daily service charge

megann831

Is the daily service charge the same as tips? I was talking to someone I booked with at PriceLine and they said it was an automatic charge and were not sure if it could be removed. On all of our prior cruises we've been able to take off that charge and tip in person or change the amount we're charged. Can you still do that?

From NCL's FAQs:

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge? The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account. Are service charges across the board for all guests? All guests 3 years or older. How do I prepay my service charges? Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added. At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added? They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing. Why would I prepay my service charges? The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable? Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable. If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board? Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

What about Tipping?

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals. Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

Is the daily service charge the same as tips? I was talking to someone I booked with at PriceLine and they said it was an automatic charge and were not sure if it could be removed. On all of our prior cruises we've been able to take off that charge and tip in person or change the amount we're charged. Can you still do that?

Service Charge:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Tipping:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

As stated in the previous post, you are expected to keep it in place, unless:

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

As for people leaving cash, we tend to leave extra at specialty restaurants, and for bartenders, but that is not necessary.

Yes you can go to guest services and have it removed no questions asked. I saw a lot of tips on dinner tables when I sailed in Dec. so I think many people remove those auto tips and tip the people that actually serve them.

Tips left on tables don't mean that people have removed the DSC. A lot of people leave extra on top of the auto charge.

Yes you can go to guest services and have it removed no questions asked. I saw a lot of tips on dinner tables when I sailed in Dec. so I think many people remove those auto tips and tip the people that actually serve them.

We leave our DSC same and always tip the people who actually serve us just like on land. This is a poor assumption.

I just don't understand why they just don't go ahead and make it part of the price you are quoted up front? Makes it seem like an additional price on top of the price you just paid since it is mandatory anyways? I pay the DSC. Just wish it was all combined...

I totally agree with you. It would be so much easier,and all paid for before we cruise!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with you. It would be so much easier,and all paid for before we cruise!!!!!!!!

Ours is all paid for before we cruise because we prepay the DSC. That way it is on a separate credit card billing period from cruise charges and we don't have as many charges when checking our shipboard account.

Edited by NMLady

I just don't understand why they just don't go ahead and make it part of the price you are quoted up front? Makes it seem like an additional price on top of the price you just paid since it is mandatory anyways? I pay the DSC. Just wish it was all combined...
It is not Mandatory. I'm thinking of buying the specialty restaurant package for my 7 night cruise so I will not double tip the MDR. With the implementation of this package they need to rethink a different daily tip amount because it's double dipping. I believe the package for the specialty restaurants include the tip but if not I need to know that.

It is not Mandatory. I'm thinking of buying the specialty restaurant package for my 7 night cruise so I will not double tip the MDR. With the implementation of this package they need to rethink a different daily tip amount because it's double dipping. I believe the package for the specialty restaurants include the tip but if not I need to know that.

Check your email. Too me, not a big deal. An increase of about $1 a day after 5 to 6 years. I would never think of opting out.

Kip

I'm not really sure what you mean, but the cost of the dining package doesn't include any tip at all. I think you have got confused somewhere.

To clarify, the service charge covers all wait staff, both in the free and speciality restaurants. When you pay for a speciality restaurant, either per meal or with the UDP you don't pay any tip.

No double dipping that I can see.

I'm not really sure what you mean, but the cost of the dining package doesn't include any tip at all. I think you have got confused somewhere.

To clarify, the service charge covers all wait staff, both in the free and speciality restaurants. When you pay for a speciality restaurant, either per meal or with the UDP you don't pay any tip.

No double dipping that I can see.

This is my understanding as well.

Oh, I think questions would be asked! Guest services will want you to explain in great detail how your service was so bad as to require removing it fully.

You are forgetting that the DSC also covers many service employees that you never come into contact with such as bussers, people on the buffet line, etc. and not just food service employees. It also covers your room steward among many others. So, someone can pay the DSC amount and never have to think about tipping again during the cruise. It is all included. Makes it much simpler IMO. So, if you remove the DSC, you are stiffing a bunch of nice folks who work their butts off to make this a great vacation for you. Any thing over and above the DSC is optional.

Edited by punkincc

Those 'tips' should be handed in until it is verified whether the giver has removed auto-gratuities or not - if the SC is still in place then the staff will get the tip back. Thus you are not achieving your aim of only tipping the staff you interact with - all you are doing is making more work for you, the staff, Guest Services and accounting. (I am assuming you will tip the same amount as the Service Charge BTW).

Seems a bit pointless for a point of principle...just my two penn'orth (or $12 worth if you like:rolleyes:).

Edited by SteveH2508

As stated in the previous post, you are expected to keep it in place, unless:

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

As for people leaving cash, we tend to leave extra at specialty restaurants, and for bartenders, but that is not necessary.

Not according to the email I received today from NCL that called the daily service charge both discretionary AND a gratuity. There is nothing ambiguous about this wording from NCL. I do wish, however, they would pay these behind the scenes people a regular wage and not rely on guest discretion. Before this auto-tipping there used to be suggestions for stewards and dining staff. The laundry guys and deck crew didn't have to rely on tips for a living.

Norwegian's daily discretionary service charges, which were last

adjusted in 2009, make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to key onboard

staff who provide superior guest service during the cruise,

including their room steward, restaurant servers and behind-the-scenes

support staff. Guests who are sailing in Suite categories also

receive the services of a concierge, butler and dedicated wait

staff.

Oh, I think questions would be asked! Guest services will want you to explain in great detail how your service was so bad as to require removing it fully.

actually that wasn't what we witnessed when spending 30 minutes trying to prove to guest services that they hadn't applied the pre paid UBP to our account and were trying to charge us for individual drinks

On the other hand a man came up to adjacent counter and asked to remove DSC-was done in 30 seconds with no questions asked!

actually that wasn't what we witnessed when spending 30 minutes trying to prove to guest services that they hadn't applied the pre paid UBP to our account and were trying to charge us for individual drinks

On the other hand a man came up to adjacent counter and asked to remove DSC-was done in 30 seconds with no questions asked!

There seems to be somewhat of a mis-match between what the 'official' policy is and what happens in practice - e.g. how Guest Services deal with pax removing the SC; staff handing in extra 'tips' etc.

Guest Services clearly do not want to get into public confrontations with pax so they will process removing SC easily.

How many staff just pocket the extras they get and ignore the rules?

Not judging, just speculating from the many posts on CC.

Yes, it's the same as a tip or gratuity. NCL refers to it as the Discretionary Service Charge because it is fully adjustable. It was started by NCL about 15 years ago when they went to 'freestyle'. It was clearly explained then that it was the tip and was/is fully adjustable as such. Some newer cruisers confuse the DSC and actually try to convince the gullible it is not a tip. Rest assured, it is.

You are forgetting that the DSC also covers many service employees that you never come into contact with such as bussers, people on the buffet line, etc. and not just food service employees. It also covers your room steward among many others. So, someone can pay the DSC amount and never have to think about tipping again during the cruise. It is all included. Makes it much simpler IMO. So, if you remove the DSC, you are stiffing a bunch of nice folks who work their butts off to make this a great vacation for you. Any thing over and above the DSC is optional.

Completely false. No explanation is ever required to adjust the Discretionary Service Charge.