Elite Laundry Change?

Av8tor

I know that Elites have to pay extra for same day laundry service, but in the past the norm has been that next-day service is free. We just got off the Grand last week for the 10-day Mexico cruise, where we received this card in our cabin on the first day: (see attachment)

The 72 hour turn was also in effect for the 15-day YVR to Hawaii cruise that ended 3 days before our cruise.

Our laundry did, in fact, take the 3 days to be returned.

It’s bad enough that they make changes such as this, but what makes it worse is when they do so without any advance notice. Once you’ve packed your clothes and arrived on the ship is not the time to find out that the normal 1-day turn-around you’re used to has been extended by a factor of three!

Seems that Princess has a habit of making unannounced changes to their services and benefits (I remember the charge for Alfredo’s and the room service charge that was floated on Regal’s inaugural cruise) which can be somewhat upsetting to previous Princess cruisers that are used to the “standard” Princess product…

Has anybody else seen this particular erosion of Elite benefits on other ships?

EliteLaundry.jpg.900186b30b068b54e147d6be5d97370c.jpg

Yes. That was the case on our Royal T/A this year. It took 3-4 days to get back my laundry and the steward wouldn't pick up at night. Just in the morning. We received a "last call" notice five days before the end of the cruise. Thought it was just the Royal since we had so many problems last year.

From what I've read on Cruise Critic, delays like this happen on cruises with a large number of Elite passengers. In August, on the Caribbean Princess, I got half of my items back the next day and the other half two days after sending it out.

Thanks for this thread!

We've been lucky it seems and have always had our things back in one or two days.

Since our last Princess cruise was in January (2014 Crown Princess ... 14 days), it's good to be aware things seem to have changed since then.

Always better to know before you go! :D

LuLu

Lots of "nouveau Elite" these days. I'd guess that means more people using the laundry service and, possibly, more people abusing the laundry service. Probably not so much an "erosion" of Elite benefits by Princess but an "overburdening" of the existing system.

As mentioned in this tread this situation seems to show up when Princess has more than normal Elites onboard a particular sailing and this will only get worse the way Princess has set up their reward program. I am sure they are aware of the situation. However, in my opinion they could sent out an email say a couple of weeks before the sailing date to advise customers of possible delays and this would at least allow the customer to plan ahead.

We were in a suite on the Royal last Christmas and it took forever. I sent dh's tux shirt early the morning of the second formal and we got it back just in time to leave the cabin at 7pm. Everything else that we sent down was returned late the last night. I was packing and couldn't figure out why the suitcases were almost empty - then the steward came with it.

We were the Royal again a couple months later. It still took a long time but this time we were missing items. Wouldn't have noticed, but one item was my favorite dive t-shirt. Thank goodness they found the items. This holiday I will take a picture of the slip and also make notes. I still don't understand why we are not given a copy of what we send out.

I think it depends on the Cruise and how many Elites.

On our last 2 cruises TA & New York to Quebec this Sept/Oct, the TA part was 3 days turn around, where as the NY to Quebec was 1 day due to less Elites.

Forgot to say that this was on the Ruby.

Edited by magandy

On our last trip on the Grand there were 1400 elite and the turn around was 2/3 days

On the trips we have had since then on various ships the turn around has not been over 1 day except for the end of the cruise when it took 2 days

It is not Princess fault that they have a lot of elite customers it just goers to show that they are a great company to cruise with and we all come back for more.

I never had trouble with getting the steward to take the laundry whatever time of day it was prepared. Perhaps the steward who would not accept it other than at a certain time had his own agenda.:D:D

On our last trip on the Grand there were 1400 elite and the turn around was 2/3 days

On the trips we have had since then on various ships the turn around has not been over 1 day except for the end of the cruise when it took 2 days

It is not Princess fault that they have a lot of elite customers it just goers to show that they are a great company to cruise with and we all come back for more.

I never had trouble with getting the steward to take the laundry whatever time of day it was prepared. Perhaps the steward who would not accept it other than at a certain time had his own agenda.:D:D

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. It kind of is Princess fault there are more Elite. If they hadn't started offering one, two , three and 4 day cruises maybe the Elite pool might not be so big. Now if they went to sea days instead of number of cruises that might be a different story.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. It kind of is Princess fault there are more Elite. If they hadn't started offering one, two , three and 4 day cruises maybe the Elite pool might not be so big. Now if they went to sea days instead of number of cruises that might be a different story.
I agree. This is a problem of Princess' own creation. IMHO, the only fair way to achieve a level should be by cruise days. That levels the playing field for everyone.

While on Emerald 6 weeks ago, there was no problem with laundry service. I set the laundry bag for pick up in the evening before dinner and received all my laundry back within a day even though I requested 2 day service. With all weight and luggage restrictions from the airlines, I am guessing more people are utilizing the service and more often during a cruise.

Just off the Regal today. We were handed the laundry bag with a notice attached that stated the laundry would take up to 72 hours. We had 900 Elites on board and it did take 3 to 4 days to get laundry back. We are also advised that the cut off for sending out laundry was Oct 30 at 9am. Our cruise ended today 11/3.

I view this as a dilution of yet another Elite benefit caused by too many "45 day/15 cruises" Elites. :rolleyes:

We didn't receive a notice on the 17 day Regal, but we were very disgruntled to wait days for the return of our laundry. I complained to the Captain's Circle Hostess; she said that there's no guarantee the laundry will be returned the next day. I consider their wording clear that it is in fact "Next day service". Now, I guess they got tired of complaints and are simply saying it could take 3 days.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just like the ONE "mini bar set up" per cruise I think the "Elite laundry" is heading that way as well. Maybe not just one bag per cruise (like Celebrity) but maybe one bag per every X number days on the particular cruise. That will also open up the ability for Princess to offer additional free laundry allowance to a new higher loyalty level.

The writing is on the wall. Too many wanting to send everything to the laundry after only being worn once and too many wanting to be able to unpack their suitcases straight into the dresser at home. Oh and of course too many new Elites as well! No one thing to blame but the combination of several things.

JMHO of course.

Terry

I think one bag per day is very reasonable. On the Royal last year, my steward told me that some of his passengers were sending out 5-7 bags a day, every day, in a variety of sizes. It's unfortunate but a reality that a few will ruin it for everyone else.

Edited by Pam in CA