meal time on cruises

edbowen

Ok it seems that the Carnival Cruise lines have reduced the time for breakfast and lunch time. I remember that in the earlier times there was always food to be had but recently finding food at brunch time and late lunch are all but gone unless you want a deli sandwich, pizza or a taco.

My question. Does any cruise line really offer meals like they used to. (for the last 10 years.) Carnival and Holland America are the same and offer limited brunch and late lunch meal times. If I am to cruise anymore I want to be able vacation on MY time and I want to enjoy these meals on MY time. I want to sleep til 10 am after staying up til 2 am. And I don't want to feel rushed with my meals. Thanks

Princess has a buffet that opens early in the morning and doesn't close til around 11pm. It has two sides so that if the meals are being switched out on one side, the other side stays open. At some point, the breakfast items get switched out for lunch items, and those get switched out for dinner items. You can get pasta, meat, salad, desserts even mid-afternoon -- it doesn't close during that time.

Also the International Cafe (which is on most Princess ships) is open 24/7. But the breakfast items do get switched out for lunch items, etc., at some point.

Just think, if someone shows up at noon and finds just breakfast items, they may think it's a bit strange. Even a few items may just sit there. There is a reason why you won't be able to find breakfast items at some point during the day.

Ok it seems that the Carnival Cruise lines have reduced the time for breakfast and lunch time. I remember that in the earlier times there was always food to be had but recently finding food at brunch time and late lunch are all but gone unless you want a deli sandwich, pizza or a taco.

My question. Does any cruise line really offer meals like they used to. (for the last 10 years.) Carnival and Holland America are the same and offer limited brunch and late lunch meal times. If I am to cruise anymore I want to be able vacation on MY time and I want to enjoy these meals on MY time. I want to sleep til 10 am after staying up til 2 am. And I don't want to feel rushed with my meals. Thanks

You can order room service any time in your cabin.

NCL has Blue Lagoon or O'Sheehans, depending on which ship, which offer limited meals 24hours a day. (NCL Sun does not have this).

It is one issue that has so far kept me away from HAL, like you don't always want to eat at the times they think I should, when I'm cruising.

We like to have a little sleep in [well OK not always so little] some days, we like a Nanna nap in the afternoon [sometimes even over lunch], we usually have late seating for diner, so a little visit to the buffet, about 4 ish] might tide us over.

I am actually pretty keen to try HAL but this a bit off putting, Carnival I'm not so sure fits us anyway, but will try one day when we have time to cruise and they have something that fits our time and others don't.

Princess has a buffet that opens early in the morning and doesn't close til around 11pm. It has two sides so that if the meals are being switched out on one side' date=' the other side stays open. At some point, the breakfast items get switched out for lunch items, and those get switched out for dinner items. You can get pasta, meat, salad, desserts even mid-afternoon -- it doesn't close during that time.

Also the International Cafe (which is on most Princess ships) is open 24/7. But the breakfast items do get switched out for lunch items, etc., at some point.

Lol...at least you made it to bwi! Just think, if someone shows up at noon and finds just breakfast items, they may think it's a bit strange. Even a few items may just sit there. There is a reason why you won't be able to find breakfast items at some point during the day.[/quote']

I understand the thought of someone at noon but in the past there would always be something available. ie salads cookies or something. Other then soft serve ice cream and the taco/pizza and deli ....nothing. plus these always had very long lines and were understaffed

I'm confused. I've always been able to find something on Carnival.

Breakfast in the buffet goes until noon at one of the hot lines. It can be outside depending on the ship.

Buffet Lunch goes until 2 or 3 with the grill or Guys open til 6.

MDR has either lunch 12-1:30 or Brunch 7-1:30.

Edited by SadieN

Fare pricing pressure and crew labor rules are to blame. When a cruise line is selling cabins for less than $50ppd one thing to cut is the food budget. Limitations on how long the galley crew can be made to work force the reduction of hot food or anything that requires continuous preparation.

As with many things in life if you want more service and choice you have to be willing to pay more.

Fare pricing pressure and crew labor rules are to blame. When a cruise line is selling cabins for less than $50ppd one thing to cut is the food budget. Limitations on how long the galley crew can be made to work force the reduction of hot food or anything that requires continuous preparation.

As with many things in life if you want more service and choice you have to be willing to pay more.

You are sadly mistaken about how long crew can be forced to work. No mass market cruise line has to abide by US labor laws (except NCL POA).

In addition the more you pay the less you will have available. The luxury lines have food available on a much more restricted schedule than the mass market lines.

I don't know what you mean about offering meals "like they used to". It used to be that you had set meal times, the only option was the MDR, and you couldn't get food whenever you wanted it. Now there are multiple dining venues and 24 hr room service......what there isn't is the ability to have exactly what you want to eat when you want it. If you want that, charter your own cruise with your own kitchen and private chef.

