CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

My Uber experience from EWR to Cape Liberty Cruise port.

$22.90 to go from Newark airport level 2 terminal A to Cape Liberty cruise port. Requested at 9:13 am arrived at the cruise port at 9:32 am. Sunday, May 21

$25.51 to go from Cape Liberty cruise port to Newark airport. Requested at 9:38 am; arrived at Newark airport at 9:58 am. Sunday, May 28

Using Uber was very cost and time efficient. I would recommend to use this service to save time and money. Both drivers to and from the cruise port helped load luggage into their car. Note: I requested an Uber X, which easily handled 1 large check bag, 2 rolling carry on bags, and 2 duffel bags used as personal items.

There are-- through the cruise line. I've taken the airport express bus from midtown to EWR and then a cruise-line shuttle to Bayonne.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wasn't referring to cruise line transfers, but you have a valid point about cruise line transfers possibly being available.

From Cape Liberty to EWR there's a shared ride shuttle for $20 per person that requires no advance booking or reservations, but there isn't that type of shuttle service from EWR to Cape Liberty. That's what I was referring to.

Because you list shopping as a priority during your pre cruise stay, staying in the Paramus NJ area would be beneficial. It is closer to JFK than East Brunswick. Staying in East Brunswick and then driving to Elizabeth for shopping is going out of your way. Paramus is the shopping center of NJ. Garden State Plaza is the states largest mall. Paramus Park mall and Bergen Town Center offer lower prices. Route 4 and 17 are lined with stores. Be aware that on a Saturday, the traffic will be awful. There are car rental agencies in Paramus that are open on a Sunday and Air Brook limousine is a reliable service to get you to the cruise port.

On a weekend, the traffic on rts 17 & 4 is a nightmare. By the way, does Bergen Co. still have "Blue Laws" re: closing stores on Sundays.

To the Op, you are centrally located in NJ. Many shops near E. Brunswick. There's Rutgers U. & Woodridge Mall nearby. Or, take route 18/Parkway South and you can shop at Eatontown Mall and other stores along 18. If so desired and have time go further along route 18/Parkway South and you'll get to the Jersey beach Towns. Stop, walk the boardwalks and have lunch at one of the restaurants overlooking the beach.

Ps. Clothing and clothing related items is not subject to sales tax in NJ. Plenty of Staten Islanders cross the Outerbridge Crossing (bridge) to shop at the Eatontown Mall even with the high bridge toll.

... we've gone with the rental car option and booked a Hilton in East Brunswick .., taken the advice of sat nav and will remember to ask her prior to heading on the holiday about the toll charges.

... how to get to the Cape Liberty cruise port on the morning of Sunday 20th August ... need to get to Manhattan (Sunday 27th August) ... likely be in the vicinity of Times Square.

The rental car is being dropped off at Newark airport so any advice here would be good ... Like everything, opinions on the balance between cost and convenience would be appreciated.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Forums mobile app

Late Friday night, East Brunswick, NJ is about 1 hour/50 miles driving time/distance from JFK - it's an easy exit from car rental to get on the Belt Parkway west for Staten Island. You can do a "virtual drive" using Google Map/Navigation to get a good feel of what it's like, especially for the key exits/entrances & turns. Even if you do not have cellular data in the U.S. - you can download offline Google Maps for the areas & POI for driving, as a backup & program those into your smartphone for use ... always have a backup or contingency plan.

By the time you get out of immigration, luggage & thru custom, AirTrain shuttle to car rental & load up - a meal or supper might be appropriate as by the time you get to NJ, not much is going to be open - there is a JFK Travel Plaza with free parking, 7-11's and a food court, open 24/7 - alongside/off the airport service road ... coffee/pizza/burgers & sandwiches, etc. Otherwise, you are pretty much still looking at 24/7 fast food places at midnight like McDonalds, Burger Kings or Dunkin Donuts along your routing to NJ, so plan & research accordingly.

