Fee for afternoon tea on Regal?

abisha

The regular afternoon tea conducted in the MDR is free of charge.

The Royal Afternoon Tea is a separate event (ask for details at Vines) and is $10pp, a bit more ($20pp?) with champagne. It's conducted in the seating area in the atrium under Bellini's and limited to approximately 24 guests. There is a hostess that will go over all of the details with you during the event, as well as describe the specialty blends of teas you are enjoying. The finger foods are much larger and of higher quality. I rather quite enjoyed it myself, although some prefer the complimentary afternoon tea conducted in the Symphony Dining Room.

When asked the difference between the two events offered, the complimentary afternoon tea and the Royal Afternoon Tea, this was my response:

The regular version involved several waiters walking around with large platters of small finger sandwiches etc. and pots of standard brewed tea that came from a very large stainless container, and everyone was seated in masse at the large tables in the MDR. It was more like a gathering than it was a true social event, and the noise level got a little high with all those in that section of the MDR talking at once.

The Royal version was by far a lot more intimate, seating was at small tables and couches for 2 or 4 people, and had a much higher quality of larger finger sandwiches and scones served on a tiered display with each table (usually just two people) getting their own individual assortment of tiered goodies, as well as three different types of herbal and specially brewed teas. This was served by one or two dedicated waiters and a hostess (Carmen) that gave details during the event. Each guest was given a ribbon-tied scroll of the event.

Both offered unlimited refills of sandwiches and beverages if desired. Either one would be fine depending on whether it would be worth it for someone to pay the $10 for the enhanced version and how many people you wanted to socialize with during tea.

Here are pictures of the Royal Afternoon Tea from when I was aboard Royal Princess:

11358383934_148d7780e2_c.jpg

11358415014_3b69340a96_c.jpg

11527809984_cc58e3597c_c.jpg

11358415034_dfc2fe719b_c.jpg

11358415064_7fce54232a_c.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

A real afternoon tea is sure worth $10 to me. Beats driving 25 miles to a Ritz Carlton.

Agreed. Looks amazingly elegant and luxurious.

$10 =worth it to me.

Thanks for the photos Dave!

Norris

Agreed. Looks amazingly elegant and luxurious.

$10 =worth it to me.

Thanks for the photos Dave!

Norris

I'm with you Norris.....:):):)

A real afternoon tea is sure worth $10 to me. Beats driving 25 miles to a Ritz Carlton.

There's always the tea kettle and a couple of bags of Lipton.....:D:D:D

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

• 3 years later...
If your desire is to enjoy the scones at a table for 8' date=' do the regular. If you happen to be on the Royal or Regal and want to do a special "just us" afternoon, do the $10 event.[/quote']

Sounds right. We have yet to sail a Royal class ship but they are moving Royal Princess to the west coast so maybe one of these days. We enjoy the regular afternoon tea and actually enjoy meeting the other cruises so most likely would still stick with the free version. For many people I would imagine the $10 Royal Tea would be something they would jump on.

We experienced a very nice version on two other cruise lines. On Celebrity, it was $25 and allowed children. On Disney it was an adult only affair that started free, and then prices rose to $5, later $10, and ultimately $20. At that point they discontinued the afternoon tea as it was suddenly being rather poorly attended. Really? What a surprise! Yes, it was a lovely afternoon break, but $20 per person for finger sandwiches and scones with a dish of pudding that we didn't even like? I suspect they were looking for an excuse to get rid of tea in order to provide a longer time for their very popular brunch.

Bottom line, I find the free tea to be very nice. If you don't like the tea that is offered, you can ask for any of the teas that are available at the buffet. It is a nice time to meet some other cruisers.

Just off the Emerald and afternoon tea (no charge) was in the Botticelli Dining Room. They passed around finger sandwiches on trays: smoked salmon, egg salad, chicken salad, vegetable, ham and cheese, cheese and tomato, etc. on various breads: toast, roll, croissant, etc. There were at least 5-6 different varieties offered with slight changes each day. Pastries were also passed around on trays and there were fancy cookies, tarts, cakes, etc. The raisin scones were passed around separately. Didn't try the scones as I don't care for raisins. Sandwiches and pastries were very good. The first day I had the regular Lipton tea but after that I requested English Breakfast and they brought a pot to the table. As I looked around I saw others with pots of various blends as well. It was lovely.

The Royal afternoon tea is only offered on sea days. My DW who loves teas went once on her own. She wanted to go a second time and I went along. Definitely worth the $10.00 upcharge, especially given what we have paid for teas in port or near our home.

I suspect that the afternoon tea on the Emerald would not have been so nice, with the large selection of goodies, if there were an up-charge Royal Tea offered.

On the Regal, I will consider the Royal Afternoon Tea, as I have never actually done anything quite like that.

I might have to practice lifting the teacup with my pinky properly extended!!!

I am not seeing other pastries and cookies????

Just off the Emerald and afternoon tea (no charge) was in the Botticelli Dining Room. They passed around finger sandwiches on trays: smoked salmon, egg salad, chicken salad, vegetable, ham and cheese, cheese and tomato, etc. on various breads: toast, roll, croissant, etc. There were at least 5-6 different varieties offered with slight changes each day. Pastries were also passed around on trays and there were fancy cookies, tarts, cakes, etc. The raisin scones were passed around separately. Didn't try the scones as I don't care for raisins. Sandwiches and pastries were very good. The first day I had the regular Lipton tea but after that I requested English Breakfast and they brought a pot to the table. As I looked around I saw others with pots of various blends as well. It was lovely.

When we were on the Regal (regular MDR tea), they offered plain scones in addition to the raisin ones -- my choice since I don't do raisins either (these aren't the ones they usually carry around so you have to ask). On another ship (probably the Crown) - just the raisin variety (which I get and push out the raisins :D ).

We love doing the afternoon tea, but will usually only go if we're planning on skipping MDR dinner that night - we can't do tea at 3:00 and go for dinner a few hours later!

I attended the Royal Tea on the Regal and was disappointed that we had to share a small table with 2 strangers. The seats were very close together and the table small....felt like we were sitting on top of each other. In addition, it was quite loud in the atrium with others milling around and a guy playing a keyboard very loudly. Then it must be paid for on top of all this.

I much prefer the "regular" tea in the MDR. You can sit with others, but are far enough apart to be comfortable. The music is either a soft piano or strings. No one else is in the MDR so it's a much quieter atmosphere. And....it's free! :hearteyes:

Sounds right. We have yet to sail a Royal class ship but they are moving Royal Princess to the west coast so maybe one of these days. We enjoy the regular afternoon tea and actually enjoy meeting the other cruises so most likely would still stick with the free version. For many people I would imagine the $10 Royal Tea would be something they would jump on.

Thrak my friend you must try afternoon tea on the Fabulous Rowboat you will love it!!

No food at all just hi quality tea :whiskey-glass::cocktail::bottle-pop::wine-glass: ...:o :D

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

The organic and regular mighty leaf tea is included on the coffee card so I get it every day anyway. Can you still get afternoon tea in your cabin if you are an elite tier on the Royal?

Yes, the regular one, not the extra cost one.