How to Kill a Roll Call

Orator

Or, make one a wonderful experience.

Roll Calls are a great way for people on a cruise to get to know each other prior to embarkation. I've been on some lively, interesting Roll Calls. I've also been on some where I just tune out. So that we might avoid the latter, what kills and what makes a Roll Call?

Kill: Extended conversations about personal matters between 2 people.

One person posting at least 25 % of the time.

One or two people appearing to trying to sell something.

Make: A good mix of new and experienced cruisers who are willing to share information.

People who have been to the Ports of Call offering insider information.

Anything to add?

One of the irritating things on roll calls is the repeated use of the "Quote" option and not the "Quick Reply" that I have used here for example. I understand that it might be necessary to quote something that occurred a day or two ago but when each person who comments quotes, and quotes and quotes a comment in repeated posts................you end up with a bloated roll call that has little appeal.....................and now CC gives me the option AGAIN to "Quote message in reply"

i have been blessed with awesome roll calls and a couple of duds. I hesitate to say as i was bashed before, but i really like some conversation over 20 or so pages that has something to do with cruise. Also, i think it is offensive to read responses to those asking about ports to be told to do some research.

Everyone contributes to the enthusiasm..iI love a great roll call...it really can make a difference.

i have been blessed with awesome roll calls and a couple of duds. I hesitate to say as i was bashed before, but i really like some conversation over 20 or so pages that has something to do with cruise. Also, i think it is offensive to read responses to those asking about ports to be told to do some research.

Everyone contributes to the enthusiasm..iI love a great roll call...it really can make a difference.

I get a little concerned when there is too many organized activities going on....

Don't you just love it when there is a very long list of participants for an activity and someone copies the entire list only to post: "Please add Mary and Tom". Naturally the next post also copies the entire list and at the end says: " You're added".

What really bothers me most is when people join a roll call and are totally ignored. I at least try to say "Welcome" and looking forward to sailing with you. Also, try to ask something that might get them to chat a bit more because I'm honestly interested.

I was away for almost three weeks before an upcoming cruise one time. Two couples joined while I was away. Both were totally ignored by others chatting among themselves. Not good. :o

LuLu

One of the irritating things on roll calls is the repeated use of the "Quote" option and not the "Quick Reply" that I have used here for example. I understand that it might be necessary to quote something that occurred a day or two ago but when each person who comments quotes, and quotes and quotes a comment in repeated posts................you end up with a bloated roll call that has little appeal.....................and now CC gives me the option AGAIN to "Quote message in reply"

It not that difficult to scroll past the quoted text! :confused:

Edited by boogs

What kills a roll call for me is when cruisers are trying to organize their tours and all the correspondence between the group are done on the roll call back and forth numerous times. I think this is much better done with the organizer and participants discussing plans privately off the boards. If a group has openings yes bring it up but post an email for contact .:)

1. Don't post about your Aunt Martha's sciatica or your cousin Lester's divorce.

2. Don't keep "bumping" a post to put the thread back to the first page of the forum during the early stages before many people have booked the voyage. (even CC asks you not to do that). There's an easy search tool to find your roll call, so it doesn't need to be continually "bumped" to the top.

Edited by BEAV

Well, first of all -- I've been very lucky. Except for one or two that never did seem to "take off", I've had great roll-calls, on all of my RC and X cruises. :cool:

Although, I'm very glad that I've never personally encountered a "Roll-Call-Zilla" -- you know -- that person who takes over the roll call, and everything is their way or the highway. :eek:

Edited by wwcruisers

All of the above - some very good answers here.

I also don't like it when someone decides to be keeper of the roll call and details have to be emailed to that person who keeps a spreadsheet with names, activities etc rather than just updating the list on here. I'm sailing on a Celebrity cruise next year and have no idea of who is on the roll call as someone has taken charge this way. I would just prefer it to be open on the board for everyone to see and join in.

Edited by Bobal

I have joined a rollcall rather later than usual - just suffered withdrawal symptoms from the Eclipse when home so invited my daughter to join me :)

My first rc seemed fine.... I joined in before the day, registered etc.... but when on the ship we had been left off the name tags.... so noone would know we were were and the "organiser" just blanked us with an off the should comment to just mingle. Not a great experience. On my next trip I organised the rc and made sure that I did all the names in duplicate and that I took spare labels in case I had omitted anyone or indeed if anyone just wished to join us. On that occasion the only disappointment was the number of no shows . Last July the only thing I organised was an 8 person 2 day tour of St P and others ran a great rc, sailaway and a subsequent on board bar game. The web site if information re the Baltic etc that 3 of the group ran was amazing.... a sterling effort and so much appreciated by all.

The current rc seems to have fizzled out despite the sterling attempts (on reading back) that a few folk made. I wonder whether by now they have given up. I seem now to have volunteered to do name tags for anything we do have re a sailaway.

For me the advantages of a rollcall is that it keeps the forthcoming trip real and alive and it is as much or as little as you wish it to be. The opportunity to make friends or just to have people you can nod to even if you never actually manage to come across them again in the 2 weeks you are onboard!

Kill: groups of people that have cruised together in the past that totally dominate the roll call and ignore those outside the "clique"

I don't know anything about this... :rolleyes:

We've had people leaving endless comments, treating it like Twitter, and competing and tallying who gets top of each page.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Do the people who do these things even recognize themselves in these descriptions? I am currently on a roll call where many of the posts concern two posters and their arrangements to meet for brunch and then how lovely their personal onshore meet and greet was.

Kill: A person who often starts or takes over the roll call and 'manages' everyone, making lists and planning excursions, then, suddenly cancels their cruise.

OK, I get it if your 'Aunt Jane' is sickly but 'we decided we can't afford this vacay' was a little odd after posting for almost a year:rolleyes:.

I had some very good roll calls where I got some valuable information. One I found out my cruise price dropped just prior to final payment and saved over $600. I made sure I found that person at the Connections and bought him and his wife a drink.:D Another put me on to an excellent guide in St Petersburg, best tour I ever had.

The bad ones, I just breeze over, its a message board, not a big deal.

Edited by Banjo