HAL the last line allowing balcony smoking

LMaxwell

FYI - It is being widely reported on the Norwegian board that a smoking ban policy will be rolled out this week. Customer service already confirming by phone.

This leaves HAL as the last of mainstream cruise lines with balcony smoking. I have a source who claims a similar policy will be in place by mid 2015.

This is just for informational purposes.

FYI - It is being widely reported on the Norwegian board that a smoking ban policy will be rolled out this week. Customer service already confirming by phone.

This leaves HAL as the last of mainstream cruise lines with balcony smoking. I have a source who claims a similar policy will be in place by mid 2015.

My "source" at HAL told me they are waiting for the 3,000th smoking thread before they make the announcement. ;)

My "source" at HAL told me they are waiting for the 3,000th smoking thread before they make the announcement. ;)

Love it:D

OP, i thought Seabourn still permitted as well;)

LOL. I am only reporting what an employee I know well at corporate has told me.

permits balcony smoking as do the foreign based Carnival ships.

Not Carnival Australia -- they have pretty much the same policy as Celebrity -- no in-door smoking at all and no balcony smoking.

I think when people refer to HAL as the last top allow balcony smoking, they are referring to major mass-market lines -- Seaborne and Cunard -- aren't mass-market.

If the rumor is true about NCL, I'm amazed, I couldn't believe that Carnival was ahead of HAL and now NCL -- WOW!

Cunard does not allow balcony smoking, on Costa I believe the "spa cabins" are a smoke free zone, so you can get a smoke free balcony ( as was true on Carnival--but for some reason not on HAL).

It is odd that HAL would wait such a short time to announce if that is what is planned. It would have made more sense to announce with Carnival. Isn't that what happened when they banned in cabin smoking---it was a corporation wide change in policy?

I feel sorry for people who canceled Carnival and booked on NCL (or maybe HAL) only to have an announcement follow so quickly.

Not even a week. Just two days with no smoking thread.

Terri

There are 442 threads on Cruise Critic with the word "smoking" in the title.

Sit back and relax....

More to come as this is a popular subject.

There are 442 threads on Cruise Critic with the word "smoking" in the title.

Sit back and relax....

More to come as this is a popular subject.

Enjoy them while you have them -- when the smoking issue is settled once and for all -- smoking threads pretty much disappear. Smoking threads are very rare on the Celebrity board. It was mostly put to rest there long ago. :)

Edited by CRUZBUDS

Enjoy them while you have them -- when the smoking issue is settled once and for all -- smoking threads pretty much disappear. Smoking threads are very rare on the Celebrity board. It was mostly put to rest there long ago. :)

There have been 37 new threads so far this year on the Celebrity board in which smoking is discussed, the latest started last week, and in most cases smoking is the subject of the thread, not just mentioned in passing. While sparks fly from time to time, most of these threads tend to be more informational than combative. For example, there's a designated smoking area on the port side, deck 5 on some of the ships, and many of the threads address the issue of the impact on those with balconies over that area.

I suspect that smoking threads will only disappear after smoking is totally banned from cruise lines.

Edited by Fouremco

On his blog earlieR in the week, JH said he had inside information that the 2 major lines that did not ban balcony smoking would do so by the end of the year. If NCL does so on Wednesday, that leaves only Holland that allows smoking. I would imagine since both Carnival and Holland are both owned by Carnival Corporation, he really does have inside information.

Was on Nieuw Amsterdam last July for a 24 day Med cruise, we were very lucky with our next door suit mates no one smoked! It was wonderful. We were told then that HAL was seriously contemplating on doing no smoking on balconies by next year! We will be on Nieuw Amsterdam for their 14 day Caribbiean cruise this coming March. hope it gets implemented! Now do you think how Carnival has gotten soooo much bad press over the years new management thought this no smoking policy was a good way to attract a new crowd? We are 3 star Mariners and will be getting our 4th on the next cruise. Never been on Carnival and would never think of a cruise with them. A Lepoard never changes their spots in my opinion. I did call HAL Mariners and they said there is a good chance no smoking will be implemented soon! Will see

LOL. I am only reporting what an employee I know well at corporate has told me.

FYI The Hosts just closed a contentious smoking thread two days ago..

This is our third notification in the past two weeks.. This may very well become contentious as well... Please help us keep this board civil & do a search before you start a new thread..

Thanks

Edited by serendipity1499

ALL RIIIIIIIIGHT! Let's get busy then! :D

Let's get to it. The sooner we get to 3,000 threads,

The sooner HAL can drop the reputation as "Ashtray of the Seas'.