the ship.

2. Almost non existent. Very few posting, no M&G

3. Same as #2, but with a few more people posting

So far we have a small but chatty group for my upcoming cruise with plenty of scheduled activities.

On the other hand, a friend who also posts here always gets great groups with lots of active posters.

We were on the Golden Princess for a 31 day cruise from Buenos Aires to LA. It was extremely active, thanks in part to an Aussie named Russell, who organized the M&G's. On the first leg we had about 150 people and almost the same on the second leg. Since we had many port calls there were many posts organizing private tours for the various ports.

YMMV

In my case, I don't provide specific information about upcoming travel plans hence, I don't register on a Roll Call. I'll update my signature when I get back. Some of my friends on Facebook may be aware I'm going to take a cruise but, they don't yet know the specifics. Several assumed I was already on the cruise!:D

There are many factors including how many people are taking the cruise and just the mix of people. Sometimes it just takes a leader to get things going.Keith

Actually, it does take a person who is willing to step up and be the leader to get things going.

:o Guilty for not being willing to so this.

LuLu

:D we're the only one on the Emerald princess Jan 11th 2015 :eek: , will either have the boat to our selfs or should see some amazing price drops !!

That would be nice but, number of people on a roll call really is no indication of how many will actually be on the ship so don't count on price drops.:confused::) You can always hope, though.

We had a pretty quiet roll call and facebook group for our cruise last year.

The people on the cruise were fantastic however and we met lifelong friends (through the fb group).

This cruise roll call is very chatty and has planned lots of things which although everyone is lovely, I find a bit overwhelming.

The good thing is you can participate as much or as little as you choose. :)