Princess to Add 19th Ship to Fleet

kimchee1212

Thank you Loonbeam.This is one of the most sensible posts on this thread.:D

People that cruised and enjoyed their cruise are called "cheerleaders." They were even told by the ships detractors,that they should rate the ship low because it didn't have features they wanted. Imagine being told to write your review their way! If you don't, then your review doesn't

matter? My review is about my personal experience on the ship and I have the right to state these experiences without someone coming along and suggesting I shouldn't be believed.

The people that dislike the ship, said it would fail, it was a huge mistake and should be "sent down under" are not happy now because the ship didn't fail.

If you want a different ship, then tell Princess about it, but don't call those of us that like or enjoyed the ship names like "cheerleaders" if we fail to agree on the ship.

Everyone's opinions matter. :)

Where is the like button? :)

They are also doing very well in attracting new cruisers, who quite honestly make us more money."

It's the second part of that that is really of interest in terms of new builds.

Absolutely. I've said frequently that, if Princess could fill their ships with new cruisers, the Captains Circle program would cease to exist. They tolerate their MTPs; they LOVE their new cruisers, which also goes a long way in explaining why a new level was added not for Super Elites, but for people with fewer than 5 Princess cruises.

I think that attracting new cruisers is something RC excels at. And by hooking them and allowing their cruise credits to be honored on Celebrity and Azamara, they are doing the things that go a long way in explaining why their stock is doing so much better than CCL.

Hi Bob,

I'm having a readers version of 'writers block'. Or I'm thick headed. ;)

I'm not getting what you're trying to say. If the interior layout of the public spaces, and the majority of the public spaces themselves, are similar to the Grand-class as I've pointed out, is it the decor you're eluding to? Or something else? As Denzil Washington said, 'explain it t to me like I'm a four year old".

:D

Hi Dave;

Sorry if I sounded confusing:). I guess what I was referring to was what Princess did to the similar designs (on the Royal) as it changed, modernized, or updated them. This is what I believe some people have an issue with. Just my humble opinion.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Possibly. But I'm not sure it makes good business sense to alienate anyone. And in our case, we didn't go to a grand class, we went to Celebrity.
Princess hasn't built a ship that would alienate me enough to look at another cruise line. Not as long as I get the TA discount, previous cruiser discount, all the different OBCs, and the Elite perks. And as long as I have a good time.

Princess hasn't built a ship that would alienate me enough to look at another cruise line. Not as long as I get the TA discount, previous cruiser discount, all the different OBCs, and the Elite perks. And as long as I have a good time.

That's good. I got past cruiser discount, $200 OBC from celebrity, free gratuities, Free drink package and $350 OBC from my TA. I guess we're both happy :)

Possibly. But I'm not sure it makes good business sense to alienate anyone. And in our case, we didn't go to a grand class, we went to Celebrity.

We have been comparing Royal to the celebrity s class ships as we think they are similar. Is that what you are cruising on Celebrity? And how would you compare S class and Royal/Regal?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have been comparing Royal to the celebrity s class ships as we think they are similar. Is that what you are cruising on Celebrity? And how would you compare S class and Royal/Regal?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The only thing that really puts us off Royal is the small balconies. Don't really care about the other defects. We sailed an S class for the first time in late April and were blown away. Absolutely loved her. Very large buffet so no plus to Princess there. We enjoyed the covered adult solarium pool which is free in Celebrity. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an S class to anyone. We book the side of the hump cabins which have huge decks

The people that dislike the ship, said it would fail, it was a huge mistake and should be "sent down under" are not happy now because the ship didn't fail.

If you want a different ship, then tell Princess about it, but don't call those of us that like or enjoyed the ship names like "cheerleaders" if we fail to agree on the ship.

Or names like "naysayers" for people who don't agree with you? ;)

Pointing out where improvements can be made without significantly redesigning the ship is helpful. Wishing they would go back to a lesser profitable ship design because you like the way things used to be is not.

Are the older ships in the fleet less profitable because of their design or because they aren't the newer ships that can demand higher per diems? Because when they were new, they too were making more money than the older ships in the fleet. I get the fact that the larger the ship, the less it costs to operate it and therefore better for the bottom line. But the good old Grand Class design must be fairly cost effective since there are so many of them. And as the expert pointed out, Royal and Regal - except for those differences we all know so well - have pretty much the same platform.

