Queen Mary 2 in Hong Kong

This is the grand lady docked this morning in Kai Tak terminal on a very bleak and overcast day in Hong Kong. Taken from our hotel room. Boarding this afternoon. Very excited :)

Great view - enjoy your cruise :)

Edited by boeckli

Bon Voyage...

Enjoy your adventure on the Grand Ocean Liner . She is one of a kind...there will never be another like her.:)

Bon Voyage, Einreb61, What a grand view from your hotel room.

David, I know Queen Mary 2 is an Ocean Liner, however, can you please explain the difference between her and the other two Queens? I seem to recall that you have cruised on her, when the two Queens were in Sydney Harbour. Is that correct?

Edited by MMDown Under

This is the grand lady docked this morning in Kai Tak terminal on a very bleak and overcast day in Hong Kong. Taken from our hotel room. Boarding this afternoon. Very excited :)2780d8e5a7e158208107384a1b56546c.jpg

Super photo, thanks for sharing.

At which hotel did you stay?

Bon Voyage.

Bon Voyage, Einreb61, What a grand view from your hotel room.

David, I know Queen Mary 2 is an Ocean Liner, however, can you please explain the difference between her and the other two Queens? I seem to recall that you have cruised on her, when the two Queens were in Sydney Harbour. Is that correct?

Yes , she is quite different from the "cloned " cruise ships of today. Most of them have a flat bottom .

She was the dream creation of Micky Arison, head of Carnival Corp. He took a huge risk in building her, but it seems to have paid off.

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/qm2/qm2.php

History of the Ship

Cunard began construction on Queen Mary 2 in 2003. She was to be the new flagship of the Cunard fleet and first ocean liner built since Queen Elizabeth 2 in 1969. She was built primarily for transatlantic voyages in addition to seasonal cruises. There is 40% more steel in Queen Mary 2's hull than in a standard cruise ship. She is also fast, at just over 30 knots (35 MPH). 4 azipod pods provide the power to achieve this speed.

She was launched at Southampton, England on 21 March 2003 with Queen Elizabeth II christening her. When built she was the largest passenger ship built up until Freedom of the Seas in 2006.

Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth are Vista Class ships

Other Vista class ships include.

2002: MS Zuiderdam

2003: MS Oosterdam

2004: MS Westerdam

2005: MS Arcadia

2006: MS Noordam

2008: MS Eurodam

2007: MS Queen Victoria

2010: MS Queen Elizabeth

2010: MS Nieuw Amsterdam

2010: Costa Deliziosa

Super photo, thanks for sharing.

At which hotel did you stay?

Bon Voyage.

We stayed at the Harbour Grand Kowloon. A little out from the crazy hustle and bustle which we enjoyed. The bus ride back to the hotel each day gave us time to unwind.

Yes , she is quite different from the "cloned " cruise ships of today. Most of them have a flat bottom .

She was the dream creation of Micky Arison, head of Carnival Corp. He took a huge risk in building her, but it seems to have paid off.

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/qm2/qm2.php

History of the Ship

Cunard began construction on Queen Mary 2 in 2003. She was to be the new flagship of the Cunard fleet and first ocean liner built since Queen Elizabeth 2 in 1969. She was built primarily for transatlantic voyages in addition to seasonal cruises. There is 40% more steel in Queen Mary 2's hull than in a standard cruise ship. She is also fast, at just over 30 knots (35 MPH). 4 azipod pods provide the power to achieve this speed.

She was launched at Southampton, England on 21 March 2003 with Queen Elizabeth II christening her. When built she was the largest passenger ship built up until Freedom of the Seas in 2006.

Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth are Vista Class ships

Other Vista class ships include.

2002: MS Zuiderdam

2003: MS Oosterdam

2004: MS Westerdam

2005: MS Arcadia

2006: MS Noordam

2008: MS Eurodam

2007: MS Queen Victoria

2010: MS Queen Elizabeth

2010: MS Nieuw Amsterdam

2010: Costa Deliziosa

Thanks David. I'd like to cruise on Queen Mary 2 one day.