You can get breakfast after waking up late, but maybe not what you want to eat for breakfast. Boo hoo......if you want whatever YOU want, you'll have to spend more than a Carnival cruise.

If you want that, charter your own cruise with your own kitchen and private chef.

Oh for Pete sake, did you trip over your cat this morning? It is a good question because the lines are changing their routines from past years. How many here remember the midnight buffet? The OP deserves an apology.

The Navy guy with the long name is right, cruise lines have been making cuts and the food area is a big part of the cuts. But there is more, especially with Carnival and RCCL; the lines are marketing for a different demographic passenger than 15 years ago. The typical passenger today wants to spend less time eating and more time being entertained. The food and food services are a reflection of that trend. It was not unusual to spend two hours at dinner 10 to 15 years ago, but 1 hour is more typical today. Meals on ships today are just a way to ease the hunger pains whereas 15 years ago it was a social activity considered part of the cruise experience.

The cruise lines today are catering to the fast food generation and many of the subjects on this forum reflect the trend. Forum members today typically admit they don't really care about the quality of the food or the service and want to get in and out as fast as possible without even the hassle of what to wear. The cruise industry is changing to reach the fast food population and those of us who are used to the old way of food services are noticing the difference.

There have been several discussions on this forum predicting that the Main Dining Room will eventually give way to the buffet and passengers will have to pay extra to get meals served by a waiter. It allows the cruise lines to use lower cost food and more importantly, less serving staff.

Times are changing. McDonalds anyone.

Burt

Edited by Beachdude

they ARE providing options 24/7. they do not have to provide options that YOU approve of.

you are most likely in a very small minority who wants full service and a full range of menu items 2-4 pm. most people at this time of day are either at the pool, or on shore. at that hour I wouldn't want a heavy meal, so a slice , or a quick serve sammich at the deli is more than plenty to curb the hunger pangs until Dinner.

besides that's the perfect time to do Room service. hell I prefer the RS burger to the one in the buffet a thousand fold.

the one Carnival ship I sailed on had a sushi cart from 3-5 that was perfect ( wish Royal had something similar they could offer out of Izumi) .

I don't know what you mean about offering meals "like they used to". It used to be that you had set meal times, the only option was the MDR, and you couldn't get food whenever you wanted it. Now there are multiple dining venues and 24 hr room service......what there isn't is the ability to have exactly what you want to eat when you want it. If you want that, charter your own cruise with your own kitchen and private chef.

Our very first cruise was on the SS Azure Seas, back in the early 80's. It was an old converted ocean-liner, without many bells and whistles. We were expected to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner (one seating, only) -- at set times, at our assigned table in the MDR. What passed for a "lido buffet", was a nice little spread of pastries, lox, bagels, etc -- put out by the pool, around mid-morning. I think they had some sort of "tea" in the afternoons, too. :cool:

So OP, as Calliopecruiser pointed out -- just be aware that the "good old days" of cruising didn't always mean getting whatever you wanted to eat, whenever/wherever you wished. ;)

Edited by wwcruisers

You are sadly mistaken about how long crew can be forced to work. No mass market cruise line has to abide by US labor laws (except NCL POA).

In addition the more you pay the less you will have available. The luxury lines have food available on a much more restricted schedule than the mass market lines.

Then you are not aware of the MCL 2006 (Maritime Labor Convention 2006) agreement which became effective in August 2013. Regrading hours of work for crew members: "Rest hours: rest hours should be implemented in national legislation. The maximum hours of work in that legislation should not exceed 14 hours in any 24-hour period and 72 hours in any seven-day period, or: at least ten hours of rest in any 24-hour period and 77 hours (rest) in any seven-day period. Furthermore the daily hours of rest may not be divided into more than two periods and, at least six hours of rest should be given consecutively in one of those two periods."

For more details see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_Labour_Convention

Edited by BlueRiband

It is one issue that has so far kept me away from HAL, like you don't always want to eat at the times they think I should, when I'm cruising.

We like to have a little sleep in [well OK not always so little] some days, we like a Nanna nap in the afternoon [sometimes even over lunch], we usually have late seating for diner, so a little visit to the buffet, about 4 ish] might tide us over.

I am actually pretty keen to try HAL but this a bit off putting, Carnival I'm not so sure fits us anyway, but will try one day when we have time to cruise and they have something that fits our time and others don't.

HAL has one of the best cabin service menus I've seen. Just order cabin service

after you wake up while you're freshening up.

I'm confused. I've always been able to find something on Carnival.

Breakfast in the buffet goes until noon at one of the hot lines. It can be outside depending on the ship.