IMO, you are looking at an easy Saturday morning to relax at the hotel, maybe a little jetlag, then out to shopping for a few hours & back to the hotel for the evening - it doesn't make sense to travel a long distance, everyone posted here as great ideas ... summer weekend traffic can be mad crazy for an oversea visitor in a rental car. Woodridge shopping mall is big & close enough & a fairly simple/easy drive ... Paramus on Rt. 4/Rt. 17 can be an hour via the Garden State Parkway & more tolls, north of your hotel. Eatontown Mall is also 45 minutes to an hour away on the Parkway going south & can be packed with beach/seashore traffic as it is summer weekend.

Woodridge Mall, off the busy Rt. 1/Rt. 9 is a lot closer, about 10 to 15 minutes. There's Jersey Gardens Mall (outlets) a little further north for discount clothing & things, if that's your primary choice - via the Turnpike or "local" route on Rt. 1/9 going north (without tolls).

Dropping your rental car off at EWR airport, an Uber to Cape Liberty seemed to be an option ... you should be able to arrange to get pickup at the gate/entrance to the car rental or at the AIrTrain station - cheaper than car service or taxi (have those phone #'s available as backup). That's again, assuming you will have cellular/WiFi access here.

Post-cruise, from CL to Manhattan's Times Square - as you said, between cost & convenience, I would suggest getting car service (Carmel or Dial 7) ... basically curbside to curbside.

Feel free to incorporate everyone's ideas & tips; and, ask for clarifications & more questions. You still have plenty of time to put together the "master" plan.

A few years ago, DH forgot his iPad. Horrors! But he wanted it because he had to be in contact with work. Anyway, the nearest mall we found with an Apple store was the Mall at Short Hills. We were staying at the Hampton Inn by EWR. It was maybe 30-45 minutes by car. What a place! If you like to stroll a mall like we do, this is the place! But to shop, no. Lots of designer stores, and way over our budget. For shopping, we go to the Jersey Gardens Mall, across the street from the Country Inn & Suites and the Embassy Suites.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My Uber experience from EWR to Cape Liberty Cruise port.

$22.90 to go from Newark airport level 2 terminal A to Cape Liberty cruise port. Requested at 9:13 am arrived at the cruise port at 9:32 am. Sunday, May 21

$25.51 to go from Cape Liberty cruise port to Newark airport. Requested at 9:38 am; arrived at Newark airport at 9:58 am. Sunday, May 28

Using Uber was very cost and time efficient. I would recommend to use this service to save time and money. Both drivers to and from the cruise port helped load luggage into their car. Note: I requested an Uber X, which easily handled 1 large check bag, 2 rolling carry on bags, and 2 duffel bags used as personal items.

Thank you, that's really useful. We've used uber in the UK and it's working well so I'll definitely consider that.

On a weekend, the traffic on rts 17 & 4 is a nightmare. By the way, does Bergen Co. still have "Blue Laws" re: closing stores on Sundays.

To the Op, you are centrally located in NJ. Many shops near E. Brunswick. There's Rutgers U. & Woodridge Mall nearby. Or, take route 18/Parkway South and you can shop at Eatontown Mall and other stores along 18. If so desired and have time go further along route 18/Parkway South and you'll get to the Jersey beach Towns. Stop, walk the boardwalks and have lunch at one of the restaurants overlooking the beach.

Ps. Clothing and clothing related items is not subject to sales tax in NJ. Plenty of Staten Islanders cross the Outerbridge Crossing (bridge) to shop at the Eatontown Mall even with the high bridge toll.

I'll check those out, thank you.

I've just realised I hit reply twice and now this post - sorry! Thank you for all the comments so far. I'll check out those malls in our research and the advice on food and traffic is also appreciated. The help is definitely making this so much easier than me googling around endlessly looking at old posts and threads from other sites.

We will be driving in this coming Wednesday and staying at the Ramada on Frontage Road. Is there anything to do around there (or within a 30 minute drive) on a Wednesday night - such as malls, restaurants? Thanks.

