CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Great! Thanks for the info! I think we will go with ES since we do have HH Honors. Is there anything to do around the airport until my late afternoon flight that you could suggest?

There is nothing to do around the airport. My best suggestion is to speak to Embassy Suites about returning to them and leaving your luggage with them until your flight. This would leave you hands free to wander the mall again for the day, which has to be better than sitting in an airport terminal. The mall does have a movie theater.

Great! Thanks for the info! I think we will go with ES since we do have HH Honors. Is there anything to do around the airport until my late afternoon flight that you could suggest?

We have the same problem as our flight isn't until 6:30pm. When we have come in to Ft Lauderdale we have done one of the RCI tours that drops you at the airport and they are a good way to 'kill time', so this time we are doing their New York sightseeing trip which drops us at EWR. I don't expect we will get out to see much, but at least the luggage is safe on the bus and it is something to do. I think its suitable for domestic flights after 3pm and international after 4pm, so I guess they drop you off about 1:30 - 2. We doing this mid Sept, so I'll report back how it was if you like.

Simon

Hi all,

We're just over one week away from our trip to New York and cruise on Celebrity Summit. I wanted to check back in as locals may be able to offer up to date travel advice.

We arrive on the evening of Friday 18th August at about 8pm into JFK. We have a rental car and I need to get to East Brunswick. We're in no massive rush and the purpose of the car is to allow us to get around easily over the proceeding two days.

The car has sat nav. Any thoughts on routes to avoid at this time of the year.

Thank you, Tom.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Forums mobile app

I would use either Google Navigation or the Waze app. Either will use real time navigation to figure your route depending on actual traffic conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. The traffic in NYC is always in the land of what's happening now.

Thank you for the replies. I've just been doing some old school mapping just in case technology fails us. I've noticed rolls in and around the area. Some of the roads we are likely to be going on include the I-278 and I-95. How do you pay for these tolls, are they cash or cashless ones?

Thank you for the replies. I've just been doing some old school mapping just in case technology fails us. I've noticed rolls in and around the area. Some of the roads we are likely to be going on include the I-278 and I-95. How do you pay for these tolls, are they cash or cashless ones?

If you rent a car, you probably should rent an Ezpass as well. If not, you should clearly understand what the rental car company would charge you after the fact.

Verrazano Bridge - cashless - pay by mail. $17

NJ Turnpike (I95) - still has cash lanes

Where will you be driving from East Brunswick?

... I've just been doing some old school mapping just in case technology fails us ... How do you pay for these tolls, are they cash or cashless ones?

As I recall, you are coming from abroad & landing JFK on a Friday evening, which is peak arrrival/departure time for oversea flights, both Euro & Asia - expect immigration/border control to be very busy - fill out your declaration& arrival card, follow the signage - there's APC (Automated Passport Control ... I don't believe you will be using) Once you cleared, wait & retrieve your checked luggage & then proceed thru custom - and, out to ground transportation, probably 90+ minutes after wheels down & doors disarmed at the parked gate.

Checked - supper or dinner plan, whatever is available at JFK's terminal, land-side only, depending on terminal. Looking at 9:30 to 10 PM. There is a JFK (Service) Plaza with fast/comfort food option on the Service Road, including gas (petro) station & free parking - 24/7/365 - better than getting off at a random highway exit & lost ... it is near the rental car circles.

Luggage cart aren't free, rental was (is ??) $7 the last time for us - but, easier to haul 3 to 4 big suitcases + backpacks, etc. and you can take it along to ride the free AirTrain over to Car Rental pickup.

Since you have rental car GPS navigation, you should (I highly recommend) also use rental's PlatePass program, that is EZ-Pass compliant, mounted in a RFID shielded box, remove cover & remount directly on front windshield to use. For a 2 days rental, Hertz charged $6 a day for it (others should be same or similar) plus the actual cash toll rates billed/charged back to your credit card on file.

It will speed you thru the VZ Bridge crossing from Brooklyn-Queens (via the Belt Parkway route - at 10 or 11 PM in the evening, there's still summer traffic, maybe lots of it, but it will be moving along - easiest path to get to New Brunswick, NJ - as that one-way toll crossing is Toll-by-Mail and EZ-Pass only.

If you opt to NOT rent the PlatePass or equivalent, they will still bill you the cash toll rate, plus + an administrative fee, so it will end up costly more.

Google Maps/Navigation can be set to use already downloaded offline maps ... in case you do not have cellular data coverage in NY area. Download & pre-install the program before flying to NY and give it a workout to get familar with it. Waze is what I use 95% of the time, the data feed is used by Google Map - but it requires an active cellular connection.

