Backpacks for excursions

sarahruby

If that's what you want...go for it! We use whatever we need for the activity.....if we're simply shopping and walking about, my purse is fine. If we're doing something really active, you don't need anything except they equipment for that activity. If a backpack is your thing....use it!

I will be taking my first cruise this June to Alaska. I'd like to use a backpack when in ports...I was hoping for suggestions for other cruisers.

Basically whatever you're comfortable wearing. I have a "cheap" Winnie-the-Pooh backpack (from Sears) that I use - my husband has a "fancy" (not so cheap) backpack he purchased for use on Boy Scout trips.

Although it does depend on what sort of activities you will be doing in port as to what sort of backpack may work best.

For me, it depends on the port & weather...

If it's cold, & rainy DH usually brings his backpack as we can store umbrellas, hats, gloves, rain gear in it.

Also, if there's going to be a big fluctuation in weather.... one day in Maderia it was tank tops & capris in the main town at sea level, & freezing up Monte, we're talking jackets, hats, scarves!

We also both have light weight cross body bags for days with no weather issues.

I have a leather backpack that's served me well for many years.

We just use a simple backpack like you might see students wearing in HS or college. With 2 straps and a decent sized main compartment and smaller pouches on the front.

We carry ID's and some cash in the small compartments and then bottled water, maybe snacks, umbrellas, and whatever else we need for the day in the large compartment.

I'd check out a few backpacks at the store and buy whatever is comfortable. I find it convenient to carry the weight in a backpack instead of a hand bag of some sort. We tend to explore ports on foot and might walk 3-4 miles so I don't want to be carrying around stuff the whole day.

We don't use one, but see others all the time. If you like one, go for it.

I agree... backpacks are common in Alaska trips. They keep your hands free, just be careful when turning around quickly to not hit anyone.

I prefer backpacks as it keeps the weight over both shoulders.

I will be taking my first cruise this June to Alaska. I'd like to use a backpack when in ports...I was hoping for suggestions for other cruisers.

We always use a basic lightweight back back for a carryon and then also use it for excursions. For our Alaska cruise we bought waterproof spray and put several coats of the protection on the backpack and used that backpack whenever we went off the ship, whether on an excursion or just walking around the port.

Came in handy for purchases, for ponchos, carrying drinking water and granola bars

... They keep your hands free, just be careful when turning around quickly to not hit anyone.

I carry a Lowepro camera backpack. Amen to the above comment! In fact I find it quite awkward to maneuver in a tight space and will trim down my kit and carry only a shoulder bag for my gear if we are going to be up and down elevators or cable cars, in and out of stores or buses or trains.

we love our camel backs. built in water bladder and plenty of room to store jackets and cameras. we have 2 sizes, and the larger one is good for all day.

Yeah, I don't like backpacks. They are on your back and you can't see what's going on behind your back. Getting at anything you need quickly is impossible, - you have to take it off, set it down and rummage around in it to get what you need. And most of the time, they're subdued in color and look pretty much alike, so if somebody walks off with it, it's not going to stand out.

But the reason I really don't like backpacks is people forget they're wearing them, turn suddenly, and bang me around if I'm right behind them.

I carry a big water-resistant tote in a loud color. Works for me.

I love my Eddie Bauer Rippac. It's a daypack so it's very small for a backpack but it will hold everything you need for an afternoon. They only have one purple color available online right now for 50% off making it $14.99. Possibily discontinuing the item? But if the purple color is acceptable I would highly recommend one.

Edited by paulh84

We normally don't use a backpack except in certain areas. In Alaska, a small backpack can be useful as you need to have various layers available to wear or take off depending on the weather. I also have a camera backpack, and that was very helpful in parts of Alaska, though I now use a Cotton Carrier system that someone suggested while we were there. On other trips, a backpack is usually much more than you need, and a fanny pack will hold most of what you need in other parts of the world.

I used a Lowpro slingbag on my last Alaskan excursions. It held a camera and two lenses with plenty of room for rain gear, gloves, water bottles, tripod, and snacks. When riding in a vehicle/floatplane, I could slide it around to sit on my lap without any contortions to completely remove it from my shoulder.

Thanks for the reminders of the important items to bring on to an excursion; meds cash travel info etc...Now it's deciding if I want to use a tote bag or backpack. But also important is how much cash to bring. For the port in Cozumel we want to take a cab to do the Chocolate Factory Tour. Then for our next port stop that id already booked and paid. So not sure how much more needed.

I use a backpack. It really depends on what you want. Any thing to put stuff you buy in port, a bottle of water and camera in. I like a little bigger pack that way I can put my towel, sweater and such in there as well. You may want to think about that when going to a colder climate. If you get hot you may want a place to stow your extra layers. :o