(edit - I just found "The Mills at Jersey Gardens" which looks like a great mall - 15 minute drive)

And is rush hour a really horrible time to arrive? We are driving from Canada and part of the reason this was an attractive option was not having to get up in the middle of the night to get to an airport. We were hoping to leave around 8:00 am which would put us in the area around 5:00 ish - maybe a bit later depending on stops along the way.

Edited by leela14

We will be driving in this coming Wednesday and staying at the Ramada on Frontage Road. Is there anything to do around there (or within a 30 minute drive) on a Wednesday night - such as malls, restaurants? Thanks.

(edit - I just found "The Mills at Jersey Gardens" which looks like a great mall - 15 minute drive)

And is rush hour a really horrible time to arrive? We are driving from Canada and part of the reason this was an attractive option was not having to get up in the middle of the night to get to an airport. We were hoping to leave around 8:00 am which would put us in the area around 5:00 ish - maybe a bit later depending on stops along the way.

Which route are you taking to get to the Ramada? I80 to NJ Turnpike south or I78? There will be traffic, but it should be moving inbound unless there is an accident. My impression is that the roads to avoid are I280 and the Garden State Parkway.

Jersey Gardens Mall would be a good destination - just one exit from exit 14 to exit 13A on the NJ Turnpike. Please note that if you approach the Ramada from turnpike exit 14, you need to be on the right side of the toll booths because Frontage Road is almost an immediate exit with a small sign and you could miss it if you're not in the right lane. At exit 13A the Jersey Gardens Mall is clearly marked.

Which route are you taking to get to the Ramada? I80 to NJ Turnpike south or I78? There will be traffic, but it should be moving inbound unless there is an accident. My impression is that the roads to avoid are I280 and the Garden State Parkway.

Jersey Gardens Mall would be a good destination - just one exit from exit 14 to exit 13A on the NJ Turnpike. Please note that if you approach the Ramada from turnpike exit 14, you need to be on the right side of the toll booths because Frontage Road is almost an immediate exit with a small sign and you could miss it if you're not in the right lane. At exit 13A the Jersey Gardens Mall is clearly marked.

Great info - thanks so much!! As for the route, I was just going to go with whatever the nav systems says lol. I'll keep an eye on the ones you said to avoid though.

I saw there was a Century 21 not far from the hotel as well, wouldn't mind checking that out as we don't have them in Canada. Maybe just do that and grab a bite to eat and then rest up for the night. Hmmm, looking at the map, is that Century 21 in the same mall/area as the Jersey Gardens Mall - looks it may be. Awesome.

Jersey Gardens is big and has a lot of stores as well as a movie theater, so there's a lot to do. It's not upscale like Short Hills, but it has a wide variety.

For the future, it looks like Bayonne approved a hotel to be put at the South Cove Commons shopping center. The developer, the Alessi Group, is saying it will be a small Hilton (120 rooms).

https://jerseydigs.com/south-cove-commons-redevelopment-brings-hotel-bayonne/

... I was just going to go with whatever the nav systems says lol. I'll keep an eye on the ones you said to avoid though.

Yes, Century 21 is at "The Mills at Jersey Gardens" outlet malls - just off the NJ Turnpike, opposite EWR / Newark Int'l Airport. An easy visual / landmark if you are driving along the Turnpike, heading south is the big "Ikea" store, just north of "The Mills"

Be advised that GPS/Navigation seemed to get confused in that area, for whatever reasons, typically as you are exiting and/or getting onto the Turnpike & local routes - (Rt. 1/ Rt. 9) - pay close attention to those signs as well as your GPS Mapping app, when in doubt - follow the road signs instead - traffic near the outlet malls are either going to/coming from there - heading back onto the Turnpike and/or toward the airport. Slow it down - there are enough places further up/down to do a legal U-turn or worst, take the next exit on the turnpike & come around.