The problem with Princess and these new ships is that - as you say - They. Make. Money. And ship design and cruise lines are all managed by the bottom line. While that may be the way it is, that doesn't mean we have to swallow it graciously.

Operating costs are one reason. The Royal and Regal have taken advantage of design, engineering and technical advances which let them move more weight at less cost per mile. So newer designs will always have that advantage.

And of course, they have more passengers.

But bluntly, they have even more ways to part you from your money. The Sanctuary costs more, the thermal suite is bigger (and costs more) the Sanctuary has cabanas, they have more for fee dining options, etc. Add that to more first time pax (and as I noted, favorable itineraries) and that equals more money, even without a new ship premium.

Are the older ships in the fleet less profitable because of their design or because they aren't the newer ships that can demand higher per diems? Because when they were new, they too were making more money than the older ships in the fleet. I get the fact that the larger the ship, the less it costs to operate it and therefore better for the bottom line. But the good old Grand Class design must be fairly cost effective since there are so many of them. And as the expert pointed out, Royal and Regal - except for those differences we all know so well - have pretty much the same platform.

The problem with Princess and these new ships is that - as you say - They. Make. Money. And ship design and cruise lines are all managed by the bottom line. While that may be the way it is, that doesn't mean we have to swallow it graciously.

But bluntly, they have even more ways to part you from your money. The Sanctuary costs more, the thermal suite is bigger (and costs more) the Sanctuary has cabanas, they have more for fee dining options, etc. Add that to more first time pax (and as I noted, favorable itineraries) and that equals more money, even without a new ship premium.

Exactly - that's what I said about the new design when Royal was being built...and my opinion was dismissed. When did accountants become marine architects? I'm sure the new ships are lovely and those who like them are welcome to them. But besides the - again - well discussed shortcomings of the ship design, I think what really turns me off about these ships is the obvious use of them as money grabbers.

Edited by bdjam

One thing to remember is that Princess is a business... Princess has to maximize profits and that's done by building bigger ships (more cabins, more revenue, more people onboard, more revenue).

Unless everyone wants to pay substantially more for each cruise you take (and I really don't want to) get used to it. If you don't like it, you can take your business elsewhere. In about 10 years, the Grand class will be close to extinction. You can choose to adapt or find other, much more expensive cruise lines, or just enjoy the great fortune to be able to cruise.

That's the model that works though with the larger cruising audience.

Princess' job is not to make its passengers happy. It's to make money for the shareholders by making passengers as happy as possible. Those are very different things.

Exactly - that's what I said about the new design when Royal was being built...and my opinion was dismissed. When did accountants become marine architects? I'm sure the new ships are lovely and those who like them are welcome to them. But besides the - again - well discussed shortcomings of the ship design, I think what really turns me off about these ships is the obvious use of them as money grabbers.

In about 10 years, the Grand class will be close to extinction. You can choose to adapt or find other, much more expensive cruise lines, or just enjoy the great fortune to be able to cruise.

Wrong. It will be chugging around the South Pacific and Land of Oz with remaining useful life of several years to go. :D

I don't buy into the put up or shut up attitude either. If we did nothing, question nothing, expressed nothing, then would things ever change, adapt, evolve etc and we would just swallow anything without offering an opinion. Are we zombies yet?

For all we know Princess could have already committed to three builds before they got the feedback from cruisers that they didn't like some of the features on the Royal Princess.

Edited by icat2000

One thing to remember is that Princess is a business... Princess has to maximize profits and that's done by building bigger ships (more cabins, more revenue, more people onboard, more revenue).

Unless everyone wants to pay substantially more for each cruise you take (and I really don't want to) get used to it. If you don't like it, you can take your business elsewhere. In about 10 years, the Grand class will be close to extinction. You can choose to adapt or find other, much more expensive cruise lines, or just enjoy the great fortune to be able to cruise.

If your crystal ball is working so well, I guess there's nothing left for us to do but agree with you. What will be the ship of the future is the ship the market demands. If bigger ships bring in the passengers, then bigger ships it will be. However, there is a certain grumbling, a dissatisfaction with the direction Princess is going--bigger and bigger--and that grumbling could be the catalyst for change. Perhaps Princess will pull back from the Royal class and build something different. Smaller? Maybe. Will these necessarily be more expensive to sail? I don't know, but if the large ships begin to lose revenue and the smaller ones generate more, then the market will find the right price. "Like it or lump it" doesn't sound like the only option to me.

