What does Holland do for birthday?

phabric

First time on Holland.

We will be having passengers celebrating birthdays on our cruise. I know you can purchase birthday package for $29 from Holland"s gift department.

On Princess, they put balloons and sign on door for free.

What does Holland due?

If you are a regular HAL cruiser, they know it is your birthday. If you would rather not celebrate it, make sure you make it known ahead of time. The dining room stewards love to present a cake and sing. I guess it breaks up the monotony with a happy occasion.

If you are a regular HAL cruiser, they know it is your birthday. If you would rather not celebrate it, make sure you make it known ahead of time. The dining room stewards love to present a cake and sing. I guess it breaks up the monotony with a happy occasion.

Don't you think it might get a little "old" for them after the first 400 or 500 birthdays?:D

If you decide to have your birthday in the Pinnacle, all they will do there is bring the cake to your table. They are not allowed to sign in there.

A couple of times the Pinnacle staff knew it was my DH's birthday. For several days they kept mentioning about someone having a birthday. When the actual day came -- nothing.

I know some people have mentioned that they have gotten cards from the captain wishing them a Happy Anniversary or Happy Birthday. We have never gotten one.

For my father's birthday the waiters sang an Indonesian song around the table while giving him a small cake. As he doesn't care much for his birthday (indeed he found what little we did too much), it is alright. If you are one to celebrate your birthday like there is no tomorrow I'm not sure if HAL is the best line.

First time on Holland.

We will be having passengers celebrating birthdays on our cruise. I know you can purchase birthday package for $29 from Holland"s gift department.

On Princess, they put balloons and sign on door for free.

What does Holland due?

From Oosterdam, the Pangya Umurnya (Happy Birthday in Bahasa) song;

In Novemebr on Maasdam DH had a birthday and I identified it in the Passenger Information Form before boarding. Our MDR waiter brought a small cake t our table and a small group of them sang the birthday song. We had open dining but were pretty much sitting at the same table each night.

No balloons from room stewards, no card from captain; we have had both in the past but not recently. m--

Edited by RMLincoln

I celebrated my 55th this past November and was very happy with the birthday treatment. We booked a Neptune suite to mark the occasion and I received balloons and a card from the concierges, a card from the captain and cake in the MDR with singing. The best surprise was post birthday. We took some friends to the Tamarind (our second time on the cruise) and at the end of the meal they brought out another cake that was large enough to share with a table of four. I thought that HAL went above and beyond on that cruise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I guess the Noordam staff on our latest cruise had been short on birthdays as it was over-the-top for my wife's. Card from the Captain, balloons and card on the stateroom door. Cake in MDR and song night after her birthday and cake in PG night of birthday. They even delivered another fresh one to our stateroom that night! Then the over-the-topper was a full fresh large flower arrangement from the Concierges delivered to our stateroom. It was so beautiful and fresh I took it to the Neptune Lounge the morning we disembarked.

Like I said over-the-top. All I did was mention to the concierge to remind the PG staff of the birthday. Not expected nor should you probably.. :-):)

Dennis

Nine of us went on Zuiderdam to celebrate my mom's 80th birthday.

We brought the balloons for her door and made a poster.

We booked Pinnacle for the party. I had pre-ordered and paid for a birthday cake.

They forgot to make it, so gave us the small freebie cake.

Later they offered to have the large cake I ordered made up and delivered to our cabin. I said no thanks ... Just credit me back the money we spent.

It was disappointing.

There were nine of us on Westerdam celebrating my birthday. My daughters talked to the concierge, and pretty much all she did was arrange for the girls to get into the MDR early to decorate the table.

We got the regular free cake, and some of the servers sang to us.

I think they have so many birthdays, it's not that much of a big deal.

Edited by Oceanwench

We booked Pinnacle for the party. I had pre-ordered and paid for a birthday cake.

Later they offered to have the large cake I ordered made up and delivered to our cabin. I said no thanks ... Just credit me back the money we spent.

It was disappointing.

There were nine of us on Westerdam celebrating my birthday. My daughters talked to the concierge, and pretty much all she did was arrange for the girls to get into the MDR early to decorate the table.

what a shame :(

We went to the Pinnacle to avoid any fuss for DH's birthday as he doesn't want singing and stuff. I told no one that I can recall.

they prepared a beautiful birthday cake loaded with chocolate decorations on top (even RuthC would like it). It was a beautiful cake.

No card from the captain. I didn't even know that happened.

No biggie - DH was happy.

I'm sorry that your celebration was mucked up. And, I think you are right - there are too many celebrations and some of them not valid.

Take a look at the youtube that Copper posted. They had singing every night . Seriously? No wonder things get missed:eek:

In all our cruises, it has been a very rare night when there was not at least one table on upper level having Happy Anniversary Lovely Couple or Happy Birthday (Indonosian style) sung. :) Every night someone is celebrating something.... graduation, retirement, birthday, honeymoon, anniversary, .........

My husband and I find the table singing and clapping embarrassing as we do not like drawing attention to ourselves in public. Somehow on one cruise the waiter knew it was my birthday and I asked him very seriously to not have the singing. I was very emphatic about it. They did it anyway. I managed a smile but I was not happy. The whole thing was very cringeworthy and I think they should allow passengers to opt out if they wish.

Maybe I am an exception and maybe not.

My husband and I find the table singing and clapping embarrassing as we do not like drawing attention to ourselves in public. Somehow on one cruise the waiter knew it was my birthday and I asked him very seriously to not have the singing. I was very emphatic about it. They did it anyway. I managed a smile but I was not happy. The whole thing was very cringeworthy and I think they should allow passengers to opt out if they wish.

Maybe I am an exception and maybe not.

I too do not enjoy being singled out. On a cruise in 2008, we made a mistake(as I see it now) and told our tablemates we were going to be celebrating a wedding anniversary. Against our expressed wishes they arranged for friends to come by and sing to us. So now, even tho we tend to be on board for our anniversary we tell no one.

It was disappointing.

Sorry that they messed up your mother's milestone birthday.

It was disappointing.

Our experience on Zuiderdam was similar on our B2B last year. I noted in our original booking that we had DH's birthday on day one and our anniversary on the last night.

Even sent an email a month before to our "PCC" reminding her of events.

Nada, zip, zilch on board- no one knew anything about it. Concierge said no one informed them. I found it troubling that they dodn't know about the anniversary as we got married on HAL a year before.

Our experience on Zuiderdam was similar on our B2B last year. I noted in our original booking that we had DH's birthday on day one and our anniversary on the last night.

Even sent an email a month before to our "PCC" reminding her of events.

Nada, zip, zilch on board- no one knew anything about it. Concierge said no one informed them. I found it troubling that they dodn't know about the anniversary as we got married on HAL a year before.

That is a shame that you noted everything on your reservation and even told your PCC about the birthday and anniversary and nothing happened.