CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

With the news that the MCT will be getting 28 million dollars for improvements I hope there are plans for more and different ships, lines and itineraries to choose from. The population for potential cruise passengers within 150 to 200 miles of the New York, New Jersey ports is probably the largest of any ports on the entire East coast.

bosco

Got off Anthem on Saturday morning & it was a mess. They were very behind. We walked down at 10:30, didn't get through customs til after 11. Since we live local it isn't an issue but if I'd had to get to EWR for an early flight, I would have panicked. People were lining up for self carry an hour before docking.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

Did you find out what the problem was, or was it 'just one of those days'!?

Simon

Got off Anthem on Saturday morning & it was a mess. They were very behind. We walked down at 10:30, didn't get through customs til after 11. Since we live local it isn't an issue but if I'd had to get to EWR for an early flight, I would have panicked. People were lining up for self carry an hour before docking.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

According to Radio (see his thread on the RCL board), Anthem picked up her pilot at 6 am and docked at 6:45 with walkoffs scheduled to start at 7:30. That is late. Anyone who decides they are going to risk an early flight has to be be prepared to suck it up and do what it takes to get off the ship by being in line at least an hour ahead (in this case 5:45 am) and also being prepared to hire a porter if the C&I line is already long. Nobody recommends making an early flight reservation. However, if you choose to do so, you have to be one of those folks in line by o'dark hundred.

With the news that the MCT will be getting 28 million dollars for improvements I hope there are plans for more and different ships, lines and itineraries to choose from. The population for potential cruise passengers within 150 to 200 miles of the New York, New Jersey ports is probably the largest of any ports on the entire East coast.

bosco

Over the years I've found that in addition to the vast number of "under 200 mile" cruisers, many cruisers who live 4-10 hours from New York think nothing of driving in from Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, upstate New York, western Pennsylvania, Ontario, and Quebec. The problem is that the itinerary possibilities are limited and many are seasonal.

bosco

I hope so as well! We live in Ohio and the drive is fairly easy for us. Plus nothing beats sailing by Lady Liberty!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

According to Radio (see his thread on the RCL board), Anthem picked up her pilot at 6 am and docked at 6:45 with walkoffs scheduled to start at 7:30. That is late. Anyone who decides they are going to risk an early flight has to be be prepared to suck it up and do what it takes to get off the ship by being in line at least an hour ahead (in this case 5:45 am) and also being prepared to hire a porter if the C&I line is already long. Nobody recommends making an early flight reservation. However, if you choose to do so, you have to be one of those folks in line by o'dark hundred.

Yep, Carol is right, it was as Radio said.

For us it wasn't an issue, we were given one of the last numbers and really didn't care. It's 10 minutes to home, so we weren't going to try and get out early. I just couldn't believe the crowds that were still waiting to disembark. We were in group #53 out of 55.

This is just a caveat that if you're trying to make an early plane, you better be prepared. :)

If you're planning on disembarking early, you really have to keep tabs on the announcements and get up early. Last Feb we had a helicopter evac off Norfolk the last day which took about 4-5 hours. The captain announced we were still on schedule to pick up the pilot at Ambrose light at 4:00-4:30 am and arrive by 6:00 am and we did just that. Someone knows the schedule and you can find it out. There may be scheduling changes, but usually they are not really total surprises.

Notes & Opinions on using light rail to/from Port Liberty: It took about 20 min for a taxi to arrive for pickup at 34th st light rail and at least 30 min wait from the port to 45th st light rail. The public part of the transit was timely and fine but the last/first legs weren't the best.

Upon arrival at 34th st station, I requested an Uber and a driver est. 8 min away accepted the ride. About 10 min of waiting and I see he's suddenly on the fast track towards New York, almost at a major bridge in the opposite direction so I cancelled and requested my cancellation fee back (only a credit). In the meantime, two other passengers have arrived and we've agreed to share our ride. They call two taxi companies and the 2nd one on the list quoted 10 min, the 1st one said 20 min. Well, the accurate estimate was probably 20 min. We waited about that long in the shade of the bus stop and called the 2nd cab company to check on our pickup while they scramble to re-deploy a local cab driver who was almost off shift from around town routes to shuttle us the quick drive to the pier. My portion of the shared fare was $4 and we were treated to plenty of free "character" from the cabbie ;) . Honestly, I might have been able to walk it in 45 min but there are a few spots without sidewalk. In hindsight, I think I would have taken a taxi/rideshare from Exchange Place PATH instead as a decent price/convenience trade off.

