Does Noro depend on time of year?

Just curious, planning my 3rd cruise and seeing all of the posts about Noro going around. Does anyone know if it seems to matter what time of year is worse than others. I would assume longer into winter the worse it is? Looking at a November 2015 cruise and hoping may be less of a chance of catching Noro than this time of year. I know it can be there all year long but just like colds and flu's its probably worse late winter. Thanks for the input!!

Probably worse around Winter, people with poor hygiene re sneezing, sniffling etc. There is always a risk, take sensible precautions without going overboard - (pun sorry). Wash your hands after using toilet, surprising how many people I see leave toilet area without doing this, sanitise your hands at door of restaurants, buffets etc. Avoid food items that you see people picking over and generally just be aware of your own hygiene. Enjoy your cruise.;)

It is NOT a "ship thing"...it's commonly known as the "stomach flu"...but true Influenza does NOT involve your stomach! Noro is what your kids bring home from school...it can happen anywhere large groups gather...church, school, hotels, nursing homes, etc... when school starts...that's when the viruses go wild!!!

Edited by cb at sea

As the others have said, just be careful and sanitize and wash your hands a lot. We were on Allure a few years ago with a Noro outbreak. About 120 got sick. But we didn't. Really, Noro is everywhere. It just doesn't have the "crowd" that a cruise ship has. If there is an outbreak at a mall, no one knows because people just goes home and don't think about how many others are sick. Best thing, do what you can and don't worry about it.

Just curious, planning my 3rd cruise and seeing all of the posts about Noro going around. Does anyone know if it seems to matter what time of year is worse than others. I would assume longer into winter the worse it is? Looking at a November 2015 cruise and hoping may be less of a chance of catching Noro than this time of year. I know it can be there all year long but just like colds and flu's its probably worse late winter. Thanks for the input!!

Are you talking about a Thanksgiving cruise which is highly packed along with a high kid population onboard!

If worried take wipes to wipe cabin down when you first arrive! Keep washing hands! If eating in MDR have waiter put menu on table. When you are eating in WJ either eat food with utensils! If a hamburger get food and wash hands then eat.

It can happen anytime! Winter and Fall have colds and flu! Seen it late Spring.

I am not worried and I will be on Liberty next Month!

Happy Cruising!

If worried take wipes to wipe cabin down when you first arrive! Keep washing hands! If eating in MDR have waiter put menu on table. When you are eating in WJ either eat food with utensils! If a hamburger get food and wash hands then eat.

Standard wipes do not kill noro. Now, you might get rid of a few other germs, but in order to kill noro, wipes need to be 5.25% bleach, so you're talking about a commercial grade solution. Pretty sure no one is bringing that on board...

Noro is everywhere. All the time. Schools, nursing homes, dorms, grocery stores. Only cruise lines are required to report it to the CDC so that's why you hear about it.

Hand sanitizer is just for show and doesn't kill the virus. Wipes (even those labeled Clorox) don't kill the virus.

Not touching your face, and washing hands often and thoroughly--scrubbing up to wrists and under fingernails--gets the virus off your hands.

Start your trip with a strong immune system; good bacteria like found in plain yogurt, extra Vitamin C, and lots of garlic help build it up. Stay well rested and we'll hydrated.

We stayed well through a really bad outbreak on a ship a while back. Maybe just got lucky but I think all of the above helped.

Noro is everywhere. I know my wifes job had a convention and alot of people got sick from this event. I dont know if there is a better time to cruise without the spread of noro. I am always ancy about getting it. Wash your hands and try not to touch something on the ship then touch your face

Standard wipes do not kill noro. Now, you might get rid of a few other germs, but in order to kill noro, wipes need to be 5.25% bleach, so you're talking about a commercial grade solution. Pretty sure no one is bringing that on board...

Sadly this is true. People are brain washed into thinking alcohol can kill every kind of germ. The hand sanitizer is better than nothing BUT it won't kill noro Only soap and water will on your skin. On Hard surfaces it's bleach! I think part of the problem too is no one wants to admit they are sick and "ruine" their vacation, so they tell themselves they're ok and instead of staying in to see if it passes (just something you ate) they go back out in the crowds and "share" it with everyone😞

We use Germstar Noro in the 2 oz spray bottles. It claims to kill 99.99 all germs including ebola.

Google it.

I think part of the problem too is no one wants to admit they are sick and "ruine" their vacation, so they tell themselves they're ok and instead of staying in to see if it passes (just something you ate) they go back out in the crowds and "share" it with everyone😞

The only time Ive ever had Noro, I was not on a cruise but I can tell you if i was, the LAST thing on my mind would be to "go back out in the crowds" :eek:

For about 2 days, I thought I was dying.

Seriously, do people with confirmed Noro really do that? I cant imagine wanting to do anything but stay in bed and close to a bathroom.

We use Germstar Noro in the 2 oz spray bottles. It claims to kill 99.99 all germs including ebola.

Google it.

I have Googled it, several times, each time to refute it's claims. Have you requested the test information from their home office, since they haven't decided to make them public?

