Favorite Ship and Favorite Port.

Susie51

I saw this on another cruise line forum and wanted to know what is your favorite HAL ship and favorite HAL port.

I have been on three of the Vista class ships: Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, and Westerdam. I can't remember the décor differences. The service was excellent on each ship. Great MDR experiences on all of them. We had SY on Oosterdam and the bed was incredible. For that reason, I am choosing O.

My favorite HAL port is Quebec City while I was on Maasdam.

Favorite ship: Oosterdam Favorite port: Quebec City

What's your favorites?

Favorite ship is Maasdam - better size than the three Vistas I've sailed. But I'm looking forward to Prinsendam this fall, so that may change.

Favorite ports are Rome and St. Maarten - so much so that we stay a few days in Rome before boarding. We stay on St. Maarten for a couple of weeks each January. For a one day port call, it's hard to say - perhaps Half Moon Cay or San Juan.

Prinsendam without question. She does so many fabulous ports in Europe, it is really hard to pick just one.

One experience I am really grateful we did on her was the Kiel canal

:)

Favorite HAL-operated ship:Prinsendam

Favorite HAL-built ship: Zaandam

Port: I don't know if it qualifies as a port but I want to say Glacier Bay. Other top ports Reykjavik, St. Helena, and Cape Town.

Roy

Ship: Probably Ryndam. Possibly Prinsendam.

Port: Probably any and all scenic cruising days in Antarctica. Possibly any port in Norway.

Would you have changed your answer if Rotterdam V was clearly an allowable choice?

Roy

Would you have changed your answer if Rotterdam V was clearly an allowable choice?

Very possibly, yes.

I still love that ship, although she is (was?) so different from what is offered today.

There is much to like about the cabins on the Ryndam, and the Prinsendam, compared to the inside cabins I stayed in on the ss Rotterdam. But those public rooms had such marvelous detail! The art built into the structure of the ship itself is just not seen in today's ships.

The Prinsendam is our winning ship as she goes to wonderful places and is so easy to get around on. Our favorite ports are in Israel, Haifa and Ashdod. Our emotional connection there is unbeatable. Jerusalem is mystical, the city of gold.

Our tour to Safad felt otherworldly with stairways to the stars and a prophet peeking out of every alleyway, or at least a candle maker or craftsman.

Favorite HAL ship is the Prinsendam..2nd favorite is the Amsterdam

Can't name a port only because I've been to so many wonderful places in the world & stayed longer that a week in so many of them.. IMO one can't get the feel of any city/port by spending only one or two days in one place..

However, if we could afford to fly first or business class to Australia would love to take DH there..Then we could take an "11 day Australian outback cruise"

http://www.audleytravel.com/us/destinations/australasia/australia/things-to-do/australian-outback-cruise-11-day.aspx

I spent 10 days touring that wonderful country after working a week in Sydney, before we were married over 38 yrs ago... Loved the entire country & next time would like to visit New Zealand..

Would also enjoy taking HAL's 45 day Boston to Boston cruise to Europe, if I could convince our Friends to go with us..

Edited by serendipity1499

Of the eight HAL ships we have sailed the Maasdam is our clear favorite mainly because of cabins 205 or 220. Check them out. The crew is always outstanding.

So many good ports to choose from; Boston, Quebec City and San Francisco stand out. The big cities are easy to get around and there is always so much to do.