With either free App, and (at least for) Hertz's GPS navigation system, it can be set to skip or avoid toll roads ... slower & longer time. Your travel partner/companion can be co-pilot and double-check the map directions for you, depending on how you plan to use these gadgets.

Hotel addresses as destination are typically pre-programmed into or stored as "speed dial" on rental car GPS system. If you plan to run around that area on Saturday, going to Jersey Gardens outlet mall, etc. - you can take the slower but scenic, toll-free local roads. US 1 North is the local route & will take you all the way to EWR & Jersey Garden ... and an Ikea store just off the NJ Turnpike/I-95 as a key landmark.

Possibly the most useful post I have ever had messaged back to me. Thank you so much! I will be printing this.

Everyone are here to help & share.

Here's the regular EZ-Pass and the car rental's PlatePass.

The velco strips are on it, just line up & mount. Drive carefully, have a safe trip & happy cruising.

9ae249f306e3a771ae2b8e2d35bd14f4.jpgaa16f1da2773f4980272d8b1319443f3.jpg8ea063c039edbad1f37cf74252b085f4.jpg

on AT&T 4G, T-Mo/Project Fi or WiFi via Blu R1HD w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

Coming back the taxi dispatcher at the port offers shared airport shuttles for $20/pp.

Can anyone advise if there is a bus service from Cape Liberty back to JFK airport. We are not in a hurry to get to JFK as we have the Hilton booked for day use, however will do express departure and walk off Anthem of the Seas early and just need to work out how to get back to JFK without using a car service or taxi. I'm thinking that if we can get to Newark then there will be a bus service there to JFK?

Can anyone advise if there is a bus service from Cape Liberty back to JFK airport. We are not in a hurry to get to JFK as we have the Hilton booked for day use, however will do express departure and walk off Anthem of the Seas early and just need to work out how to get back to JFK without using a car service or taxi. I'm thinking that if we can get to Newark then there will be a bus service there to JFK?

What time is your flight from JFK?

There are 2 options - train and bus, but both require a transfer in Manhattan at New York Penn Station or Port Authority Bus Terminal and the train requires another transfer at Jamaica to the JFK Airtrain.

1). NJ Transit train from Newark Airport Station to New York Penn Station - $13/pp

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Long Island Railroad(LIRR) train to Jamaica - $7.50 off peak - http://lirr42.mta.info/

Airtrain - $5

I can help with the NJ Transit questions, but others need to help with the LIRR and JFK Airtrain questions.

2) Airport bus to JFK with transfer at Port Authority Bus Terminal - $28 - https://www.nycairporter.com/ourservices/jfk-to-newark-airport/

Am I correct in interpreting that your hotel day room is near JFK, not EWR? There's no bus service from Cape Liberty to JFK other than the possibility that your cruise line may offer a transfer. If your hotel is near EWR, then bus service from Cape Liberty to JFK is of no use to you. I'm also a bit confused about your doing an early walk off departure while saying you're in no hurry.

As far as bus service from EWR to JFK, there are a couple of companies, ETS Air Shuttle and All County Express that offer shared-ride van service (there are no direct service buses...you would have to change buses in Manhattan) from EWR to JFK. There are links to their website on this page : http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airport-connections.html . Taking their vans eliminates the need to change buses in Manhattan.

Edited by njhorseman

We will be arriving LGA on Friday, September 29, shortly after 10 a.m. We have reservations at Cambria Suites located at 30 W 46th Street (unless we find a better option on hotwire/priceline). The hotel recommends a taxi to the hotel. We will be going to the Brooklyn pier the next day. We hope to do a HOHO the day we arrive.... and maybe do some sightseeing the morning before going to the pier. Any recommendations of what we should try to see first? We would like to see 9/11 memorial but that is not a must-do. Looking for best transportation to get to here. This is a first-time visit to New York. Also, the hotel recommended subway to get to pier. I am not sure I like this recommendation. Any thoughts?

We will be arriving LGA on Friday, September 29, shortly after 10 a.m. We have reservations at Cambria Suites located at 30 W 46th Street (unless we find a better option on hotwire/priceline). The hotel recommends a taxi to the hotel. We will be going to the Brooklyn pier the next day. We hope to do a HOHO the day we arrive.... and maybe do some sightseeing the morning before going to the pier. Any recommendations of what we should try to see first? We would like to see 9/11 memorial but that is not a must-do. Looking for best transportation to get to here. This is a first-time visit to New York. Also, the hotel recommended subway to get to pier. I am not sure I like this recommendation. Any thoughts?

Taxi to the hotel from LGA is OK. For a fixed price fare you need a car service or Uber.