But bluntly, they have even more ways to part you from your money. The Sanctuary costs more

The Sanctuary costs the same on all Princess's ships that have one. The Royal/Regal will make more $$ because they have more lounges in the Sanctuary.

On the CCL Corp phone conference with stock analysts they said that the Royal/Regal have the lowest fuel costs per passenger. They also said that having so many balconies (and no oceanview) means overall higher pricing for cabins on these ships.

On the CCL Corp phone conference with stock analysts they said that the Royal/Regal have the lowest fuel costs per passenger.

That strategy won't drive up market share unless they seek to drive market share with lower pricing. I know that the Carnival brand has done for decades. Maybe that's where they are taking Princess, which they view as Carnival, but for slightly more refined older folks.

That's what I was implying about the sanctuary, sorry for not being specific.

The Sanctuary costs the same on all Princess's ships that have one. The Royal/Regal will make more $$ because they have more lounges in the Sanctuary.

On the CCL Corp phone conference with stock analysts they said that the Royal/Regal have the lowest fuel costs per passenger. They also said that having so many balconies (and no oceanview) means overall higher pricing for cabins on these ships.

As long as they can continue to sell them. We always used to book balconies but went back to OV cabins for the past 10 or 15 cruises. Now we're either forced inside or have to pay extra for the mini balcony. I'm not happy either way.

Wrong. It will be chugging around the South Pacific and Land of Oz with remaining useful life of several years to go. :D

I don't buy into the put up or shut up attitude either. If we did nothing, question nothing, expressed nothing, then would things ever change, adapt, evolve etc and we would just swallow anything without offering an opinion. Are we zombies yet?

For all we know Princess could have already committed to three builds before they got the feedback from cruisers that they didn't like some of the features on the Royal Princess.

Sarah;

You might be right unfortunetely. It would be nice for Princess' down under cruisers, who stay close to home, to get a new build.....:)

Sad but true.....:(:(:(

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Sarah;

You might be right unfortunetely. It would be nice for Princess' down under cruisers, who stay close to home, to get a new build.....:)

Bob

Bob, I laughed out loud at this response to Sarah.

The first thing that came to my mind was - all we can do is to keep trying to give these ships away to our friends Down Under.:D:D

I don't think it's as cut and dry as you'd like to think. While you're right Princess is a business, they will be out of business if their business doesn't attract customers. I don't know that the cruising public is as stupid as you might postulate. As you say, people are fortunate to be able to cruise...they aren't going to pump money into ships that provide the biggest revenue without getting something back for their money. If that wasn't the case, the days of no frills, all exclusive cruising would be here to stay. And if it wasn't the case that Princess was cognizant of it's passengers desires, there wouldn't have been the changes - albeit minor - that were made to Regal Princess after Royal Princess' came online.

Bad ship design is bad ship design. It's got nothing to do with paying substantially more for a cruise nor a choice between adapting and finding another cruise line. But while we're at it, I would gladly pay more to see Princess drag itself out of the mass market.

Princess' job is not to make its passengers happy. It's to make money for the shareholders by making passengers as happy as possible. Those are very different things.

Hence the demise of the quality product that used to come from publicly traded companies. You can bet that Jan Schwartz's bonus is behind those shareholder money making decisions. But again, if the decisions are bad enough, neither of the objectives will have been reached.

Personally I don't think the Royal sisters will ruin Princess - but I do think it a shame that the cruise line would put out a product that so obviously seeks to make onboard revenue.

Edited by bdjam

Bob, I laughed out loud at this response to Sarah.

The first thing that came to my mind was - all we can do is to keep trying to give these ships away to our friends Down Under.:D:D

Its good to know that we are loved.

I think they might a little bit too big for some of the port stops here except for the major ones. But I think they would be able to sell the cabins at good prices (cause we pay high prices at times for the old girls), cruising is really on the increase here. And of course there is the Asia market and the chinese love the bling bling from what I saw from my last trip to China in May. All the neon lights OMG. Its like they tearing down all their unqiue culture things and making it all modern. A bit like Singapore did in the 80s and early 90s.

RCCL has been doing it longer than Princess and as noted, they are performing better at least on a share price increase basis (certainly there are other factors).

CCL certainly has noticed, and to be fair they could have gone MUCH further with 'revenue enhancement'.

Personally I don't think the Royal sisters will ruin Princess - but I do think it a shame that the cruise line would put out a product that so obviously seeks to make onboard revenue.