Barefoot Policy??

twinkle toes

Shoes required everywhere on the ship except the pool areas which includes the Trident Grill, Prego Pizza, the soft ice cream area, and adjacent bars. Shoes and cover ups are required in the buffet areas. No wet bathing suits. Swim wear and beach attire is not allowed in the Main Dining Rooms,and other indoor dining areas, such as the International Cafe.

I'm not sure there is a specific policy per se, but the one above is a good summary of the practical policy. I don't think anyone is going to stop you going from your cabin to the pool deck barefoot for example, but I certainly wouldn't.

For those who MUST be barefoot- once I saw a lady who wore a "sandal"- she had a woven leather/twine?? contraption that went around her ankle, down her foot and around her big toe. At a casual glance it looked like a flimsy sandal, but there was no sole to the "sandal". Apparently she was very serious about going barefoot. I don't know if she was ever "caught'. I saw her around the ship and in port. Her feet must have been pretty tough- it was summer and some areas were very hot.

I love going barefoot in my house and in my yard. I have garden shoes for when it is cold or wet, but most of the time I love the feel of the grass and even the dirt on my feet and hands when I garden. Of course, it means that I have to wash my hands and feet a lot. I really enjoy sitting on the deck, drinking a glass of wine and soaking my feet in Epsom salts after a long day of gardening. DH always wears gloves and shoes and just doesn't understand me on this one.

On a ship, however, I don't think so. We always carry airplane/hotel slippers in our luggage to slip on if we ever want to leave the cabin without bothering with shoes--i.e. for a quick trip up to the buffet for hot water.

For those who MUST be barefoot- once I saw a lady who wore a "sandal"- she had a woven leather/twine?? contraption that went around her ankle, down her foot and around her big toe. At a casual glance it looked like a flimsy sandal, but there was no sole to the "sandal". Apparently she was very serious about going barefoot. I don't know if she was ever "caught'. I saw her around the ship and in port. Her feet must have been pretty tough- it was summer and some areas were very hot.

14384560-the-little-girl-cartoon.jpg

I don't care what they say, "I'm not wearing shoes!"

Then you had better watch out for those motorized carts and walkers. They might crunch a toe or two! :D

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

I love going barefoot in my house and in my yard. I have garden shoes for when it is cold or wet, but most of the time I love the feel of the grass and even the dirt on my feet and hands when I garden. Of course, it means that I have to wash my hands and feet a lot. I really enjoy sitting on the deck, drinking a glass of wine and soaking my feet in Epsom salts after a long day of gardening. DH always wears gloves and shoes and just doesn't understand me on this one.

Of course! After all, you live in Seattle. I'm jealous. Here in Tucson if we don't wear something on our feet, it is scorpion stings and jabs from fallen cactus needles. Even around the pool deck our feet would be burned.

So, after a day of barefoot gardening in Tucson, we're sitting on the deck (under a shade of course), drinking a glass of pain-numbing tequila and soaking our feet in an anti-bacterial solution ... :D

PunkiC, you and I are quite alike in our foot attire area :) I even mow the yard barefoot, even in the dog area. I figure if anything gets on them of "that" nature, the hose will take care of it. I never go barefoot on the boat, but notice alot of people doing it, that's why I wondered if there was a policy. We leave in a few weeks for the Mexican Riviera, and I can't wait! I REALLY need this time away from home. I have a pair of "cruise" sandals that sit in my closet and only come out when we are goin cruizin.

Inside my home, I'm barefoot (and at homes where everyone leaves their shoes in the entry way). And maybe in the pool area on the ship, if it's not too hot. But usually I'll be in sandals, except for in cool weather. So right now, I have socks on and will put on sneakers when I leave home in a while.

I would be cautious about going barefoot in public areas where others are barefoot -- you don't know if they have a fungus (I know -TMI). Definitely inside the ship, I'll wear something on my feet.

My favorite shoes are no shoes at all. When I was younger I had very tough feet and could walk down the street on the pavement in the summer when the weather was over 100°. These days I'm a wuss and can't take that sort of stuff (but the bottoms of my feet look much nicer than they did back then...) However, I do still spend a lot of time with no shoes.

