CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

My mistake, just corrected the day to Saturday.

There doesn't seem to be many options for food around the Ramada?

Overall there are very few non-hotel food options at Newark airport. The Doubletree next door to the Ramada is full service. When I stayed at the Ramada, I met folks who were just hopping on the NJ turnpike at exit 14 and going south one exit to exit 13A to Jersey Gardens Mall where there is an Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday's, Johnny Rockets, IHOP, and mall food court. That's about it unless you want to drive into the Ironbound district in downtown Newark. This area is not a vacation destination.

Good point. Turnpike traffic can be unpredictable. My Newark Airport recommendation would be the park, sleep, cruise package from trinityreservations.com at the Ramada Plaza - $219 tax included for hotel, 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation. The hotel alone is $130 prepaid tax included and $160 not prepaid tax included plus $16 to park. Parking at the port is $180 for 9 days. I used this package last Feb and was very happy with it. I was in my car headed back to Boston at 8:30 am.

Do you think this is a better choice than the Hilton Garden Inn Staten Island? We can get their park, stay, cruise package for $200.

Our cruise is only a 4 day so parking at the port is at most $100, I'm not sure if Monday will count as a day since we get back that day.

Wondering if maybe we should just take the train.

Edited by cruizinawayinva

Do you think this is a better choice than the Hilton Garden Inn Staten Island? We can get their park, stay, cruise package for $200.

Our cruise is only a 4 day so parking at the port is at most $100, I'm not sure if Monday will count as a day since we get back that day.

Wondering if maybe we should just take the train.

Don't take the train. I didn't realize it was a 4 day cruise. Hilton Garden at $200 is a good deal. You will have to pay a $15 bridge toll, but you will save over $10 in turnpike tolls by getting off at exit 10 for the Outerbridge Crossing to Staten Island. The Bayonne Bridge closures have become less frequent and not usually on weekday mornings.

Hi, this will be my first time cruising out of Cape Liberty and I need some advice please! I will probably fly in the evening of Aug 11 to EWR and stay at a local airport hotel- currently booked at Hampton Inn but can switch if needed. It will be one adult and one child for transportation to Cape Liberty Saturday morning. Will need transport back to EWR Thursday, Aug 17. Is Uber a viable option? I read that cab cost $60 and that seems really high to me? I plan on booking a 12:30 return flight but I know there will be rush hour traffic Thursday morning- is this too early of a flight (domestic). How much are Royal Caribbean transfers?

I can also fly out early Saturday morning and arrive at 7:30AM or 9:30AM. Not crazy about same day flights, but have done it before. Thanks for any advice!

Hi, this will be my first time cruising out of Cape Liberty and I need some advice please! I will probably fly in the evening of Aug 11 to EWR and stay at a local airport hotel- currently booked at Hampton Inn but can switch if needed. It will be one adult and one child for transportation to Cape Liberty Saturday morning. Will need transport back to EWR Thursday, Aug 17. Is Uber a viable option? I read that cab cost $60 and that seems really high to me? I plan on booking a 12:30 return flight but I know there will be rush hour traffic Thursday morning- is this too early of a flight (domestic). How much are Royal Caribbean transfers?

I can also fly out early Saturday morning and arrive at 7:30AM or 9:30AM. Not crazy about same day flights, but have done it before. Thanks for any advice!

Definitely come in the night before. Hampton Inn is very well priced for Aug 11 and they offer free breakfast. The Renaissance is also well priced with a pool and no free breakfast.

Uber is a viable option. Coming back you can go to the taxi dispatcher and get an airport transfer for $20/pp.

Definitely come in the night before. Hampton Inn is very well priced for Aug 11 and they offer free breakfast. The Renaissance is also well priced with a pool and no free breakfast.

Uber is a viable option. Coming back you can go to the taxi dispatcher and get an airport transfer for $20/pp.

Thank you so much! Are there any places to eat around the airport hotels or am I better off to eat at the airport before going to the hotel?

Is a 12:20 flight a good option from EWR on a Thursday? I can take my own suitcase off the ship early. Thanks!

Thank you so much! Are there any places to eat around the airport hotels or am I better off to eat at the airport before going to the hotel?

Is a 12:20 flight a good option from EWR on a Thursday? I can take my own suitcase off the ship early. Thanks!