I disembarked around 8:40 am which was fairly efficient and crossed the street to the large open parking lot where some friendly transportation people ask if you'd like a taxi or shuttle. No one else was going towards midtown via shuttle so I asked for a ride to light rail. We weren't really given a time frame for pickup and there were perhaps 10 taxi's waiting, trying to cut each others lines. I should have sat in the converted cargo container bus stop in the shade but instead lingered near a parked shuttle's shade in line of sight in hopes that we'd finally leave. A different shuttle van arrives after ~30 min and they arrange for me to be included with the passengers going towards EWR. The driver stopped at the curb next to 45th St light rail station which doesn't really have any parking, blocking the right turn area, so I'm glad I travel light and can still scooch fast. Charge was $5. The shuttle doesn't leave with enough regular frequency for an early EWR/JFK flight.

Edited by travelpeon

Hello[emoji16] i'm sailing on the Anthem aug 30, and will be flying in a few days before to do some shopping in NYC. I'll be staying close to times square. What would be your recomendations on getting to the port? I think RC had a shuttle, but it looks like it won't be at the port until 1pm......

Thanks for your help[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notes & Opinions on using light rail to/from Port Liberty: It took about 20 min for a taxi to arrive for pickup at 34th st light rail and at least 30 min wait from the port to 45th st light rail. The public part of the transit was timely and fine but the last/first legs weren't the best.

Upon arrival at 34th st station, I requested an Uber and a driver est. 8 min away accepted the ride. About 10 min of waiting and I see he's suddenly on the fast track towards New York, almost at a major bridge in the opposite direction so I cancelled and requested my cancellation fee back (only a credit). In the meantime, two other passengers have arrived and we've agreed to share our ride. They call two taxi companies and the 2nd one on the list quoted 10 min, the 1st one said 20 min. Well, the accurate estimate was probably 20 min. We waited about that long in the shade of the bus stop and called the 2nd cab company to check on our pickup while they scramble to re-deploy a local cab driver who was almost off shift from around town routes to shuttle us the quick drive to the pier. My portion of the shared fare was $4 and we were treated to plenty of free "character" from the cabbie ;) . Honestly, I might have been able to walk it in 45 min but there are a few spots without sidewalk. In hindsight, I think I would have taken a taxi/rideshare from Exchange Place PATH instead as a decent price/convenience trade off.

I disembarked around 8:40 am which was fairly efficient and crossed the street to the large open parking lot where some friendly transportation people ask if you'd like a taxi or shuttle. No one else was going towards midtown via shuttle so I asked for a ride to light rail. We weren't really given a time frame for pickup and there were perhaps 10 taxi's waiting, trying to cut each others lines. I should have sat in the converted cargo container bus stop in the shade but instead lingered near a parked shuttle's shade in line of sight in hopes that we'd finally leave. A different shuttle van arrives after ~30 min and they arrange for me to be included with the passengers going towards EWR. The driver stopped at the curb next to 45th St light rail station which doesn't really have any parking, blocking the right turn area, so I'm glad I travel light and can still scooch fast. Charge was $5. The shuttle doesn't leave with enough regular frequency for an early EWR/JFK flight.

Thanks for the detailed feedback on your experience.

Could you tell us what day of the week you went to the port and what time you arrived at the 34th St light rail station? Also what day of the week did you disembark?

I will be doing this in Jan from midtown Manhattan and will seriously consider doing Uber from the Hyatt or Courtyard in Jersey City if the weather is super cold. I've waited before at 34th St for a cab.

We've never recommended using the EWR shuttle for early flights. The one time I arrived in a snowstorm, I had to be pushy with the taxi dispatcher to put me in any cab that would drop off at the light rail or PATH.

Hello[emoji16] i'm sailing on the Anthem aug 30, and will be flying in a few days before to do some shopping in NYC. I'll be staying close to times square. What would be your recomendations on getting to the port? I think RC had a shuttle, but it looks like it won't be at the port until 1pm......

Thanks for your help[emoji3]

Aug 31 perhaps? Your best choice is a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo. Public transit is an option if you can manage your luggage, but it will be more time consuming - taxi to PATH, PATH to light rail, light rail to Bayonne, and cab/Uber into the port or taxi to PATH, PATH to Newport station, and Uber to the port. Post back if you want details. PATH and light rail would be empty on a Thur morning.

My husband and I are sailing on the Anthem on August 31st. I've booked our hotel for the 30th. I need help figuring out transportation from Laguardia Airport to the Country Inn and Suites near Cape Liberty and then from the port the day we disembark to Laguardia Airport. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Mary

My husband and I are sailing on the Anthem on August 31st. I've booked our hotel for the 30th. I need help figuring out transportation from Laguardia Airport to the Country Inn and Suites near Cape Liberty and then from the port the day we disembark to Laguardia Airport. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Mary

To go from NY to NJ you should book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo. What time is your return flight? You should book a car service for the return to LGA or go to the taxi dispatcher when you disembark to get transportation. Please note that LGA is under construction and this has affected the operation of ground transportation and caused delays. Please read the following thread about car service pickups. This thread also has a link to the LGA 411 thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2515765

Aug 31 perhaps? Your best choice is a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo. Public transit is an option if you can manage your luggage, but it will be more time consuming - taxi to PATH, PATH to light rail, light rail to Bayonne, and cab/Uber into the port or taxi to PATH, PATH to Newport station, and Uber to the port. Post back if you want details. PATH and light rail would be empty on a Thur morning.

