Entertainment news

bitob

Since we rarely go to a "show" it really doesn't bother me. They can save their money for all I care... But I suppose I am in the minority. I rather like a good book (iPad of course) instead of a "show"...

I'm with you, Hambagahle - I seldom go to a show, so I could care less what they do! I'm usually reading up about the next day's adventure.

I'm curious, however, as to what the "different" management comment by freightgoddess means! Umm...how different?!

We might go to shows occasionally if they were good. Day 14 of 30 night cruise and we have not gone to one show. How many times can you see Postcards?

We heard one tenor was good. Otherwise same old same old

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since we rarely go to a "show" it really doesn't bother me. They can save their money for all I care... But I suppose I am in the minority. I rather like a good book (iPad of course) instead of a "show"...

Once again I agree with you. We never go to the shows and changing them does not mean anything to us especially if they have to spend more on them.

It really is great that no one on here goes to the show as Oceania just puts on one each night and the theater is standing room only. Thanks for giving us your seat!

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

You're very welcome - although I'm not really knocking the shows, as the ones I've seen I've enjoyed. I certainly don't think they're bad, it's just that I'm usually bushed from tramping around a new port all day (and for me, yes, it IS usually all day). I like to have some down time after dinner, too!

I don't go to shows here at home, either - just a big stick in the mud, I guess, and getting more stuck as the years pass by! However, I'm glad that the shows are appreciated by those who DO go, as the performers do deserve big kudos for working hard to entertain the variety of people who go on a cruise ship! I'm especially amazed that some of the people who sing, dance, etc. are the same ones who lead activities during the day. When do they sleep?

They get very little sleep as you usually see them until late at night. When we disembarked in Singapore last February, we left them the wine we had not opened while on board as an appreciation for all the hard work they do. The cruise staff really appreciated the wine. Also, it meant that we did not have to pay the horrendous tax that Singapore was going to collect even though we would have taken the wine home with us.:D

As the saying goes, everybody has an opinion about the entertainment, and nobody needs two, however, there isn't a great deal that can be done with the shows on the R ships. I'm saying that from a logistical viewpoint, not as a critic.

231521.jpgstage-shows-aladdin-420.jpg

Their main Lounges lack the dressing rooms, true prosceniums, stages etc to support the spectaculars that win raves on NCL, RCCL, Carnival, et al.

231457.jpg162344.jpg

Simple cabaret, supplemented by orchestral music for dancing is what they were built for, and although that type of thing might not be everyone's cup of tea, it's not possible to go too far afield from that concept without a major revamp of the physical plant.

and went to a Folkloric show in San Juan which was before dinner which is something for Oceania. However, the seats in the theatre are absolutely unspeakably uncomfortable. The show was good. Usually we are not willing to go to a show that starts at 9:45.

Maybe they will have them earlier.

Other than their theatre, what other types of entertainment venues can we expect on the Regatta -- specifically places with music (a DJ, perhaps) for dancing or a piano bar?

We enjoy string quartet in the foyer and "piano bar" at Martini's.

I loved the simple cabaret singing as featured on the R ships. I remember the great vocals and the personable singers. A couple production shows on the O ships were good but I cannot even remember what we saw.

IMO big production shows at sea can be a little hokey, especially after seeing lots of Broadway shows.

Other than their theatre, what other types of entertainment venues can we expect on the Regatta -- specifically places with music (a DJ, perhaps) for dancing or a piano bar?

Maybe they have something like this, but on the 6 Oceania cruises I've been on in the last year I have trouble remembering if they do.

I do know there is a band that usually plays after tea and before dinner in Horizons. I really don't remember a DJ.

There is a piano player at Happy Hour in the Martini bar, not sure when else they play. I don't think people dance at this.

I hope you're not disappointed in this aspect, but late night activities are few and far between. Most regulars go to bed early. Maybe they have something in Horizons later, but I'm not up that late so I'm not really sure.

I personally am not a fan of sitting and listening to a string quartet, but then again I like Rock N Roll. On the other hand many O cruisers like this type of entertainment.

Enjoy your cruise, there are a lot of things to like about Oceania.

String quartet in the evening on deck 5 by the shops, Martinis deck 5 they have a piano player, Horizons after the evening show there is usually something going on, before the show they usually have the band playing, small dance floor

String quartet plays during tea at 4pm in Horizons

Best to check the daily Newsletter "The Currents" for activities & locations

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Maybe they have something like this, but on the 6 Oceania cruises I've been on in the last year I have trouble remembering if they do.

I do know there is a band that usually plays after tea and before dinner in Horizons. I really don't remember a DJ.

There is a piano player at Happy Hour in the Martini bar, not sure when else they play. I don't think people dance at this.

I hope you're not disappointed in this aspect, but late night activities are few and far between. Most regulars go to bed early. Maybe they have something in Horizons later, but I'm not up that late so I'm not really sure.

I personally am not a fan of sitting and listening to a string quartet, but then again I like Rock N Roll. On the other hand many O cruisers like this type of entertainment.

Enjoy your cruise, there are a lot of things to like about Oceania.

Thanks for the info. I just like to know what to expect - so as to avoid disappointment. We typically don't go to bed too early and like to enjoy some entertainment after dinner, even though we're up early the next day hitting the ground running in port. Agreed - not necessarily a fan of just sitting and listening to a string quartet, although I'm sure they are good. Jazz could be fun. I'm sure we'll make friends with the bartenders and find something to entertain us.

After the show is over in the Main Lounge , in your case the Regatta Lounge, which will be 9:30 or 10:00PM, dancing transfers upstairs to Horizons (the Observation Lounge, by day). The music may be a live combo of four to six pieces, or recorded music, depending on the theme of the evening. Dancing will continue until passenger interest wanes, typically midnight-ish, sometimes earlier if it is a port intensive itinerary.

Oceania_Regatta_027.JPG

There is a Pianist in the Martini Lounge from the 4PM happy hour until midnight, less the typical breaks required by the musician unions, but he will be there more for ambience than as a piano bar pianist.

Oceania_Regatta_048.JPG

On nautica

Ncl is going to totally revamp entertainment. Plans underway

Works for us

FYI..will start on Riviera April / May as a full production show NCL will work in conjunction with Oceania..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

After the show is over in the Main Lounge , in your case the Regatta Lounge, which will be 9:30 or 10:00PM, dancing transfers upstairs to Horizons (the Observation Lounge, by day). The music may be a live combo of four to six pieces, or recorded music, depending on the theme of the evening. Dancing will continue until passenger interest wanes, typically midnight-ish, sometimes earlier if it is a port intensive itinerary.

Oceania_Regatta_027.JPG

There is a Pianist in the Martini Lounge from the 4PM happy hour until midnight, less the typical breaks required by the musician unions, but he will be there more for ambience than as a piano bar pianist.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure we'll find something fun!

FYI..will start on Riviera April / May as a full production show NCL will work in conjunction with Oceania..

Jancruz1

I think this is great. A real cost saving as these shows must be big bucks to do and NCL does have very good shows.

Just wanted to mention that not all of the "shows" are musical. On Insignia in September, there was a magician, comedian and I forget what/who else. I found the entertainment on Insignia to be a little more low keyed than what I had experienced on my past 3 years of sailing on Marina, but maybe I was just imagining that.

I recommend at least going to the next to last night's show. They have it a little bit later than the rest of the shows and it is called "The Salute with Special Guests." If you've enjoyed the cruise, you might want to make an effort to go. I may not go to many shows, but I've never missed that one, and always enjoy looking for our cabin attendants and other familiar crew members.