Small items for staff?

mak5

Where are most of the staff on the Enchantment from? When I travel I like to bring some small gifts from home to give to staff (don't worry, I do tip as well!) to show appreciation for making our trip special.

Does anyone have any ideas of things that the staff might like to have, and not be able to get at home? (We are from Canada)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cash. They don't have room to store anything. Or maybe a bottle of wine from a winery near you. Now you are allowed to bring it on and it won't take up any space in their room (assuming they drink it).

Edited by kathyemma

The staff has extremely small living areas. The best gift is cash for them. Could you imagine if everyone gave teddy bears or candles or etc to their room attendants. They usually get tossed out...

The best gift you could bring would be $$ and if u want give them Canadian dollars as a tip. They are colorful and can be exchanged for AmericAn $$

Or do dollar coins. Or just leave them a note daily giving them praises.

Just my 2 cents

Debbi

Sent from my LG-D851 using Forums mobile app

Where are most of the staff on the Enchantment from? When I travel I like to bring some small gifts from home to give to staff (don't worry, I do tip as well!) to show appreciation for making our trip special.

Does anyone have any ideas of things that the staff might like to have, and not be able to get at home? (We are from Canada)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Some ships have crew from 70 plus countries, cash is really what the crew desires and needs, not small gifts.

My sister-in-law's cabin attendant made the mistake of telling her about his two kids at home in the Philippines. She proceeded to go on a shopping spree in every port for clothes before my wife could intercede. She's got a big heart and it was her first cruise so she really didn't know any better.

I'm surprised the "pre-paid phone cards" haven't come up yet. The ultimate poor gift that always seems to surface in these threads. Though I did like the large teddy bear suggestion:D

Seriously though, one more suggestion for cash:)

Yeah no doubt! My understand is that one may be purchasing a phone card that is completely worthless to them. Give them cash and let THEM buy a phone card if they want to :)

If you still feel compelled to give an item on top of your tip, consider a candy bar or liquor. It will be consumed and not take up space. Or traded/given to a friend of theirs if they don't want it. This would be in addition to cash, not in lieu of.

As someone who works for tips, in my summer job, skip the little gift. It is more likely to be remembered as the but of a joke than anything. We work jobs that pay less than minimum wage because we can make up for it in tips, not teddy bears and lollipops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cash...then they can get what they want! Your heart is in the right place, but you don't work for "gifts", and neither do they!!! When you go to a hotel, do you bring "gifts" for the housekeeper, or the waiter in the restaurants? Of course not! Being on the ship is no different!

Edited by cb at sea

Thanks, I wasn't taking into consideration their tiny quarters. I'll keep it to something consumable, and cash!

Just stick to cash. Even consumables often likely end up in the trash. Just because you love chocolate, or homemade baked goods, or wine, or liquor or whatever, doesn't mean your recipient does. They may not like them, may have allergies or religious restrictions on diet, etc. Yes, yes, it's the thought that counts, but if that's true why not make it easier on you AND them and just give cash. Or more cash. :)

I give See's Lollipops. I sneak them onto their cart when they can't see. On our last cruise, our cabin steward thanked me for it. Apparently, we left the drawer w/ the lollipops open when we left our room.

Of course he did, because he didn't want to seem rude and risk not getting a cash tip at the end of the cruise. I mean, have you ever received a gift you didn't want or couldn't use? Everyone has, and I'll bet you thanked the giver in order to be polite. And them promptly threw the item away, donated it, regifted it, or shoved it in a closet for a few years until you finally threw it away, donated it or regifted it, LOL.

For anyone who truly feels compelled to give something above and beyond cash, the most appreciated thing is a letter to the cruise line mentioning the crew member by name, and/or mentioning them by name on end-of-cruise guest satisfaction survey. Rumor has it that these are the kinds of things that can lead to the crew member possibly getting a few extra hours off duty, which is something they value highly, given their typical work schedule.