Hi,

You are right, it's aug 31st[emoji85] would love the details, just so i know the options. With my sence of direction( or rather lack of it) i might just go for the easiest option, but who knows.... i might feel adventurous

Thanks for the detailed feedback on your experience.

Could you tell us what day of the week you went to the port and what time you arrived at the 34th St light rail station? Also what day of the week did you disembark?

I will be doing this in Jan from midtown Manhattan and will seriously consider doing Uber from the Hyatt or Courtyard in Jersey City if the weather is super cold. I've waited before at 34th St for a cab.

We've never recommended using the EWR shuttle for early flights. The one time I arrived in a snowstorm, I had to be pushy with the taxi dispatcher to put me in any cab that would drop off at the light rail or PATH.

Went to the port Thursday June 22 arriving around 10:30 (I think?), left the port Monday June 26 after 8:00 am.

Yes, I would seriously consider a rideshare to the port from a more populated area in bad weather. On the return - possibly even a car service leaving and dropping off at a PATH/Amtrak station. There isn't a lot of shelter at either location.

Hi,

You are right, it's aug 31st[emoji85] would love the details, just so i know the options. With my sence of direction( or rather lack of it) i might just go for the easiest option, but who knows.... i might feel adventurous

From the Times Square area you need to get to the west side of 6th Ave between 32nd and 33rd St. What hotel are you booked at?

The PATH elevator entrance is on the west side of 6th Ave just to the left of JC Penneys. You take PATH to Hoboken for $2.75. At Hoboken you take the elevator to the street level and go to the light rail, which is all the way to the left facing the train tracks. You buy a ticket from the machine for $2.25 and take the 8th St Hoboken train to 34th St. You call one of the cab companies or Uber to go into the port for $10 or less.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Any recent changes Exit 14A for driving to Cape Liberty? Is it still Exit 14A and then 440 or Avenue E? Driving to Port Sunday 7/23 from Parsipanny, NJ. Last year we went from Parsipanny to Exit 14A and took Avenue E. Any updates are appreciated.

Any recent changes Exit 14A for driving to Cape Liberty? Is it still Exit 14A and then 440 or Avenue E? Driving to Port Sunday 7/23 from Parsipanny, NJ. Last year we went from Parsipanny to Exit 14A and took Avenue E. Any updates are appreciated.

It's still the same. I think Avenue E has been working better for folks since it has no truck traffic.

It's still the same. I think Avenue E has been working better for folks since it has no truck traffic.

Hi it was mentioned to me in one of my posts I could ask you where is the best hotel area to stay at near the cruise port. My daughter and I are driving in from Ottawa the day before and thinking about going to Time Square that late afternoon. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you so much in advance.

Tami (Eastern Ontario)

Hi it was mentioned to me in one of my posts I could ask you where is the best hotel area to stay at near the cruise port. My daughter and I are driving in from Ottawa the day before and thinking about going to Time Square that late afternoon. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you so much in advance.

Tami (Eastern Ontario)

What is your exact cruise date? What is your hotel budget? 2 people? Type of beds? I'm assuming you are parking at the port, which gives you more flexibility.

How firm are your plans to go into NYC? This affects your choice of hotel because of the cost and accessibility of public transit to get into the city.

What is your exact cruise date? What is your hotel budget? 2 people? Type of beds? I'm assuming you are parking at the port, which gives you more flexibility.

How firm are your plans to go into NYC? This affects your choice of hotel because of the cost and accessibility of public transit to get into the city.

We sail November 11th 2017....under 200.00 US as that is 240 for me approx. It will be my daughter and myself and we can share a bed. Can be flexible going into New York City but would prefer not sitting in the hotel all night.

Tami (Eastern Ontario)

We sail November 11th 2017....under 200.00 US as that is 240 for me approx. It will be my daughter and myself and we can share a bed. Can be flexible going into New York City but would prefer not sitting in the hotel all night.

Tami (Eastern Ontario)

If you want to go into NYC for the evening, your most budget choice for 11/10 is the Robert Treat in downtown Newark which offers free parking, free wifi, and free breakfast. $130-140 USD plus tax with CAA discount available. They offer a free shuttle to Newark Penn Station where you can take NJ Transit to New York Penn Station for $5.25/pp each way. I have stayed at this hotel. If you come back late, spend the $5-10 to take a cab to the hotel instead of waiting for the shuttle.

You can also check the Secaucus NJ hotels that have bus service to Port Authority Bus Terminal, but they are likely to be pricier.

Newark Airport hotels will also be pricier, may charge you to park, and you will spend $13/pp each way to go on the train to New York Penn Station.