The only airport hotels that have easy access to non-hotel restaurants are the hotels on International Blvd (formerly Glimcher Realty Way) in Elizabeth - Embassy Suites, Courtyard Elizabeth, Residence Inn, Country

Inns. Options are Ruby Tuesdays, IHOP, Applebee's, Johnny Rockets, and the food court at Jersey Gardens Mall. I don't think the Hampton Inn has easy access to dinner food options, but call them to see what they say.

A 12:20 flight should be just fine.

... Are there any places to eat around the airport hotels or am I better off to eat at the airport before going to the hotel? ...

Not at/near EWR airport, including the Hampton Inns - which typically will serve, as a chain, a hot buffet breakfast in the morning - you should find vending machine for snacks. Front desk probably has menu & a list of nearby places for deliveries (pizza ... not even sure about Chinese food on a late evening)

The EWR Hampton is off the local lanes of Rt. 1/9 South - between airport car rentals - in the middle of nowhere, behind fenced residential homes nearby (no access) Best option would be to ride the airport shuttle back to the terminals for food (or, eat first before leaving "air-side" (after security) for hotel.

There is a Burger King & Dunkin Donuts about 3/4 mile south, not walkable nor wise to do so, and 24/7 convenience store inside "Speedway" gas station. There is a sports bar/restaurant about a block away closer, heading toward EWR terminals at North Avenue, Motel 6 is 1/2 block away - next to the HI Crown Plaza EWR. Marriott EWR at the airport has on-site dining - on airport grounds but ... more shuttle/transfer. All their open hours for dinner are likely limited.

As 138East/Carol noted, an Uber ride over to Jersey Gardens outlet mall is probably a better option, as long as they are still open. My suggestion, if flight is arriving in the mid/late evening - best to pickup something at EWR upon landing, collect luggage & ride over to the hotel - microwave is typically available in the lobby area, reheat if necessary.

Back to planning...We are cruising on the Anthem on Sunday, Jan 28. We are thinking of arriving on Thursday either earlyish afternoon or around 9:30 pm. We would like to tour around NYC on Friday and Saturday for sure, perhaps Thursday afternoon/evening if we came in early. We would then make our way to the cruise on Sunday then quickly back to the airport on Feb. 9 for a possible 11 a.m. flight. Now for some questions: is it better to stay around Newark and travel into NYC each day or better to stay somewhere in NYC and travel to the cruise from there? If the second one is better, is it better to fly into JFK? Suggestions on hotels? Thinking of the Hampton Inn near Herald Square if we stayed in NYC. Suggestions on the best things to see in NYC in 2 days? What is the best way to get to sights in NYC if we are staying in Newark? What is the best way to get to the cruise port and then back to the airport? Thanks for all your input. I apologize if I have asked some of these questions before. I have had both my parents pass away this year and honestly I'm not sure which way is up sometimes!

Back to planning...We are cruising on the Anthem on Sunday, Jan 28. We are thinking of arriving on Thursday either earlyish afternoon or around 9:30 pm. We would like to tour around NYC on Friday and Saturday for sure, perhaps Thursday afternoon/evening if we came in early. We would then make our way to the cruise on Sunday then quickly back to the airport on Feb. 9 for a possible 11 a.m. flight. Now for some questions: is it better to stay around Newark and travel into NYC each day or better to stay somewhere in NYC and travel to the cruise from there? If the second one is better, is it better to fly into JFK? Suggestions on hotels? Thinking of the Hampton Inn near Herald Square if we stayed in NYC. Suggestions on the best things to see in NYC in 2 days? What is the best way to get to sights in NYC if we are staying in Newark? What is the best way to get to the cruise port and then back to the airport? Thanks for all your input. I apologize if I have asked some of these questions before. I have had both my parents pass away this year and honestly I'm not sure which way is up sometimes!

I'm on that cruise! What is your hotel budget? What is the cost of Hampton Inn near Herald Square? Is accessible public transit with your luggage an option?

I think you should fly into Newark, but don't book any flights until you have a plan for a hotel and all your transportation costs to get from the airport to a hotel, hotel to NY destinations, hotel to the port, and port to the airpirt. You also need to focus on what you actually want to do in NYC in the dead of winter.

My plan is to take Amtrak to NYC and PATH from Herald Square to the Jersey City Marriott Courtyard. My objective is to go into lower Manhattan to see the 911 memorial and the Freedom Tower on the afternoon/evening before the cruise. To get to the port the following day I will take the Hudson-Bergen light rail to Bayonne and call a cab or Uber to get into the port.

Generally folks want to stay in Manhattan, but you can save substantially on your hotel and transportation costs by staying in NJ and using public transit.

