Secrets of the Antarctic - for past cruisers...

trixiee

Looking very seriously at booking the Dec 22 South America/Antarctic cruise.

A few questions:

What was your most memorable moment on this cruise?

What are the "must do" excursions?

What booking "strategies" would you advise? The ship looks to be about 50% sold... Should we wait until after final booking?

Should we be uber concerned about cabin location - I.e, mid-ship? (A little worried about the "drake shake" )

Any words of advise would be appreciated!

We are going on January 11.

The crossing of the Drake Passage could be quite rough. If you are sensitive to motion, I'd try to find a cabin in the middle of the ship, and fairly low.

Enjoy your cruise.

Charles

By all means, go!

There were several most memorable moments on the cruise for me. One was sitting in the hot tub on the aft deck in Antarctica. That fulfilled a fantasy for me. But, seeing the pristine nature of Antarctica filled me with wonder. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking.

As for excursions, that is an individual choice as to what is a must do. The one most talked about was the trip out to Volunteer Point in the Falklands, if you are lucky enough to land there. I would suggest joining the Roll Call for the cruise and see what others are planning. On ours, a group got together and booked some private excursions in several ports together and really enjoyed them. We also got together in Buenos Aires for a tango show before the cruise.

I would not wait till after final booking. On our cruise, in 2011, there were people on a waiting list to get on. We booked in April and they only had guarantees in the cabin category we wanted, so we took it and ended up with an aft balcony. We were also lucky to have Drake's Lake instead of the shake on the way down, although it was a bit rough on the way back, but not bad.

I would do this cruise again in a heartbeat. My sister and I are planning it for her retirement.

Deb

Do not wait until after final payment to book if there is any uncertainty about getting your flights. We tried that for a different itinerary BA to Val without the Antarctic and we could only get one flight and it cost $5K! We didn't go that year but went the following year (and booked the flights on points).

IMO, if the cruise is something that you want to do, and is already 50% sold, then book now and get your flights right away (assuming you're booking your own flights). Of course, get insurance just in case.

So, it depends on your comfort level with the risk. By booking now, you know you're going and you can watch for price drops until final payment. If you wait until after final payment, you may get a lower fare but you may also pay more in airfare or not get the flights you want.

We did a South Amer. cruise in 2003 & last year Round trip Antarctica from FTL..We joined our roll call & took many private excursions which were booked by others on the roll call.. We spent our days in the crows nest while going through the Antarctic.. Must get up there very early to snag chairs by the windows.. It was awesome, especially when seeing the wildlife ..

We've been thru the Drake passage three times & every time it was very smooth.. However have heard it can be very rough too..

We too had a wonderful time in the Falklands (twice) walking among the penguins..

On the Prinsendam we had a midship cabin on Main deck close to the elevators..

Loved every minute of our cruises except when DH & I (both of us) became ill & were confined to quarters for two days by the Dr...LOL

I wouldn't wait to book especially a Holiday cruise..Doubt if the price will ever go down & agree with others your flights could be at a premium.. We don't have to fly so that's a plus for us....

Edited by serendipity1499

There is nothing like waking up at 02:00 looking out and seeing

the sun shine on the tall snowclad mountains of Antaractica.

It turely is a trip of a lifetime. I second the Falkland Island tour.

We loved this cruise so much, that we return to Antaractic

this time by a small ship so that we could put ashore.

It is a magical place.

Looking very seriously at booking the Dec 22 South America/Antarctic cruise.

A few questions:

What was your most memorable moment on this cruise?

What are the "must do" excursions?

What booking "strategies" would you advise? The ship looks to be about 50% sold... Should we wait until after final booking?

Should we be uber concerned about cabin location - I.e, mid-ship? (A little worried about the "drake shake" )

Any words of advise would be appreciated!

We did this cruise this past year. It was great.

Most memorable moment was probably Volunteer Point in the Falklands. We arranged a private excursion with Estancia Excursions. HAL didn't put the Falklands officially on the itinerary until 5 days before sailing. They put Volunteer Point on the excursion list, for about twice what we were paying with Estancia. The excursion was posted on the Saturday before sailing and by the time we boarded the ship on the following Wednesday, they had sold out. There were a lot of unhappy cruisers. Book early with a private tour.

