Just Booked our 1st Princess Cruise

cruisejames

Just booked our 1st Princess cruise. :)

We have sailed with NCL for the last few years, whilst we still love the product we are looking forward to seeing the differences between the 2 lines.

We are also looking forward to the formal nights especially as we have chosen a Trans-Atlantic for 2015 and feel the cooler climate will enable us to enjoy this more. (never seems right putting a tie on in the Caribbean)

I hope you enjoy your first Princess cruise. Typically the ships feel less crowded to me than NCL. Of course, I think NCL has the best suite perks of any line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have sailed with NCL for the last few years, whilst we still love the product we are looking forward to seeing the differences between the 2 lines.

We are also looking forward to the formal nights especially as we have chosen a Trans-Atlantic for 2015 and feel the cooler climate will enable us to enjoy this more. (never seems right putting a tie on in the Caribbean)

Hope you have a great trip.

Congratulations. I think you'll appreciate the difference. We generally sail on Princess but occasionally stray to Holland America, Celebrity, and even Carnival. We haven't sailed on NCL in 25 years.

We are looking at doing a Princess cruise having previously done 1 Royal Carribean and 3 Celebrity cruises. Is Princess along the same lines as Rc & Cc? It was the itinerary that appealed a 10 day Canada cruise from NYC. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Enjoy your 1st cruise with Princess.

We understand about the tie in the Caribbean type of thing :).

We are looking at doing a Princess cruise having previously done 1 Royal Carribean and 3 Celebrity cruises. Is Princess along the same lines as Rc & Cc? It was the itinerary that appealed a 10 day Canada cruise from NYC. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The biggest difference for me is that Princess lets you "stack" OBC. You don't have to decide which one you want, you can have them ALL. From Princess, your TA, veteran's, shareholder, whatever.

We went on one cruise with over $800 in OBC.

Any questions you can get information here on CC. Did you join your CC Roll Call? On Princess you can go directly to your cabin when you board, it will be ready. Drop your carry ons and start your cruise.

i have only sailed princess, are there cruise lines which you board and your cabin is not ready? i would not like that...

thanks

i have only sailed princess, are there cruise lines which you board and your cabin is not ready? i would not like that...

thanks

Yes, Carnival has cabins ready by 1:30pm (I think that is the time). You can pay extra to have cabin available upon boarding

We are looking at doing a Princess cruise having previously done 1 Royal Carribean and 3 Celebrity cruises. Is Princess along the same lines as Rc & Cc?

We find that Princess is similar in many respects to the RCCL Voyager Class. Some of the differences:

o Princess does not have the rock climbing wall, ice skating rink or flowrider.

o RCCL has a three story dining room. Princess has three separate one story dining rooms.

o You do not have to pay in advance of the cruise for shore excursions on Princess.

o If you have Anytime dining (RCCL's My Time Dining) you do not have to pay the daily gratuities in advance of the cruise.

o Princess has it's shops centered around a three story atrium. RCCL has its boutiques on the Royal Promenade on a single deck.

o RCCL has a parade one evening down the Royal Promenade. Princess does not have a similar parade, but usually has a deck party one evening.

o Although you can go to your cabin as soon as you board on Princess, the reason you can do that is on disembarkation day you need to be out of your cabin by 8 AM.

o On RCCL the only decent hamburger is at Johnny Rockets which has a cover charge. On Princess there is a no-cover-charge grill near a swimming pool.

o The sports court on Princess is about half the size of the one on RCCL and is not as well located.

Edited by caribill

The biggest difference for me is that Princess lets you "stack" OBC. You don't have to decide which one you want, you can have them ALL. From Princess, your TA, veteran's, shareholder, whatever.

We went on one cruise with over $800 in OBC.

That and the Elite rewards keep us coming back to Princess. The suite perks are also some of the best.

Edited by dorisis

We find that Princess is similar in many respects to the RCCL Voyager Class. Some of the differences:

o Princess does not have the rock climbing wall, ice skating rink or flowrider.

o RCCL has a three story dining room. Princess has three separate one story dining rooms.

o You do not have to pay in advance of the cruise for shore excursions on Princess.

o If you have Anytime dining (RCCL's My Time Dining) you do not have to pay the daily gratuities in advance of the cruise.

o Princess has it's shops centered around a three story atrium. RCCL has its boutiques on the Royal Promenade on a single deck.

o RCCL has a parade one evening down the Royal Promenade. Princess does not have a similar parade, but usually has a deck party one evening.

o Although you can go to your cabin as soon as you board on Princess, the reason you can do that is on disembarkation day you need to be out of your cabin by 8 AM.

o On RCCL the only decent hamburger is at Johnny Rockets which has a cover charge. On Princess there is a no-cover-charge grill near a swimming pool.

o The sports court on Princess is about half the size of the one on RCCL and is not as well located.

Thank you for this comparison! My last two cruises were RCCL and next Fall will be my first Princess cruise. I wondered what to expect. I do like RCCL but given they are known to be a great "family line" and I travel solo - I thought I may want to test out a few others lines. Plus Princess had the best options for Japan. I also really appreciated that the solo rate was not 200% of the double occupancy - it was about 150% which I don't mind at all.