I'm on that cruise! What is your hotel budget? What is the cost of Hampton Inn near Herald Square? Is accessible public transit with your luggage an option?

I think you should fly into Newark, but don't book any flights until you have a plan for a hotel and all your transportation costs to get from the airport to a hotel, hotel to NY destinations, hotel to the port, and port to the airpirt. You also need to focus on what you actually want to do in NYC in the dead of winter.

My plan is to take Amtrak to NYC and PATH from Herald Square to the Jersey City Marriott Courtyard. My objective is to go into lower Manhattan to see the 911 memorial and the Freedom Tower on the afternoon/evening before the cruise. To get to the port the following day I will take the Hudson-Bergen light rail to Bayonne and call a cab or Uber to get into the port.

Generally folks want to stay in Manhattan, but you can save substantially on your hotel and transportation costs by staying in NJ and using public transit.

My hotel budget is as low as possible and still be safe and clean, preferably with a good breakfast included! The hampton inn is $123 for CARP members and includes a good breakfast and gets great reviews. It is right by Herald Square. Unless something changes, we would have one large rolling suitcase and each have a carry on backpack/suitcase. Yes, I definitely want to have everything in place before booking flights!

My hotel budget is as low as possible and still be safe and clean, preferably with a good breakfast included! The hampton inn is $123 for CARP members and includes a good breakfast and gets great reviews. It is right by Herald Square. Unless something changes, we would have one large rolling suitcase and each have a carry on backpack/suitcase. Yes, I definitely want to have everything in place before booking flights!

That's a great deal. From EWR you can take the NJ Transit train to NY Penn Station for $13/pp. and be 1 1/2 Avenues and 3 streets from the hotel, which you can walk or take an inexpensive cab ride.

You can use public transit (PATH, Hudson Bergen light rail, and cab/Uber) to get to Cape Liberty for about $20-25. Your hotel is 3 blocks from PATH. I can provide directions. To get back to EWR when you disembark you can take a shared shuttle for $20/pp.

That's a great deal. From EWR you can take the NJ Transit train to NY Penn Station for $13/pp. and be 1 1/2 Avenues and 3 streets from the hotel, which you can walk or take an inexpensive cab ride.

You can use public transit (PATH, Hudson Bergen light rail, and cab/Uber) to get to Cape Liberty for about $20-25. Your hotel is 3 blocks from PATH. I can provide directions. To get back to EWR when you disembark you can take a shared shuttle for $20/pp.

Sure...directions would be great!

Sure...directions would be great!

You inspired me to look at hotel rates again for 1/27/18. I'm now seriously considering the La Quinta on 32nd St which is showing at under $120 tax included!

From Hampton Inn you would walk south on 6th Ave on the west side to the accessible PATH entrance between 32nd and 33rd just after JC Penney's. On a weekend morning you take any train to Hoboken for $2.75. At Hoboken you go up to the street level and go to the far left side of the train tracks to the light rail. Hoboken is an historic train station worth looking at and the views of Manhattan are excellent. You buy a light rail ticket for $2.25, validate it in the machine, and take the Bayonne 8th St train to 34th St where you call a cab or Uber to go into the port.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Quick question

When you get off N. J. Tpk at exit 14a after toll and traffic light do you still take the ramp and make two right turns and a left turn to get on 440 South?

Thanks for the help.

Dick

When I did it in Feb, the shuttle followed the signs to Ave E, went to the light at 45th St, made a left over the light rail, followed the road around to where it deadended at Goldsborough Drive, and made a left to go down the road to the port. There are no big trucks on this route.

You inspired me to look at hotel rates again for 1/27/18. I'm now seriously considering the La Quinta on 32nd St which is showing at under $120 tax included!

From Hampton Inn you would walk south on 6th Ave on the west side to the accessible PATH entrance between 32nd and 33rd just after JC Penney's. On a weekend morning you take any train to Hoboken for $2.75. At Hoboken you go up to the street level and go to the far left side of the train tracks to the light rail. Hoboken is an historic train station worth looking at and the views of Manhattan are excellent. You buy a light rail ticket for $2.25, validate it in the machine, and take the Bayonne 8th St train to 34th St where you call a cab or Uber to go into the port.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Thanks a bunch! This is nice and detailed. I saw La Quinta as I was looking at google maps last night and thought I'd look into it today. However, I think I'll stick with my original choice after reading the reviews and the fact that they have a different hot item in the breakfast buffet every day. Nice to fill up then have a nice dinner later in the day. A good breakfast is another way to save money and for 2 makes the difference in price between the two hotels. As well, overall reviews are better for the hampton: #171 out of 467 vs. #286 for La Quinta. If you are staying at either place, perhaps we can meet for dinner or ride to the port together once the time comes!