Einreb61 - Are you going to write a review on your voyage?

Einreb61, enjoy your cruise. I just love QM2 and it was only a little under a year ago that I was boarding her in Brisbane to head to Hong Kong. It was wet and dismal in Hong Kong then as well!

It's rather sad isn't it. This was her last year in Hong Kong after Aussieflyer and I disembarked.

You can just make out the red funnel. Our hotel was well into Mongkok area.

2febf9fe0861e92858868ff88e355cf6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That pic makes me laugh. Years ago I favoured a nail polish colour called "Hong Kong Sunrise". It was a coral-pink colour.

Naturally I had my nails painted that colour just before going on a trip to Hong Kong. I can attest to the fact that a real Hong Kong sunrise is close to the pic above than the nail polish colour :D

That pic makes me laugh. Years ago I favoured a nail polish colour called "Hong Kong Sunrise". It was a coral-pink colour.

Naturally I had my nails painted that colour just before going on a trip to Hong Kong. I can attest to the fact that a real Hong Kong sunrise is close to the pic above than the nail polish colour :D

Pink and grey go well together though.:p

I think that was Queen Elizabeth. QM2 is on her way to Sydney, Australia and has come via the Suez Canal and Dubai.

Hmmm...Ok. I know the same ship was in SF about a week before that. Additionally, whatever ship, she couldn't tender at Kona on Feb 14, due to high winds (up to 65mph gusts).

QE2 on the world cruise?

It's rather sad isn't it. This was her last year in Hong Kong after Aussieflyer and I disembarked.

You can just make out the red funnel. Our hotel was well into Mongkok area.

2febf9fe0861e92858868ff88e355cf6.jpg

Hi there - we have been allocated a sheltered balcony on Deck 6. I'm wondering if we will have the following in the cabin:

1) refrigerator

2) electric jug

3) shampoo, conditioner, body wash

4) hair drier

Thanks! Just trying to keep the luggage weight down as we will be flying into Darwin to embark.

Gae

Hmmm...Ok. I know the same ship was in SF about a week before that. Additionally, whatever ship, she couldn't tender at Kona on Feb 14, due to high winds (up to 65mph gusts).

QE2 on the world cruise?

That is the one they are on their way to Tonga for tomorrow after visiting Samoa.:D

QE2 on the world cruise?

That would be riight . Both Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria are doing World Cruises . QV is following QE.

QE was in SF 7 Feb. QV in SF 19 Feb.QV is about 1 day away from HNL as I post and QE is on her way to NZ.

QE2 I believe, is still decommissioned in Dubai and being turned into a Hotel, although that may have all changed.

Anyone heard the latest on QE2?

That would be riight . Both Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria are doing World Cruises . QV is following QE.

QE was in SF 7 Feb. QV in SF 19 Feb.QV is about 1 day away from HNL as I post and QE is on her way to NZ.

QE2 I believe, is still decommissioned in Dubai and being turned into a Hotel, although that may have all changed.

Anyone heard the latest on QE2?

The Queen Mary is in LA if that helps.:D

Hi there - we have been allocated a sheltered balcony on Deck 6. I'm wondering if we will have the following in the cabin:

1) refrigerator

2) electric jug

3) shampoo, conditioner, body wash

4) hair drier

Thanks! Just trying to keep the luggage weight down as we will be flying into Darwin to embark.

Gae

Nice. :p.

Refrigerator is more like a cool box but ask for ice.

Electric jugs aren't allowed in Staterooms. (Cunard doesn't call them cabins :D)

Shampoos etc - yes

Hair drier - yes.

Nice. :p.

Refrigerator is more like a cool box but ask for ice.

Electric jugs aren't allowed in Staterooms. (Cunard doesn't call them cabins :D)

Shampoos etc - yes

Hair drier - yes.

Thanks! Pity about the electric jugs!