Assumed that you are coming from the Ontario area down thru central NY (Syracuse, Rochester, Binghamton, Scranton into NJ via I-80. For an afternoon drive toward your hotel/cruise point - unless real-time traffic navigation is saying otherwise, your easiest & best approach is to take I-287 South @ Exit 43 on I-80 East for Morristown ... along that route before you take the exit for I-78 East is "The Mall at Short Hills" (that's high end & designer shopping, mostly)

Otherwise, if traffic is flowing smoothly (most of the PM congestions are outbound, leaving the NYC area for the suburbs, unless ...) - continue to I-78 East, use the Express lanes. Frontage Road is Exit 58B on I-78 East. That's an area just north of Newark Airport with a web of service roadways and turns - this approach would put you just 1/2 mile from the hotel.

As noted above, The Mall at Short Hills is great for upscale shoppers vs. Jersey Gardens for bargain & outlet buying.

Jersey Gardens is big and has a lot of stores as well as a movie theater, so there's a lot to do. It's not upscale like Short Hills, but it has a wide variety.

For the future, it looks like Bayonne approved a hotel to be put at the South Cove Commons shopping center. The developer, the Alessi Group, is saying it will be a small Hilton (120 rooms).

https://jerseydigs.com/south-cove-commons-redevelopment-brings-hotel-bayonne/

A hotel in Bayonne will bring on a whole new range of questions about NY sightseeing! I wonder if they will be able to offer Park/cruise packages and a port shuttle? I also wonder who will stay in the hotel on all the nights each month that are not precruise nights. At least all the carless folks who want to buy wine will now have a hotel/wine option close to the port.

Wow this is fabulous info!! Thanks so much for taking the time, I will be taking a screen shot of this to save to my phone.

Yeah I've gotten in trouble following nav systems before, I will literally drive into the ocean if it tells me to do so. ;p Thankfully my husband and I will be sharing the driving so he should stop me from driving into any bodies of water lol. It's amazing how easy it is to rely solely on tech, well for me anyway.

Yes, Century 21 is at "The Mills at Jersey Gardens" outlet malls - just off the NJ Turnpike, opposite EWR / Newark Int'l Airport. An easy visual / landmark if you are driving along the Turnpike, heading south is the big "Ikea" store, just north of "The Mills"

Be advised that GPS/Navigation seemed to get confused in that area, for whatever reasons, typically as you are exiting and/or getting onto the Turnpike & local routes - (Rt. 1/ Rt. 9) - pay close attention to those signs as well as your GPS Mapping app, when in doubt - follow the road signs instead - traffic near the outlet malls are either going to/coming from there - heading back onto the Turnpike and/or toward the airport. Slow it down - there are enough places further up/down to do a legal U-turn or worst, take the next exit on the turnpike & come around.

Assumed that you are coming from the Ontario area down thru central NY (Syracuse, Rochester, Binghamton, Scranton into NJ via I-80. For an afternoon drive toward your hotel/cruise point - unless real-time traffic navigation is saying otherwise, your easiest & best approach is to take I-287 South @ Exit 43 on I-80 East for Morristown ... along that route before you take the exit for I-78 East is "The Mall at Short Hills" (that's high end & designer shopping, mostly)

Otherwise, if traffic is flowing smoothly (most of the PM congestions are outbound, leaving the NYC area for the suburbs, unless ...) - continue to I-78 East, use the Express lanes. Frontage Road is Exit 58B on I-78 East. That's an area just north of Newark Airport with a web of service roadways and turns - this approach would put you just 1/2 mile from the hotel.

As noted above, The Mall at Short Hills is great for upscale shoppers vs. Jersey Gardens for bargain & outlet buying.

Driving up from DC June 21 for the June 22 Anthem cruise. Will be leaving around 8pm and looking for a clean, comfortable place to sleep. No frills needed. Hoping to sleep in until 9ish and then head to the port. We scheduled an 11:30 check in. Any suggestions on where we should stay? Thank you!!

(I asked a similar question a few months ago, but now we've narrowed down our schedule.) :)

Driving up from DC June 21 for the June 22 Anthem cruise. Will be leaving around 8pm and looking for a clean, comfortable place to sleep. No frills needed. Hoping to sleep in until 9ish and then head to the port. We scheduled an 11:30 check in. Any suggestions on where we should stay? Thank you!!

