ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

So people who choose to donate to causes that they feel close to without dumping a bucket of ice and/or water on themselves are uncaring?

Wow. Good to know.

I'm sorry, but I have limited funds for donations, and those will go to causes that affect those people close to me. Not what someone has challenged me to do for something that while yes, is terrible, doesn't impact those close to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No that isn't what I said. Don't twist and manipulate people's words please.

The language, words used and tone of the post appeared very uncaring and disrespectful in my opinion.

The language, words used and tone of the post appeared very uncaring and disrespectful in my opinion.

I should have quoted your response to the person who said "just donate money" instead. My error.

But your sentiment was the same.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/08/12/icebucketchallenge_you_don_t_need_an_ice_bucket_to_donate_to_als_research.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-kosinski/icebucketchallenge-why-yo_b_5656649.html

Just some interesting info. Bottom line, donate to a cause you believe in and do not let anyone else tell you how to do it or to who.

Edited by akcruz

So people who choose to donate to causes that they feel close to without dumping a bucket of ice and/or water on themselves are uncaring?

Wow. Good to know.

I'm sorry, but I have limited funds for donations, and those will go to causes that affect those people close to me. Not what someone has challenged me to do for something that while yes, is terrible, doesn't impact those close to me.

Agreed.

It seems like today that every store you go in is supporting some cause. Yes all these causes are worthwhile and the money is definitely needed by these organizations however one would go broke quickly if they donated to everything that they were asked to make a contribution to.

As you said any of us are personally affected by something or are close to someone that is, so we choose to donate to that particular charity and not to others.

While I recognize the need for donations I do feel that it has gotten a bit too competitive in the past years and unfortunately it makes some uncomfortable in having to say no repeatedly.

Well, you're judging someone, like so many people do, on the internet. You couldn't be more wrong about me, but it doesn't bother me one bit. You know what they say about opinions!

I have a cousin in the US who did the challenge, posted the video on FB and donated.... harmless fun to raise awareness of charitable organisations that can benefit from financial support. I see no harm in that at all.

Actually you are supposed to donate 10 bucks if you take the challenge and 100 if you don't. Just like with everything people need to learn the whole story or reasoning behind things before jumping to conclusions. JMHO.

The numbers have proved it's not stupid.

If you don't want to participate, don't.

But don't bring down those who do.

Even the guy to inspired the challenge (Pete Frates), took the challenge, so there.

See his story in this ESPN feature:

Edited by m*u*g*

The numbers have proved it's not stupid.

If you don't want to participate, don't.

But don't bring down those who do.

Even the guy to inspired the challenge (Pete Frates), took the challenge, so there.

See his story in this ESPN feature:

Pete Frates is not only a BC Eagle, he is an SJP Eagle. As the mother of a Prep alumnus, It is a great day to be an eagle!

From the ALS website:

As of Thursday, August 21, The ALS Association has received $41.8 million in donations compared to $2.1 million during the same time period last year (July 29 to August 21). These donations have come from existing donors and 739,275 new donors to The Association.

One thing I'm curious about now with everyone so impressed about the amount that has been raised for ALS is how many people are still donating to the causes they usually do and how many said since they donated to this they're taking that much away from their other donations? If they're taking this out of the total they usually give to other organizations, then that is millions that won't be raised by them. I'd be willing to bet we see donations to other organizations drop as a result. This would be great if everyone would pick a charity or two and donate and not have to be goaded or challenged into doing so.

One thing I'm curious about now with everyone so impressed about the amount that has been raised for ALS is how many people are still donating to the causes they usually do and how many said since they donated to this they're taking that much away from their other donations? If they're taking this out of the total they usually give to other organizations, then that is millions that won't be raised by them. I'd be willing to bet we see donations to other organizations drop as a result. This would be great if everyone would pick a charity or two and donate and not have to be goaded or challenged into doing so.

At work we have a United Way campaign whereby we all choose an amount (if we want) and donate each month out of our salaries. We also have lots of different charities we support during the year, we have jeans days where we can pay $5 and wear jeans for a day...we are a very large accounting firm and this is a treat. All of us donate something along the way. Charities that people have been supporting for years are not going to lose donations because of an ice bucket challenge. Good on the originator for coming up with something fun that everyone can do and participate in and feel good about. The other charities all have their fun things.

Everyone is too serious. Take it as fun and enjoy the fad. It will pass...but be sure that there will be another charity next year coming up with something that is interesting and engaging and get people motivated. In the meantime be pleased that they have raized a huge amount of money to bring awareness to a terrible disease

[quote name='BND']So, they've raised $5.5 million with this campaign. How much of that will go to actual research? Next year, unless they come up with another stunt, it's not likely to increase their donations. Something like the breast cancer walks accomplish a lot more, including the actual raising of funds by those actually walking. It's not really the same thing.

I don't know anyone who has never heard of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease).

I honestly think people will think that others will think they're generous, charitable, etc because they do the challenge. I'm more impressed by someone who just donates anonymously and humbly.[/quote]

stop complaining about what others do and get your checkbook out...

[quote name='mcatmcat']Has Royal Caribbean been nominated for the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge?
Carnival already did it lol[ATTACH]322320[/ATTACH]

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/quote]

Nice challenge OP but isn't that a picture of the crew from Triumph showering back in February of 2013? :confused::D

[quote name='BND']So, they've raised $5.5 million with this campaign. How much of that will go to actual research? Next year, unless they come up with another stunt, it's not likely to increase their donations. Something like the breast cancer walks accomplish a lot more, including the actual raising of funds by those actually walking. It's not really the same thing.

I don't know anyone who has never heard of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease).

I honestly think people will think that others will think they're generous, charitable, etc because they do the challenge. I'm more impressed by someone who just donates anonymously and humbly.[/QUOTE]
I read only 7% of donations to ALSA go to research. Edited by tabbi_cakes

[quote name='tabbi_cakes']Ok. 27% goes to research and 19% goes to current patients. Not as bad as I thought.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious - where does the rest go to?

I'm just thinking - every business has fixed costs. Is that what the difference is? Not being argumentative, but if those costs don't change, then I would think (hope) that a huge windfall such as this is would be more weighted towards research and current patients. A $5M budget (I don't know how much they made last year) is a lot different than the $20M or $40M they'll have this year. Edited by Alter Ego

[quote name='Alter Ego']I'm curious - where does the rest go to?

I'm just thinking - every business has fixed costs. Is that what the difference is? Not being argumentative, but if those costs don't change, then I would think (hope) that a huge windfall such as this is would be more weighted towards research and current patients. A $5M budget (I don't know how much they made last year) is a lot different than the $20M or $40M they'll have this year.[/QUOTE]

32% to public and professional education and 14% to fundraising expenses. Very comparable to other health based charities.

It boggles the mind that there are a number of people posting here spewing so much negativity. This is a fell good story/event that is raising awareness and money for a horrible disease. Please don't ruin it for those who are having fun with it and donating money, find some nitpicking issue to complain about. Edited by Oville