Thanks a bunch! This is nice and detailed. I saw La Quinta as I was looking at google maps last night and thought I'd look into it today. However, I think I'll stick with my original choice after reading the reviews and the fact that they have a different hot item in the breakfast buffet every day. Nice to fill up then have a nice dinner later in the day. A good breakfast is another way to save money and for 2 makes the difference in price between the two hotels. As well, overall reviews are better for the hampton: #171 out of 467 vs. #286 for La Quinta. If you are staying at either place, perhaps we can meet for dinner or ride to the port together once the time comes!

I decided to book La Quinta for 1/27. Senior rate is $95 plus tax! I can't believe it. Thanks for alerting me to the cheap prices in Manhattan for that date.

My email is cc138east at gmail so we can touch base closer to the cruise. My objective is to go see the 911 Memorial Museum Sat night and go up the Freedom Tower if the weather is clear. Typically I would leave for the port between 9 and 9:30 am. Anthem always boards very early if she arrives on time and the port traffic is manageable.

I decided to book La Quinta for 1/27. Senior rate is $95 plus tax! I can't believe it. Thanks for alerting me to the cheap prices in Manhattan for that date.

My email is cc138east at gmail so we can touch base closer to the cruise. My objective is to go see the 911 Memorial Museum Sat night and go up the Freedom Tower if the weather is clear. Typically I would leave for the port between 9 and 9:30 am. Anthem always boards very early if she arrives on time and the port traffic is manageable.

I have booked the Hampton but thought I'd look at La Quinta again. The cheapest I can find is $103.50. Where did you find the $95 rate?

I have booked the Hampton but thought I'd look at La Quinta again. The cheapest I can find is $103.50. Where did you find the $95 rate?

I found it on their website directly. It's a senior rate for a Queen, which is all I need. With tax it was about $112. Also I booked only one night on 1/27. Typically you will pay more on a Thursday night.

I found it on their website directly. It's a senior rate for a Queen, which is all I need. With tax it was about $112. Also I booked only one night on 1/27. Typically you will pay more on a Thursday night.

Maybe it shows up differently on a Canadian server even though it is in US $ because I looked on their website, booking.com, etc and even called the hotel and couldn't get that low. Wasn't meant to be for me I guess!

I am considering using the reservation company for the night before my cruise. However the two hotels they use in Elizabeth have widely different reviews from very good to awful. I don't need parking just the port transfer (one way, I am doing a ship excursion NYC tour with airport drop off).

Should I look for other options, the Hilton Airport has a package. Thanks

I am considering using the reservation company for the night before my cruise. However the two hotels they use in Elizabeth have widely different reviews from very good to awful. I don't need parking just the port transfer (one way, I am doing a ship excursion NYC tour with airport drop off).

Should I look for other options, the Hilton Airport has a package. Thanks

Are you talking about trinity reservations? I have stayed at the Ramada but not the Crowne Plaza. I would rate it as a 3* hotel and I would not hesitate to stay there again. The problem with reviews at EWR is that a lot of folks post reviews when their travel plans are interrupted and they end up in a hotel that is not prepared to receive them at the last minute. Newark is not a vacation destination.

Please provide more details - Exact date you need a room. Hotel budget. Number of people and bed size. Flight arrival time (do you need to eat dinner?)

In checking the Hilton I see that they are now offering a package with round trip port transportation. That is a new offering. However you don't need the return transportation so you should look at other options.

Are you talking about trinity reservations? I have stayed at the Ramada but not the Crowne Plaza. I would rate it as a 3* hotel and I would not hesitate to stay there again. The problem with reviews at EWR is that a lot of folks post reviews when their travel plans are interrupted and they end up in a hotel that is not prepared to receive them at the last minute. Newark is not a vacation destination.

Please provide more details - Exact date you need a room. Hotel budget. Number of people and bed size. Flight arrival time (do you need to eat dinner?)

In checking the Hilton I see that they are now offering a package with round trip port transportation. That is a new offering. However you don't need the return transportation so you should look at other options.

Thanks Carol. I'm flying in Sept 22, solo senior lady, price below $200 for room and port transfer . Clean, quiet, and no hassle transfer. Room with a microwave and coffee pot would be good, I need gluten free so I'd bring my own food. Haven't decided on flights, will want to land by 6pm.