I hate passing up a deal but.....

remydiva

just got a last minute email for several transatlantic and repo cruises at absolute KILLER prices ....all leaving as early as March 4 and up to April 25.

Our idea of a killer deal is $100 a day pp for a balcony and there are many offerings in this email much less than that. :eek:

Unfortunately, the timing wont work for us as we are already booked on a river cruise (at a much higher co$t ) so it is still good.

Personally we are trying to choose smarter with our falling canadian dollar so these deals should be popular.

But i wonder why the deep discounts on so many cruises? :confused:

I think people are being smarter with their money. I do think cruise lines need to look at their opening prices when first realising cruises. Some of them are asking a lot.

I know the Australian dollar has fallen quite a bit against the US dollar.

Edited by icat2000

In regards to TA cruises, I think there just aren't as many people who can do that length of a cruise. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the longer cruises are most likely booked by retired folks or those that have a lot of vacation time accrued on their jobs. Also, there are a lot of sea days. Many people love that about TA's but I also think there are some people who don't want 5 or 6 sea days in a row.

I sure wish I could book one of the TA's.

Also, high airfares...

Good point about the airfares. DH and I live in the Midwest but are flying to SFO this spring for a short repo to give Princess a try and see a portion of the US and Canada that we haven't seen before. We're new to cruising, so we're very much in the exploratory phase. I'm trying every-which-way combinations of flights, redeye flights+hotel, Amtrak+flights, shuttle buses + flights and the best I've found with our limited time off from work is around $400 pp. EZair's restricted fare quote is about the same. Fortunately I enjoy the hunt for cheap airfares and am usually successful at snagging a deal, but odds of a superbargain on a somewhat inflexible open-jaw schedule are slim right now. Being in the upper Midwest means we'd have to fly to reach any major cruise port, so we just factor that into the trip.

To my understanding ta and repo cruises are always a good value.

Because the cruise lines know about one way air ticket prices.

You always need to look at the full cost of a trip, not just the cruise portion. If you can deal with the airfare the 'other' way (and there are several ways of doing that), a TA cruise is usually very good value - I have done several and love them.

In regards to TA cruises, I think there just aren't as many people who can do that length of a cruise. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the longer cruises are most likely booked by retired folks or those that have a lot of vacation time accrued on their jobs. Also, there are a lot of sea days. Many people love that about TA's but I also think there are some people who don't want 5 or 6 sea days in a row.

You should. Once you do, you'll be hooked.....:):D:)

Bob

just got a last minute email for several transatlantic and repo cruises at absolute KILLER prices ....all leaving as early as March 4 and up to April 25.

Our idea of a killer deal is $100 a day pp for a balcony and there are many offerings in this email much less than that. :eek:

Unfortunately, the timing wont work for us as we are already booked on a river cruise (at a much higher co$t ) so it is still good.

Personally we are trying to choose smarter with our falling canadian dollar so these deals should be popular.

But i wonder why the deep discounts on so many cruises? :confused:

I wish I would have received the email.....:):):)

Bob

Good point about the airfares. DH and I live in the Midwest but are flying to SFO this spring for a short repo to give Princess a try and see a portion of the US and Canada that we haven't seen before. We're new to cruising, so we're very much in the exploratory phase. I'm trying every-which-way combinations of flights, redeye flights+hotel, Amtrak+flights, shuttle buses + flights and the best I've found with our limited time off from work is around $400 pp. EZair's restricted fare quote is about the same. Fortunately I enjoy the hunt for cheap airfares and am usually successful at snagging a deal, but odds of a superbargain on a somewhat inflexible open-jaw schedule are slim right now. Being in the upper Midwest means we'd have to fly to reach any major cruise port, so we just factor that into the trip.

This may be somewhat off topic but it addresses the fact that you are just starting to go cruising and are going to have to fly to ports in the future

Ok, this year you have to bite the bullet, But rest easy because if you organize a plan then airfare and hotel per and post cruise will after a few years cease to exist.....

How? Well is starts with each of you getting enrolled in an airline and hotel program. Don't think you have to fly all the time or stay in hotels constantaly...that is not needed.

When I say each of you get enrolled I mean separate from the other, different cards and accounts.

You can thus start off each , if using the United Explorer and Marriott cards ( that's 2 cards each for each of you) You will both get 30,000 miles each and 50,000 hotel points and a free nigh at a Marriott. That's each.. ( suggest these cards over all others because of the ease of getting rewards and the world wide size of the available rewards

Now switch from cash to Credit card for everything from taxes insurance, food gas, and your travel and cruises. Pay those off with the cash or check you were going to use... Your not spending more than you would have, just spending with the card so as to earn points and hotels for every thing you do.

Oh, I forgot each card comes with 10,000 travel insurance and there is no fee for foreign transactions... So no more trip insurance !!

Be patient for the first 18 to 24 months....and you will be surprised that you will have built quite a large reward account.... And as long as you use the cards, these points or miles will never expire !!! Plus with Marriott each of you, every year will get a free hotel night !!! SO 2 every year

So after 24 months....conservatively you will never to have to worry about hotels and Airfare....because from here on out you will be getting them free...

Trust me, I and many others for many years have gone to this plan now fly just about anywhere free and seldom if ever pay for a hotel!!!!

Id begin today as the future awaits.... regular folks with regular incomes who travel I or 2 times a year can reap thousands in rewards.... because they planned and stuck to it.