I wear Birkenstocks with no socks at work most of the year and kick them off in my office. I "usually" slip them back on when walking in the main office areas. We recently had a new hire at work and I told her I was "all dressed up today" when I first met her. She looked a bit confused as I was wearing jeans and a tee shirt. Her supervisor looked me over, saw that I was wearing sports shoes, and then told her, "Well he IS wearing real shoes today!" (It's good to be the IT guy. ;))

I have no desire to wander around the ship barefoot. Too many other people with too many chances to pick up something icky.

I wear Birkenstocks with no socks at work most of the year and kick them off in my office. I "usually" slip them back on when walking in the main office areas. We recently had a new hire at work and I told her I was "all dressed up today" when I first met her. She looked a bit confused as I was wearing jeans and a tee shirt. Her supervisor looked me over, saw that I was wearing sports shoes, and then told her, "Well he IS wearing real shoes today!" (It's good to be the IT guy. ;))

I have no desire to wander around the ship barefoot. Too many other people with too many chances to pick up something icky.

I wear Birkenstocks year round - even in the winter in Colorado. When it is cool or cold out, I just wear them with heavy socks. I do, however, break down and wear closed shoes when it is raining or when there is snow on the ground. Cold wet socks just are not comfortable.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I've never seen anything enforced on the ship as far as footwear goes, but I have seen people kicked out of the Horizon Court for wearing swimwear without a coverup. At Princess Cays there seems to be no enforcement whatsoever as I'd guess half the people in the buffet lines at any given time are barefoot and in swimsuits.

Generally I'm the type that likes to use as little footwear as I can get away with most of the time. When on the ship, that generally ends up being a pair of Chaco sandals. They're easy to put on and take off, give a bit more support than Birkenstocks or similar things. I do still try to dress up a bit for the dining rooms though (even on non-formal nights), so I'll wear normal shoes for that.

Edited by Vexorg

My favorite shoes are no shoes at all. When I was younger I had very tough feet and could walk down the street on the pavement in the summer when the weather was over 100°. These days I'm a wuss and can't take that sort of stuff (but the bottoms of my feet look much nicer than they did back then...) However, I do still spend a lot of time with no shoes.

I agree. Barefoot on a ship with thousands of people walking the same places sounds icky. And not wearing shoes anywhere around where food is served, sounds really icky and inconsiderate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On a ship, however, I don't think so. We always carry airplane/hotel slippers in our luggage to slip on if we ever want to leave the cabin without bothering with shoes--i.e. for a quick trip up to the buffet for hot water.

We must be twins! :D I love going barefoot but on a cruise ship - never. You never know what you can pick up as you walk around. I always wear a pair of flip flops on cruises and I have started taking slippers on planes to be more comfortable, especially those long flights overseas.

I will wear Crocs to the pool but walk back to my cabin barefooted. I think it's safer than walking down the stairs in Crocs. I'd put them on for going to the Horizon Court if I'd been at the pool.

At Princess Cays, I don't think there is any real china or glassware to get broken in the buffet area. I go barefooted there the whole time.

I do still try to dress up a bit for the dining rooms though (even on non-formal nights), so I'll wear normal shoes for that.

If the women can wear sandals, so can I. I wear my good Birkenstocks w dress socks. No problem so far.

Of course, I do wear shoes on formal night although I still see a whole bunch of women wearing what I consider to be dress sandals. I can only win just so many battles w the wife.

DON

I'm one of those that wear Birkenstocks a lot and yes I wear them on formal night. They are not the usual Arizona style ones but dressy silver ones with sparkles on them. No one has ever said a word about my birks for formal wear. I am also a barefoot type person but on the ship I always have something on my feet. I have seen too much broken glass or yucky food on the floor to even consider going barefoot.

DH has been turned away from the MDR at breakfast and lunch for wearing a tank top (instead of a shirt with short sleeves). He thinks this is a double standard since plenty of women were wearing tank tops. I told him that if he were to shave his underarms, I would feel like he had a valid point.