New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

4 minutes ago, Mimie03 said:

I’m assuming that with the have it all package that they give you the basic Wi-Fi. Can you upgrade once on board to the premium package? And if so, does anyone have an idea of how much that would be?

Correct the wifi w/the regular HIA is not premium. It was $50 to upgrade on a recent 14 day cruise; at day 7, that dropped to $40 and on day 4 it was $20. Those prices are 1 person, single device.

There is a "beefier" HIA package that includes grats and premium wifi, so you would need to verify which HIA package you have.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Haljo1935 said:

Correct the wifi w/the regular HIA is not premium. It was $50 to upgrade on a recent 14 day cruise; at day 7, that dropped to $40 and on day 4 it was $20. Those prices are 1 person, single device.

There is a "beefier" HIA package that includes grats and premium wifi, so you would need to verify which HIA package you have.

I’m pretty sure I got the basic. It included drinks, one excursion, one specialty dining, wifi and that’s it. it doesn’t include gratuities. We only need it for one person so I guess I’ll upgrade once I get on board. Because it’s Christmas I’m darned if I’m not gonna talk to my kids or my best friend. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mimie03 said:

I’m assuming that with the have it all package that they give you the basic Wi-Fi. Can you upgrade once on board to the premium package? And if so, does anyone have an idea of how much that would be?

On the Koningsdam last month the upgrade cost $40 total for the 7 day cruise. We had the HIA with basic surf Wi-Fi. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, World By Boat said:

Next question - what is your opinion of the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion that launches from the ship? We are traveling in the first week of June and hope it will not be too crowded (over overbooked).

I cannot speak from personal experience as we ended up electing to not take this excursion in 2022 after doing some research.  The deciding factor for us were folks saying that most of the time was spent getting to the pier after the relatively short excursion up Tracy Arm. 

It was never made clear but a week or two before we embarked from Vancouver, HAL issued an email saying this excursion was no longer offered for our sailing. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, World By Boat said:

Next question - what is your opinion of the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion that launches from the ship? We are traveling in the first week of June and hope it will not be too crowded (over overbooked).

I booked the 7-day on the Volendam one year for the express purpose of taking this tour, and am so glad I did. 

I had previously been up Tracy Arm on the cruise ship a couple of times, once getting some distance from South Sawyer Glacier, and the other time barely getting within sight of North Sawyer Glacier. 
On the catamaran, we got right up close to North Sawyer Glacier, and it was a grand sight. There was a small motor boat quite a bit closer, so we were able to get a good perspective. Seeing Tracy Arm itself, and the glacier from the lower perspective was very different from seeing it from the cruise ship. 

I wouldn't be worried about the boat being too crowded, since the number of people on a shore excursion is limited. The catamaran rides smoothly, has heated inside cabin as well as outdoor space. There is a little coffee bar where you can get something to eat or drink. As I recall, there were also free donuts! 

Do remember that the bulk of the excursion is in Tracy Arm itself, which is green scenery, with a glacier at the end. It is not like visiting Glacier Bay or College Fjord where it is glaciers, and some scenery on the side. 

• Thanks 1

IMHO Tracy Arm is ALWAYS a highlight of any Alaskan cruise.  We have been down the 'arm' many times.  WHEN (what month) you cruise the arm & the weather will determine how far up the arm your ship can go.  May - not so far - too many little bergs.  August - all the way to Sawyer Glacier.  Even on the big ship, at certain points, you feel like you open your arms & can touch both sides of the fjord.  So beautiful!

We have not taken that tour but it does sound very nice.  However, if you are going to Hubbard Glacier, or Glacier Bay, or even the tours to Columbia glacier in Valdez, or even Juneau's glacier, .......

So much to see.  But hey, it's Alaska,   We're sure you will enjoy no matter what you choose.

Best wishes.

• Thanks 1

Is Holland America's Orange Night a deck party? 

When during a cruise could I expect that night?

I'm booked on a 22 day San Diego to Vancouver via Hawaii cruise and want to buy something orange that would be weather appropriate.

14 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Is Holland America's Orange Night a deck party? 

When during a cruise could I expect that night?

I'm booked on a 22 day San Diego to Vancouver via Hawaii cruise and want to buy something orange that would be weather appropriate.

The HAL Orange Party is held indoors and starts around 9:00 PM while the ship is enroute to the next port.  It is also not held on a Gala Night.  Each ship determines what night the party will be held.

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2024 at 12:43 PM, Crew News said:

The HAL Orange Party is held indoors and starts around 9:00 PM while the ship is enroute to the next port.  It is also not held on a Gala Night.  Each ship determines what night the party will be held.

For those who have experienced the Orange Party, what would be considered funky, humorous, but respectful dress for the party?

52 minutes ago, DrJamba said:

For those who have experienced the Orange Party, what would be considered funky, humorous, but respectful dress for the party?

Oh, gosh, nothing!!  I have seen orange wigs (think of clown wigs), people coming in their life jackets - the whole gamut from dressy orange to hilarious costumes.  It is an orange party all the way!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJamba said:

My favorite was a giant orange fish-shaped hat that brought a lot of comments.  A few orange sport jackets, lots of orange shirts, some orange lipstick, orange fingernails, orange wigs, orange socks, etc.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ski ww said:

The gift shop also sells a lot of orange  things the day of if you don't have anything orange yourself.

Small sampling of what they had this week on the K'dam20240102_220745.thumb.jpg.20d10f4766a03a3f106131c4e3762530.jpg

We just booked for August 2025 for Alaska. When do they open up the excusrions? This is by far and away the earliest ive ever booked any kind of vacation, cruise included, so this is uncharted territory for me. 

2 hours ago, Gr101997 said:

We just booked for August 2025 for Alaska. When do they open up the excusrions? This is by far and away the earliest ive ever booked any kind of vacation, cruise included, so this is uncharted territory for me. 

I noticed excursions were available about 13 months before our cruise, which was much earlier than I expected so it was just pure luck I bothered to check. Not sure when they were actually available. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gr101997 said:

It depends on when they get it lined up and even after they publish some excursions others may continue to popup until sailing day.  For my upcoming Alaska trip I decided what I wanted and booked through HAL or others as availability presented. I have also cancelled some to buy others.  Ever since the Covid lockdowns many business channels have been disrupted 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It depends on when they get it lined up and even after they publish some excursions others may continue to popup until sailing day.  For my upcoming Alaska trip I decided what I wanted and booked through HAL or others as availability presented. I have also cancelled some to buy others.  Ever since the Covid lockdowns many business channels have been disrupted 

And for seasonal ports like AK, excursions may not be available as early as other places. They also may post excursions thinking there's a high likelihood of them happening, but as operators lock in their staff, they may get canceled. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KeyLimeKayak said:

Where is the library located on most HAL ships? Sailing Nieuw Statendam this spring and heard one was added but it doesn't appear on deck maps.

Probably different locations on different ships.

Here's a recent thread with pictures of the library on Nieuw Statendam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you look at the deck plan for the Nieuw Statendam you will see on Deck 2 opposite the forward most elevators you will see an unlabeled room just past the Rolling Stone Rock Room. That is the new, and wonderful library. 

• Like 1