I wish I would have received the email.....:):):)

Bob

I didn't get the e-mail either, but try logging on to your "my Princess". This is an example of the balcony prices that I'm getting, Island, 3/21/15, 17-day Venetian Passage, $1359.00 per person, port fees $118.00, $100.00 per person cabin credit. There's also a couple of 14-day British Isles TA's starting at $1399.00 per person for the balconies.

So after 24 months....conservatively you will never to have to worry about hotels and Airfare....because from here on out you will be getting them free...

Free...except for the hundreds of $$ you will pay annually after the first year for the four cards.

I didn't get the e-mail either, but try logging on to your "my Princess". This is an example of the balcony prices that I'm getting, Island, 3/21/15, 17-day Venetian Passage, $1359.00 per person, port fees $118.00, $100.00 per person cabin credit. There's also a couple of 14-day British Isles TA's starting at $1399.00 per person for the balconies.

Thats still pretty darn good...the email had a 14 day TA April 25 FLL to London on Caribbean Princess called European Passage for $999 balcony

In any case the prices you quoted are also under the $100 pp per day

Also, high airfares...

Both are probably reasons for the last-minute deals particularly those in spring. We recently got a deal email for 19 days in Australia for $900/pp. (inside) & considered it using eZAir to make it affordable...maybe next year! ;)

I've tracked TAs for the past couple of years & it seems that generally spring is less expensive than fall. A couple of years ago we got a last-minute spring offer for a Panama Canal 15 day cruise from LA to FLL in a large Caribe deck (old BA category) for $995/pp.

Last May we booked an April TA with friends which has only gone down slightly but nothing cheaper even after final payment. Princess seems to be offering fewer price reductions & instead to have more "fire sales" closer to sailing. Based on the OP's dates listed, I am guessing there are springtime "Godfather Deals"...the ones that are difficult for me to "refuse"! :p

Edited by Astro Flyer

-------

Id begin today as the future awaits.... regular folks with regular incomes who travel I or 2 times a year can reap thousands in rewards.... because they planned and stuck to it.

I agree with much of what you say - also the free passes to United Red Carpet lounge are nice. However we only use one United card otherwise the Frequent Flier miles on separate cards are not enough. Combining all spending on one card seems best to us. I did get a separate card for myself and got the 30,000 miles after spending $1,000. Then made all purchases on DW card and cancelled my card. I ended up transferring those miles to DW when United had a 30% off sale on transferring miles.

Bob...judging by your past and future cruise history, you don't let the grass grow under your feet for too long in between cruises!

EnjoY!

I might have a few more under my belt if I wasn't still working. Retirement is still a couple of years away.....

Bob

Both are probably reasons for the last-minute deals particularly those in spring. We recently got a deal email for 19 days in Australia for $900/pp. (inside) & considered it using eZAir to make it affordable...maybe next year! ;)

I've tracked TAs for the past couple of years & it seems that generally spring is less expensive than fall. A couple of years ago we got a last-minute spring offer for a Panama Canal 15 day cruise from LA to FLL in a large Caribe deck (old BA category) for $995/pp.

Last May we booked an April TA with friends which has only gone down slightly but nothing cheaper even after final payment. Princess seems to be offering fewer price reductions & instead to have more "fire sales" closer to sailing. Based on the OP's dates listed, I am guessing there are springtime "Godfather Deals"...the ones that are difficult for me to "refuse"! :p

Frank;

Love your description of those deals.....:D:):D

Bob

Frank;

Love your description of those deals.....:D:):D

Bob

Guess it's just part of my heritage! :p

I've tried to get Princess to email last-minute deals to me instead of my wife who doesn't read her email as often...I wouldn't want to miss any of them. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

This may be somewhat off topic but it addresses the fact that you are just starting to go cruising and are going to have to fly to ports in the future

Ok, this year you have to bite the bullet, But rest easy because if you organize a plan then airfare and hotel per and post cruise will after a few years cease to exist.....

How? Well is starts with each of you getting enrolled in an airline and hotel program. Don't think you have to fly all the time or stay in hotels constantaly...that is not needed.

When I say each of you get enrolled I mean separate from the other, different cards and accounts.

You can thus start off each , if using the United Explorer and Marriott cards ( that's 2 cards each for each of you) You will both get 30,000 miles each and 50,000 hotel points and a free nigh at a Marriott. That's each.. ( suggest these cards over all others because of the ease of getting rewards and the world wide size of the available rewards

Now switch from cash to Credit card for everything from taxes insurance, food gas, and your travel and cruises. Pay those off with the cash or check you were going to use... Your not spending more than you would have, just spending with the card so as to earn points and hotels for every thing you do.

Oh, I forgot each card comes with 10,000 travel insurance and there is no fee for foreign transactions... So no more trip insurance !!

Be patient for the first 18 to 24 months....and you will be surprised that you will have built quite a large reward account.... And as long as you use the cards, these points or miles will never expire !!! Plus with Marriott each of you, every year will get a free hotel night !!! SO 2 every year

Trust me, I and many others for many years have gone to this plan now fly just about anywhere free and seldom if ever pay for a hotel!!!!

Thank you - this is excellent advice!! I am Marriott Gold thanks to work travel, and I had some gift cards (not Marriott-restricted) that will cover the cost of the hotel stay. I'm a Priceline fan since I do my research and work well within the Name Your Own Price system. Have gotten some great deals through bidding but "free" trumps Priceline!

I'll have to look into the airline points cards as both of our miles are spread across various airlines since I usually go for price first, points second unless it's a business trip. I enjoy the value of loyalty though, and after a few explorations we hope to get into a groove and narrow it down to one or two lines to begin building loyalty.

Edited by undercat