I laugh at their claim that the "emollients" in their products aids in killing the virus. Emollients are softeners, therefore the only good they would do is to loosen the surface tension between the outer layer of skin where the virus is, and the next layer of skin. This is what soap does (it doesn't kill anything, just loosens it to be washed away), but without a rinsing action or even wiping on a towel, an emollient would do nothing to aid in anti-viral action.

I go to the EPA's List of registered agents effective against noro virus to see what the manufacturers have actually been able to prove to the EPA and CDC as being both safe and effective. There are almost no consumer products listed there, and Germstar isn't there. Even consumer products that have ingredients that are effective against noro, have them in such low concentrations that the required contact time is unreasonable for consumer use. This list was updated as of Oct 2014, and has far fewer products on it than previously.

The only time Ive ever had Noro, I was not on a cruise but I can tell you if i was, the LAST thing on my mind would be to "go back out in the crowds" :eek:

Seriously, do people with confirmed Noro really do that? I cant imagine wanting to do anything but stay in bed and close to a bathroom.

While you are correct, and the best description of noro I've heard is: "you won't die from it, but for 3 days you'll wish you had".

The problem with noro, unlike (dare I say the evil word?) ebola, is that you can be contagious without even being symptomatic. Therefore, people who feel fine, or even just feel "a little under the weather" before the full force of noro strikes can be contagious and contaminating surfaces around the ship.

I totally agree. I was unfortunate to have it on Adventure, and truthfully felt so ill for 3 days I was glad to be quarantined. I wouldn't want anyone to have to experience this awful illness especially through me being in public areas when I shouldn't be. I felt terrible having to take the elevator from the infirmary to our cabin in case there were other passengers getting in and out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have nick-named it "Mass Evacuation", for good reason.

I have had the "joy" of having it two times, never on a ship and thankfully at home where there are multiple washrooms. I would hate to be stuck in a small cabin with 1 washroom, and two people needing the fixtures. :eek:

I have a question about Noro. Say there are four people in one cabin and one gets Noro, how is it if it's highly contagious that say only one person gets it in the cabin? Even the person taking care of that person doesn't get it!

To my knowledge, Noro is not airbone. It usually passes via the fecal to oral path.

I have a question about Noro. Say there are four people in one cabin and one gets Noro, how is it if it's highly contagious that say only one person gets it in the cabin? Even the person taking care of that person doesn't get it!

There will be a clinical reason but my answer is as follows, they are lucky!

I have Googled it, several times, each time to refute it's claims. Have you requested the test information from their home office, since they haven't decided to make them public?

I laugh at their claim that the "emollients" in their products aids in killing the virus. Emollients are softeners, therefore the only good they would do is to loosen the surface tension between the outer layer of skin where the virus is, and the next layer of skin. This is what soap does (it doesn't kill anything, just loosens it to be washed away), but without a rinsing action or even wiping on a towel, an emollient would do nothing to aid in anti-viral action.

I go to the EPA's List of registered agents effective against noro virus to see what the manufacturers have actually been able to prove to the EPA and CDC as being both safe and effective. There are almost no consumer products listed there, and Germstar isn't there. Even consumer products that have ingredients that are effective against noro, have them in such low concentrations that the required contact time is unreasonable for consumer use. This list was updated as of Oct 2014, and has far fewer products on it than previously.

Thanks for the feedback! It may or may not work, but so far we haven't been struck w/ any illnesses while on board. Not saying it's due to this product, but as w/ many other things in the world, I'll use it and take my chances! ;)

Thanks for the feedback! It may or may not work, but so far we haven't been struck w/ any illnesses while on board. Not saying it's due to this product, but as w/ many other things in the world, I'll use it and take my chances! ;)

I totally agree, whatever works for you, is great. I'm always debunking a lot of "claims" for anti-noro products here, but I won't ever recommend stopping anyone from using something that they believe helps. As I noted, when using a hand sanitizer, it is best to use a towel to wipe your hand with afterwards, to remove those loosened viruses and bacteria.

I know that newer USPH guidelines require handwashing sinks at the entrance to the buffet areas, and I've heard that some of the new ships (Breakaway, Oasis?) actually have them.

No no! what i was saying isn't people with confirmed noro , i'm saying people who do get sick with symptoms like diarrhea or maybe threw up once, instead of staying in thier room for the rest of the day or night to see if it was "just something they ate " or too much sun they just keep going. And yes we were talking to some people on one of our cruises and they actually mentioned oh yeah she really was sick a bit ago must have been a bad lunch.

I think I'd be a bit more careful unless i ate something i know normally doesn't agree with me. However i am not the vacation police😀

Quick Hygiene tip: don't rely on the hand sanitizers outside the Windjammer etc. Wash your hands fully (2 minutes and scrub in every place possible) and then use the sanitizer as additional coverage. Sanitizers just coat over the germs, washing removes them.

It is NOT a "ship thing"...it's commonly known as the "stomach flu"...but true Influenza does NOT involve your stomach! Noro is what your kids bring home from school...it can happen anywhere large groups gather...church, school, hotels, nursing homes, etc... when school starts...that's when the viruses go wild!!!

There was a recent noro outbreak at a local university...not just on cruise ships.