(I asked a similar question a few months ago, but now we've narrowed down our schedule.) :)

My suggestion would be to look at hotels in the Hightstown, Cranbury, East Windsor area with easy access to exit 8 or 8A on the turnpike. It would be a 45 minute drive to the port the next morning if you leave around 9:30 am. When my mother was alive and lived in Hightstown, we did this trip many times. I have also stayed in many of the hotels in this area. My budget hotel recommendation would be Days Inn, which is right at exit 8. A second choice would be the Ramada Plaza Conference Center in Jamesburg at exit 8A, which is one exit closer to the port. This hotel has been a Crowne Plaza and a Holiday Inn in former lives and is located right on the turnpike.

You will do yourselves a favor to get off the turnpike the previous night and not try to find a hotel at EWR in the dark. A cheap hotel at EWR is just that - a cheap hotel. A cheap hotel around exit 8 or 8A will be much nicer.

Just a reminder traffic on the turnpike on a week day is very unpredictable, this Thursday it took me 2 hrs to get to Bayonne from exit 11 at 930am, so plan accordingly, lots of construction going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have been reading this thread for the last few months trying to figure out the best plan for our upcoming cruise on the Breakaway.

The plan for us in to drive down from Montreal on the Saturday, stay in hotel in NJ with parking one night pre cruise and leave the car there for 10 days. Car service to ship. After the cruise stay 2 nights in Manhattan then car service to car at hotel in NJ.

Country Inn in Elizabeth offers park and cruise for 10 days for less than parking at the pier.

I want to avoid driving in the city. My husband wants to do it but the co-pilot-human-GPS assisting the GPS (me) does not want to deal with being responsible for the stress of the whole thing. Could have always let him drive, not comment, not try to help but can't help myself. I would have to be drunk to master this.

I'm the planner. He usually just wings it.

So does my plan make any sense? Car service suggestion bookable in advance if possible?

The idea being to avoid stress, not to save on every step.

I prefer spending a bit more to avoid the hassle and stress.

Edited by knitdiva
Correct mistake

Just a reminder traffic on the turnpike on a week day is very unpredictable, this Thursday it took me 2 hrs to get to Bayonne from exit 11 at 930am, so plan accordingly, lots of construction going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Good point. Turnpike traffic can be unpredictable. My Newark Airport recommendation would be the park, sleep, cruise package from trinityreservations.com at the Ramada Plaza - $219 tax included for hotel, 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation. The hotel alone is $130 prepaid tax included and $160 not prepaid tax included plus $16 to park. Parking at the port is $180 for 9 days. I used this package last Feb and was very happy with it. I was in my car headed back to Boston at 8:30 am.

I have been reading this thread for the last few months trying to figure out the best plan for our upcoming cruise on the Breakaway.

The plan for us in to drive down from Montreal on the Friday, stay in hotel in NJ with parking one night pre cruise and leave the car there for 10 days. Car service to ship. After the cruise stay 2 nights in Manhattan then car service to car at hotel in NJ.

Country Inn in Elizabeth offers park and cruise for 10 days for less than parking at the pier.

I want to avoid driving in the city. My husband wants to do it but the co-pilot-human-GPS assisting the GPS (me) does not want to deal with being responsible for the stress of the whole thing. Could have always let him drive, not comment, not try to help but can't help myself. I would have to be drunk to master this.

I'm the planner. He usually just wings it.

So does my plan make any sense? Car service suggestion bookable in advance if possible?

The idea being to avoid stress, not to save on every step.

I prefer spending a bit more to avoid the hassle and stress.

I think your plan is reasonable.

You can save a lot of money by using trinityreservations.com for Newark Airport and Cruiseport where you can get a park/sleep at the Ramada Plaza for $151 tax included with 14 days parking, which is considerably less than the Country Inns offer.

For a car service get quotes from Dial7 and Carmellimo.

You're driving down Friday and your cruise leaves Sunday morning. Are you spending 2 nights precruise in NJ?