Wash, sanitize ... Allure 3rd week with Noro!

I would seriously have no hesitation in saying something to someone who comes out of the bathroom stall and doesn't wash their hands.....especially now since its public knowledge on the ship that the crap is going around again

Edited by bubba83

Seriously. I've seen people dodge the lady holding hand sanitizer at the entrance to the Windjammer. What, you're too cool to wash your hands?

You do know that hand sanitizer does virtually nothing to noro, right? We're on Carnival Sunshine this week, due back in PC tomorrow. No noro that I'm aware of, but a cold has been going around. DH and I and a friend we're traveling with have had it. It's not bad, but it is going around. We wash our hands regularly. Of course, when you have mothers who let their children climb up to get their own drink and put their feet (in sandals) on the counter, why should anyone be surprised that people get sick?

You do know that hand sanitizer does virtually nothing to noro, right?

You nailed it. There's been some recent studies done that indicate that alcohol based sanitizers are ineffective at killing Norovirus, even when they used 95% pure alcohol.

I would seriously have no hesitation in saying something to someone who comes out of the bathroom stall and doesn't wash their hands.....especially now since its public knowledge on the ship that the crap is going around again

Don't get so hung up on the idea of washing hands in the rest room. They could scrub their hands raw, walk out and grab the stairs hand rail that has been grabbed previously by someone who came onboard sick. Then they become a carrier to continue spreading the bug.

I doubt that the same Noro is still onboard from previous cruises. There are NEW people coming on the ship every week carrying their own germs with them to spread around.

Let's be honest here..... You just flew in from the snowbelt and are feeling a bit 'under the weather' the morning of boarding the ship. Are you going to cancel the cruise for you and the family because of it or just assume it is a slight cold and will be over it in a day or so..... Bingo.... Another case of the Flu or Noro walks onboard to share with the other passengers....

Even with it being the third week, the level of GI cases has not reached the 3% reporting level that triggers an outbreak update to be recorded on the CDC website or require a visit from the USPH inspectors. Sounds like the crew are working hard to keep this contained.

A multi-cruise incident with a rising or spiking number of reported cases is usually indicative of serious crew infection, but a continued low rate is most commonly caused by a new "patient zero" each cruise.

Edited by chengkp75

Don't get so hung up on the idea of washing hands in the rest room. They could scrub their hands raw, walk out and grab the stairs hand rail that has been grabbed previously by someone who came onboard sick. Then they become a carrier to continue spreading the bug.

I doubt that the same Noro is still onboard from previous cruises. There are NEW people coming on the ship every week carrying their own germs with them to spread around.

Let's be honest here..... You just flew in from the snowbelt and are feeling a bit 'under the weather' the morning of boarding the ship. Are you going to cancel the cruise for you and the family because of it or just assume it is a slight cold and will be over it in a day or so..... Bingo.... Another case of the Flu or Noro walks onboard to share with the other passengers....

Your post to me is the whole reason to wash everytime I see a sink, and see purell when I am on the ship or at home. It isn't me, it literally is the other "guy".

Oh, and I am from the Snowbelt, so I "blame" the guy from the warmer climates who just has to drive to the port. ;)

Seriously. I've seen people dodge the lady holding hand sanitizer at the entrance to the Windjammer. What, you're too cool to wash your hands?

Nope, I'm not too cool to wash my hands. I just did that BEFORE walking in to the Windjammer.

I am also allergic to the alcohol in hand sanitizer, and it makes my hands red and itchy.

However, sometimes I'll do it anyway because you really do feel judged if you skip! (Which I guess is a good thing? More people using it?)

I hardly use the Purell sanitizers. It's drying to the skin and has no effect on Norovirus at all. I wash my hands repeatedly right before and after meals and as often as I can and try not to touch my face with my hands. In the Windjammer I try to use a napkin and not my bare hands to touch serving utensils. There are a bajillion ways of getting norovirus; handling menus, pulling chairs out, etc., etc. You just try the best you can and hope you dodge the noro bullet. Washing may also be drying my skin but at least it's most effective in washing that norovirus down the drain. I would definitely say something to anyone walking out of a bathroom stall and not washing her hands.. Gross!