Do you just want to see the 911 Memorial or do you want to buy 911 Memorial museum tickets? The Memorial is open until 9 pm and you should do that on Friday evening without luggage. The Hoho would be fine earlier on Friday. Your hotel is close to the 47-50th Rockefeller Center subway stop where you can take any train downtown to W 4th St and transfer to the E train to the World Trade Center.

No subway to the pier. Take a cab or car service. If you're interested in the MBTA ferry to the Red Hook pier from Wall St Pier 11, we can provide more details.

Also do some research to narrow down the things you really want to do and see. For example, do you want to go up the Empire State or the Top of the Rock or the Freedom Tower? The first two are close to your hotel and could be done first thing Sat morning. Also Times Square is a short walk from your hotel.

Do you just want to see the 911 Memorial or do you want to buy 911 Memorial museum tickets? The Memorial is open until 9 pm and you should do that on Friday evening without luggage. Let me ask please, we can go to the 911 Memorial until 9 p.m.? I thought it closed earlier. Is this the one with the $24 entry fee? I've been a bit confused on that and the 911 Tribute with a different entry fee.

The Hoho would be fine earlier on Friday. Your hotel is close to the 47-50th Rockefeller Center subway stop where you can take any train downtown to W 4th St and transfer to the E train to the World Trade Center. Do I understand correctly that the HOHO does not allow us to HOHO at the 911 Memorial?

No subway to the pier. Take a cab or car service. If you're interested in the MBTA ferry to the Red Hook pier from Wall St Pier 11, we can provide more details. I think we'll take cab or car service here.

Also do some research to narrow down the things you really want to do and see. For example, do you want to go up the Empire State or the Top of the Rock or the Freedom Tower? The first two are close to your hotel and could be done first thing Sat morning. Also Times Square is a short walk from your hotel. I think we may like to go to Top of the Rock or the Empire State, leaning toward the Top of the Rock.... certainly open to recommendations.

Another thing we are thinking of doing is riding the HOHO for a night tour. Is this worthwhile if we have rode during the day?

I appreciate your help with my planning....I think I'm driving my DH a bit crazy with this.

Another thing we are thinking of doing is riding the HOHO for a night tour. Is this worthwhile if we have rode during the day?

I appreciate your help with my planning....I think I'm driving my DH a bit crazy with this.

The 911 Museum is $24. The 911 Memorial is an 8 acre park. These are both on the original World Trade Center site. The 911 Tribute Museum is on Greenwich St. research all three of these to see what might suit and check the security requirements.

You can Hoho to the 911 Memorial, but you might not be able to Hoho back unless you buy tickets that include the night tour. The subway would be the fastest and cheapest way back. The R or W train from Cortlandt St or South Ferry or the R or W will take you directly back to Times Square and you can walk to your hotel.

The Top of the Rock opens at 8 am, so you could do that early Sat morning.

The 9/11 Memorial is the one with all the names engraved, it encompasses the actual footprints of two towers. The museum houses the artifacts saved from the twin towers, those who lost their lives, first responders and recovery workers. The museum is very graphic. I myself have not visited, I don't know if I ever will. The memorial is a very beautiful and solemn place to pay your respects. You will also be in the vicinity of Wall Street and you can see the famous bull statue and also the little girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi

i am sailing on the Anthem on 8/31 for the 9 day cruise north to Canada. I will be driving from Philadelphia the day before the cruise. Like to know what hotels that is close to the port that has parking, shuttle to and from the port. You help would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Hi

i am sailing on the Anthem on 8/31 for the 9 day cruise north to Canada. I will be driving from Philadelphia the day before the cruise. Like to know what hotels that is close to the port that has parking, shuttle to and from the port. You help would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Trinityreservations.com has a Park sleep fly for $219 tax included at the Ramada Plaza. Embassy suites and Country Inns in Elizabeth offer Park fly cruise packages for about $100 more tax included.

Trinityreservations.com has a Park sleep fly for $219 tax included at the Ramada Plaza. Embassy suites and Country Inns in Elizabeth offer Park fly cruise packages for about $100 more tax included.

Thank you

i will book the Ramada

Mark

Thank you

i will book the Ramada

Mark

I used this package last year and was very happy with it. It's run by Trinity (not run by the Ramada), but they have arranged to use the Ramada shuttles to take folks to Cape Liberty. I was in a very nice 14-16 person bus. Car parking is gated with 7x24 security.

Hi all! Cruising out of Cape Liberty and thinking about transportation. I used miles for our flights, and my only option was LGA. I'm finding that Lyft/Uber are probably the cheapest. Any other thoughts/suggestions? Are there shuttles to Cape Liberty?