I was torn about whether to book before final payment. In the end, I did. We were a party of 4 and there aren't a lot of cabins that sleep 4. Prices did go down. But the biggest reason I would have rather waited was that they chopped 4 days from the beginning of the cruise and resold it as a 4 day and a 17 day instead of the 21 day that I purchased. If we'd sailed on the 17 day, my kids wouldn't have had to miss school. :o

I did let my HAL vacation planner know that I was open to a paid upgrade, a couple of times, LOL. About 2-3 weeks before sailing, I got the email, and upgraded from an oceanview to a Neptune suite, for about 50% more than I paid for the oceanview.

Seas were not too bad, but I still got very seasick. Take your seasick meds preemptively. We were high up and midship.

One of the best parts of the cruise, and something they don't advertise at all, are the lectures - there were about 30 of them and they were excellent, a don't miss.

It was probably my favorite cruise of them all. I wish I were going again.

Go! I would do it again in a heartbeat. If you book now you have lots of time to savor the trip. Am trying to post a link to a short video I shot in January 2013.

http://www.smugmug.com/. Oops. Better luck next time. Something's were not meant to be done by iphone!

Try #2:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/38259819_MBdfZR/3160626357_q9JhZ9z

Edited by TiogaCruiser

I agree with much that's been said. We booked many months in advance for an OV cabin midships on Main Deck and were very happy with it. What can compare with seeing penguins and seals float by on icebergs at eye level?? We could go out our door, up the nearby stairs quickly to the promenade deck.

We spent much of our time on the promenade deck and open bow during the three days in Antarctica. Prime spots in Crows Nest were taken early and we preferred to be out and about in any case. Wonderfully sunny, but still cold. Take layers with windproof on top, hat and gloves. Sunscreen is a must. Long, long daylight hours when we hated to go back inside the ship. It was truly an emotional, spiritual experience for me - so much beauty, and feeling truly "at the end of the world".

Drake passage was a little rocky returning to SA, but that's what my husband, the sailor, wanted to experience!

We were on the same cruise as dfish, above, and really enjoyed getting to know the people on our roll call, sharing private excursions, etc. The onboard speakers were fantastic. I, too, would go back in a minute.

There is nothing like waking up at 02:00 looking out and seeing

the sun shine on the tall snowclad mountains of Antaractica.

It turely is a trip of a lifetime. I second the Falkland Island tour.

We loved this cruise so much, that we return to Antaractic

this time by a small ship so that we could put ashore.

It is a magical place.

Completely agree & envy you going back on a small ship, but DH no longer wants to fly!

IThe onboard speakers were fantastic. I, too, would go back in a minute.

I also would love to do it again.. We've had so many exciting & wonderful cruises !

Ditto, don't wait. Also, I, too, worried about rough seas (and we did have some) so were very happy with mid-ship, ocean view cabin. Loved it.

Otway Sound Penguins was wonderful. (Punta Arenas). Very nice location to photo/view penguins in an interesting habitat. We did the ship tour.

http://quiltingjan.smugmug.com/Travel/2012/Penguins/Penguins

In the Falklands, we were lucky to have a PERFECT day! We took a ship's tour to see the penguins (Bluff Cove in Range Rovers) that was plenty of rough terrain for me. Again, lovely, up close, penguins.

As for Antarctica, it blew me away. All 4 days were different! The vistas are incredible. You will want to be out and about, so having an inside or ocean view room is not a problem. Weather was everything from needing hat,gloves, etc. to OK with just a fleece. It all depended on how sheltered you were.

http://quiltingjan.smugmug.com/Travel/2012/Antarctica/2012-Cruise-to-Antarctica/

It was our very favorite cruise! Book it now! ;-)

PS: Consider adding on a trip (2-days on your own) to Iguazu Falls…another highlight of this trip in our opinion. We did it on our own. (Flew from Buenos Aires to Iguazu, spent two nights there, then flew back to BA and then home.)

Had the pleasure of doing the Grand So America / Antartica cruise and most of it was awesome. Our favorite memory was sitting at lunch in the Prinsedam dining room, which is on the Promenade deck, and a little ice berg was floating by not 5 feet from the ship with about 10 penguins on it in various poses. Grabbed our cameras and hit the deck. You could almost reach out and touch the penguins, who were squacking and flapping as if to say hello. But then there were the sea lions and thousands of penguins surrounding the ship. Whales decided to breach and flap tails for us also. It was so helpful to have the naturalists on board making announcements like, 'on the port side at 11 o'clock, we have a pod of whales breaching' - was surprised the ship did not capsize as everyone ran to the port side.

Our favorite tour was the Best of Buenos Aires, as we had a wonderful tour guide who told fantastic stories and seemed to be honest about the good and bad of the city, its life and its politics.