Buffet Lunch goes until 2 or 3 with the grill or Guys open til 6.

MDR has either lunch 12-1:30 or Brunch 7-1:30.

I was wrong with some of the times---

Buffet lunch goes until 3--All the hot lines (including Rotissierie and Mongolian wok) open til 3.

Grill til 6.

Our very first cruise was on the SS Azure Seas, back in the early 80's. It was an old converted ocean-liner, without many bells and whistles. We were expected to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner (one seating, only) -- at set times, at our assigned table in the MDR. What passed for a "lido buffet", was a nice little spread of pastries, lox, bagels, etc -- put out by the pool, around mid-morning. I think they had some sort of "tea" in the afternoons, too. :cool:

So OP, as Calliopecruiser pointed out -- just be aware that the "good old days" of cruising didn't always mean getting whatever you wanted to eat, whenever/wherever you wished. ;)

As I stated earlier, within the last ten years.

We always do breakfast from room service in the cabin, you can order the night before for the time you like... you might check this out. Not sure how late they serve because we usually order for 8:30 am or 9:00 am. But you can write in a time on the menu... we write in items we would like that are not on the menu and often they are provided.

We approach meals on ships, be considering the options - then work on making those options work for us.

For example, on Celebrity ships, we do not like the MDR, so we skip it, enjoy selections from the buffet which we collect and take back to our cabin in the afternoon, if we have a nice lunch we don't need dinner.

If they don't have something on the ship we want, we buy it in port and bring back to the cabin, i.e., cake, nuts, fruit... items that keep well. Sometimes we buy lunch in port and bring it back as well. Really depends on where we are and what's available.

As I stated earlier, within the last ten years.

Well, it does sound like you have a pretty specific set of questions. You might get better results inquiring on the specific forums, for the other cruiselines you are considering -- eg: RC, Celebrity, HAL, etc. Trust me, there are folks on those boards who can tell about every food venue onboard every ship -- and their hours of operation! :D Best of luck! :cool:

In my years of cruising I've never seen anyone disembarking the ship a size 2 when they embarked a size 12. So I have to assume everyone managed to eat enough while on the cruise. ;)

Cruising may have a lack of live entertainment, or a lack of quality entertainment, and sometimes they have a lack of loungers by the pool on sea days. :eek: But none can say there is a lack of food on a cruise ship.:p

Seek and ye shall find!

Edited by DirtyDawg

I can see that I came to the right spot. I am really glad all of you were on this ship and know what you are speaking. I must have missed something these past 2 cruises. This was really just a way to voice my concerns but I can see that I was just wasting my time. As with most specific sites there are people that really just know-it-all and this site in no different. I think I will just go elsewhere. I am so sorry to have even opened my mouth. L8TR

I understand the thought of someone at noon but in the past there would always be something available. ie salads cookies or something. Other then soft serve ice cream and the taco/pizza and deli ....nothing. plus these always had very long lines and were understaffed

I admit it has been a while since we've sailed on Carnival (last time was in 2002), but it seemed that between my first cruise on that line in 1994 and the last time, they've added 24-hour pizza. And it seemed the room service menu (24 hour) was pretty decent.

If it is truly important to you to have food available all the time, you might want to look at other lines. I did explain that Princess has food available round the clock (the International Cafe). If you are looking for full sit-down meals, however, I don't think even the cruise lines you've mentioned ever had that, but I could be mistaken. And here's possibly a reason why: the lines will know how often passengers seek out food. If many complain in their post-cruise surveys that they didn't like not being able to get a plate of pasta or a hamburger at 2 am, wouldn't you think they would consider offering this? Princess used to keep their buffet open round the clock, even offering the food that you're probably referring to (at least I'm assuming so). Undoubtedly the early morning traffic wasn't there in the Horizon Court, so the money people at Princess HQs back in Santa Clarita, CA, decided it wasn't worth keeping it open past 11pm (you can get coffee, tea and hot water from the beverage dispensers there, just no food). Instead, they decided to keep the International Cafe open as it takes a lot less maintenance in the middle of the night. You can also get room service 24/7, but the menu is limited unless you're in a suite.

Again, if this is important to you, do a little research so you'll find a cruise line that provides round the clock food. But understand, the food might run more like sandwiches, salads, soups.

And BTW, there's no need to be snarky. The cruise vets posting here are trying to answer your complaint with the realities of cruising.

I can see that I came to the right spot. I am really glad all of you were on this ship and know what you are speaking. I must have missed something these past 2 cruises. This was really just a way to voice my concerns but I can see that I was just wasting my time. As with most specific sites there are people that really just know-it-all and this site in no different. I think I will just go elsewhere. I am so sorry to have even opened my mouth. L8TR

Sorry we couldn't help you -- good luck, elsewhere!