Debark or Disembark?

Corfe Mixture

A serious question on American English as opposed to Commonwealth English and I stress not an attempt to say that one version is right and the other is wrong. I simply want to make sure, that when talking to folks from North America, I don’t use words which, like ‘lift’ and ‘pavement’ will mean something completely different to the other person.

In Commonwealth English we have both the intransitive verb ‘disembark’ and the transitive verb ‘debark’, though common usage has it that Commonwealth English speaking people frequently use disembark in a transitive sense and rarely use debark.

In contrast, I notice that North American contributors to these boards tend to use debark as both a transitive and an intransitive verb and rarely use disembark.

My question is: is the verb disembark ever used in American English, or is it simply a case that common usage has it that American English speaking people generally use debark in an intransitive sense, rarely use disembark, but still recognise the word?

:confused:

For clarification, my understanding of the difference between transitive and intransitive is that:

A transitive verb has two characteristics. First, it is an action verb, expressing a doable activity and second it will have a direct object receiving the action, meaning that ‘the ship debarked / disembarked passengers / cargo’ is transitive.

whereas

An intransitive verb whilst also an action verb, expressing a doable activity, does not have a direct object receiving the action, meaning that ‘the ship’s passengers debarked / disembarked’ is intransitive.

If you think my question is confusing try explaining it to a Frenchman. He won’t understand it all as the French language doesn’t have intransitive verbs and all sentences must have an object, with the result that that they have to say ‘the ship’s passengers debarked / disembarked themselves’ as the sentence ‘the ship’s passengers debarked / disembarked’ would appear to them to be incomplete and would leave the listener waiting to be told what they debarked / disembarked. :(

After all this time what difference does it really make. Oops sorry wrong discussion. Or is it?

It might make a lot of difference if disembark, which I had not seen used by North Americans, has a completely different meaning in North American English, hence my question.

Many words are used differently between Commonwealth English and North American English and not being aware of the different usage can cause real problems.

For example:

Commonwealth English speakers walk on the pavement because they don't want to be killed.

North American English speakers walk on the pavement only if they have a death wish.

Edited by Corfe Mixture
  • Haha 1

I use "disembark" and "disembarkation." Sample sentences:

What time do you think we'll be able to disembark?

The disembarkation went smoothly on our last cruise.

If someone said "debark" or "debarkation," I would not consider it an error.

To me debark would be something you would do to a tree. :-)

debark - "to put ashore from a ship...unload... to go ashore from a ship, disembark"

Sawmills also use the term to mean removing the bark from a log.

Both meanings are correct in American English.

Many thanks for all your replies.

Although I have formed the view that most US citizens (point taken Chrysalis) use debark, in preference to disembark, and will attempt to fall in line with the majority whilst on a cruise, at least I now know that if I forget, and use disembark, I will not be misunderstood.

If you think my question is confusing try explaining it to a Frenchman. He won’t understand it all as the French language doesn’t have intransitive verbs and all sentences must have an object, with the result that that they have to say ‘the ship’s passengers debarked / disembarked themselves’ as the sentence ‘the ship’s passengers debarked / disembarked’ would appear to them to be incomplete and would leave the listener waiting to be told what they debarked / disembarked. :(
:confused: I can assure you that the French language has intransitive verbs, and a Frenchman would say Les passagers du bateau ont débarqué "The ship's passengers debarked / disembarked" with no object, exactly as in English.

You might also be interested in reading through some earlier discussions. I don't know if they specifically address the differences in usage in the different varieties of English.

Debark or Disembark?

Debark vs. Disembark

Debarking?

Debark or Disembark? Just curious...

A serious question on American English as opposed to Commonwealth English and I stress not an attempt to say that one version is right and the other is wrong. I simply want to make sure, that when talking to folks from North America, I don’t use words which, like ‘lift’ and ‘pavement’ will mean something completely different to the other person.

In Commonwealth English we have both the intransitive verb ‘disembark’ and the transitive verb ‘debark’, though common usage has it that Commonwealth English speaking people frequently use disembark in a transitive sense and rarely use debark.

In contrast, I notice that North American contributors to these boards tend to use debark as both a transitive and an intransitive verb and rarely use disembark.

My question is: is the verb disembark ever used in American English, or is it simply a case that common usage has it that American English speaking people generally use debark in an intransitive sense, rarely use disembark, but still recognise the word?

:confused:

For clarification, my understanding of the difference between transitive and intransitive is that:

A transitive verb has two characteristics. First, it is an action verb, expressing a doable activity and second it will have a direct object receiving the action, meaning that ‘the ship debarked / disembarked passengers / cargo’ is transitive.

whereas

An intransitive verb whilst also an action verb, expressing a doable activity, does not have a direct object receiving the action, meaning that ‘the ship’s passengers debarked / disembarked’ is intransitive.

My wife was debarked. So annoying , and she always finds something to complain about. Constant whiner. :D

:confused: I can assure you that the French language has intransitive verbs, and a Frenchman would say Les passagers du bateau ont débarqué "The ship's passengers debarked / disembarked" with no object, exactly as in English.

You might also be interested in reading through some earlier discussions. I don't know if they specifically address the differences in usage in the different varieties of English.

Debark or Disembark?

Debark vs. Disembark

Debarking?

Debark or Disembark? Just curious...

Thank you for correcting me. I would have, mistakenly, conjugated it as being reflective.

Off the original topic, but on the subject of transitive v intransitive, a good way of explaining how the same verb can be both transitive and intransitive is the question: How many times did Nicholas Sarkozy marry Cecilia?

Answer: Twice. The first time was when he was mayor of Neuilly sur Seine and he officiated at her wedding to her first husband. :)

To me, 'debark' is done in a sawmill, as one step of

turning trees into lumber.

Many thanks for all your replies.

Although I have formed the view that most US citizens ... use debark, in preference to disembark, ...

Not sure how many US citizens you've talked to but I have never used the term debark and have rarely heard it used. Maybe it's because I grew up in "New" England but I somehow doubt it as we've lived the last 30 years in California.

Funny comment about diffferent meanings of pavement. I didn't realize that's what you called sidewalks (our term). I love the idiosyncrasies of the same language separated by an ocean.