We are just off the Grandeur (they were fighting Norovirus).

We took with us a supply of gloves that the servers and attendants use. We each wore one to pick up tongs whenever in the Windjammer. Once we sat down we removed the glove to eat. In the dining room we did the same.

In two weeks we will be on the Allure and will follow that same procedure.

(On the GR, they were constantly switching out tongs alternating black and white.)

We are just off the Grandeur (they were fighting Norovirus).

We took with us a supply of gloves that the servers and attendants use. We each wore one to pick up tongs whenever in the Windjammer. Once we sat down we removed the glove to eat. In the dining room we did the same.

(On the GR, they were constantly switching out tongs alternating black and white.)

Issue with that is...does it only get spread in the Windjammer and dining room....I think thats going a bit extreme. If you are going to go that far then you might as well wear gloves every time you touch ANYTHING on the ship.

As others have noted, the sanitizer is highly overrated, and many people prefer to thoroughly wash their hands with soap and water before eating instead. This is an option outside the buffet on the newest ships (NCL Breakaway had actual sinks at the entrance and I've read here that Quantum does as well). I often accept a squirt of the sanitizer anyway... I'm not allergic or anything... but some who opt against it have just washed their hands.

Hand sanitizer = kills the germs.

My husband uses the "I just washed my hands before we left" excuse, and I say "yeah, and did you touch an elevator button or handrail?"

Flu shots = kill some/most viruses.

Keep those shots going year-by-year. The inoculation nurse at our HMO told me the more shots you get, the more immunities you build up. It's not, "oh, I got the flu, so I'm good now". Mutations upon mutations. But, with a series of shots (and illnesses, unfortunately) you build up immunities until you are resistant and only get mild cases.

She told me that because I had a VERY BAD case of Hong Kong flu in 1968, I had strong immunities to a lot of the bird flu viruses going around now, because they are mutations of that strain. Lucky me........I was recuperating for about 2 months from that one!!

Hand sanitizers may not kill noro.....but it takes care of "other" germs.

I wash my hands AND sanitize. I also don't touch the rails and don't use the elevator buttons.

I also taught my kids and granddaughter to wash their hands and use a paper towel on the door knob while exiting a public bathroom.

I also take wipes to wash the tv remote, phone and door knobs.

Wash, sanitize AND try not to touch things!

Better to be safe then sorry.

It's almost impossible to NOT touch "things",..what you should focus on is NOT TOUCHING YOUR FACE...eyes, nose and mouth are the entry points. You can have noro on your hands, but as long as you don't give it entry into your system, you will not get sick!

many people prefer to thoroughly wash their hands with soap and water before eating instead. This is an option outside the buffet on the newest ships (NCL Breakaway had actual sinks at the entrance and I've read here that Quantum does as well).

I really like this idea. Have sinks outside the entrances and make it STRONG RECOMMENDATION that guests wash hands before the buffet areas in particular. It's when eating that we are most vulnerable with because it is hand-to-mouth. Sure there are many many other things that we touch on a cruise, but I'm always aware that I should not be touching my mouth or face when I'm out and about. When I go to the grocery store I'm the same way, once I touch the shopping cart I'm on red alert to try and keep from touching areas where a virus can enter like mouth, nose, and eyes until I can wash my hands. I'm a healthcare worker and we are constantly reminded of the necessity of washing our hands and use sanitizer as an added precaution.

It's almost impossible to NOT touch "things",..what you should focus on is NOT TOUCHING YOUR FACE...eyes, nose and mouth are the entry points. You can have noro on your hands, but as long as you don't give it entry into your system, you will not get sick!

While this is true, the other common vector for introduction is any food eaten with your hands (burgers, fries, etc.). This is transmission from your hands to the food, and then to your mouth.

QUOTE]

We are on this same sailing with you. This is a good idea. I hope you don't mind if I steal it :)