We were amazingly lucky that the seas were like glass, including crossing Drake's passage - even the captain said he was surprised at the calm. Do admit it is hit or miss on choppiness. Overall ,the lower decks tend to have less 'rock and roll' and so do cabins located mid-ship. The Prinsedam has a different hull shape and is calmer all around.

Airfare can be difficult (and expensive) if you wait too long and if you book through a TA and the HAL fares drop after booking, you may be able to get the lower fare. Have a wonderful trip!

Edited by take us away

I was on the Amsterdam, 21-day SA/Antarctica cruise over Christmas/New Year in '04/'05.

Spent 4 days pre-cruise in Rio to 'see the sights' (now regret not going a few days earlier and doing Iguassu Falls).

Everything about the entire cruise was fantastic - the ship, my table mates, others I met, the weather (mostly) and the port excursions I did on my own. The scenery in Antarctica makes Alaska pale in comparison.

Most memorable moments:

- Christmas morning in Antarctica with idyllic weather - flat calm, sunshine and blue sky. It was almost surreal.

- At Puerto Mont, the one, ship-booked tour I did - zip lining on Mt. Osorno.

We have been twice.

Definitely join the rollcall for the trip.

Everyone talked about Falkland Islands and yes it's great for Penguin watching and walking around town is cool too.

I loved Ushuaia Argentina. It's a cute little town and just great to walk around and they have some amazing shops.. If you end up going you must get a hot chocolate at the chocolate shop.

The first time we went to Antarctic the weather could not have been better. The ocean was glass and every single sea creator came out to say hi. We saw pods and pods of sharks, dolphins, even whales, of course penguins and seals. Just spectacular. We got photos of so many icebergs in all shapes and sizes. The next year we went, it was foggy and miserable and we didn't see anything at all! And I mean nothing. Thank God we got into Ft Stanley since so many could not because of the rough seas, otherwise that part of the trip would have been a bust.

Yes, a room in the middle of the ship on a lower floor is the best for seasickness, but my best advice is to become friends with people who have balcony rooms on either side of the ship, so that you can visit with them when their side is best.

I didn't enjoy the Crows nest as much since you are so high up everything looks so small, and there are so many people.

If you really want to go.. GO! It's way beyond Alaska.. (as much as Alaska is beautiful, if you get clear days it will be some of the best memories you will ever have.)

We are on the Jan 30 sailing- and yes I will sign up for the roll call soon. I am so glad that this topic was started because I do have questions.

I know most people say you should just get away but I like to stay in touch with kids and grand kids. Did anyone try to use the internet south of Ushuaia? I suspect we will go days with no connection but I am just curious.

Is there anything that you wish you had known before your trip? Anything that someone might not know to bring along?

We are thrilled to be booked on this adventure- thanks for your help!

Sue and Curt

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know most people say you should just get away but I like to stay in touch with kids and grand kids. Did anyone try to use the internet south of Ushuaia? I suspect we will go days with no connection but I am

Sue and Curt

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was pretty spotty at times and pretty much non-existent in Antarctica. Our grand daughter was born on this trip and it took 20 minutes to download a photo of her.

Regarding Internet, the one thing I would have done differently is to buy a smaller package. I bought 250 minutes- and had close to 90 unused.

I used Internet only on email and pick up from an account that was reserved for the trip ( so there would not be much there to suck up bandwidth). I was careful to make the pictures I sent small for the screen only. As 'Chief said. Connectivity was spotty- and I had lots if problems staying on, or being able to get on to a connection that went out. I had better results in the early morning or late at night (like midnight).

We did the 68 day Grand Tour in 2008 - there are three forward outside decks directly under the bridge - I always took the top one immediately under the bridge window for the best audio/video recordings during the sometimes violent pitching and rolling through the Drake passage .... the icy wind would cut your face and eyes would water and working the camera required removal of gloves for a few seconds at a time, before I would retreat behind the glass to escape the cold wind, then go back out for more...

Even so, I can honestly say this was the most exciting experience at sea I have ever had, with the possible exception of the 40 degree rolls during a typhoon in the South China Sea in 1958 courtesy of the Government (read United States Navy)!!

Antarctica, steeped with the lore of Ernest Shackleton, and his crew of the Endurance - is a truly remarkable and unforgettable journey.

Agree with tochan posting. One of best places to take pictures is the deck below the bridge, but get there early! Also - if your cruise is a ship with open decks at the back, the deck below the Lido is often empty and another great spot to take pictures. Enjoy an amazing cruise!